As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Name this game thread

• AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2009
    I've asked this before and never got an answer. It was just some NES game that I rented one time. I remember that the story was something about needing to go find an herb or potion or something to save the king, and you had a (invisible maybe?) time limit of like 3 hours or so to go and get it and then make your way back, but the game gave you infinite continues or lives (or maybe I was just using a game genie for that). I never actually got to the herb though, or past like... stage 3.

The main thing I remember about it, aside from it being a side scrolling platformer, was that your main mode of attack (when you had one) was that you threw your fuzzy partner along the ground and then had to go grab him again (or just pick up him from a powerup later). I want to say it was a red fuzzball, but I'm not really sure why.

Aroduc on
  • DraysothDraysoth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    Seeks wrote: »
    Exin wrote: »
    Seeks wrote: »
    So, there was this game I used to play all the time when I was a kid. I think it was an NES game. It was a top-down shmup, where you were a dragon.

I recall the first (I think) level had lots of greenery and rivers and shit. And I think maybe you could change forms with powerups? Maybe grow additional heads? Not sure about that though.

Anyone know of top-down dragon shmups on the NES?

Dragon Spirit.

Oh my god, thank you. That shit's been nagging at me for years.
    What was the other one that was based on the D&D Dragons? You could choose a gold, silver or bronze dragon and each had different breath weapons.

dragonstrike

also
    #1) You play a high school kid. First stage starts in a classroom. It has you rapidly hitting the joystick left or right to push students out of their chairs with your ass as you make your way up to the door to leave the class. You have to wait for the teacher to write on the chalkboard so he doesn't catch you otherwise he'll come down and kick your ass. Overheard view. I don't remember the other levels.

i have definitely played this game, and its driving me nuts now

The game you seek is called Mikie - more properly called Highschool Graffiti Mikie

Draysoth on
    WiiU ID - Draysoth1
    Xbox Live - Draysoth1
    PSN - Draysoth
    Steam - Draysoth
    3DS - 2320-6133-3744
    Please let me know if you add me!
  • seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dude with a laser in his hat explores various ancient civilizations, punches greek symbols, and solves puzzles in order to find treasure. Edutainment at it's finest. If no one comes up with it, I'll bug my folks to dig through my old 3.5 disks.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2009
    seabass wrote: »
    Dude with a laser in his hat explores various ancient civilizations, punches greek symbols, and solves puzzles in order to find treasure. Edutainment at it's finest. If no one comes up with it, I'll bug my folks to dig through my old 3.5 disks.

Pretty sure it's still

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuRSa0xyWJE

Aroduc on
  • seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh yeah, super solvers. That takes me back.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sweet. I too was hoping for a thread like this just the other day.

Game is set in feudal japan. You have multiple armies that you move around the map slowly taking control. Top down view ala Colonization (i think), very slow moving game. Objective is to take over everything. I want to say it was on Amiga / C64 but can't remember which one it actually was, leaning towards amiga. I think that army size was denoted via the size of the flag on your standard, similar to the way warlords denotes group size.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Klatu wrote:

Game is set in feudal japan. You have multiple armies that you move around the map slowly taking control. Top down view ala Colonization (i think), very slow moving game. Objective is to take over everything. I want to say it was on Amiga / C64 but can't remember which one it actually was, leaning towards amiga. I think that army size was denoted via the size of the flag on your standard, similar to the way warlords denotes group size.

I can almost guarantee that was Nobunaga's Ambition.

There's no screenshots there (of the Amiga version) unfortunately, but there was a version on the Amiga and that's pretty much the concept of the following installments of the series.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Klatu wrote:

I can almost guarantee that was Nobunaga's Ambition.

There's no screenshots there (of the Amiga version) unfortunately, but there was a version on the Amiga and that's pretty much the concept of the following installments of the series.

Could very well have been cheers.

I had a look at the screenies of the other versions and they don't look like my memories (my memories made it seem a lot darker and more "realistic" map look rather than flat green) but then neither did The Mysterious cities of Gold when I went back and had a look at that, which looked nothing like what i remembered it hehe, my brain must upgrade the graphics of everything from my childhood.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »
    I've asked this before and never got an answer. It was just some NES game that I rented one time. I remember that the story was something about needing to go find an herb or potion or something to save the king, and you had a (invisible maybe?) time limit of like 3 hours or so to go and get it and then make your way back, but the game gave you infinite continues or lives (or maybe I was just using a game genie for that). I never actually got to the herb though, or past like... stage 3.

The main thing I remember about it, aside from it being a side scrolling platformer, was that your main mode of attack (when you had one) was that you threw your fuzzy partner along the ground and then had to go grab him again (or just pick up him from a powerup later). I want to say it was a red fuzzball, but I'm not really sure why.

kid kool

And just to make you feel bad, all I googled was "king herb throw" and it was the first result. :P

Morkath on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey here is one for you guys.

The year is 1997 and I am in my middle schools computer lab and supposed to be doing a report but I am not. I am playing an arcade shootem'up. Now its very basic but with nice 2-D graphics. From what I remember the spaceship that you used looked like a top down view of the V-Wing from Rogue Squadron but with a blue and silver color scheme. The power up you recieved would just widen your ship and alow you to shoot more bullets and I think some homing missles. It had boss battles but they were just large enemies with nothing special and it all took place in space.

Any idea?

I've played that game. But the name escapes me because this practically describes every SHMUP from around that time.

Haha yeah I know. it was very generic but its so basic that I loved it. Wish I knew what the game was.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2009
    Morkath wrote: »
    Aroduc wrote: »

kid kool

And just to make you feel bad, all I googled was "king herb throw" and it was the first result. :P

That's it, but I don't feel bad at all because A.) It was "king herb throw NES", B.) The only relevant thing that comes up is a TAS that's 3 days old, and C.) Even knowing the name, I can still only find like, 3 videos of the bloody thing.

Aroduc on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've got one. Platformer for the Amiga.

Basically, you played a woman, who I remember resembling Jill of the Jungle, though with a much smaller sprite. I'm pretty sure the stages were entirely horizontal, and there was some element of speed involved. The big thing was that you could turn into a fox or a wolf by collecting a powerup.

Any ideas?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Goose! wrote: »
    Someone tell me the NES or possibly Genesis? Game that had like orcs and goblins and stuff and you sailed around a 2d world map on a little tiny boat and would sometimes recruit dudes. It was like D&D plus chess a bit?

I don't remember too much else besides that. Don't even recall a story of any kind.

D&D plus chess...Archon?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Hey lets get the ball rolling since there's a game I haven't been able to find ever since I played it.

Its sort of a freeform space/fps hybrid. There's something attacking the galaxy and you need to stop it, there's a space combat mechanic and systems you travel through are connected by nodes you move through. You can walk around your spaceship in FPS mode, you have a glowing sword and the ship has teleporters and various areas with your modules in them. When you defeat enemies in space you can board their ships and steal their modules, like shield gens, targeting system, engines etc. You can also be boarded yourself and have to defend your own modules. The game looked built on the quake engine or similar, the graphics were not great.

I played this maybe 6-7 years ago.

Sounds a bit like Independence War, or maybe one of the Battlecruiser [3000AD, Millennium, etc?] games (though, admitting to having played the latter is... dangerous).

Tamin on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have one that I vaugely remember playing a demo of and thinking about getting, but never did. It was a kind of RTS/TBS hybrid, in that you wandered around the map recruiting your army like in HoMM games, and could buy upgrades for buildings too, but actual battles were real time. It came out around the same year as starcraft, since that year +/- one or two are the only ones I had a CD subscription to PC gamer.I think it had the word magic in the title, and you definately bought spells from mage towers

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • MeetVinceTheScoutMeetVinceTheScout Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    I have one that I vaugely remember playing a demo of and thinking about getting, but never did. It was a kind of RTS/TBS hybrid, in that you wandered around the map recruiting your army like in HoMM games, and could buy upgrades for buildings too, but actual battles were real time. It came out around the same year as starcraft, since that year +/- one or two are the only ones I had a CD subscription to PC gamer.I think it had the word magic in the title, and you definately bought spells from mage towers

Sounds like Lords Of Magic to me. Did you have a primary hero who could be a warrior or mage or thief, and on the selection screen some weird voiceover guy went "CHOOSE WARRIAH" "CHOOSE MAYJE" "CHOOSE THEEF" at you?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lords_of_Magic
    I played the shit out of that game.
    I also recall the main villain was named Balthor and rode around on a bat.

MeetVinceTheScout on
  • MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Sounds like Lords Of Magic to me. Did you have a primary hero who could be a warrior or mage or thief, and on the selection screen some weird voiceover guy went "CHOOSE WARRIAH" "CHOOSE MAYJE" "CHOOSE THEEF" at you?

Vaugly sound like rise of nations but that came out nearly a decade after starcraft.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I think it is lords of magic, or at least that sounds familiar. RoN isn't turn based, nor does it have magic, so I doubt that is it

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ah I totaly missed the last sentance there. But the campaign mode in RoN had a risk like turn based territory managment system.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »

Basically, you played a woman, who I remember resembling Jill of the Jungle, though with a much smaller sprite. I'm pretty sure the stages were entirely horizontal, and there was some element of speed involved. The big thing was that you could turn into a fox or a wolf by collecting a powerup.

Any ideas?

That sounds like it could be Vixen.

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Feriluce wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »

Any ideas?

That sounds like it could be Vixen.

Yeah, that's most definitely it. Awesome, thanks.

Though looking at it on Youtube it is dramatically slower than I remember it being :P

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Here's one:

This was a PC game from around the early to mid '90s. You were the captain of a space ship going from planet to planet searching for minerals or ore or other valuable things of interest (such as new lifeforms). When flying over the planets themselves, the view was a scrolling (toward the monitor) horizon through a kind of view screen and whenever you'd see something, you could stop and then you'd press a key and an armature would appear and 'suck up' the resource.

But sometimes you couldn't gather the object and it would appear to be lifted off the ground but not disappear into the armature. Thus you would need to leave the planet and upgrade your ship (more storage, better suction, etc.) I believe there was an internal market logic and not everything you would find would be worth gathering and selling at all times. And I think I remember there was a plot, that you were doing this to help finance some thing for your home planet.

Any ideas?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've got one too. I've been trying to figure out which game this was for years because when I saw it, it was the awesomest thing ever and I just had to have my own computer. But at my young age, I instantaneously and completely forgot the name of the game, and never actually managed to play it.

Old top down exploration game, sort of in the style of Adventure for the 2600 but slightly newer and on a computer... We're talking 8086/AppleII/Commodore64 era of computing here... Pretty much all I remember is that you spent the majority of the game inside a castle, and there were booby traps that killed you unless you were wearing the necklace, and there was a maze section with a spider.

Rigor Mortis on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

That game was not nearly as fun as Master of Magic in my opinion.

Though I did have fun glitching out the character creator in the beginning to get infinite ability points. I forget exactly how I did it, but if you selected skills in a certain way, then reloaded or reset it or something, they would still be selected, but you would still have your buy points. Then you could deselect the skills to get the original points back too. Rinse repeat for ridiculousness.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Here's one:

This was a PC game from around the early to mid '90s. You were the captain of a space ship going from planet to planet searching for minerals or ore or other valuable things of interest (such as new lifeforms). When flying over the planets themselves, the view was a scrolling (toward the monitor) horizon through a kind of view screen and whenever you'd see something, you could stop and then you'd press a key and an armature would appear and 'suck up' the resource.

But sometimes you couldn't gather the object and it would appear to be lifted off the ground but not disappear into the armature. Thus you would need to leave the planet and upgrade your ship (more storage, better suction, etc.) I believe there was an internal market logic and not everything you would find would be worth gathering and selling at all times. And I think I remember there was a plot, that you were doing this to help finance some thing for your home planet.

Any ideas?

There were a lot (like one or two dozen) of gather-resources-and-upgrade-your-spaceship-pew-pew games in the '90s, but I'm going to guess this one is Protostar: War on the Frontier.

Orogogus on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Here's one:

Any ideas?

There were a lot (like one or two dozen) of gather-resources-and-upgrade-your-spaceship-pew-pew games in the '90s, but I'm going to guess this one is Protostar: War on the Frontier.

That's the one. Thanks.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm trying to remember a game were there's a soundbite of a character saying "now I'm really pissed" I vaguely remember it possibly being from a PS1 era game and I think the character either says it when he gets hurt, a boss says it when he gets hurt or the character says inbetween rounds in a fighting game

Sorry for the vauge description but that's really all I can remember about it

PurpleMonkey on
    teddiepicture-1.jpg
    XBL, Steam & Tribes: elmartino333
  • evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm trying to remember a game were there's a soundbite of a character saying "now I'm really pissed" I vaguely remember it possibly being from a PS1 era game and I think the character either says it when he gets hurt, a boss says it when he gets hurt or the character says inbetween rounds in a fighting game

Isn't that one of Duke Nukem's soundbites?

evilmrhenry on
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

sounds like deus ex to me.

Drakmathus on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A friend of mine is looking for a game: it's an RPG, the usual: swords, castles, gain levels. The gimmick is that it switches to a side-scrolling, street-fighter-esque combat system for the random encounters. He is quite sure there is a move in the early parts of the game called "Sword Missile".

I think it might be one of the Tales of ... series, but none of the screenshots I pulled looked close enough. Playstation era, probably PSOne.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tamin on
  • nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
  • MindstormMindstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Here's one that I thought I'd have been able to find with a google search, but has turned up nothing.

I remember this demo of a sort of tank sim game you played that was from the earlier days of glide/direct 3d/openGL in the mid to late nineties. The worlds were pretty big and the surface was glaringly polygonal. I think the basic gist of the story was you had one country vs another country waging some sort of war. The tanks were all solid colors I think and were pretty basic looking, but I thought it had some basic flat shading on the tanks and a simple lighting system. I recall seeing them playing this game on the home shopping network (yeah I know) when they were hocking a pentium 2 machine priced at some outrageous sum of $1300 or something. I want to say that your tank, and the other tanks, could hover and that the game had virtually no textures at all. It was a PC game (maybe out on consoles, but I doubt it and am not sure that it was very popular).

I'll have to post in here if I have more questions. Some of the stuff posted in here took me back a bit.

Mindstorm on
    edited August 2009
    Early 3d hover tanks?
    Late 90's but maybe Battlezone?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2009
    It wasn't battlezone.

The graphics were absolute crap. They just colored in the polygons. It probably ran on the earliest of the early 3d cards, and I don't know when that would be. 1994? 1996?

Mindstorm on
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    tanarus?

Drakmathus on
    edited August 2009
    Tanarus was a glorious game. This was definitely not tanarus though. I don't believe it was multiplayer, or rather that was definitely not the primary focus of the game. Gah! Dammit, why can't I remember more details. I'm looking on home of the underdogs right now through all the titles they have listed. It definitely was more of a sci fi future war theme rather than a "hey it's the nazis versus the allies and the graphics just suck" kind of game.

Mindstorm on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's probably not Cylindrix, but that's the closest thing I can think of.

That's an interesting game though, and worth checking out since it's now freeware/open source.

Zxerol on
    edited August 2009
    Mindstorm wrote: »
    It wasn't battlezone.

The graphics were absolute crap. They just colored in the polygons. It probably ran on the earliest of the early 3d cards, and I don't know when that would be. 1994? 1996?

Sounds like some kind of tech demo. May not have had a real name. I'd imagine it might have been called GLTank or something equally creative.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited August 2009
    It may well have been something like that. I want to say that it had some sort of dynamic mission system, but I may be mixing that up with another game. I thought it had a decent story and you picked different missions like a tank assault or an escort mission and the drawback was that the graphics were mediocre, but a benefit was that the game always ran at 30+ fps. ARGH!

OK, you can hate on me now for sending you on a wild goose chase.

Edit: I do know that it definitely had some decent joystick support. I thought the controls in it were pretty decent, but I am a glutton for punishment.

Mindstorm on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I remember playing some sort of multiplayer tank game on a Silicon Graphics machine. If I remember correctly, you could choose from three tanks of various sizes and some sort of flyer. That probably isn't what you're thinking of, but it is early, 3D, and involves tanks.

Edit: If it had missions, no way in hell was it the game I'm thinking of.

jothki on