As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Name this game thread

• SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Exin wrote: »
    Seeks wrote: »
    So, there was this game I used to play all the time when I was a kid. I think it was an NES game. It was a top-down shmup, where you were a dragon.

I recall the first (I think) level had lots of greenery and rivers and shit. And I think maybe you could change forms with powerups? Maybe grow additional heads? Not sure about that though.

Anyone know of top-down dragon shmups on the NES?

Dragon Spirit.

Oh my god, thank you. That shit's been nagging at me for years.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, there was this game I used to play all the time when I was a kid. I think it was an NES game. It was a top-down shmup, where you were a dragon.

I recall the first (I think) level had lots of greenery and rivers and shit. And I think maybe you could change forms with powerups? Maybe grow additional heads? Not sure about that though.

Dragon Spirit.

Any wimp could beat the game as a gold dragon but you needed some skillz to beat it as a blue one.

emnmnme on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Dragon Spirit.

What was the other one that was based on the D&D Dragons? You could choose a gold, silver or bronze dragon and each had different breath weapons.

see317 on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    And I have another one. I think this one was also Genesis. I'm not sure if this would classify as a beat-em up or a side scrolling shooter. But I can only really remember one level.
    The level I remember had you running to the right and there were like these hangars. Every so often when you'd pass one a ship would fly out of it and start attacking you. and when you got to the last hangar a ship flew out of it and I think it was a boss fight. And I think the next level involved you flying over a forest or you started over a forest or something. That is really all I can remember about that game.

If anyone can tell me what either of these games were called, I'd love you!

Ranger X, great game

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    see317 wrote: »

Dragon Spirit.

What was the other one that was based on the D&D Dragons? You could choose a gold, silver or bronze dragon and each had different breath weapons.

dragonstrike

also
    #1) You play a high school kid. First stage starts in a classroom. It has you rapidly hitting the joystick left or right to push students out of their chairs with your ass as you make your way up to the door to leave the class. You have to wait for the teacher to write on the chalkboard so he doesn't catch you otherwise he'll come down and kick your ass. Overheard view. I don't remember the other levels.

i have definitely played this game, and its driving me nuts now

Ah_Pook on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Someone tell me the NES or possibly Genesis? Game that had like orcs and goblins and stuff and you sailed around a 2d world map on a little tiny boat and would sometimes recruit dudes. It was like D&D plus chess a bit?

I don't remember too much else besides that. Don't even recall a story of any kind.

Goose! on
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm trying to remember this old 2-d game, about 10 years ago maybe for the Mac, where you controlled a circle with the mouse in an arena and had to accomplish an objective like "collect the stars" or "break the objects" while dodging/shooting increasingly difficult foes and avoiding obstacles. After the objective was complete the door in the bottom would open and you'd go through it to move on.

The most distinctive thing I remember were the power ups. For armor you'd normally first get rubber which would allow you to survive impacts with obstacles and later on the shredder which would destroy anything that came near you. For weapons all I can remember were the multi-fire and guided missile shot upgrades.

Tertiee on
  • evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tertiee wrote: »
    I'm trying to remember this old 2-d game, about 10 years ago maybe for the Mac, where you controlled a circle with the mouse in an arena and had to accomplish an objective like "collect the stars" or "break the objects" while dodging/shooting increasingly difficult foes and avoiding obstacles. After the objective was complete the door in the bottom would open and you'd go through it to move on.

The most distinctive thing I remember were the power ups. For armor you'd normally first get rubber which would allow you to survive impacts with obstacles and later on the shredder which would destroy anything that came near you. For weapons all I can remember were the multi-fire and guided missile shot upgrades.

That sounds vaguely like Crystal Quest.

evilmrhenry on
  • Stryker43Stryker43 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Perhaps you fine folks can jog my memory...

Way back, I used to play a game at my relative's house. It was a PC puzzle game, where you had to get a catepillar to some objective (I think it was a basket). You used fans and trampolines to move the catepillar, and if memory serves, the mouse cursor was a paddle you could whack the catepillar with.

I never finished it, and I'd love to take another crack at it.

Stryker43 on
    camo_sig2.png
    XBL/PSN/Origin/NNID: StrykerFL GuildWars/GW2: Anton Firemaker FFRK: erNA
    edited August 2009
    That sounds vaguely like Crystal Quest.

Thank you for helping me identify a game I have been trying to name for nearly a decade. As you said it only vaguely sounds like Crystal Quest but when I did some looking around I found a sequel called Crystal Crazy which was exactly what I had played.

Tertiee on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey here is one for you guys.

The year is 1997 and I am in my middle schools computer lab and supposed to be doing a report but I am not. I am playing an arcade shootem'up. Now its very basic but with nice 2-D graphics. From what I remember the spaceship that you used looked like a top down view of the V-Wing from Rogue Squadron but with a blue and silver color scheme. The power up you recieved would just widen your ship and alow you to shoot more bullets and I think some homing missles. It had boss battles but they were just large enemies with nothing special and it all took place in space.

Any idea?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey here is one for you guys.

The year is 1997 and I am in my middle schools computer lab and supposed to be doing a report but I am not. I am playing an arcade shootem'up. Now its very basic but with nice 2-D graphics. From what I remember the spaceship that you used looked like a top down view of the V-Wing from Rogue Squadron but with a blue and silver color scheme. The power up you recieved would just widen your ship and alow you to shoot more bullets and I think some homing missles. It had boss battles but they were just large enemies with nothing special and it all took place in space.

Any idea?

I've played that game. But the name escapes me because this practically describes every SHMUP from around that time.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Raptor ?

Here's a good screenshot of it

http://www.ibiblio.org/GameBytes/issue19/greviews/raptor1.gif

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This one has been bothering me for years.

there was a game I played on a radio shack Tandy computer demo. you were some kind of knight and was trying to cross a bridge into a castle. there was some fire that would fly at you and some other things. I can't seam to remember the rest of them. any ideas on what it might have been?

Artoria on
  • AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I also have a game in need of identifying if possible.

I played a few times back around the end of Elementary school. It was a computer game with a 3rd person view from behind and you were a dinosaur with a gun(I think) and a jetpack. The objective was to collect eggs and bring them back to the teleporter before the time limit was up (possibly due to the world blowing up or something.) There was a lava section as well.

Adellios on
    edited August 2009
    Adellios wrote: »

I played a few times back around the end of Elementary school. It was a computer game with a 3rd person view from behind and you were a dinosaur with a gun(I think) and a jetpack. The objective was to collect eggs and bring them back to the teleporter before the time limit was up (possibly due to the world blowing up or something.) There was a lava section as well.

Nanosaur. I think this came default on every new iMac our school got as well.

Tertiee on
  • AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Thanks very much. I almost thought it didn't exist due to Jetpack-raptor absurdness.

Adellios on
  • ScabiesScabies The InternetRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    hey guise heres one:
    You have a gun (maybe several)
    Everything is brown or like this urban gray...
    Can't think of anything else distinguishing about it... caniget some help?

Scabies on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Scabies wrote: »
    hey guise heres one:

Call of Quaking Doom Gears 2

nlawalker on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    hey guise heres one:

Hmm, I'd suggest Shadow of the Colossus, but than doesn't have guns. It has a bow, though, did you happen to get that mixed up?

jothki on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    dragonsama wrote: »

there was a game I played on a radio shack Tandy computer demo. you were some kind of knight and was trying to cross a bridge into a castle. there was some fire that would fly at you and some other things. I can't seam to remember the rest of them. any ideas on what it might have been?

Holy old. I'm pretty sure this is Dragon Fire, and I think I remember reading hints for it in Home Office Computing back in the day.

Orogogus on
    edited August 2009
    nlawalker wrote: »
    hey guise heres one:

maybe.. were there shields or plasma grenades or mechanical limbs or jump puzzles or snowboarding or cooking recipies or.. I think the term is "drifting?"

Also something about this magnetic gravity ball that you make bigger balls with, and your boss has epic junk. That and you can make your own levels, but most people are as excited about searching for and downloading them as they are for trawling Youtube for AMVs...

Scabies on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    hey guise heres one:

maybe.. were there shields or plasma grenades or mechanical limbs or jump puzzles or snowboarding or cooking recipies or.. I think the term is "drifting?"

Also something about this magnetic gravity ball that you make bigger balls with, and your boss has epic junk. That and you can make your own levels, but most people are as excited about searching for and downloading them as they are for trawling Youtube for AMVs...

Chip's Challenge?

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Madpanda wrote: »

AAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was coming in this thread to request this game. But please, make sure I have it right. Was this the game that you could beat several times in a row, keeping all of your upgrades and continually upgrading over and over, discovering secret levels?

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
    edited August 2009

Did this have hand-drawn Disney-esque graphics?

If so.... Dragon's Lair?

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    uean wrote: »

Did this have hand-drawn Disney-esque graphics?

If so.... Dragon's Lair?

On a Tandy?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Opty on
    edited August 2009
    ...wow...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Opty wrote: »

I was going to mention this, but then I thought maybe Santa was objecting to the description of hand-drawn Disney-esque graphics. I think I remember the PC/C64 version (the first thing you had to do was get on a floating platform and not let evil clouds blow you off, and I never got any farther than that), and it didn't look hand-drawn or Disneyesque by any stretch of the imagination.

Orogogus on
    edited August 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    hey guise heres one:

Chip's Challenge?
    THATS IT! ohh the music AND THE DAMN ICE

Scabies on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Nice, someone referenced LabView to describe a game! :^:
    When I was a Sophomore in college I made a game in LabView.
    I had to take this Computers in the Sciences class as a requirement for my CompSci degree, and there was a two or three week section on LabView. Having already taken a couple of programming classes, it was mostly old hat stuff. I was basically digging around in it the whole time, except for when he was explaining the basic UI. By the time he was explaining to (most of) the rest of the class what an IF block did, I was already little toys.

When it came time for the project for that section, each group/person had the option of making either a psych survey VI, or an automatic feeder tool. I asked him if I could make a game (since I had one half done at the time) since the main goal was to prove knowledge of the concepts. He let me.

It was one of those puzzles where you have a grid of lights/tiles that can be in two states, and when you change one it changes the state of the ones around it and you need get them all to be the same state. It was pretty fun to code. The problem is, with the way LabView handled variables and flow and stuff, I wasn't able to get it set up to have the input and output be done with the same set off of LEDs. It worked if i had 2 1d arrays of LEDs along the border to control, but that was clunky.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Orogogus wrote: »

Holy old. I'm pretty sure this is Dragon Fire, and I think I remember reading hints for it in Home Office Computing back in the day.

wow that was it. I remember trying to get into the castle and failing every time. Of course I was only about 7 at the time.

Artoria on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Thanks very much. I almost thought it didn't exist due to Jetpack-raptor absurdness.

Poor Maxwell Adams. Someone beat him to his idea.

Adus on
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hmm, we should do a game with this, I used to frequent the HOTU forum and every so often someone would take a screenshot, blur it completely and reveal spots on it and people would try to guess the game. We did it with old games back then but it could be fun to try again.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

AAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was coming in this thread to request this game. But please, make sure I have it right. Was this the game that you could beat several times in a row, keeping all of your upgrades and continually upgrading over and over, discovering secret levels?

According to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raptor:_Call_of_the_Shadows
    "Once a player beats a Sector, they can replay it with all the money and weapons that they have accumulated."

So possibly?

I haven't played it in ~12 years so your guess is as good as mine.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
    edited August 2009

AAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to

"Once a player beats a Sector, they can replay it with all the money and weapons that they have accumulated."

So possibly?

I had a good look through and it turns out it was Tyrian. I've played Raptor as well.

If you haven't already and like shmups, try it out. Its easier which is what makes it so fun - you can replay through it however much you want in a single sitting maxxingout all sorts of statis, guns, sidepod guns, extra ships, finding secret levels that contain secret weapons that you can then take back with you to devestate the mission 1-1 stuff and making you spend the rest of the game AVOIDING weapons to keep your awesome toy. Best part I liked was probably all the secret weapons and the fact you could upgrade them over 10 times. Unrealy replayability.

The huge list of cheat codes and hidden minigames were cool too.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
    edited August 2009

AAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to

So possibly?

I had a good look through and it turns out it was Tyrian. I've played Raptor as well.

If you haven't already and like shmups, try it out. Its easier which is what makes it so fun - you can replay through it however much you want in a single sitting maxxingout all sorts of statis, guns, sidepod guns, extra ships, finding secret levels that contain secret weapons that you can then take back with you to devestate the mission 1-1 stuff and making you spend the rest of the game AVOIDING weapons to keep your awesome toy. Best part I liked was probably all the secret weapons and the fact you could upgrade them over 10 times. Unrealy replayability.

The huge list of cheat codes and hidden minigames were cool too.

oohh the greatness that is Tyrian, which somehow dodged the top 10 shooters for Screwattack..
    there is now an OpenTyrian, which was then ported to PSP. Best homebrew app ever (barring emulators)

Scabies on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    While you're on the topic of shmups, there's one I've been trying to remember for a while.

I don't remember too much unfortunately. The game started out in space for the first level, but every subsequent level was a planet. The planets had pretty generic themes. The ones I remember was an Earth like one (might have been the 2nd level), a water world, and a lava world. You were also trying to save these little guys in the levels, but I don't think it was required to beat a level.

Oh and I think it ran on DOS, but I could be mistaken about that.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Barrabas wrote: »
    While you're on the topic of shmups, there's one I've been trying to remember for a while.

I don't remember too much unfortunately. The game started out in space for the first level, but every subsequent level was a planet. The planets had pretty generic themes. The ones I remember was an Earth like one (might have been the 2nd level), a water world, and a lava world. You were also trying to save these little guys in the levels, but I don't think it was required to beat a level.

Major Stryker.

EDIT: It got released as freeware a while back: http://www.3drealms.com/stryker/

evilmrhenry on
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Barrabas wrote: »

Major Stryker.

EDIT: It got released as freeware a while back: http://www.3drealms.com/stryker/

That's definitely it! Thanks.

Man, they had Crystal Caves there too. I think that was one of the first games I ever played. Brings back memories.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1