As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kikstart on] Trials HD (XBLA)

NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
trialshdout.jpg
This is an awesome little game that just dropped on XBLA for 1200MS points.

Trials-HD_XBLAboxart_160w.jpg

MOTORCYCLE JUMPIN! in the vein of Kikstart and Excitebike, the controls are simple, gas. brake and lean. The challenges range from simple jumps to 180˚ back-stall-flip-plants off of rickety wooden planks suspended over a few dozen exploding barrels.

3d graphics but purely old school 2d gameplay.

I first discovered this game watching someone play a cheaper, earlier flash version over their shoulder on their laptop. As the name suggests, it's basically a lot of trial and error, deceivingly simple gameplay that will have you ooohing and aahing, followed shortly by swearing and throwing your controller in frustration once you break into the "hard" levels. 50 some odd tracks and 12 minigames.

so how does it look?

Pretty damn good in motion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97rOoIVuoZk

e3-2009-trials-hd-screens-20090601021157423_640w.jpg

trials-hd-20090710102951151_640w.jpg

also, hey! a level creator!

show-gamepix,12217.jpeg

you can share your levels with... anyone on your friends list, which seems a little broken right now, but on that note, lets start a list for Trials? (also, yayyyyy active leaderboards!!!)

Gamertags for sharing tracks/leaderboards (sharing is caring!):

Louzorz
Hawk xSx
Allforce
Xander 51
Jesse Custer
ChewyWaffles
ChewyPoptarts
Pigg0 <-- thats a zero.
Disoriented80
musanman08
KrangerRudy
Disco Burnout
Mad Eye Moody

:winky:
Nalouto on

• HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nice start

Gamertag is in the sig if you wanna add me.

This game is addictive. I think it's due to great physics, gameplay, and graphics. But also the fact that when you restart the level or from a checkpoint, it's instant. If there was loading there'd be a huge decline in people retrying things.

Hawk on
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd like to get some people on my list who are making levels that I can try out. Gamertag is same as forum name: Allforce

Allforce on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm playing this game and enjoying it quite a bit, in spite of the brutal difficulty. Haven't really made any levels yet, but I plan on it. My Gamertag is in my sig!

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've ragequit in this game a few hundred times so far. 'Tag is in the sig if you wanna add me.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So this "HD" version (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean) just as cheap as Trials 2? Because that game had some pure bullshit.

Zxerol on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »
    So this "HD" version (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean) just as cheap as Trials 2? Because that game had some pure bullshit.

Uh...

High-definition?

UnbreakableVow on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So? I played the previous in HD resolutions too. Is this more high definition-er or something that it deserves it as part of the title? :P Nah, I'm just being an asshole about marketing hijacking "HD" as a buzzword to be strapped to every random title like it means anything of worth. HD-this, HD-that, HD-vision, HD-hearing, HD-ass-sitting, blah. Never mind my dumbshit pet peeves.

I'm saying, though, if this version is anything like the last one, then after a few hours, you're just plunging headfirst into masochist territory. Fun, yeah maybe, but nasty.

Zxerol on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've been calling it Motorcycle Maniacs Reloaded <3

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I highly suggest anyone that at least enjoyed N+ (which I loved) try this out. As long as you have patience to retry a level $TEXAS times, you'll have fun.

The side challenges are a lovely little bonus. Riding inside a giant American Gladiators ball? On TOP of one? Playing motorcycle pinball and doing as many flips as possible? Greatness I tell you.

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'll probably get this soon, it looks pretty sweet. I was in a party with a mate when he started playing it and it didn't take long for him to start lauging and cheering loudly in my ear. I'll be sure to return the favour.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Add ChewyWaffles and ChewyPoptarts to your GT's please. I need more competition to push me on some of the tracks :)

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    plz change thread title to Kickstart My Heart On

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • PiggoPiggo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Please add PIGG0 (that's a zero at the end). I'll try and add the rest of you, cause I loves me some competition.

How are you guys playing it? Just going through each level to see the next with 100's of faults, or working on getting silver/gold on a level then moving to the next one?

I'm in the silver/gold camp. It started as trying to gold everything, but god daymn some of this stuff is hard.

Piggo on
  • SkullOmaniaSkullOmania Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah feel free to add me - my GT is in sig. I've picked up the Unyielding and Full Throttle achievements which were good fun to get - it would have been nice if they'd added more achievements along those lines.

Edit: I've added some of the ppl in this thread - having other names on the leader boards is a huge motivator to go back and try to get a faster time on a level.

SkullOmania on
    edited August 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »
    So? I played the previous in HD resolutions too. Is this more high definition-er or something that it deserves it as part of the title? :P Nah, I'm just being an asshole about marketing hijacking "HD" as a buzzword to be strapped to every random title like it means anything of worth. HD-this, HD-that, HD-vision, HD-hearing, HD-ass-sitting, blah. Never mind my dumbshit pet peeves.

I'm saying, though, if this version is anything like the last one, then after a few hours, you're just plunging headfirst into masochist territory. Fun, yeah maybe, but nasty.

This has higher quality textures, multiple bikes, many new levels, and a level editor.

It's basically Trials 3.

brynstar on
    edited August 2009
    Was there even a Trials 1? I thought the game just came out as Trials 2 Second Edition

Hawk on
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have yet to beat the final expert map (groundhog forever?). Anybody beat 'em all?

Also getting platinum medals is really really difficult, but really awesome when you run a map like in the most amazingly perfect fashion. TRY TO BEAT MY GROUNDHOG RETURNS RUN I DARE YOU.

Add me if you want I would love to have some more people to compete with!

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Hawk wrote: »
    Was there even a Trials 1? I thought the game just came out as Trials 2 Second Edition

I think there was, but that Trials 2 basically replaced it. All I could find of Trials 1 was a Flash demo with a link to buy the game, which now directs to Trials 2 Second Edition.

brynstar on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There's an expert map that has a really nasty trick. Basically, if you hit a specific jump too slow, a big weight swings from the background and hits you. This is when I found out that the game can differentiate between you being injured in a crash, and you being killed in a crash. If you're injured, you can control your guy to a limited extent while flying through the air, or while writhing on the ground in pain. If you break your neck or back you can't do that, obviously.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am up to the expert level courses.

God damn some of those hard courses were....hard. I forget the name of it, but I hated the one where you had to drop down to a really slanted slope with JUST enough of a flat platform at the bottom so you don't fall off. You had to like jump down there and hit with your back wheel at full rev. This way you would pop straight up, then keep reving/breaking to stay in place. So frustrating, but felt so good to get past that part (and other parts that were troublesome).

I love the feature of hitting the B button to just restart at the last checkpoint. The B button has been getting much use, let me tell you.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Jesus lord, this game is difficult. It took me a while to realize that the real key (or so I think) is to know when to floor the gas and when to tap tap tap it along.

I'm just not a fan of the game basically being a speed excitebike through Medium and then BAM! The game viciously coldcocks you with an absolutely devious amount of trial and error.

Seriously, how the hell do I get up (basically) steep hills that have slight curves in them? My guy always seems to go vertical, with the front wheel in the air. Any way to save him at that point?

NaturalNarcissist on
    edited August 2009
    Piggo wrote: »
    Please add PIGG0 (that's a zero at the end). I'll try and add the rest of you, cause I loves me some competition.

How are you guys playing it? Just going through each level to see the next with 100's of faults, or working on getting silver/gold on a level then moving to the next one?

I'm in the silver/gold camp. It started as trying to gold everything, but god daymn some of this stuff is hard.

what about the platinum camp, I suggest you watch the leaderboard to learn some of the nuances before trying a lot of them

it takes a ton of trial and error anyway, at least avoid some of the experimenting by seeing how the top score has done it

warning: this is extremely addicting and not for those with things to do

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for adding me Skullomania and Nalouto! Anyone else can feel free to as well. I finally struggled my way through the hard courses, and went back to pick up that bowling achievement.

I feel like I'm right on the cusp of being good at this game, but I'm not sure if I'm going to make it over the barrier. This type of trial-and-error game is usually something I hate, but I'm finding this weirdly enjoyable.

brynstar on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The level editor is fucking amazing. Triggers can can do some pretty cool shit from switching on lights, to detonating explosives, to switching on physics for objects hanging in the air (like bombs).

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I must say, having friends to compete against gives this game 500% more replay value. The editor has a lot going on in it too, full rotation/placement of lights makes for an interesting set building tool/game, I'm just a sucker for extra details like that.

oh, and this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNIF5xeNmd4&feature=related

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just got this, it takes a little while to warm up, but when it does, it's a lot of fun. That urge to beat my mate's high scores no matter the cost is bringing up fond memories of Geometry Wars 2. It's a shame I always suck at level creators, though.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Argh. Fucking hard level 2 with the fucking jump onto a giant ball and then onto another one ARGH.

ARGH.

-SPI- on
    edited August 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Argh. Fucking hard level 2 with the fucking jump onto a giant ball and then onto another one ARGH.

ARGH.

Park on top of the first one, hit reverse and the ball will roll towards the second. Jump on the second, repeat.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
    edited August 2009
    I can't beat the last extreme level. I know when I was playing it a day or two ago it was angering me. Any tips on the part where you have to go from checkpoint, over fire, onto a small flat platform, over fire, onto a slanted platform, over more fire, and onto another slanted platform (and it then goes into a huge drop)? I was on that part for probably 20 minutes or so. I ran out of restarts. Haha.

I just need to beat the ultimate endurance tournament thing and the last extreme level to 100% the game. I have a feeling the tournament thing will really piss me off. Can't wait.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited August 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I can't beat the last extreme level. I know when I was playing it a day or two ago it was angering me. Any tips on the part where you have to go from checkpoint, over fire, onto a small flat platform, over fire, onto a slanted platform, over more fire, and onto another slanted platform (and it then goes into a huge drop)? I was on that part for probably 20 minutes or so. I ran out of restarts. Haha.

I just need to beat the ultimate endurance tournament thing and the last extreme level to 100% the game. I have a feeling the tournament thing will really piss me off. Can't wait.

I spent a lot of time on that one...probably 400 of my 500 trials the first attempt. The first jump over fire is a simple "olly" then you need to hit the second one so your rear wheel pops up and you can lean all the way forward. You need your rear wheel to hit first, and be leaning all the way forward. You don't need any speed to get to the bigger platform from the first slanted one...then you rev up and do the lean forward thing again on the second one. You need a lot of speed to get to that drop, and the first time you land short of it you might break your tv (I almost threw my controller threw it).

If you add me to your friend's list we can compare scores and you can watch my replay. I'm not particularly good at the map so you can see how I solved probably a lot of the same struggles you will.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
    edited August 2009
    musanman wrote: »
    redfield85 wrote: »

I spent a lot of time on that one...probably 400 of my 500 trials the first attempt. The first jump over fire is a simple "olly" then you need to hit the second one so your rear wheel pops up and you can lean all the way forward. You need your rear wheel to hit first, and be leaning all the way forward. You don't need any speed to get to the bigger platform from the first slanted one...then you rev up and do the lean forward thing again on the second one. You need a lot of speed to get to that drop, and the first time you land short of it you might break your tv (I almost threw my controller threw it).

If you add me to your friend's list we can compare scores and you can watch my replay. I'm not particularly good at the map so you can see how I solved probably a lot of the same struggles you will.

431 restarts. 28:54.755 to beat it. I will never play those levels ever again in my life. Fuck them so hard.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited August 2009

ARGH.

I knew what to do early on, but that didn't make it any easier. I'm fairly sure I had 80 or so attempts to finish that level. What's worse is that it's only going to get tougher.

I am enjoying the skill games, though. Does anyone know - do you unlock more by completing certain challenges or by getting gold on x number of challenges, etc?

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited August 2009
    musanman wrote: »

ARGH.

Park on top of the first one, hit reverse and the ball will roll towards the second. Jump on the second, repeat.

Oh I figured out quite quickly what I need to do. Executing on that plan is the hard part.

Took out my frustrations and got gold in bone breaking however.

-SPI- on
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Add me too please. I'm still stuck on the first couple Hard levels. Even watching people's replays is not helping. :(

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Jesus lord, this game is difficult. It took me a while to realize that the real key (or so I think) is to know when to floor the gas and when to tap tap tap it along.

I'm just not a fan of the game basically being a speed excitebike through Medium and then BAM! The game viciously coldcocks you with an absolutely devious amount of trial and error.

Seriously, how the hell do I get up (basically) steep hills that have slight curves in them? My guy always seems to go vertical, with the front wheel in the air. Any way to save him at that point?

Someone probably answered your question, but you really need to make sure you're not going vertical by the time you land on the track. You might be referring to the first hard level (I think it is) and the key there is to make sure both wheels make contact when you touch down, then press forward and gun it. Basically look at some replays and watch what they do :)

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
    edited August 2009
    I beat the first Extreme level last night.

I played it once a few days ago and did awful.

Started over last night and I got past the first section really quickly. Just amazing what a clear head can do.

Hawk on
    edited August 2009
    Hawk wrote: »
    I beat the first Extreme level last night.

I played it once a few days ago and did awful.

Started over last night and I got past the first section really quickly. Just amazing what a clear head can do.

I tried it out a few hours ago. I stopped trying it a couple of hours and 55 minutes ago. I think I'm really going to need to be in the zone to do them right.

Thankfully, I did manage the Container Rush achievement, which gave me a nice Trials gamerpic as well. And I managed to beat most of the high scores my friends achieved in the skill games, to boost my ego :lol:

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited August 2009
    I just did the container rush achievement myself. For some reason I had the most success when doing as much unnecessary flashy flips.

-SPI- on
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I honestly doubt I'll bother with the Expert levels. I mean, I'm going to play them, but I'm not too concerned about beating them all, or at least not with Gold Medals.

I've been spending a fuck ton of time with the level editor, though. I'm trying to work out an Indiana Jones style one, where those giant balls are chasing you around on curving tracks, running over bombs trying to blow you up. It's tricky to make, but it's looking pretty cool so far.

Add me if you want some levels. I'm Disco Burnout.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
    edited August 2009
    I just did the container rush achievement myself. For some reason I had the most success when doing as much unnecessary flashy flips.

I used one of the lower end bikes (the second one up) so that I didn't have to worry about my guy going back-first into the pavement. In fact, I've done quite well on some of the skill games when I haven't used the top end bikes. I don't know how I'm going to do the Groundhog achievement (faultless, with no posture change), from what I experienced it looks like there's going to be an exact method to it.

PaperLuigi44 on