As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Invincible Thread!

• mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Good god, that "Invincible Returns" is a bad cover in like, every way possible. The art is ugly, the coloring is weird, those red bars are just nonsensical...

mattharvest on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thats because the cover of 67 is sucking all of the good out of his post, leaving Invincible returns looking like Ultimatum.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Kirkman just said how much he like's the new costume and it's not going anywhere. Jeez, that guy annoys me.

Hensler on
    edited July 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    Kirkman just said how much he like's the new costume and it's not going anywhere. Jeez, that guy annoys me.

In fairness, the original costume is just more fun. I mean, I know the kneepads are kinda stupid but the overall color and layout is just much cooler to me.

Of course, that's just personal taste. I just felt like the blue scheme was boring.

mattharvest on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just like how well-integrated the logo is.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It looks like they got rid of the silly bits too. No kneepads. No fingerless gloves. It's just the yellow bits back. I like it :)

Desktop Hippie on
    edited July 2009
    It looks like they got rid of the silly bits too. No kneepads. No fingerless gloves. It's just the yellow bits back. I like it :)

I liked the fingerlessgloves.

mattharvest on
    edited July 2009
    You never know when you'll have to stick a bare finger in something.

Robos A Go Go on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I liked the fingerlessgloves.

Ditto. The kneepads I could have gone either way on.

Really, I thought a few of the costumes featured in the Invincible War issue would have made good alternate looks. Specifically, the red/blue and yellow/black caped looks. They both look like something an adult Invincible could wear.

Munch on
    edited July 2009
    I just feel like, once you've gone the route of "costume" instead of uniform, i.e. comic sensibilities, you may as well go for things like the gloves and kneepads. You need that look that's half-way between clothes and armor, even if they're not physically necessary.

I'm reminded of this old X-Men, when Magneto was running things, depicting Havok returning from the desert. They show him in that black, skintight outfit with the bizarre three metal hoops on his head, jumping from tree to tree. He talks to himself about how fortunate it is that the desert keeps him trim.

Now, frankly, if you're just going to wear a skinsuit like that, I think it always looks silly (man or woman). It might look sexy, too, but it's still silly. At least Invincible's original suit had that extra size and shape to it so that it looks like he's something other than naked.

Not that I've got a real robust theory here.

mattharvest on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Metal hoop Havok is the best costume ever

Me Too! on
    edited July 2009
    No, no it's not.

As a young reader, I assumed it was the artist's baffling attempt to show us his love of disco or something.

mattharvest on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    finally read Vol 10 (since it's finally out) and very saddened to see vol 11 was supposed to be out july 29th and of course as usual it missed it's date. I love this series but boy do I hate how volumes never come out.
    appaaarently it'll come out Aug 12th so we'll see

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    finally read Vol 10 (since it's finally out) and very saddened to see vol 11 was supposed to be out july 29th and of course as usual it missed it's date. I love this series but boy do I hate how volumes never come out.
    appaaarently it'll come out Aug 12th so we'll see

I just ordered it thinking it made the date

I am a sad panda

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Can anyone here give me some info on what I can expect of the eleventh Invincible trade? No spoilers needed but since it's the last arc before Invincible War I'm expecting mostly filler.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Issue #65!

Cecil has so many terrible ideas

I love the way the funeral was handled, it's genuinely touching and really makes up for the emotional impact being delayed for the Conquest fight

I'm not sure how I feel about
    Eve's boobs getting bigger
    I mean I'm not complaining, but really, Kirkman? Did it have to be that blatant?

Green on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Argh, why would you spoil one thing and not spoil the other?

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited August 2009
    Do they really mention that

Is that really a fucking thing that is brought up

Or is it just the art

If it's the first goddammit Kirkman

If not well whatever makes it easier when they eventually get Land on the book

Me Too! on
    edited August 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Do they really mention that

Is that really a fucking thing that is brought up

Or is it just the art

If it's the first goddammit Kirkman

If not well whatever makes it easier when they eventually get Land on the book
    [IMG][/img]1250725876966.jpg

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2009
    god

fucking

dammit

YOU WONDER WHY I HATE KIRKMAN

Me Too! on
  • KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Who wonders that?

KyleWPeterson on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This wasn't half bad, but seriously Cecil, are you retarded?
    You notice how Mark keeps bouncing back stronger than ever after getting regularly almost beaten to death? What in god's name would make him think that anything they have would hold Conquest or that there's anything they could do to compel him to talk.

Most of the stuff he's been shown to do is morally dubious but given the world probably the right choice. Hell, I don't even mind the Invincible zombies. But this is just mustache twirling territory here.

werehippy on
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Which thing, the thing that's general knowledge at this point or the thing that happened five months ago

Green on
    edited August 2009
    Green wrote: »

Which thing, the thing that's general knowledge at this point or the thing that happened five months ago

The Rex thing. It sure as shit didn't happen in the trade that JUST came out.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited August 2009
    It happened during the Invincible War which while recent was also like five or so months back.

KyleWPeterson on
  • frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I ordered the last 3 invincible trades 3 days ago.
    I wish Atom Eve was dead I never liked her character, so its kind of funny to see all the people wailing and threatening to leave the book over death.

On the other hand Rex Splode, that does make me quit Invincible. Those 3 trades are my last Invincible purchases.

I remember hating Rex Splode as a total douchebag and then they gave his origion story and it was so well done that I did a total 180 on the character.

It reminds of Battlestar Galactica one of the things that I loved about the show that it had in common with Invincible was that you got the sense that it was a real world populated by real people (the supporting minor characters) who existed outside their interactions with the main characters. And Invincible is following in the steps of Battlestar Galactica where by the end of that show the only minor character not killed off happened to be played by Edward James Olmos's son.

frandelgearslip on
    edited August 2009
    Rex does have a mini coming up soon though, written by Benito Cereno, and illustrated by Nate Bellegarde.

That should be fun.

Munch on
    edited August 2009
    My prediction after this latest issue about Rex?
    Eve tries to bring him back with her now wonky powers, and shit goes all sorts of wrong.

Hensler on
    edited August 2009
    It happened during the Invincible War which while recent was also like five or so months back.

It should still have been spoilered. A lot of people trade wait for Invincible. Plus, it's really not hard to put something into spoilers.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited September 2009
    Hey, don't look at me. I wasn't the one who spoiled it.

Kirkmania at CCI

Asked if Oliver would stay around 10-years old throughout "Invincible," Kirkman said, "As he gets older, his aging will slow somewhat, but he'll continue to age ... eventually, the plan is for him to be older than Mark."

Kirkman revealed that Battle Beast will have a larger role in the Viltrumite War.

Another child asked a question on behalf of his father about the status of "Brit." Said Kirkman: "'Brit' will be back soon. We're working on that, but not ready to announce it yet."

Kirkman said there would be compendiums for "Invincible," as well as an eventual complete "Astounding Wolf-Man" collection.

Will Kirkman do any "Invincible Presents" looks at the Global Guardians? "Uh, yes," he answered. "Stay tuned. There are things in the works that I can't really discuss here."

Finally, Kirkman was asked if he'd ever return to "Tech Jacket." "I'd definitely like to," he said. "I do have a plan for 'Tech Jacket' and want to get to it eventually, it's just a matter of time. I gotta quit doing things like 'Haunt.'"

KyleWPeterson on
    edited September 2009
    Woo, more Brit and Guardians. Good news.

Hensler on
    edited September 2009
    Invincible #66 Preview
    invincible66_c1.jpg

It's amazing how much better Walker has gotten since his first few issues on the series.

KyleWPeterson on
    edited September 2009
    I can't read the words on Newsarama previews, but I'm afraid to find out what's going on with Allen and the blue chick on the couch in that preview.

Hensler on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That preview gets me excited, I love this book.

Also am I the only one who enjoys how they reuse certain pages/panels and always keeps changing the history bit by bit from time to time.

It feels like a wink wink nudge nudge to those who read the whole thing.

Cade on
    edited September 2009
    Yup. That's the third time (I think?) that Nolan's particular story has been told in that manner.

KyleWPeterson on
    edited September 2009
    With the whole revelation about the Viltrumite Empire being weakened and underpopulated, I've been wondering for some time now if we're going to see them invade Earth with an army of child soldiers born out of breeding camps based on the Mantis Planet. Sure the Viltrumites are super strict about keeping their race pure and all that, but it would go a long way toward making them a more credible threat, give the other Earth heroes some cannon fodder to fight, and I can just imagine the attention and hate that Kirkman would get for having a bunch of purple children get bloodily eviscerated.

And honestly, a bunch of creepy little alien Children of the Corn would make for a good visual/surprise revelation.

Munch on
    edited September 2009
    That's a fantastic idea, Munch, and with everything Kirkman has set up it'd be kind of bizarre if he didn't go that route.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2009
    Invincible News from Baltimore Con

-As for "Invincible," the 70th issue sees the return of the vicious sequids. Following that reemergence, Mark Grayson will return to his original costume in "Invincible Returns" #1, which features a cover by David Finch and two variant covers from Darwyn Cooke and Erik Larsen .

-Additionally, "Invincible" co-creator Cory Walker will illustrate a back-up story that recounts all of the important Viltrumite moments in the series to date, serving as a primer of sorts for the impending "Viltrumite War" kicking off in #75.

-"The Walking Dead" #75 would feature an out-of-continuity backup story based on the 50th issue's alternate cover, which famously featured the book's cast as superheroes armed with lightsabers and other assorted weaponry.

KyleWPeterson on
    edited October 2009
    A sketch from Ottley:

179.jpg

KyleWPeterson on
    edited October 2009
    I liked this one.

Munch on