As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moment of the Week - August 19, 2009

FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Graphic Violence
Oh, hey, nobody's made this yet.

My moment of the week is definitely X-Men Legacy, where Karla gets a bit of what she deserves.
Rogue, Danger, and Gambit catch up with Trance who is going nuclear. Her powers are fucking up, she's about ready to explode, and Rogue is trying to talk her down. That's when Karla catches up with them, and this happens.

img027.jpgimg028.jpgimg029.jpg

There is never enough Karla Sofen face punching.

do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
Faynor on

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It was a small week for me, and I've only read one book so far, but I enjoyed the one that I've read.

Blackest Night Superman --
    The panel in which the Black Lantern is looking at Superman and he sees 5 colors of the spectrum. It was awesome. Superman was Fear, Will, Rage, Hope, and Love all at the same time.

It would be cool if someone could provide a scan.

Lucascraft on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I only got the "6 hours to kill" Punisher MAX tpb but it was good.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Oh, hey, nobody's made this yet.

My moment of the week is definitely X-Men Legacy, where Karla gets a bit of what she deserves.
    Rogue, Danger, and Gambit catch up with Trance who is going nuclear. Her powers are fucking up, she's about ready to explode, and Rogue is trying to talk her down. That's when Karla catches up with them, and this happens.

img027.jpgimg028.jpgimg029.jpg

There is never enough Karla Sofen face punching.

Darn it Faynor, all I see are Xs.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Really? It's from my photobucket. Hm...

I don't think it's set to private, if you want to go that route?

Faynor on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    the images work for me

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Batman: Streets of Gotham #3 was it:
    Dick's response to Hush draining Wayne of his fortune, after Elliot bought his old house back, he runs into the executive commission to determine proper use of the funds:

bsog3b.jpg

bsog3c.jpg

bsog3d.jpg

bsog3e.jpg

And Superman: Blackest Night #1 was very good. I wasn't going to pick it up until I saw Robinson was writing it. But I swear to God if they even think about killing Krypto during this event and make him Cujo (the lawyer) I am going hit Didio with a boxing glove arrow.
    Superman is Captain Planet all along:

sbn1a.jpg

sbn1b.jpg

sbn1c.jpg

Take THAT, Jimmy Carter!

TexiKen on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Fucking hell that is some terrible art. Streets of Gotham, that plot about taking heroes from their important duties to babysit because Dick won't get the job done was bad but I really like the Zsasz part though he kinda looks like Mr Freeze now. Pre-accident obviously.

DarkWarrior on
    edited August 2009
    It was more a threat to Hush to know they're out there to keep him in line, I doubt they'll be babysitting him all the time. Zatanna could do it alone with one of her spells which would give Dini an excuse to have her show up all the time.

TexiKen on
    edited August 2009
    You don't like Nguyen's art? He uses a minimalist style that I actually really like. His long run on Detective Comics was great.

Lucascraft on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fucking hell that is some terrible art. Streets of Gotham, that plot about taking heroes from their important duties to babysit because Dick won't get the job done was bad but I really like the Zsasz part though he kinda looks like Mr Freeze now. Pre-accident obviously.

Your "goodometer" seems to be broken because that art isn't bad at all.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited August 2009
    I'm talking about the Superman comic. Look at his waist in that last panel and his face in the last 2. Or his arm for that matter. Jesus.

Streets of Gotham made me like Damien though, he knows what he needs to do, fecking Dick ruined it.

DarkWarrior on
    edited August 2009
    He's Superman punching a zombie in the face! It's good!

TexiKen on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, that art isn't bad at all. I'm getting shads of Manke from it.

Bloods End on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Streets of Gotham made me like Damien though, he knows what he needs to do

Bang Katana?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2009

Bang Katana?

That makes it twice that Dick got in the way.

DarkWarrior on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    BN: Superman
    For all the kung-fu and kryptonian martial arts and other nonsense Superman knows, I would just once like to see him do something other than punch stuff. He's the fucking Balrog of comics - he can't even kick.

Liked the multiple emotions thing, but surprised it hasn't been shown anywhere else, like in the main series or Green Lantern. Thought it was mostly a matter of only being able to have one strong emotion at a time. Like, if youre will is strong, you can still feel fear, but it'll show up green on the black lantern-o-meter for emotions since it's stronger.

KVW on
    edited August 2009
    Have you ever tried flying and kicking at the same time? It's hella hard.

TexiKen on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Bang Katana?

Who'd expect a man named Dick to be a professional cockblocker.

Anyway, I was reading S_D to see if what I assumed would happen in DD #500 did.
    That Matt would take over the Hand.

It did.

This must be what it feels like to be Wiggin.

Crimsondude on
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Have you ever tried flying and kicking at the same time? It's hella hard.

Forward, Forward + High Kick.

How fucking hard is that?!

Slagmire on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

It did.

It's also on covers to future issues.

Batgirl #1
    batgirlspoiler.jpg

Cassie stripped on a rooftop and gave it to Spoiler or something. I havent been to the shop yet, just from what Ive seen online.

KVW on
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I flipped through the issue of Batgirl #1 at the store, but I didn't get it.

Lucascraft on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009

Bang Katana?

It did.

What

To call something way in advance and everyone says "nuh uh" but then you're right

Say for example Iron Fists dying at 33

(I still don't know where I read that, and I haven't been able to find it again)

Anyway, new Hellblazer was a fucking heartbreaker and Ian Rankin's Hellblazer graphic novel (literally, it's a little hardcover book about the same size as a regular book) was fucking awesome

John gets called in when a haunted house reality shows seems to be really haunted and ends up as a contestant so he can diagnose it from the inside
    Turns out all the other contestants are dead and the show is actually taking place in hell and is run and watched by demons

Me Too! on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    KVW wrote: »
    It's also on covers to future issues.

Can't I just have this totally undeserved moment of gloating.

You already denied me might rightful trades from your contest last week.
    Me Too! wrote: »
    What

To call something way in advance and everyone says "nuh uh" but then you're right

Yeah... No. That surprised no one.

Crimsondude on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »

Bang Katana?

It did.

What

(I still don't know where I read that, and I haven't been able to find it again)

Anyway, new Hellblazer was a fucking heartbreaker and Ian Rankin's Hellblazer graphic novel (literally, it's a little hardcover book about the same size as a regular book) was fucking awesome

John gets called in when a haunted house reality shows seems to be really haunted and ends up as a contestant so he can diagnose it from the inside
    Turns out all the other contestants are dead and the show is actually taking place in hell and is run and watched by demons

But Danny didn't die. I guess you fucked up, Wiggins.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Have Blackest Night Batman and Superman been good?

I may have to order them. Grr...

HadjiQuest on
    edited August 2009
    DD#500's main story was ok, and has some fun with Master Izo, but the Ann Nocenti/David Aja story was golden. Aja's art was great, and captured that emphasis on the normal person seeing a fight between a superhero and villain.

She totally needs to come back to Marvel to write something. A Foggy Nelson mini or something.

TexiKen on
    edited August 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Have Blackest Night Batman and Superman been good?

I may have to order them. Grr...

BN: Batman was quite good. It was written by Tomasi and I highly recommend it.

BN: Superman was okay, but Robinson writes a pretty weak Smallville. His characters were all so overtly hickish that it was almost commical. The first few pages were hard to read. It gets better towards the end of the book when the action shifts away from the town.

Lucascraft on
    edited August 2009
    I never read the bulk of Rucka's Adventures of Superman run, but when did Pete go from being VP to working at a country store?

TexiKen on
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, that confused me too.

Also, the woman "Molly" did not fit the setting at all. Like, at all. At first I thought it was Lois due to her hotness. But no, it was just some random hot bitch from Smallville.

Lucascraft on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I haven't read much yet, but Outsiders #21 was pretty enjoyable.
    Alfred assigns them to hunt down three of the rogues that escaped from Gotham after Arkham was destroyed: Killer Croc, who is now in Louisiana, Clayface, now in Montana, and Mr. Freeze, in Alaska. Owlman and BL find Mr. Freeze and defeat him, and Owlman decides to remove the device Black Mask implanted in him during Battle For The Cowl.

I do have one question though:
    The threat that Alfred is talking about; is that about Blackest Night: Batman? I figure it is, since Tomasi's writing that too.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
    edited August 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    DD#500's main story was ok, and has some fun with Master Izo, but the Ann Nocenti/David Aja story was golden. Aja's art was great, and captured that emphasis on the normal person seeing a fight between a superhero and villain.

She totally needs to come back to Marvel to write something. A Foggy Nelson mini or something.

The best part about DD 500 was the reprinting of #191 by Frank Miller. That has got to be my favorite single issue of any comic.

Futt Bucker on
    edited August 2009
    I'll post some of the splash pages later. The Zircher and Rafael Grampa ones were very good.

TexiKen on
    edited August 2009
    Alfred assigns them to hunt down three of the rogues that escaped from Gotham after Arkham was destroyed: Killer Croc, who is now in Louisiana, Clayface, now in Montana, and Mr. Freeze, in Alaska. Owlman and BL find Mr. Freeze and defeat him, and Owlman decides to remove the device Black Mask implanted in him during Battle For The Cowl.

The threat that Alfred is talking about; is that about Blackest Night: Batman? I figure it is, since Tomasi's writing that too.

So was
    Freeze actually doing anything or just living his life until the 'heroes' came to return him to an asylum?

DarkWarrior on
    edited August 2009

So was
    Freeze actually doing anything or just living his life until the 'heroes' came to return him to an asylum?
    He was killing people and trying to remove the device himself. Also there was a panel earlier that had him being sad over Nora.

Futt Bucker on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Did they mention how she came back to life as a mud monster?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2009
    No.

Futt Bucker on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was really hoping Rogue would say something like, "Do you know what I did to the last Ms. Marvel?"

"The same thing I do to everyone else."

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited August 2009
    My MotW:

Daredevil #500
    Goddamnit I love the Black Tarantula.

Lucascraft on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ringo wrote: »
    I was really hoping Rogue would say something like, "Do you know what I did to the last Ms. Marvel?"

"The same thing I do to everyone else."

Meh, I can see why Carey didn't go for that, he had her say stuff like that during the previous arc when there was a fake Danger Room Ms. Marvel.

Faynor on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yes but see then I made it into that line and you're supposed to laugh

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG