As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gaming laptop for under a grand?

langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
Can I get a good gaming laptop for under $1000 these days? I know it's probably better to build a new desktop, but I need a laptop for school as well so I'd like to kill two birds in one stone. I'm not even sure where I should look for something like this. I checked out Dell but they are pushing Alienware laptops for gaming and I think $1200 was the cheapest I saw.

langfor6 on

• RuddurBallRuddurBall Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    While its a little over a grand, you can get a great laptop that is good for gaming for around $1k. Best Buy Its the cheapest way to get the 260m in a laptop, which is what really matters.

RuddurBall on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    *insert buy a desktop and a netbook line here*

Seriously. If you want to play real/new games for more than a year, you're better off doing that.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A laptop for gaming under $1k isn't going to be good for gaming very long.

As wunderbar said, you could build your own desktop that runs newer games well and get a netbook for portability for around $1k. The desktop wouldn't have to be a monster so you could save a little on the regard to meet your budget.

SirToasty on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Plus he has a desktop, so depending on what he has, he would just be doing heavy upgrades.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
    edited August 2009
    Plus he has a desktop, so depending on what he has, he would just be doing heavy upgrades.

Cost of Heavy upgrades=Cost of new desktop

RuddurBall on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    RuddurBall wrote: »

Cost of Heavy upgrades=Cost of new desktop

These days you can get a a good gaming video card and CPU for under $100 each and a decent gaming computer could be build for $500 and awesome one might cost $700. Thus saving a couple hundred on case, PSU, HD, DVD, etc. can end up being a decent percentage of of the total cost.

That said, if you want to buy a gaming laptop this list of mobile video cards is indispensable.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited August 2009
    - case, hard drive, monitor, optical drive... every dollar counts.

Improvolone on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

And we both forgot the windows license.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited August 2009
    So langfor6, what are the stats on your current computer? If you give us what you have, we can easily spec you out a desktop and a netbook for under a grand. I have one from scratch (including a monitor and windows) that comes out to just over a grand.

RuddurBall on
    edited August 2009

That @%%$@$ windows license. Just when you think you have a build priced out, BAM! eat an extra 100-150 dollars.

RuddurBall on
  • RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've had a Gateway P-6831fx for almost two years now. Bought it for $1350 at best buy for some sale, IIRC. The thing weighs a billion pounds, and 17" is not practical by any stretch, BUT it is a true desktop replacement. For what I'm playing now, everything runs awesome. I ended up putting in a new processor since that came with it was a bad choke point. And I also bought a cooler pad so the intense heat from gaming doesn't fry anything / ruin battery, but 20 months later it still runs like new.

So basically I'm saying whatever gateway gaming laptop which is in your price range... get it.

Rivulent on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

That @%;%$@$ windows license. Just when you think you have a build priced out, BAM! eat an extra 100-150 dollars.

Except he's a student. Depending on his major and where he goes to school, the cost of a Windows license could be low or non-existent (the latter under the promise of non-commercial use).

Edit: also, Rivulent is onto something with that cooling pad. I have multiple friends whose gaming laptops have had heat issues. If you do get such a laptop, consider the pad mandatory.

Frem on
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have a family member that wants to purchase me a laptop for school. They are not going to bite on spending the money to build me a gaming PC and then a netbook. I've been given $1000 for a school laptop, so I want the best laptop I can get for that price that can also be used for gaming, as my current PC is obsolete for that purpose.

langfor6 on
    edited August 2009
    I'm not going to lie. You for $1000 you can get a good laptop, but don't expect to be playing modern games on it in at any decent settings in a year. I would look for other things first, like size, battery life, etc, and then if it happens to have discrete video which can game a bit, by all means.

But don't think you're going to get a machine designed for gaming in this situation. you could maybe look for a Gateway as suggested, but imo if this is for school, and you're carrying it around all day, the biggest thigns you should be looking for are screen size and battery life. Your shoulder, back, and mind will thank you later.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited August 2009
    I've been lugging around my eight year old laptop for a year so I'm not worried too much about weight. Battery life isn't much of an issue because I'm a computer science student, and all of our lecture halls have AC outlets at every seat, and I do most of my work outside of class in the engineering library, which also has outlets at every desk. My current laptop won't even run without being plugged in.

I'm really considering the laptop linked in the second post of this thread. It seems to be a good value. By modern standards the processor speed seems a little low, but my current laptop has a Pentium III in it for comparison.

langfor6 on
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    langfor: I spent 1400 on a laptop 2 years ago and it couldn't even play what was out. I even went with the best mobile video card I could get at the time.

What games are you playing?

What about telling the family member you want a really light weight notebook (299 for a netbook for class) but you'll need a good system to use more intensive applications for school in your dorm (600 to upgrade desktop)

Maybe that would convince them? And still be under 1k

streever on
    edited August 2009
    Dragon Age is my number one priority. Other recent PC games I have are Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Bioshock, and Jade Empire.

The 260M is roughly equivalent to a desktop 9800 GT, according to this page.

That's the card that's in the laptop in the second post.

langfor6 on
    edited August 2009
    Be aware that that laptop is over 7 pounds. So if you have to carry it around a lot, it's going to be a pain in the ass.

That laptop is also only rated for 2 hours of battery life, so in reality you're looking at 89-90 minutes in the real world. That, to be blunt, is shit.

the 260M is a good chip in a laptop, but it comes with some serious drawbacks.

wunderbar on
    edited August 2009
    What are the drawbacks?

langfor6 on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    microsoft_lauren.jpg

GAMING LAPTOP ON A MAC FOR UNDER A GRAND? IMPOSSIBLE!!!

In other news - I just sold my gaming notebook (GeForce 6600, 15.4", etc) for $175. It was $2000 when it retailed back in the day. Played crap like Warcraft, Portal, Call of Duty 4... all on max settings, surprisingly.

I think $1000 is plenty for a laptop that plays games, but not a gaming laptop... if you're looking to play those newer games.

GPIA7R on
  • TreTre Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Don't do it. Especially if you're budget is only a grand.

I ventured down the gaming laptop route, as did both of my roommates in college. For all three of us it was a horrible mistake. Yes, they're better this day and age, but it's still not worth it. For college you want lightweight, good battery life, and portability. Gaming laptops have none of these.

Grab a part time job and try to save money to upgrade or build a gaming desktop. In the long run, you'll be glad you did.

Tre on
    edited August 2009
    Have we ever actually convinced anyone, ever to NOT get a gaming laptop? I mean we always try, but in my experience they always end up getting one anyway.

RuddurBall on
    edited August 2009
    It happens sometimes, but it really seems to be one of those life experience things

Improvolone on
    edited August 2009
    I'm actually shying away from the concept. I'm starting to consider a netbook. Seems a lot closer to what I actually need for school. Too bad though. This was my big chance...*sob*

langfor6 on
    edited August 2009
    langfor6 wrote: »
    What are the drawbacks?

The impact on battery life is one of the biggest. 2 hours may seem like enough, but during a day at school, if you actually use it, and can't find a plug, which will probably happen more than you think, 2 hours is terrible.

the weight of the machine. 7 pounds is a beast. my laptop for work is 4.5 pounds, and I absolutely hate carrying it around. Again one of those things where you think that 7 pounds isn't that much, but when you're carrying around a 7 pound laptop, plus your books, plus your other stuff, it adds up, and gets pretty heavy pretty quick.

The size of the computer, again, 15.6" isn't terrible, but imo, to be truly portable, 13.3" is the sweetspot. This kind of goes in line with weight. It's just simply easier to carry around with you if it's a bit smaller.

a laptop with a higher end dedicated gpu will run hotter as well.

Remember, you're not just looking at specs of a computer here. You're looking at something you will be taking with you all day, every day. You want to be looking at buying a laptop thinking of that fact first.

wunderbar on
    edited August 2009
    I misunderstood your statement. I thought you were saying that specific video card had drawbacks.

Again, my laptop is old and heavy and doesn't run on battery at all, and I've been carrying it around every day since January. I was in the Army for four years where I had to ruck around with 40-50 pounds of gear fairly regularly, so the weight doesn't bother me.

Dropping a grand on something that won't play games in a year doesn't appeal to me though, even though it's not my money. I think I'm better off getting a netbook.

langfor6 on
    edited August 2009
    if you have a 1k budget why not get the best netbook you can for that, and then spend your own money on upgradding the desktop?

especially if you want to play anything that will come out in the next year--a laptop just won't cut it.

I mean even CS Source (old school) kills the vid card I have in my laptop, and that is on 800x600 with all settings to lowest. Top FPS is like 20, and this laptop was good at the time.
    --
    Yea--I really regret buying the laptop I did--it's a compaq with a cinematic wide-screen--but the reality it turns out is if I want to watch a movie I usually am home.

Carrying it around was horrible--led to a lot of shoulder/etc pain, and I'm a pretty strong dude.

It weighed about 6.7 lbs without battery--probably 7 with? I dunno. Anyway it was a monster. I really wish I'd bought a netbook.

streever on
    edited August 2009
    Not only that, battery performance will continue to get worse over time. Here's how my story went:

Freshman Year: Oh man, gaming laptop with 2 hours battery this is AWESOME.
    Sophomore Year: Hmm, battery only last 1 hour and 15 minutes, oh well that's still good for one class.
    Junior Year: WTF?, 40 minutes and my battery is dead with screen brightness turned all the way down.
    Senior Year: D:, 20 minutes of battery on a good day. I need an outlet everywhere.

My gaming laptop weighed an incredible 9 pounds, sounded like a jet engine because the fans had to be on max to keep it at reasonable temps, and in the end could barely run any games that came out a year after I bought it.

Tre on
    edited August 2009
    I'd like to upgrade my desktop, but at this point it would be a rebuild. My motherboard is AGP, my processor only has one core, and the rays in my disc drives aren't blu.

langfor6 on
    edited August 2009
    langfor6 wrote: »
    I'd like to upgrade my desktop, but at this point it would be a rebuild. My motherboard is AGP, my processor only has one core, and the rays in my disc drives aren't blu.

Yeah, you'd probably be looking at building a new one at this point. The good news is, decent gaming desktops are supa cheap these days. Head over to the computer build thread and you might be surprised of how nice a machine you can get for ~$700.

Tre on
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I bought my macbook pro over 2 years ago and it still serves me well as a gaming machine. The battery is crap though.

battery.jpg

Azio on
    edited August 2009
    azio what do you play on it for games?

& how much did you spend

streever on
    edited August 2009
    It was 2 grand when I bought it in august 2007. You could probably get a used one now for around $1000. I mostly play COD4, CoH, Civ 4, UT3, TF2, L4D, and other source games, all of which run well at medium to high detail. For the first year I used it exclusively for my PC gaming needs because my desktop was all fucked up. Now I mainly use it for LAN parties and work. It's a great desktop replacement.

I mean, sure, it won't do Crysis, but who honestly plays anything other than TF2 and a handful of other titles?

Azio on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I mean, sure, it won't do Crysis, but who honestly plays anything other than TF2 and a handful of other titles?

PC users.

Not to be a dick, but Macs aren't (and shouldn't) be suggested as "gaming laptops". They are far from customizable (in any affordable way, if so) and don't offer the same power for a much cheaper cost of a Windows laptop.

GPIA7R on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man I got my laptop for just under $1,000 2 years ago. It won't play fallout 3 on medium without stuttering much or anything, but it could play Bioshock at max just fine.

Dell Vostro 1500
    Nvidia Geforce 8600 256mb video card
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz processor
    2 GB RAM

It is kind of sucking right now because I maintained it badly, but once I get it fixed, I am pretty sure it will run just fine. Maybe not the newest games, but I have a desktop now for that. So yeah, I guess I did have to upgrade to a desktop a couple years down the line, but at the time, when I had to go with a laptop, it served me well.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

That @%%$@$ windows license. Just when you think you have a build priced out, BAM! eat an extra 100-150 dollars.

This confuses me. I've always just retired the old desktop, and used the version of Windows I was already using, on the new one. I had no problems with activation or anything.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited August 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    PC users.
    So wait, are you saying I somehow do not fall into that category? I'm a PC evangelist. I've been jailed for trolling apple users. This is the first (and probably last) apple I will ever buy. And in the two years I've had it, I've since rebuilt my gaming rig -- and even then, TF2 is by far the most played game on it. There just haven't been any popular PC multiplayer games that push the hardware envelope lately. Oh sure, there's the occasional diversion like Fallout or Crysis, but games like those are exhausted after a couple weeks. Nobody plays Crysis multiplayer. Standbys like COD4, games that everyone likes and which run on old hardware while still looking great, can last for years and years.
    Not to be a dick, but Macs aren't (and shouldn't) be suggested as "gaming laptops". They are far from customizable (in any affordable way, if so) and don't offer the same power for a much cheaper cost of a Windows laptop.
    Well at the time it was only like $150 more than a comparable notebook from Asus, and significantly smaller. Nowadays, I agree, new Apples are way too expensive. But as I said you can probably find a machine like mine for under a thousand, and it's perfect for those multiplayer standbys.

Apart from the batteries only lasting a year or so and the GPU burning out after a year and a half necessitating a motherboard replacement (which will inevitably happen to any notebook with nvidia graphics), my experience has excellent.

I just think that, frankly, if you want a gaming notebook that isn't a giant pile of shit, Macbook Pro is the only choice.

Azio on
  • commathecommathe Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I went from a 17 inch gateway laptop with 2 hour battery life and an x800 to a white macbook. It's super light, has the 9400m and I run windows xp on it too.

Ive played tf2 on it for 4 hours and while it gets warm, it never gets hot. It'll play anything up to left4dead on good settings, I havent tried anything higher than that. It's light enough to carry in one hand, and while I almost always use it while plugged in, it'll get anywhere from 4-6 hours with fairly constant wireless use/music playing. Closer to 3-4 playing movies or games.

It's only got a 13 inch screen (1280 x 800) so that's something to keep in mind, it only bothers me when I'm doing things in photoshop. Another bad thing is they seem to upgrade these every year. Upgrading from the intel graphics to the 9400 was huge though as far as performance.

It's $999, if you're a student you can knock $50 off, and you can get a free 8gig ipod touch if you do it during the back to school deal that's going on now. If nothing else, get the ipod and sell/trade it for a video card for your desktop.

But yeah, super light, great battery life, solid gaming.

Full specs and such:
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook?mco=MTE4MTY

commathe on
    edited August 2009
    I have to admit that's really tempting.

langfor6 on
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    you can also get a free printer i believe
    edit: so that's like $360 off, but if you sell it probably less. still though, i think it's a good deal

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*