As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Same Bat-Time, Same Bat-Channel : The Batman Thread

1565758596062»

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    pfft Batman ain't nothing but a thing

Ben Grimm is the new Batman? Damn, I knew I should have read Battle for the Cowl.

Hensler on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    yes

also lockjaw is robin

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Nevermind. If it was Lockheed, I'd read it. But I don't want to see Lockjaw in short shorts.

Hensler on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    yes

also lockjaw is robin

I'd buy two.

Mr Pink on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, Batgirl #1
    How long do you think before Steph's mom gets brutally murdered?

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, Batgirl #1
    How long do you think before Steph's mom gets brutally murdered?

So she's Batgirl, then?

Robos A Go Go on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That's what it looks like.

TexiKen on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So the whole "Oracle: The Cure" thing was all just a tease? Probably an editorially mandated tease just to fabricate some interest in the relaunch of the new Batgirl?

I mean, my interest in the whole thing has been pretty low. But I guess it makes sense.
    If Cassy gets poor sales as Batgirl, then she's a bad choice for a relaunch.

Oracle is too old to be Batgirl and Batwoman is already taken.

That pretty much only leaves Stephanie as a realistic option.

I mean, Squire would've been a better choice in my opinion, but there's no way in hell that would ever fly.

It had to be Steph.

Lucascraft on
    edited August 2009
    I was holding out hope for the Team Batgirl idea.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2009
    Has anything like that ever been done before? A super team in which all members assume the same role?

It'd be like if everyone on the JLA was Superman or something.

Lucascraft on
    edited August 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Has anything like that ever been done before? A super team in which all members assume the same role?

It'd be like if everyone on the JLA was Superman or something.

Tangent Comics' Joker title followed that concept.

And of course people are always saying there has to be more than one Batman, like in Gotham City Sirens recently.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's also the plot of the Mystery Of The Batwoman movie.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
    edited August 2009
    Oh yeah.

That mystery sucked.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2009
    I didn't pick up Batgirl, can somebody tell me if it involves Cassie at all?

Hensler on
    edited August 2009
    Hensler wrote: »

I didn't buy it either, but I did flip through it.
    She was in it for the first 3 or 4 pages. She handed the suit over the Steph and that was the end of it from what I saw.

Lucascraft on
    edited August 2009
    Well then fuck that book.

Hensler on
    edited August 2009
    I've never read any Batgirl ever. I don't really have any interest in the character. I don't really have any interest in any of the tertiary Bat characters. I don't read Robin either.

But I'd like to know why people are so into Cassie. Everything I've read with her in it, she comes off as a total bitch.

Lucascraft on
    edited August 2009
    You read the Robin stuff or the Supergirl crap then. That was purposely made to destroy Cassandra's character so Didio could gain support to make Babs Batgirl again.

Her series, written by Pluckett and drawn by Damion Scott, was for the most part excellent. Her introduction to the Bat family during No Man's Land worked. It didn't feel forced, and there was just something neat about her character. She never really talked, but had this fascination about everything, being raised to just be a killer by her father. It's a weird thing to think the stuff she did with Batman and the others in the clan was fun compared to what she had been forced to do as a child.

TexiKen on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2009
    I enjoyed Batgirl #1 quite a bit

Garlic Bread on
  • Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hensler wrote: »

I didn't buy it either, but I did flip through it.
    She was in it for the first 3 or 4 pages. She handed the suit over the Steph and that was the end of it from what I saw.

Yeah, she essentially goes
    "I fought for Bruce, and now he's dead. Here, take this costume." and strips down right on the spot and tosses Steph the Batgirl uniform before disappearing while Steph's back is turned Batman-style into the night. No further motivation is given, and she doesn't appear again in the issue.

Darth Nat on
    edited August 2009
    Woooowww, that sounds incredibly weak.

Keith liked it, though, so I suppose it was at least a pretty faithful rendition of Stephanie.

Robos A Go Go on
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Woooowww, that sounds incredibly weak.

Keith liked it, though, so I suppose it was at least a pretty faithful rendition of Stephanie.

Yeah, especially since
    at one point in her series, Bruce asks Cass if she's fighting for her father, Barbara, or him, and she points at the Batman symbol and says that she fights for that.
    I really can't see Bruce dying changing her drive to be Batgirl. Its just another case of DD trying to destroy a character so he can push his agenda completely ignoring the fan base.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've never read any Batgirl ever. I don't really have any interest in the character. I don't really have any interest in any of the tertiary Bat characters. I don't read Robin either.

But I'd like to know why people are so into Cassie. Everything I've read with her in it, she comes off as a total bitch.

Scans Daily has quite a bit of material on her. It's hard for people to see the appeal now, not only because DC had handled her terribly over the past few years, but also because the whole silent teenage badass girl archetype is kind of played out, both in comics and other media. Nowadays if she were introduced people would probably call her a Mary Sue, but when she was originally introduced, she was somewhat unique in the comics landscape. Here's a little selected reading for anyone curious about the character.

Batgirl and Superboy
    Batgirl Gets Fired
    Batgirl and Spoiler
    So she's Batgirl, then?

I'm betting that she'll lose the cowl soon enough and go back to her other identity, with Misfit picking it up. I have a feeling that DC editorial really just wants a redheaded Batgirl, but doesn't want anyone to dye their hair.

Munch on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I feel so pregnable.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited August 2009
    Steph and Selina should hang out and talk about that.

TexiKen on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    She can't read? Wow. Because Batman would not see that as an issue.

Or can she?

Caveman Paws on
    edited August 2009
    She can now.
    From her Wiki:

Cassandra's birth and childhood are revealed in the Batgirl series. David Cain had sought a perfect bodyguard for Ra's al Ghul. He found a potential mother when he saw Sandra Wu-San fighting her sister Carolyn in a martial arts tournament. Believing that Sandra was holding back for Carolyn, Cain murdered Carolyn and lured Sandra into a trap, sparing her life in exchange for giving birth to his child and leaving that child for him to raise. She agreed. After the birth of Cassandra, Sandra set out to become Lady Shiva.

Cain trained Cassandra from birth how to be an assassin. She was not taught to read or write; instead, reading body language was her only language. She was able to read people's movements and predict what they were going to do. When she was eight, Cain took her to kill a businessman. As the man died, she read what he was feeling, realized what she had done, and ran away from Cain, resurfacing again during the No Man's Land arc.

.................As a side effect of Cain's training, Cassandra's brain developed learning functions different from most. Having been brought up by Cain deliberately without speech, the communication centers of her brain learned body language instead of spoken or written language. Thus, she originally had as much trouble learning spoken and written language as a normal individual would have in learning body language. Although she was able to learn some very basic things ("no," "yes," "me") the same way a normal person can learn to recognize smiles and frowns, it took a telepath rewiring her brain to teach her to speak and understand English. Even then, she only spoke with extreme difficulty (very falteringly, short sentences with long pauses, frequently using the wrong words, etc). The unusual way in which she was raised resulted in a form of dyslexia that hampers her ability to read and write. In Batgirl #67 Oracle performed a number of tests on Cassandra, determining the severity of the problem:
    “ "The language centers of your brain are all over both hemispheres. Not centralized like with most people. When you try to read or write, your brain doesn't know how to keep it cohesive." ”

In the new mini-series Batgirl, the first issue delves into an explanation as to Cassandra's increased verbal and literary skills. It is explained that during the year in which Batman, Nightwing and Robin were abroad, Cassandra and Alfred took it upon themselves to help develop the skills that she lacked due to her less than conventional childhood. By day she took speech and ESL courses. The formal training aided her thought processes related to language and thus her verbalization, improved rapidly.

TexiKen on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    She can now.
    From her Wiki:
    In the new mini-series Batgirl, the first issue delves into an explanation as to Cassandra's increased verbal and literary skills. It is explained that during the year in which Batman, Nightwing and Robin were abroad, Cassandra and Alfred took it upon themselves to help develop the skills that she lacked due to her less than conventional childhood. By day she took speech and ESL courses. The formal training aided her thought processes related to language and thus her verbalization, improved rapidly.

I don't know if I should thank you for enlightening me or curse you for exposing me to such stupidity!

Thanks!

Caveman Paws on
    edited August 2009
    You can ignore that part as it was done by Adam Beechen, the guy who destroyed Cassandra's character in the first place. See, DC let him do a Bat-Girl mini to try and explain away why he ruined her character (which makes no sense, you don't let Luthor rebuild the bridge he blew up, do you?). It was his way of trying to retcon why he made Cassandra such a blabbermouth in his Robin issues.

TexiKen on
    edited August 2009
    Wow yeah. That's pretty horrible. They should have just passed it off as mischaracterization and left it at that, rather than canonizing it.

Lucascraft on
    edited August 2009

Or can she?

You have to remember though, she was never really the detective type. Her skills lay more in beating the Hell out of people.

I've mentioned it before, but Damion Scott once did a story featuring an adult Tim Drake and Cassandra Cain functioning as a single Bat-entity, with Tim doing the detective work, and Cass doing the fighting, each compensating for the other's weaknesses.

Munch on
  • ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Munch wrote: »

Or can she?

You have to remember though, she was never really the detective type. Her skills lay more in beating the Hell out of people.

I've mentioned it before, but Damion Scott once did a story featuring an adult Tim Drake and Cassandra Cain functioning as a single Bat-entity, with Tim doing the detective work, and Cass doing the fighting, each compensating for the other's weaknesses.

Where can I find this story? You don't mean the teamup the two had in Bludhaven when they went against the Penguin late in the Batgirl series do you?

Zaylenz on
    edited August 2009
    It was in Scott's issue of Solo. There was also a good Spoiler/Batgirl story in there.

Munch on
  • thisonekidmongothisonekidmongo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    You can ignore that part as it was done by Adam Beechen, the guy who destroyed Cassandra's character in the first place. See, DC let him do a Bat-Girl mini to try and explain away why he ruined her character (which makes no sense, you don't let Luthor rebuild the bridge he blew up, do you?). It was his way of trying to retcon why he made Cassandra such a blabbermouth in his Robin issues.
    My favorite part about Beechen's work was Bruce's blase attitude toward Cassandra suddenly becoming evil. I think Tim brought it up out of concern, and Bruce just smiled and immediately dismissed it as anything worth caring about, basically saying "yeah, bitch went crazy, huh?" Never mind that he was going to adopt her at one point.

thisonekidmongo on
  • Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wow yeah. That's pretty horrible. They should have just passed it off as mischaracterization and left it at that, rather than canonizing it.

What's sad is that I think Beechen is one of the only people at DC that genuinely does care about Cassandra. He's the one who wanted to write the miniseries in the first place, and even went so far as saying that he wanted to write an ongoing about her. It's just a shame that he doesn't understand the character at all and can't write her to save his life, because I think his heart is in the right place.

Anyway, there's an interview with the writer of Batgirl over at Newsarama where he discusses the book and mentions that Cass's story will be explained "later" in the book, so maybe she won't be totally forgotten. Of course, he doesn't mention how much later.

Darth Nat on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    SCORE GEEBS 100 PAGES ON SERVO'S WATCH TODAY

and y'all know what that means- time for a new bat-thread to rise from the lazarus pits

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
This discussion has been closed.