As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Memory compatibility (possible) issue (SOLVED)

DourinDourin Registered User regular
Alright, so I'm a bit of a novice at system building, and haven't done it in quite a few years. Nonetheless, I decided that this time around, I'd give it a go rather than going the pre-packaged crapbox route. I tried to research my parts as much as I was capable of with my limited experience, and felt pretty confident with my choices.

Until today, that is. See, the mobo I decided on was the ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard, which, as I learned, has some very specific needs in regards to device compatibility. The ram I chose was Crucial 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory, and it seemed to fit the bill nicely. However, upon later looking at the manual for the mobo, it is not listed.

And this brings me to you guys. As I said, I have very limited knowledge of computer hardware, so I'm unsure if this is truly not compatible, or something as simple as just not on the list in the manual. I do know enough about hardware compatibility in general to know that there are times that something may not be on the verified compatibility list, but still work with the component, but am not sure if that applies here.

Thanks in advance for your help, guys.

Dourin on

• Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Looking at those two items, it's definitely compatible. The mobo specs show that it is compatible with DDR3 1333, which is what that RAM is listed as.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    That's what I figured. When researching it, I found 3 things in common between the ram and the mobo's requirements. It is DDR3, 1333, and Triple-Channel. Again, I don't know a lot about hardware, even less about ram, honestly, but I figured that pretty much covered all the bases.

Dourin on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If it is not on the motherboard's compatibility list it simply means that the motherboard manufacturer hasn't specifically tested that memory with that board. It may work, it may not. If you have a problem with the motherboard and they ask you for specs of your system, and you tell them you have that memory, they are going to tell you it is not supported. Check the Asus website for the latest compatibility list for that motherboard. So long as the type, speed, and timings all match what the board can handle I imagine you'd be fine, but there is no guarantee of compatibility. When I build a system I always check and double check compatibility of all components, its just not worth it especially when a lot of places won't take certain components back or charge major restocking fees.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ok, so I checked out the Asus homepage, and found the Qualified Vendor List, similar to that in the mobo's manual. In the pdf, it does show my memory as compatible, and as the only 2GB sticks on the list from that company. There was one 2GB stick on the list in the manual, as well, just not this one. This leads me to believe that Crucial changed their part no. after the manual was published.

Either way, the problem was solved, and my memory is compatible. Thanks Crashtard and travathian for your help! :)

Dourin on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Crucial tends to use different part numbers for retail (Newegg's site) or direct (Crucial's site.) They are very likely the exact same sticks, just different numbers to track them accordingly.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png