As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Molyneux On]Fable 3 Announced! Fable 2: Episodes Announced!

devoirdevoir Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
Fable 3!

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/19/molyneux-announces-fable-iii-at-gamescom/

See link for teaser video.
- Molyneux teases: "I think there's something fundamentally wrong with role-playing games. Game like Fable ... it's been there since the early '80s." Won't say what he thinks it is yet. Will announce later.
- "The race for the crown has begun." Tagline spoken by Zoe Wanamaker/Narrator.
- Game takes place about 50 years after the first. You play as the child of the hero. Bowerstone has continued moving on and has become quite industrial. The game is not just about Albion this time.
- Half the game will be spent trying to ascend to power. The game will not turn into a micromanagement RTS after that point. Judgment and Touch system will be used to influence the world.
- Focus on story and drama in this iteration. Actors and writers have blocked entire scenes. Video shown of practice sessions.
- Asks what type of kingdom will you have: poverty/greed, tyranny/compassion, progress/tradition?
- On the way to the crown, players will make deals and promises to factions. The question is whether people will keep those promises once they're in power.
- Players are a hero ruler -- Molyneux used the example of Star Trek or Caesar, that players won't just be sitting around once they rule Albion. They will still have adventures.
- New gameplay mechanic: Judgment and Touch. Judgment allows the player to dictate the outcome of a situation. The example used was a girl who steals food is brought in front of the ruler. The player can judge her immediately or investigate. Touch will allow players to grab NPCs. Example used was running into a burning building to grab a child who wouldn't come otherwise. Now you can shake someone's hand or refuse to. Handshake leads to hug, to embrace, a "snog," and as for that last one, Molyneux "won't say where it'll lead." This will replace the expression system.

The entire Fable idea is a fairytale twist on European history and myth. What we've settled on is to go about 50 years on from Fable II. So we've loosely chosen the Napoleonic period, and we've started to pull in a bit of Regency, a tiny bit of Victorian, and we're plugging in an early industrial age to Albion. It's a Napoleonic fairytale. - John McCormack, Artist

Let's imagine you're the leader of a town in Fable, people come to you and say, 'We have this disagreement, what do you think we should do?' and you can say, 'I think this person's right.' But then imagine someone comes and says, 'Oh my God, there's a farmer outside of town and he's doing something horrible.' That's not a situation where you can just decide who's right or wrong. This is actually a guy who's killing people - what do you do? It's about making the tasks you're faced with evolve throughout the game and become more elaborate and demanding. - Josh Atkins, Lead Designer

Preview from Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fable-iii-preview?page=1

According to Kotaku, it's slated for 2010.

I will update and make pretty as the info comes.

Also announced is Fable 2: Game Episodes. It's the retail Fable 2 in episodic format, all available through XBL. http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/19/fable-ii-episodic-adventures-revealed-starts-sept-29/

devoir on

• DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Hope it comes to PC this time.

DarkWarrior on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    so, pretty much all for this.
    like one a them RTSes, but with like, more hand shaking and saving a baby from a fire

Local H Jay on
    edited August 2009
    I do think he is losing the plot on what makes this series appealing. THe expression system is the most detestable part of the games and turning into a handshake/hug system doesn't improve it.

DarkWarrior on
  • moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If shitting your pants is detestable, then I don't want to be....testable.

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
    edited August 2009
    Id just rather they work on making a functional streaming world you can traverse with ease with people you give a shit about instead of keep expanding to new islands and crap that doesnt make it any more fun.

DarkWarrior on
  • ImperiusImperius __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Managing a kingdom sounds interesting. I hope there's an in-depth decoration system for your castle. I bet building projects would be nice, too. Building bridges to cut travel times and increase trade, upgrade inns to attract more merchants and mercenaries, and putting statues of yourself all over the place are just some of the possibilities.

Of course, my the son of my Fable II character was born in Fairfax castle to a horned fatass with two million gold and an undead chick in torn stockings. The gap between games was 500 years between one and two. I wonder how they'll handle a gap of just 50 years, with such profound consequences?

Imperius on
    edited August 2009
    what better way to make you care about those people then make them your subjects?
    i certainly saw no reason to interact with the villagers in fable 2, as it was really just a distraction to my mayhem and questing and purchasing of all towns and then jacking up rent prices.
    now, maybe we get to see how our actions play out in a grander scheme then 'olol good or bad, man?'
    i can see some really interesting things coming into play.
    say, you put a tax on one town's imports to improve the local businesses. this causes more money to be made in the town, but other, more diverse items can only be found elsewhere. this might cause towns to 'industrialize' at different rates, affecting the items most used by your kingdom later in the game.

this is all wild, crazy, angry speculation that i will continue to build my hopes up for at a retarded rate.

Local H Jay on
  • Reservoir AngelReservoir Angel __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    I like the judgement thing where Villagers come before you with problems for your judgement. I can imagine it now.

"He stole my bread." You'd expect the king to divide the bread in half, but I on the hand, would divide both men in half with a large axe.

Reservoir Angel on
    edited August 2009
    even better, i eat the bread, and then make them FIGHT TO THE DEATH
    winner has to eat his firstborn son
    SO IT IS WRITTEN

Local H Jay on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This Fable 2 episodic thing seems silly.

I bought the game for £6 the other week. Looking at the games on demand thing, it is obviously going to cost more than that.

LewieP on
    edited August 2009
    SO IT IS WRITTEN
    Why stop there? Have the winner forced to face the player. Mwahahaa!

Reservoir Angel on
  • freelancepolicefreelancepolice Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    This Fable 2 episodic thing seems silly.

I bought the game for £6 the other week. Looking at the games on demand thing, it is obviously going to cost more than that.

Where, pray tell, was it for sale at £6?

freelancepolice on
    steam_sig.png
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    PETER MOLYNEUX IS GOING TO MAKE YOU HIS BITCH

Robman on
    edited August 2009
    Morrisons. Probably no stock left now (it was a clearance dealie). So I guess my point is moot.

LewieP on
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    SO IT IS WRITTEN

The great thing is this will likely possible.

Interesting this announced so soon for Autumn 2010, though. This makes me slightly more confident about Microsoft in 2010. If they're willing to announce Fable III now and Reach at E3, that means two of their big Christmas 2010 games are already on the table. Possibly Crackdown 2 also if that's out that soon.

If they're willing to show this hand so soon, it must mean they've got some stuff (Rare?) lined up for at least E3 next year.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fable 2 was good, but I'd like to see them polish all aspects of the game this time. The overall experience was plagued by bits and pieces of poor design, and one of the most horrible fucking interfaces I've ever encountered. When it shines, it really shines, but it's so bafflingly inconsistent.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited August 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Fable 2 was a good game, but I'd like to see them polish all aspects of the game this time. The overall experience was plagued by bits and pieces of poor design, and one of the most horrible fucking interfaces I've ever encountered. When it shines, it really shines, but it's so bafflingly inconsistent.

When I chatted to Molyneux at E3 this came up and he knows that the interface was horrible. He knows it. The chances of it being that bad again are slim.

APZonerunner on
    edited August 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Fable 2 was good, but I'd like to see them polish all aspects of the game this time. The overall experience was plagued by bits and pieces of poor design, and one of the most horrible fucking interfaces I've ever encountered. When it shines, it really shines, but it's so bafflingly inconsistent.

The magic interface was terrible, I'd take a selection wheel over that. See as always the Fable games are filled with promise but everything is so hollow, you cant talk to most people just dance around like a prat until they sleep with you and most missions are just as hollow and we all knew what would happen to the dog the second he introduced it because hes so obvious in trying to evoke 'emotion'. I'd rather he made a good game because there are lesser games where I care about characters while for all his grandstanding I don't care about anyone in Fable except my dog and thats because its a dog. I kinda cared for the sister but that was it.

DarkWarrior on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dude you need an editor or something.

I liked fable 1 for what it was, a light hearted fantasy romp. It's too bad that magicks borked the game towards the end with that FUCK YOU AOE spell that impaled people with a big magic dick

Robman on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Day 1. Seriously.

urahonky on
    edited August 2009
    I am playing Fable 2 for the start, and yes the interface is horrible, and it really fails in some regards.

However, it is a very playable game too. It's like an RPG that is nothing but grind and fairly fun combat, bit the grinding is very streamlined.

The biggest thing that pissed me off about it:
    There is a bit where you walk up to a treasure chest, in a fantasy RPG, and it is not a locked one (some are locked, and you need keys for, the rest you can just open) and I go to open it, and a dialogue box pops up and says "If you want to know how to open this chest, go to fable2.com"

What the fuck?

LewieP on
    edited August 2009
    I am playing Fable 2 for the start, and yes the interface is horrible, and it really fails in some regards.

However, it is a very playable game too. It's like an RPG that is nothing but grind and fairly fun combat, bit the grinding is very streamlined.

There is a bit where you walk up to a treasure chest, in a fantasy RPG, and it is not a locked one (some are locked, and you need keys for, the rest you can just open) and I go to open it, and a dialogue box pops up and says "If you want to know how to open this chest, go to fable2.com"

What the fuck?

Go to the site and answer the questions to get free stuff.

urahonky on
    edited August 2009

What the fuck?

It's the 'bonus' chest, it's the only one in the game like it. There's a mini story you can play on Fable.com that gives some backstory to Fable 2. Doing so (you sign into your live account first) awards you an item based on the choices you make in the story.

Also if you had any preorder or special edition bonuses like the Halo sword or whatever, they appear in there. It's better than them just appearing in your inventory, I think.

APZonerunner on
    edited August 2009
    Erm, no. I have already paid for the game, I glanced at the site and they wanted me to watch a bunch of promo material to get 'free' stuff. No thanks.

My point isn't "I want the stuff in the box"

My point is "that is utterly horrible game design"

LewieP on
    edited August 2009
    You don't have to do shit, just go to the site and click "Start the Show." Make sure you're signed in.

APZonerunner on
    edited August 2009
    It wouldn't have been difficult to make that box disappear unless there was going to be something in it.

LewieP on
    edited August 2009
    I agree but I moved on from the box. When it told me to go to the site I said "fuck you" and played through the rest of the game. It shouldn't really affect anything Lewie. It's stupid but it's not like you're missing out on the awesome stuff.

urahonky on
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I know it isn't a big deal or anything, but "ignore that treasure chest" goes against everything every single other video has ever taught me. It's really fucking annoying.

LewieP on
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I know it isn't a big deal or anything, but "ignore that treasure chest" goes against everything every single other video has ever taught me. It's really fucking annoying.

Haha so true.

urahonky on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    An awful lot of people are going to be fighting to the death for my amusement when this ships.

An awful lot.

The_Scarab on
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    An awful lot of people are going to be fighting to the death for my amusement when this ships.

An awful lot.

This game is going to play for me like an old D&D campaign I played when I was young. I was a mostly just king... but was rather sadistic towards my court jesters. I hope to god I have an unlimited supply of jesters.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I know that this is a tired theme, but I want to say it: I really enjoyed Fable, and got pretty excited about Fable 2, but it turned into such a boring, simple game that I was really disappointed. The worst part, I thought, was the dog; if it had had some use in combat like it was originally supposed to, it might have been cool, and I would have grown to like it, but instead it just ran around yapping the entire goddamn game.
    When it died at the end, I thought "Ha, I was probably meant to be upset by that, and I would have been if it wasn't handled so ineptly, but as it is I can't stop thinking how funny it is that I'm getting shot now anyway a whole 3 seconds later. Thanks dog for sacrificing yourself so that I could live three seconds more, that's really helpful."
    Also, it was full of these crappy macguffin quests and genre cliches, and they never really explained why we needed the macguffins.
    What was stopping me just shooting thebad guy? Why did we need some fancy ritual? Why did the magic box stop him? All these things just seemed like someone thought they might seem impressive.

Sorry to make such a fuss about it, but basically I felt Fable 2 was much more simplistic, shallow, and boring than it could have been, and I think Molyneaux needs to learn about developing and polishing ideas, rather than constantly adding shiny new things to his games.

AnteCantelope on
    edited August 2009
    "The story continues from the end of Fable II and you play as the child of the Hero of Bowerstone. During the first half of the game you must overthrow the tyrant king and for the second half you are the king/queen and must rule over Albion, with every choice you make change the kingdom itself.[1] The game was announced at the first Gamescom by Microsoft."

So...is Sparrow the Tyrant King or has he been overthrown and a new king taken his place?

Reservoir Angel on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sparrow didn't actually become the King in Fable 2, it was just a title.

devoir on
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So....still no announcement for Fable II PC?
    8[

I don't get it, really.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

edited August 2009
    el_vicio wrote: »
    So....still no announcement for Fable II PC?
    8[

I don't get it, really.

Me either, I got it initially to ensure 360 sales but now its just 'what?'.

DarkWarrior on
    edited August 2009
    devoir wrote: »
    Wasn't one of the quests from See The Future you going to Theresa in the Spire and she shows you a future where Sparrow is king? Or am I just totally wrong

Reservoir Angel on
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well I guess we'll see what happens. Ill buy it no matter what anyways.

And the whole "touch" thing hes trying to get at. Yeah. You can do that in many games. Its called a Grab button. And in some games you can even just grab their arm and move em around. Its been around since Ico buddy.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    devoir wrote: »
    Wasn't one of the quests from See The Future you going to Theresa in the Spire and she shows you a future where Sparrow is king? Or am I just totally wrong

That See The Future thing was to show you as king in Fable 3. The guy you play as in 3 being King. Hes your son/daughter and thus looks like you.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    On the other hand, I wouldn't really be looking forward to that episodic schtick they're pulling (which will amount to more you'd pay now, I assume), but we'll see, I guess.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png