As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You lost today kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it. (Isaac's Sketch Dump

Isaac_FeltonIsaac_Felton Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Artist's Corner
Hey guy's I've decided to work on my drawing for fun and to bring my skills up to a level I am happy with. I have plenty of ideas and stories I would like to tell through drawings, 3d and animation but am being held back by advancing in the more technical and software side but not the creative.

Time to change that 8-)

Here are some sketches I did as a start last night / this arvo.

308fvjc.jpg

2s80oqx.jpg

35a698o.jpg

Feedback and advice on the drawings as I post would be sweeet

Isaac_Felton on

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hmm, I'm finding it difficult to direct you, probably why no-one else has posted here.

I can't say how well you're progressing not knowing at what stage you were at a 1-6 months ago, but you seem to be guiding yourself in the right direction. Your hand studies are pretty good, try moving onto to eyes, lips and noses, it will help you piece heads together a bit more readily. Also check out the first page of the question and discussion page, there's plenty of links to good usefull stuff.

You appear to be pretty good at keeping tabs on what you need to be working on, so just keep doing what you are doing...also avoid the bum chin, I don't know if your ref(s) had one, but that can turn into a bad habit. Also, welcome to the forums and make sure you keep posting back. :)

Mustang on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    hey man, cool start. your characrters have a lot of life to them and are funny too. Just work on defining the structure a bit more. e.g the 'charming' dude with the raised eyebrow - his right side of his chin looks a little too straight. Hands look good too. Keep at it.

BTW - LOL at Tien!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Isaac_FeltonIsaac_Felton Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mustang: Yeah I was thinking it might be hard to crit at this stage when some of the pics cover the basics of getting into anatomy and only a few pictures and no progress shots. This is pretty much the first time I have tried some serious drawings for two years so have been at the same level for a while.

I'll take your advince and have a look around the thread for some good sources to follow! Oh the bum chin too just happens that I picked three people who have that cleft there :P But I do have a problem doing jaws too square.

Thanks winter too. That charming fellow is Sir Isaac Newton. Awesome name.

Okay here's another page I have done tonight. I'll probably cruise around different parts of anatomy for the rest of the week and do some focused studies on the weekend .. I hope :mrgreen:

24wdmx5.jpg

Here's some of my 3d work too.

34ijudc.jpg

Isaac_Felton on
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    gorgeous colouring on the models. Your wood textures and colouring look great. Is that all yours?

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Thanks Bwanie, yea modeling and texturing were done by me :mrgreen:. I really like 3d but it's a very procedural workflow and coming out with creative ideas on the fly as you model is pretty difficult so working on my drawing will surely help with original ideas and designs.

Here are a few new updates. Didn't do any drawing during the week which sucks.

29zpwus.jpg

jkk6x1.jpg

More to come.

Isaac_Felton on
    edited August 2009
    Check out Cakemikz figure drawing thread, he's just posted up a cracking video on the figure you'll find usefull.

With your eyes, avoid eyelashes for the time being and concentrate on the shapes.
    Also, your 3D stuff is frickin great.

Mustang on
    edited August 2009
    HAhA. Love the cotton-bud with the ear-wax and hairs. 3d is good too. liking the 1930s looking record player.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited August 2009
    Those are some good videos Mustang thanks for the heads up! Gotta thank cakemikz too his work is pretty awesome. I've been doing a few sketches more idea generation for characters and stories but will be keeping this thread confined to drawings and excercises to advance my skills.
    Hopefully some more proper studies coming tomorrow and next week if I can be bothered after work.. it would be great to still be studying but the more time you have just means more time you waste so ought to knuckle down!

Thanks wck you seem to notice the little details haha

Isaac_Felton on
    edited August 2009
    Some more poses while watching All The Presidents Men... try to pick the odd one out.
    21lmvxv.jpg

If you guessed the one with no hair you are correct!

Isaac_Felton on
  • Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's just the torso. It lines up too much and makes it look flat. You drew the object in motion and instead it looks as if his back is a pole, not a spine.

http://www.dhfa.net/Artiststatement2.html

This is a good little site to help. You are doing very good! Hope to see more progression.

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
    edited August 2009
    Did some drawing very late last night and this morning after not getting a change at all during the week D:
    I'm really enjoying just drawing with no real goal other than fun and development and having no pressure feeling this is what I need to do for a living.. though it will play a part in my ULTIMATE goal :mrgreen:

I had a quick look over some loomis pdf's and started to look at shapes in low poly and can see my hands improving just by looking at them differently even though I hadn't drawn for almost a week since my last post.

a0uolw.jpg

2yvquzn.jpg

Isaac_Felton on
    edited August 2009
    Coming along nicely Isaac, keep it up.

Mustang on
    edited August 2009
    Dude, you're improving with each post. Looking cool. You should try screwing around with water colours and watered down acrylics. It's really fun to work with.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited August 2009
    Thanks mustang and winter :D
    When I've finished my rounds of anatomy I might start having a crack with other mediums but for the moment I've still got a long way to go with the old classic pencil. I figure if I can do interesting characters and compositions in only pencil then I will be able produce something even better with a more expressive medium :P

I'm about done with hands for a while, I don't want to linger too long on one area for now but can see improvement from my earlier hand studies which will hopefully improve more drastically once I start reading these loomis and other lessons sitting on my hard drive.

jscc5s.jpg

smua04.jpg

Isaac_Felton on
    edited August 2009
    Some leg studies I did on and off during the day. Probably my last upload until next weekend again damnit. :x

293k9qp.jpg

2s7w1lw.jpg

2h4ez6e.jpg

Isaac_Felton on
    edited August 2009
    Managed to do a few sketches after work tonight.. stupid body needing sleep!

347a70y.jpg

Isaac_Felton on
    edited August 2009
    nice shading dude! Captured form and tone really well.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited September 2009
    Woah its been ages since I've posted anything here! Mainly because of nothing worthwhile to post up but I've still been working on my drawing no anatomy studies though just some fun sketches as foundation studies have felt like a chore lately. So I've been back into 3d and have started work on a 70s style lounge room and been reading up like mad on lighting and rendering tutorials and colour theory so to get this looking good.

At the moment I've blocked in temporary geometry to get the scale right then will replace out each item with the proper detailed and textured version.

Layout Sketch
    10ghfmb.jpg

2vbrad1.jpg

2jb624w.jpg

Isaac_Felton on
    edited September 2009
    Freaking sweet,. Reminds me of Back to the Future 3.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited September 2009
    Just a quick update. A bit dark right now but will work on the lighting later. Couches and table have been modeled. Tested the rendering of the TV screen to get it illuminated (just a plain white right now). More later... some drawings too :D

35i0y3d.jpg

Isaac_Felton on
    edited October 2009
    After putting this off with other distractions I'm back to it and will be getting the major models done by the end of the weekend...

The tv's sporting a simple colour map with shadows right now but later on a bit of grime on the buttons and finger smudges and reflections on the screen. One of those rbg colour symbols would look sweet with the logo too... oooh it's in colour :winky:

1zq4h3o.jpg

24wzyac.jpg

Isaac_Felton on
    edited October 2009
    @ television model: I dont know anything about 3d, but perhaps it looks a little too 'cartoony'? or maybe its because you havnt set up a light source yet?
    Otherwise, i think the model looks really good. LOL. i remember i had a t.v. like that at my house years ago!

winter_combat_knight on