As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC fan going wacky.

DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
It gets loud every few seconds for a seemingly random duration of time. It's driving me nuts.

GPU 53
TEMP1 34
TEMP2 44
TEMP3 30
HDI 44
CORE 15

Those temps are terrible. Could this be a dust build up thing? I tried to use a vacuum cleaner to remove as much dust as possible since I don't have a can of compressed air at the moment but the problem persist. I installed Speed Fan and for whatever reason it displays all 5 of my fans but it only has one fan with an RPM listing.

What is going on?

steam_sig.png
DasUberEdward on

• mechaThormechaThor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Those temps aren't bad at all, though that doesn't really answer the question of your fans. Do you know which fan randomly spikes in RPM?

mechaThor on
    "I sent an e-mail asking why wood elves get +2 Str when other dwarves did not. My response from customer service consisted of five words: 'Wood elves are really strong.' "
  • rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It gets loud every few seconds for a seemingly random duration of time. It's driving me nuts.

GPU 53
    TEMP1 34
    TEMP2 44
    TEMP3 30
    HDI 44
    CORE 15

Those temps are terrible. Could this be a dust build up thing? I tried to use a vacuum cleaner to remove as much dust as possible since I don't have a can of compressed air at the moment but the problem persist. I installed Speed Fan and for whatever reason it displays all 5 of my fans but it only has one fan with an RPM listing.

What is going on?

Danger Will Robinson!

I hope it was an electronics vacuum...
    Regular vacuums have a high potential to damage those sensitive electronics!

If it's loud then one of the fans needs to be replaced or cleaned, there is nothing wrong with it revving up to keep cool. Does this happen while idling? Get a can of air, and dust that mother out real good. That stuff will cause all kinds of hell, heat and havoc after a while. It's especially good at making fans sound like fucking prop aircraft

rfalias on
  • I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    rfalias wrote: »

GPU 53
    TEMP1 34
    TEMP2 44
    TEMP3 30
    HDI 44
    CORE 15

What is going on?

Danger Will Robinson!

I hope it was an electronics vacuum...
    Regular vacuums have a high potential to damage those sensitive electronics!

If it's loud then one of the fans needs to be replaced or cleaned, there is nothing wrong with it revving up to keep cool. Does this happen while idling? Get a can of air, and dust that mother out real good. That stuff will cause all kinds of hell, heat and havoc after a while. It's especially good at making fans sound like fucking prop aircraft
    keep in mind that computer fans are used in a number of ways and can prevent extra heat rather than recool after it's already heated. unless it's really loud it sounds like your computer is fine. keep an eye on the temp for about a week, also try a power cycle to let extra electricity drain, sometimes helps

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah it's consistent and occurring at idle. It's never really done that before. It just spikes loudly for a moment and then goes back down.

After further inspection it seems to be coming from the PSU :(

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah it's consistent and occurring at idle. It's never really done that before. It just spikes loudly for a moment and then goes back down.

Blast it with canned air. Dust build up could be causing excess heat, thus causing the fan to run constantly high.

No vacuums please! Unless it's for electronics.

rfalias on
  • I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

power cycle, should clear it up.

if not new psu time woo

(though you don't need it that instant)

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My PSU fan started clacking profusely, drove me fucking nuts

eventually I just had to get another one, and all problems solved

The Black Hunter on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This could also be caused by some of the barings inside the fan getting worn down, or else just general fan degredation. I've had this happen more often than not with fans smaller than 120 mm. If you can isolate the fan, it's a very simple process to oil it. This has always solved a similar problem for me!

Try to find the fan causing the problems. This may involve running the computer with the case open, and listening carefully. Once you've found the culprit, turn off and unplug your system. Carefully locate the fan and peel back the sticker that you'll find covering the center of the fan. If you can't see the sticker, you'll have to unfasten the fan - it's on the other side in that case. If it's your GPU, be sure to unseat and remove the card before oiling it. Edit: I see it's your PSU fan. It's not really a big deal to access it, but you'll likely have to unscrew the grill over the fan. This may be beyond your comfort zone, so do what feels best for you. Still . . . Cheaper than a new PSU.

Once you've pulled back the sticker, you'll see a small groove/hole under it. Place one or two drops (no more!) of 3-in-One oil in the center. Only use 3-in-One or similar lubricant. WD40 will dry out too quickly, and the wrong kind of oil will damage your fans further. 3-in-One oil may sound exoitic if you've never used it, but you can find it at the grocery store. After adding one or two drops, give the fan a light spin manually, replace the sticker, and you're good to go.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I found which fan was clicking by stopping them

not the smartest thing to do, but nothing broke

The Black Hunter on