As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ultimate Dungeon Delve LFG thread

• HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My fiance and I are interested in joining a group, we're pretty flexible on what we're willing to play, anyone have some openings?

Hypatia on
  • clemclem Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    TJP wrote: »
    Ganadai wrote: »
    I'm looking at the Warhorn site right now, and I can't find any where that it says 30 minutes per encounter. You might be misreading "4h 30m torture test"?

Yes, I'm misreading. Thanks!

Bear in mind that there will be a clock running during each encounter. The time will be 45 minutes per encounter, though, rather than 30. Time taken to handle short rests will be taken from either the previous encounter or the next at the party's discretion.

The official rules for the delve can be found on WotC's website here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=rpga/news/20090612

clem on
  • clemclem Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    susan wrote: »
    -As for the slots... The math just isn't working for me. 18 players and 3 judges/tables, to me, means groups of 6. I thought these were groups of 5. ...Anyone?

It could be that the slot was set up assuming the normal RPGA maximum of 6 players. I'll bring this up on the judges list to see if this was an oversight.

clem on
  • SuppostropheSuppostrophe Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm still available if anyone needs another player. Drow Paladin or Eladrin Swordmage.

Suppostrophe on
  • AlphastreamAlphastream Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ultimate Delve is indeed for 5 players. I'm not sure if Warhorn can be changed, but it is 5 players per team.

The Classic Delve is best run for 5, but can accomodate 6.

(The above from Chris Tulach, the RPGA Content Manager)

Alphastream on
  • Black Flame ZealotBlack Flame Zealot D&D Program Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    We will have the Character Builder stations on hand if you don't have access to the CB before the show. However, I advise having a good idea of what you'd like to play before walking up to a station, since they will be limited to only 10-15 minutes of use per person.

Slot times and other details (as KalAgrim pointed out) are available here at the Warhorn site or for play details, visit the Wizards article. However, it's probably easiest just to say we're running Friday 2 pm & 7 pm, Saturday 9 am, 2 pm & 7 pm, and Sunday 9 am.

This Ultimate Delve is very tough, so gird your loins. We had 67 tables play it at Gen Con Indy, and only 4 tables completed it to receive the honor of having their names inscribed (on the web after all the summer shows are done) in the Halls of Victory. In addition, tables completing the Ultimate Delve will have each player receiving the fabulous prize of a recently-published D&D hardcover book.

This event was super fun at all the summer shows, and it is becoming very popular. Sign up now while there's still time!

Black Flame Zealot on
    D&D Program Manager
    Wizards of the Coast
    http://www.twitter.com/christulach
  • KalAgrimKalAgrim Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    To clarify on the Warhorn site, there are 3 delves listed.

D&D For Beginners (D&D 4e)
    Untimed (I believe) delve tables for new 4e players.

Dungeon Delve: Descent Into Vile Darkness (D&D 4e)
    Timed Delve Tables, which (if like last year) will offer prizes (such as RPGA Rewards Cards) for completion.

Ultimate Delve: Fall of the Tower at Windrock (D&D 4e)
    Ultimate Dungeon Delve, 6 encounters, timed to 45 mins per encounter, endurance test. Prizes include having your name inscribed on the web and a shiny book (as Chris said above).

Some of the details on the frontpage of the Warhorn site are out of date. I highly recommend checking out the PAX site and the Wizards of the Coast site for up to date details.

KalAgrim on
    edited August 2009
    Adding a bit more info:
    KalAgrim wrote: »
    To clarify on the Warhorn site, there are 3 delves listed.

This event is not timed. You can spend as much time on learning rules or on playing encounters as you want, for the whole slot. Some tables at GenCon spent lots of time on learning, then played one encounter. Others played several encounters. You don't need anything to play (all that you need is provided).

Dungeon Delve: Descent Into Vile Darkness (D&D 4e)
    Timed Delve Tables, which (if like last year) will offer prizes (such as RPGA Rewards Cards) for completion.

You get tokens for completing the goals, which can be redeemed for things such as reward cards. I think the delve runs for an hour and you can play several times. It is a fun way to learn 4E and to try out team tactics. You can play again and again for more rewards and to beat your prior record. Characters are provided (you cannot bring your own).
    Ultimate Delve: Fall of the Tower at Windrock (D&D 4e)
    Ultimate Dungeon Delve, 6 encounters, timed to 45 mins per encounter, endurance test. Prizes include having your name inscribed on the web and a shiny book (as Chris said above).

You will want to read the full details on the WotC web site (follow the link in the OP). You must have a valid 6th level PC you made with the Character Builder. The CB is available on site, but you will not have a lot of time to make a PC. This is a difficult delve challenge, and team tactics are important (though you can of course play for fun). Rewards are a recent book and listing in the Hall of Fame on the WotC web site. This takes up the full slot, or ends when you are defeated. You can play more than once (generally something you do if you do not win but want a second shot at it). If you lose early, the classic delve is a good way to fill the rest of the slot.

Besides the three delve events, there are various LFR adventures. These require a valid PC for that level, and you must have earned that level in valid play. If you play a 4-7 adventure, you must have reached that level. You can easily make a PC for the 1-4 level adventures with the CB which will be on site. Several adventures, including SPEC1-3 and ADCP1-1, can be played at different levels (1-4, 4-7, 7-10, 11-14) and thus can also be played by new players with a 1st level PC. The Special is hard, and thus not the best first LFR experience. The ADCP, Jungle Hunt, is not particularly hard, but is a new type of event that is scored and you should be part of an Adventuring Company (which you can join on the spot if need be). You can choose to play it for a high score (the only rewards being bragging rights) and then abandon that if it becomes a bit difficult.

Let us know if there are other questions. All of us are pretty helpful guys and looking to make this a great con for you!

Alphastream on
    edited August 2009
    Each of you should register and sign up for the slot. When you fill in your details you should include something that will enable the judges who muster you to see that you are a fixed group. A tag such as [PLAY] or similar is a good bet, just try to ensure the tag is unique.

Ensure you all sign up for the same table and arrive on time, the events are all likely to be very full and not showing on time is a sure fire way to miss out on playing. In fact, I highly recommend arriving 10-15 mins early, at least.

KalAgrim on
    edited August 2009
    The UDD is only 5 players per table, no exceptions. Ill poke the Warhorn admin and see if he can change it.

KalAgrim on
  • TJPTJP Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The UDD is only 5 players per table, no exceptions. Ill poke the Warhorn admin and see if he can change it.

Kal - I'm not signed up for one, but can you check on the 9am starting times vs. the 10am opening of PAX? My understanding is they won't let anyone past the 'Queue Room' till then.

TJP on
  • susansusan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Ensure you all sign up for the same table...
    Is there a way to specify table on the Warhorn site? My group ("Team Dark Sun") all signed up for Slot 1, but none of us saw a "table" option.

Just go into your profiles, and put [DarkSun] in front of your names. The judges should be able to figure that out :) .

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • CendragonCendragon Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    I wanted to correct an earlier misconception. Anything in the CB is legal. Nowhere does it say you have to load the RPGA general campaign guidelines. You are limited to 22 point buy and the magic items as outlined, but bugbears are a perfectly fine option. This thing is brutal folks. I played it at Gen Con and only 4 of 67 tables made it all the way through. Two of those tables, I heard, had failed the first time and tried it again.

Cendragon on
  • AnachronymAnachronym Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    Hunh, didn't realize there were going to be online signups for this. Good thing I checked here today.

Looks like the tables are almost full (maybe overbooked for the ones that have 18 players already). Are you guys considering converting empty regular tables to UDD tables if this ends up being massively popular? :D

Anachronym on
    edited August 2009
    The people running the RPGA mustering are nice people and will do all they can to seat players, so long as there is a GM. Rewards are great, should we have some people out there looking to judge!

Alphastream on
  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm curious about this. Is it something that you've got to sign up for beforehand, or will there be times posted at PAX for walk-ins?

Sprout on
    edited August 2009
    I honestly have no idea how those particular tables will work.

KalAgrim on
    edited August 2009
    Sprout wrote: »
    I'm curious about this. Is it something that you've got to sign up for beforehand, or will there be times posted at PAX for walk-ins?

, as with other slots. There are several tables with judges but just a few players (which is ok for the beginner game, but best if you have 4-5 players).

Alphastream on
  • DragondevonDragondevon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    did they ever figure out exavtly where the UDD will be held?

Dragondevon on
    "The times are duanting, its perilous to walk out your front door anymore. The enemy is everywhere, hidden in technology, smiling faces, and laziness. Though, we are not given the luxury to give up. We are the last bastion of hope for our species. We are HUMANS!!!!RAAAAAR"-Devon
    "Dude, I think he's a zombie."
    "No he's not, he's dead."
    "But he's still walking around."
    "Which makes him one of the walking dead."
    "Exactly."
    "So, he's dead."
    "No, that makes him a zombie."

"You sound like WALL-E having sex with a Speak and Spell"
  • PrivateNewbiePrivateNewbie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Seriously? You have to sign up in advance? Ridiculous.

PrivateNewbie on
    edited August 2009

You can always just show up.

The point of mustering on Warhorn is to have a guaranteed spot at a table with a judge.

Alphastream on
    edited August 2009
    It will be held in the same area as the rest of the RPGA games (Up on Floor 6?) of the convention center.

KalAgrim on
    edited August 2009
    hey does anyone know if the CB computers will have a usb? cuz i can just bring my usb and print straight off it. off

Dragondevon on
    "The times are duanting, its perilous to walk out your front door anymore. The enemy is everywhere, hidden in technology, smiling faces, and laziness. Though, we are not given the luxury to give up. We are the last bastion of hope for our species. We are HUMANS!!!!RAAAAAR"-Devon
    "Exactly."
    "So, he's dead."

edited August 2009
    hey does anyone know if the CB computers will have a usb? cuz i can just bring my usb and print straight off it. off

I think someone at GenCon said they did this, but I would bring some notes in case you have to recreate the PC.

Alphastream on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

The point of mustering on Warhorn is to have a guaranteed spot at a table with a judge.

So if three of us that have registered show up with 2 people that have not registered, would we all be let in as a group, or would only the three of us be guaranteed a seat?

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited September 2009
    Coldbrew wrote: »

So if three of us that have registered show up with 2 people that have not registered, would we all be let in as a group, or would only the three of us be guaranteed a seat?

I swear, we do this to be good to people. I swear!

At GenCon, they seat people with specific tickets first, then those with generics. This does break up groups, though everyone can choose to wait and see what happens, then maybe play something else.

I would expect PAX to roll the same way, but with warhorn being the determinant.

Here's why. We work hard to secure the right number of judges. Really hard. Judges prep for what they will run. We then post the games on Warhorn and everyone can sign up. Those people that do are guaranteed spots. It helps organizers get the right judges and helps players know they have a guaranteed game.

Those of us long in the RPGA remember the chaos before Warhorn. Sometimes it wasn't too bad, but it was often ugly and brutal an really unfair.

Alphastream on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    lol hey don't worry, I simply wanted clarification. And thank you for clarifying!

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited September 2009
    Thanks!

Speaking of the Delve, someone on the judges list was noticing that some Warhorn sign-ups seem off, such as people stating a certain level PC for the Classic Delve (which has pregens) or seemingly trying to be in the classic delve but signed up for the Ultimate Delve.

If you are not absolutely sure which is which, this is a great time to review the information posted here and the descriptions and Warhorn and make sure you are in the right slots.

We will do what we can to accommodate everyone, but those with correct Warhorn entries will ultimately get the first seats.

And, those on the wait lists, you may get openings if some of these seats are incorrect (plus that occasional person that sleeps in after 2+ sleepless nights of gaming... I salute you, even as I give away your seat!).

Alphastream on
    edited September 2009
    There was one other thing, I'm not sure if it's been discussed or not. Slot's 3 and 6 begin at 9am, though PAX doesn't open it's doors until 10am. I'm going to assume we just show up as soon as we get in, but I wanted to make sure you were aware of that.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited September 2009
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    There was one other thing, I'm not sure if it's been discussed or not. Slot's 3 and 6 begin at 9am, though PAX doesn't open it's doors until 10am. I'm going to assume we just show up as soon as we get in, but I wanted to make sure you were aware of that.

I brought that up on the list. I'll ask the powers-that-be again. Thanks!

Alphastream on
    edited September 2009
    **** Important: SLOT CHANGE FOR RPGA EVENTS!!!!! *******

It seems there was indeed a disconnect between the RPGA and PAX on slot times, so these will have to change to accomodate when the hall will be open. Friday is unchanged, but the Saturday and Sunday slots have to shift a bit.

New slot times:

Slot 1 - Friday 2pm
    Slot 2 - Friday 7pm
    Slot 3 - Saturday 10:30am
    Slot 4 - Saturday 3:30pm
    Slot 5 - Saturday 8:30pm
    Slot 6 - Sunday 10:30am

Thanks to those that brought the issue to light, and we apologize for the error!

Alphastream on
    edited September 2009
    Very cool, thanks for the info! I will pass that on to my group.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How does Ammo work for RPGA characters? When using the ruleset in the CB, when I buy 'Arrows', it says my character is now houseruled. What gives?

deveric on
    edited September 2009
    I would expect the September patch to be valid, but I'm not positive. You could bring two versions if you are worried.

Regarding ammo, I don't know why the CB would say it is invalid. I do know that there was some discussion about ammo on the WotC boards, so you might want to look those up... but, if you follow the rules in AV2 you should be fine.

Alphastream on
    edited September 2009
    I noticed a small error in the CB. you can only raise initiative with feats only once. I was just messing around and tried to give my rogue a massive jump start for going first. he had +7 init then i gave him improved init (+4) quick draw (+2) martial alicarty (+2) and tribe of the swift jaguar (+1) so it should have been +16 instead it only states +11 lol just thought I would point this out.

Dragondevon on
    "Exactly."
    "So, he's dead."

edited September 2009
    I noticed a small error in the CB. you can only raise initiative with feats only once. I was just messing around and tried to give my rogue a massive jump start for going first. he had +7 init then i gave him improved init (+4) quick draw (+2) martial alicarty (+2) and tribe of the swift jaguar (+1) so it should have been +16 instead it only states +11 lol just thought I would point this out.

I don't think Quickdraw and Improved Init stack... aren' they both a Feat bonus? I don't know about the other feats.

Alphastream on
  • Brex123Brex123 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I don't think Quickdraw and Improved Init stack... aren' they both a Feat bonus? I don't know about the other feats.

You are correct, Feats don't stack when it comes to Init. The highest one is used. Unless if the others have other bonuses, I would recommend keeping Improved Init, and scrapping the others.

Brex123 on
    edited September 2009
    i dont remember ever seeing anywhere that init feats dont stack (well aside from the same one of course)but i wouldnt waste all my feats on just init anyway i was just curious what others thought of it.

Dragondevon on
    "Exactly."
    "So, he's dead."

• susansusan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It all depends on the type of bonus it is. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I believe Init Bonuses fall into a few categories:

Dex Bonus
    1/2 Level Bonus
    Feat Bonus
    Enhancement Bonus
    Unnamed Bonus

Bonuses from Feats usually fall into either 'Feat' or 'Unnamed', with the text of the power letting you know where it falls. Bonuses from the same category do not stack (Unnamed might, but I don't think so), so the best bump you're going to be able to get with feats would be one that specifies 'Feat Bonus' and one that just says 'Bonus', so two feats.

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
    edited September 2009
    i dont remember ever seeing anywhere that init feats dont stack (well aside from the same one of course)but i wouldnt waste all my feats on just init anyway i was just curious what others thought of it.

It is in the general rules for bonuses. Named bonuses do not stack. Two feat bonuses, two power bonuses, two item bonuses, etc. - for all of those you would take the higher bonus and not stack them.

So, if you have Improved Init and a Battleharness (armor), the Feat and Item init bonuses would stack.

Alphastream on
This discussion has been closed.