As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Molyneux On]Fable 3 Announced! Fable 2: Episodes Announced!

• devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    el_vicio wrote: »
    On the other hand, I wouldn't really be looking forward to that episodic schtick they're pulling (which will amount to more you'd pay now, I assume), but we'll see, I guess.

What?

I doubt the entire game, bought through XBL in episodic format, will be more than 50USD.

devoir on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I played and completed Fable 2 recently. There was some fun in the features surrounding the central gameplay. But the story and quests felt extremely shallow. It's like they didn't even bother giving the main game an awesome feeling. No production values at all.

Take the Arena for example. This is probably one of the laziest Arena gameplay design I've ever seen in any game ever. I'd even call it pathetic. Plenty of games have done cool arenas before.

This one? It's just a primitive cave-type dungeon like any other dungeon in the game. Walk through rooms with waves of spawning mobs, connected by little hallways. No crowds, no wow moments, no fighter ranking to move through. Just cheap, lazy design.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Fireflash wrote: »
    I played and completed Fable 2 recently. There was some fun in the features surrounding the central gameplay. But the story and quests felt extremely shallow. It's like they didn't even bother giving the main game an awesome feeling. No production values at all.

Take the Arena for example. This is probably one of the laziest Arena gameplay design I've ever seen in any game ever. I'd even call it pathetic. Plenty of games have done cool arenas before.

This one? It's just a primitive cave-type dungeon like any other dungeon in the game. Walk through rooms with waves of spawning mobs, connected by little hallways. No crowds, no wow moments, no fighter ranking to move through. Just cheap, lazy design.

Fable 1 did it better, fighting alongside my ally and making a moral choice at teh end? I loved that and Jack was a more intimidating villain than some old guy who misses his wife.

DarkWarrior on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    Yeah, I know it isn't a big deal or anything, but "ignore that treasure chest" goes against everything every single other video has ever taught me. It's really fucking annoying.

Haven't played FFXII, have you?
    Zodiac Spear! emotargh.gif

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fireflash wrote: »

They hype surrounding Fable II was impossible to live up to. It's Peter's fault really, he dreams really big and tells everyone all about them. After Fable, I knew that what he promises is not necessarily what we're going to get. A lot of features were left out of Fable and I expected Fable II would be exactly the same in this regard.

I had a lot of fun with Fable II because I didn't buy into any of the pre-release hype or read any previews about the game. I expected a sequel to Fable and that's what I got. I expect Fable III to promise the world, won't quite deliver, but still be a fun experience. At the end of the day, I love Fable's style and still want to see more of it.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sorry to make such a fuss about it, but basically I felt Fable 2 was much more simplistic, shallow, and boring than it could have been, and I think Molyneaux needs to learn about developing and polishing ideas, rather than constantly adding shiny new things to his games.
    I really didn't care for the end "battle" in Fable II.
    So, the guy kills my sister, shoots and nearly kills me, I go through ALL of the shit I do up to and including becoming a guard/prisoner on the death citadel thing just to make it to the end guy...and that douchebag of a "hero" rogue shoots him before I get to? What the FUCK? Oh my god, I haven't been that pissed at a game's storyline/mechanic in a while. Way to make me care about the story and then rip any chance at vengeance away from me there, devs. The WHOLE goddamned story is built on your getting vengeance and you take the one opportunity to get it away. Ugh.

That said, the one area I do believe the series does and has always shined has been its atmosphere. Lionhead absolutely nailed that for both games, so hopefully they'll continue to do so with this third installment.

Halfmex on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The number 1 thing I was disappointed in was the co-op was incredibly lame.

urahonky on
    edited August 2009
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Sorry to make such a fuss about it, but basically I felt Fable 2 was much more simplistic, shallow, and boring than it could have been, and I think Molyneaux needs to learn about developing and polishing ideas, rather than constantly adding shiny new things to his games.
    I really didn't care for the end "battle" in Fable II.
    So, the guy kills my sister, shoots and nearly kills me, I go through ALL of the shit I do up to and including becoming a guard/prisoner on the death citadel thing just to make it to the end guy...and that douchebag of a "hero" rogue shoots him before I get to? What the FUCK? Oh my god, I haven't been that pissed at a game's storyline/mechanic in a while. Way to make me care about the story and then rip any chance at vengeance away from me there, devs. The WHOLE goddamned story is built on your getting vengeance and you take the one opportunity to get it away. Ugh.

That said, the one area I do believe the series does and has always shined has been its atmosphere. Lionhead absolutely nailed that for both games, so hopefully they'll continue to do so with this third installment.

If ytou act faster he doesnt kill him, you do.

DarkWarrior on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    The number 1 thing I was disappointed in was the co-op was incredibly lame.

yeah, this was my gripe. i imagined pairing up with my friend, doing quests and trading and doing awesome shit.
    i started it up was all THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT
    they should have never said anything about it since it was just awfully implemented.
    that said, fable 3 better have some good fucking co-op.

Local H Jay on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If ytou act faster he doesnt kill him, you do.
    I was mashing the button because I thought there was some 'window of opportunity' that I had to act on in order to take him out, but I stopped trying once I noticed my actions weren't doing anything, and there wasn't any "ok, NOW you can kill him" type of indicator. So at the very least, it was a poorly-constructed sequence. The other guy shouldn't even have been able to shoot him at all.

Halfmex on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just read the news. My reaction? "WOO!"

I think I am going to go replay Fable 2 for the bazillionth time.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited August 2009
    well, that was his character, capitalizing the moment of your weakness to steal glory.
    reaver was designed so you wouldn't like him.

Local H Jay on
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    devoir wrote: »
    el_vicio wrote: »
    On the other hand, I wouldn't really be looking forward to that episodic schtick they're pulling (which will amount to more you'd pay now, I assume), but we'll see, I guess.

What?

I doubt the entire game, bought through XBL in episodic format, will be more than 50USD.

That's my point, the 360 disc is what, 30$ now?

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Reservoir AngelReservoir Angel __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    well, that was his character, capitalizing the moment of your weakness to steal glory.
    And yet ever since he called me a little minx I find myself unable to dislike him. Plus Stephen Fry's voice makes everything excusable. Even trying to betray me and hand me over to Lucien.

Reservoir Angel on
    edited August 2009
    And yet ever since he called me a little minx I find myself unable to dislike him. Plus Stephen Fry's voice makes everything excusable. Even trying to betray me and hand me over to Lucien.

Nope, it makes his voice lovable but I still wanted the opportunity to slaughter that prick.

DarkWarrior on
    edited August 2009
    I loved Fable 2. I thought it lived up to all expectation and then some. Though the menu/interface was oddly FUBAR considering it was pretty good in Fable 1.

The only major improvements I would like to see are:

The addition of an "open-world" as opposed to zones. Hell I thought the first Fable should have been open world.

No tether co-op. At the very least for Xbox Live. You can drop local co-op altogether if it will make that happen.

Better interface.

More weapons. Not sure what Peter has against shields. :(

Lastly, someone post that pic of the Halo SPARTAN armor. That was badass!

edit- found it.

halo-fable-2.jpg

It's actually called "Hal's Outfit"

Axen on
    edited August 2009
    Nope, it makes his voice lovable but I still wanted the opportunity to slaughter that prick.
    Seriously, that guy was a shit and I wanted nothing more than to cram my magical katana down his smug little throat and put my unique blunderbuss to one side of his head and pull the trigger. Fuck that guy. Especially when the other two heroes were perfectly decent people.

Halfmex on
    edited August 2009

Maybe I've just got a mental thing where I can't stay made at people with that sort of distinctive British accent.

But who nows, maybe you'll get access to that place Garth and Reaver go at the end of Fable 2 and run into him again and seek revenge for the injustice of robbing Sparrow of his kill.

Reservoir Angel on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Reaver was a great character, shame that we meet him so close to the end of the main quest.

Silpheed on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    I loved Fable 2. I thought it lived up to all expectation and then some. Though the menu/interface was oddly FUBAR considering it was pretty good in Fable 1.

I gotta agree. I absolutely loved both Fable games. They're both great fun. Hell I bought my 360 for Fable 2, and you know what? I wasn't disappointed with it.

Zerokku on
    edited August 2009
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Reaver was a great character, shame that we meet him so close to the end of the main quest.
    Yeah but given his character it makes sense. He wouldn't have joined us if he had a choice. Can you imagine Reaver voluntarily fighting with us to get to Westcliff?

Reservoir Angel on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    devoir wrote: »
    - New gameplay mechanic: Judgment and Touch. Judgment allows the player to dictate the outcome of a situation. The example used was a girl who steals food is brought in front of the ruler. The player can judge her immediately or investigate. Touch will allow players to grab NPCs. Example used was running into a burning building to grab a child who wouldn't come otherwise. Now you can shake someone's hand or refuse to. Handshake leads to hug, to embrace, a "snog," and as for that last one, Molyneux "won't say where it'll lead." This will replace the expression system.

Excuse me, the proper term is GLOMP. Get it right!

KiTA on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wait you can make out with little kids in fable 3? Truly molyneux is ushering in a new age of player choice driven storytelling.

Robman on
    edited August 2009
    Oh and they ened to fucking fix the customisation, I seem to recall the first game having a huge selection of outfits to mix together.

In this its bordering on as bad as GTA4, seemed to have poor, medium and snob clothes and the odd outfit like assassins coat, was difficult to make someone who looked good. Plus the inability to preview hairstyles and tatoos until you've already bought them.

DarkWarrior on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I enjoyed Fable 2 but my fiancee loved it. I know the dog didn't work for a lot of people but it definitely did on her.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The glittery trail thing is a nice idea too, but it seems to get confused from time to time.

LewieP on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh and they ened to fucking fix the customisation, I seem to recall the first game having a huge selection of outfits to mix together.

In this its bordering on as bad as GTA4, seemed to have poor, medium and snob clothes and the odd outfit like assassins coat, was difficult to make someone who looked good. Plus the inability to preview hairstyles and tatoos until you've already bought them.

Fable 2 had way more clothes than Fable 1, and there was actually a point to wearing something other than the big gold plated armor at the end of the game (unlike Fable 1), because what you were wearing did nothing to your actual stats.

FyreWulff on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The Dog was the best part of the game. It was so fluid in movement and emotions. Which made the massively predictable demise all the more annoying. It's as though Molyneux was right there on my couch going 'hahaha this is depth you idiot look at how you love it. LOVE MOTHERFUCKER'.

Also the UI was literally the worst UI in any game, on any platform, since maybe the early 90s.

The_Scarab on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    All I ask out of Fable 3 is no more tethered-screen co-op. That really killed the legs on playing Fable 2 co-op with my Live buddies.

FyreWulff on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I still haven't given up hope of a Fable 2 PC port. It's still waiting to be announced at Gamescom. Lionhead and Microsoft just haven't gotten around to saying anything about it yet.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited August 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Fable 2 had way more clothes than Fable 1, and there was actually a point to wearing something other than the big gold plated armor at the end of the game (unlike Fable 1), because what you were wearing did nothing to your actual stats.

Yeah I was just about to say this. Fable 2 trounced Fable 1 when it came to clothing options. Plus you could recolor every piece of clothing too. I wish there was armor sets as well as clothing sets though. By that I mean I wish there were armor pieces, they don't need to have any different stats from the clothing, I just wanted to dress my dude up like a gun-toting Knight.

Axen on
    edited August 2009
    Axen wrote: »

Yeah I was just about to say this. Fable 2 trounced Fable 1 when it came to clothing options. Plus you could recolor every piece of clothing too. I wish there was armor sets as well as clothing sets though. By that I mean I wish there were armor pieces, they don't need to have any different stats from the clothing, I just wanted to dress my dude up like a gun-toting Knight.

If this is true then it was still poor choice, it seemed designed to either make you look like an aristocrat or a pauper, making your guy look like a hero was impossible for me to achieve, i just had to go with the pirate boots, the checkered dark pants and then throw on a bunch of tattoos to try and make him look a little formidable.

DarkWarrior on
    edited August 2009

I really liked being able to wear what I wanted based solely on looks. I also like that I could be an adventurer who wore clothing. There's so many fantasy novels, tv shows, movies, etc. that depict warriors who wore little to no armor. I'm glad we finally got a game like that. I made my guy look like, what I thought was a battlemage. I loved the outfit I had.

However, that said, I would have liked if there were some armor choices. It was simply a shame to play a fantasy game without any armor whatsoever. I really liked the armor designs in the first game, I was hoping for more in II.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I really liked being able to wear what I wanted based solely on looks. I also like that I could be an adventurer who wore clothing. There's so many fantasy novels, tv shows, movies, etc. that depict warriors who wore little to no armor. I'm glad we finally got a game like that. I made my guy look like, what I thought was a battlemage. I loved the outfit I had.

However, that said, I would have liked if there were some armor choices. It was simply a shame to play a fantasy game without any armor whatsoever. I really liked the armor designs in the first game, I was hoping for more in II.

There are a couple, though only a couple. The ranger clothing has a rather large breastplate and one of the DLCs, I don't remember which, has some armor in it.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I loved Fable 2 but it was really damn easy. Prolly my only real complaint. More than likely day 1.

corin7 on
    edited August 2009
    I had one evil dude. He was vastly overweight, didn't wear a shirt, had pants that came with a large belt, I think pirate boots, bald, bigass beard, an eye patch, and he carried a bigass 2-handed axe. You did not want to mess with him.

I also had a good female who was also pretty badass looking. She used a katana and flintlock pistol.

That reminds me, Fable 3 better have holsters and scabbards! Fable 2's NPCs mocked me with their fancy holsters/scabbards that I could never have!

I wish it was easy to take pictures of your characters and post them online.

edit- When I mentioned armor, I didn't mean armor that had defensive stats or the like, just more clothing options that looked like armor.

Axen on
    edited August 2009
    my only character was similar, but completely maxed out on evil/ corruption while still happily married.
    i used this traveler's coat dyed grey, some awesome pirate pants, the boots from the spire, and a bandana on my head (the horns really stood out this way)
    i dislike that on corrupted players the dark skin, made it very hard to see any tattoos. this could have easily been solved by adding tattoo dyes too. it seems like it makes sense... also once you got that evil hair styles are pretty much useless. i had the two-handed axe with veins, dealt 99 damage
    and the master flintock with the 100 damage. i only had fire and sword spells so to avoid confusion in battle, and my dude was BEEFY, lvl 5 strength and i always had celery to keep my dude in shape
    (minor gripe: why is it so damn easy to gain weight eating ANYTHING but after running across the kingdom 3 times i lose NOTHING?)

Local H Jay on
    edited August 2009
    I've GOT a good and pure guy with the Red Dragon pistol and the Daichi, as well as tons of Will-Lines.

And I'm working on two other guys:

A good but corrupt guy who's hideously fat and a total dickhead to everybody so nobody likes him

A bad gay who is also hideously fat, with gnarly horns and focused purely on magic.

Reservoir Angel on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have a good guy, who roams the Earth in his King's costume from the "See The Future" DLC. He took the Needs of the Many, and has been depressed ever since. He's wrestling with being a good guy, because he hates his current whore wife who will not produce children, and longs for his old wife and trusty dog. Since he does not kill anyone who doesn't deserve it, he can't get his dog back. He's awesome and has a great tragic backstory.

I just made it through the Spire with my evil woman. She's a cold hearted bitch who will shoot you for looking at her Bloodhound wrong. She's not nearly as fun to play as, because "I kill everything" is decent gameplay, but honestly I got really into the story of my 1st guy.

This game is a day 1 purchase, and I really, REALLY hope is like Mass Effect, in the sense it will build off my Fable 2 save.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    edited August 2009
    I just want to say... I hate the fucking halo. I wish I could just turn it off. I've been craving some Fable II lately, so I think I'm gonna download the DLC. If I continue with my current character, I'm gonna kill some innocents to get rid of it. :evil: Choosing the needs of many is a sure way to get a halo, but placed in a situation like that myself, I couldn't make any other choice.

I want to make two more characters and I've been meaning to for awhile. My first character is just everything maxed out. The next characters I make are gonna focus and even ignore strength stats so I can get a specific look.

I want a sickly thin wizard. He'll probably be as evil and corrupt as it gets. I also want a gunslinger chick. I'm gonna ignore strength with her too so she isn't a beefcake. I may make her pure and evil, but I haven't decided yet. I want both these characters to be feared. I'm kinda tired of having everyone love me in these games. :lol:

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png