As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Japanimation] Mahjong: Putin, Papa Bush & Pope vs Hitler for fate of the world.

• juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's sort of like the concept behind a dollar auction.

This is even better:
    Escalation of commitment was first described by Barry M. Staw in his 1976 paper, "Knee deep in the big muddy: A study of escalating commitment to a chosen course of action".[1]. More recently the term Sunk cost fallacy has been used to describe the phenomenon where people justify increased investment in a decision, based on the cumulative prior investment, despite new evidence suggesting that the decision was probably wrong. Such investment may include money (known informally as "throwing good money after bad"), time, or — in the case of military strategy — human lives.
    This basically explains why I'm still subscribed to EverQuest.

juice for jesus on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2009
    The same reason any of us watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Aroduc on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Why do people read/watch/care about Naruto

Been asking that same question for years.

Godfather on
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Eh I find it enjoyable every now and then.

Though I will admit that I find pretty much everything I read in Shonen Jump these days to be a guilty pleasure.

(Except for Gintama)

Slicer on
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Two words, sir:

Rock Lee.

He is the greatest thing.

Greeper on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »

Because it was bad and you didn't really know any better?

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited August 2009
    Slicer wrote: »

Though I will admit that I find pretty much everything I read in Shonen Jump these days to be a guilty pleasure.

(Except for Gintama)

Hey

Hey hey hey

One of those properties you've nothing to be ashamed about.

Godfather on
    edited August 2009
    Godfather wrote: »

(Except for Gintama)

Hey

Hey hey hey

Oh right, I forgot about Hunter x Hunter.

It's easy to forget, though.

I've all but written it off what with all the delays.

Slicer on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »

Because it was bad and you didn't really know any better?

Exxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxactly.

Aroduc on
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The best thing about those videos is that I keep getting ads for "anime dating", whatever the fuck THAT means.

Also, Otoboku:
    Otome%20wa%20Boku%20ni%20Koishiteru%20-%2006%20-%20Large%2001.jpg
    Otome%20wa%20Boku%20ni%20Koishiteru%20-%2006%20-%20Large%2002.jpg

I mean, LOOK AT THOSE HIPS.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Godfather wrote: »

(Except for Gintama)

Hey

Hey hey hey

Oh right, I forgot about Hunter x Hunter.

It's easy to forget, though.

I've all but written it off what with all the delays.

Shabbada-wha?

Godfather on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    CHA LA

HEAD CHA LA

Konata singing that song was magical.
    Spectrum wrote: »
    The best thing about those videos is that I keep getting ads for "anime dating", whatever the fuck THAT means.

Also, Otoboku:

Ever hear of a manga called "No Bra"?

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    edited August 2009

maihusbando.jpg

juice for jesus on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

(Except for Gintama)

Bakuman is pretty good, or unique, at least, and it offers us a view into the Shounen Jump machine. I'm too lazy to write a summary, so here is one from Wikipedia. I tried to limit the summaries to the basic premise, leaving out plot twists and such.
    Bakuman follows the story of high school student Moritaka Mashiro... One day he draws a picture of Azuki Miho, a girl he is secretly fond of, during class and forge- BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Okay, the story isn't really that interesting. It only offers a motivation for the character's quest to get in Shounen Jump. The meat of the manga lies in the way they design a manga specifically aimed at the SJ market, all discussed in gritty detail. Bakuman also analyzes the process by which SJ chooses its writers and manga and completely deconstructs it. Honestly, I don't understand how the manga gets away with all the criticism.

There are rival mangaka and buddy mangaka and buddy mangaka who are also rivals.

Beelzebub is new but fun.
    The story follows the "strongest juvenile delinquent", Oga, as he watches over the devil king's son (a baby that he accidentally picked up, who happens to be the future devil king) with the destruction of the world hanging in the balance. He is chosen to raise the baby until he's of age to destroy mankind, together with the demon maid Hilda.

Sket Dance is fucking amazing. I will fight whoever claims otherwise. That's no lie.
    No wikipage, apparently. Anyway, wacky adventures with a trio of misfits as they form a club for the purpose of solving problems and helping people. It's comedy. Very good comedy. Some of the funniest shit you'll ever read.

Psyren is good too, though more shounen than all of the above series put together.
    One day while heading home, Ageha Yoshina finds a public pay phone ringing by itself. He picks it up, receiving no answer except a calling card with the word "Psyren" printed on it. After Sakurako Amamiya, a girl in Yoshina's class, disappears after mentioning "Psyren", Ageha uses the calling card in hopes of finding the whereabouts of his classmate, despite being warned not to get involved... He receives a call which gets louder and louder by the second. As he answers the phone, he is immediately drawn into the world of Psyren.

And, obviously, there's One Piece. It has its own thread.

TeaSpoon on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Greeper wrote: »

Two words, sir:

Rock Lee.

He is the greatest thing.

The greatest thing.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited August 2009
    One of us! One of us!

EDIT:

Also, Otoboku:

Bone structure is overrated!

Godfather on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That Bakuman synopsis doesn't cover just how good it is.

Kelor on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kelor wrote: »

It offers a tantalizing glimpse into the manga's soul... That is to say, it's only the basic premise, not a review.

I edited it for you.

TeaSpoon on
    edited August 2009
    DragonPup wrote: »
    Spice and Wolf II, episode 7
    Did Lawrence just defend the slave trade? D:D:D:

And Horo's gonna kill that guy who insulted her tail

I was kind of shocked by that, too. I guess it makes sense given the setting, but jeez.

juice for jesus on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Kelor wrote: »

It offers a tantalizing glimpse into the manga's soul... That is to say, it's only the basic premise, not a review.

I edited it for you.

I just sort of meant the love angle while one of the keystones of the story doesn't have as much emphasis as the competition/rivalry between the other characters.

More people should read it for sure though.

Kelor on
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Escalation of commitment was first described by Barry M. Staw in his 1976 paper, "Knee deep in the big muddy: A study of escalating commitment to a chosen course of action".[1]. More recently the term Sunk cost fallacy has been used to describe the phenomenon where people justify increased investment in a decision, based on the cumulative prior investment, despite new evidence suggesting that the decision was probably wrong. Such investment may include money (known informally as "throwing good money after bad"), time, or — in the case of military strategy — human lives.
    I just found my new sig :P

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Speaking of Jump, Yankee-kun and Megane-chan is pretty interesting so far.

Zandracon on
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

maihusbando.jpg

I took far too long trying to figure out why that video was half loaded and frozen :x

Falx on
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Falx wrote: »

maihusbando.jpg

I took far too long trying to figure out why that video was half loaded and frozen :x
    XD

Speaking Maria+Holic, is it any good?

EDIT: New Phantom OP. Yay!

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's pretty funny, but it tends to overuse the same gag.
    Will also make you say 'kyun!' more often.

Chrono Helix on
    edited August 2009
    Oh god, what the hell is going on in Phantom?
    How does someone age so quickly in only six months? Cal was flat chested 14 year old lolicon before the timeskip. Aging haxxorz!
    It's pretty funny, but it tends to overuse the same gag.
    Will also make you say 'kyun!' more often.
    Thanks for the input, mang

EDIT: Oh god, the pixelization in Umineko is horrendous!

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Ugh, I read, Nanoha: BetrayerS. How depressing.

Also, confusing. I'm not quite sure what happened, but it was horribly depressing. Exquisite art though.

Falx on
  • Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zandracon wrote: »
    Well uh. I guess there's a trap here, or at least some alarms are going off in my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g52A0qaq2A

You've got a good security system in there.

Chrono Helix on
    edited August 2009
    Heatwave wrote: »

Who are you using? gg is pretty high quality.

Falx on
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Heatwave wrote: »

Who are you using? gg is pretty high quality.

I'm guessing this isn't pixelation of the video, it's stuff in the latest episode. Aroduc snarked about it not long ago, and it really is pretty bad.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Oh right, haven't seen it yet.

Falx on
    edited August 2009
    What's weird is that when it happened, my first immediate thought was everyone must have grown a huge, rock-hard penis...

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh, hey. I got sigged by Chrono. Achievement unlocked, 50 forum points.

Other than the obvious (Saki), what else should I be watching out of the summer season? I've got nothing other than Spice & Wolf and hold overs from Spring and forever ago.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Chen wrote: »
    I'd vote Seiko from Lovely Complex for best trap. It was so unexpected and shocking, which is exactly what traps are for.
    lovecomep4seikocute.png
    princesslover06large13.jpg
    lovecom5qn5.png
    princesslover06large24.jpg
    On a lark, I decided to watch this. Wow, this pretty much animates like One Piece. Not surprising, since the same animation studio worked on it.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Chen wrote: »
    I'd vote Seiko from Lovely Complex for best trap. It was so unexpected and shocking, which is exactly what traps are for.
    lovecomep4seikocute.png
    princesslover06large13.jpg
    lovecom5qn5.png
    princesslover06large24.jpg
    On a lark, I decided to watch this. Wow, this pretty much animates like One Piece. Not surprising, since the same animation studio worked on it.
    Lovely Complex or Love★Com is a pretty great romantic comedy. I should finish it some day.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited August 2009
    Zandracon wrote: »
    Speaking of Jump, Yankee-kun and Megane-chan is pretty interesting so far.

It doesn't run in Jump, actually! :P
    Oh, hey. I got sigged by Chrono. Achievement unlocked, 50 forum points.

Other than the obvious (Saki), what else should I be watching out of the summer season? I've got nothing other than Spice & Wolf and hold overs from Spring and forever ago.

The only shows this season that really held my attention were Spice & Wolf and the new season of Zetsubou Sensei.

Though I suppose it's a good thing, I have a pretty huge backlog to work through.

Oh and it seems Gundam Unicorn has finally been confirmed to be 6 50-minute OVAs, woo.

Though apparently it has been moved from winter to next spring :(

Slicer on
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Am I the only one who thinks "Gundam Unicorn" is a silly title from a land of silly titles?
    l_gundam_unicorn.jpg

Accurate, though.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    We need a new thread.

And additional Pylons.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Someone should let elki know to lock it.

Falx on
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ugh, I read, Nanoha: BetrayerS. How depressing.

Also, confusing. I'm not quite sure what happened, but it was horribly depressing. Exquisite art though.
    what the

It's not as if this is hard to decipher.
    It's a ploy between Hayate and Chrono to take over the TSAB and increase the Church's influence vastly, putting them in charge. Nanoha agreed with it, Fate didn't because she's too soft-hearted. It's all due to them being bushwacked by new cyborg forces (I think, some new weapon at any rate), including losing Subaru and Ginga's father (and possibly Ginga as well? I can't recall). Subaru can't forgive them and swears vengeance, hence why she's on Fate's side. Caro and Erio obviously side with their mom. Tea sides with Nanoha for extra angst.

(Part of the problem here is that Hayate's plan seems to require Jail's assistance, who Subaru has a BIG problem with in this timeline for the abovementioned.)

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
This discussion has been closed.