As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Seattle Area Map and Info Thread

• MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    deveric wrote: »
    I've seen a few discussions of sushi places, can anyone provide more info on the different places? A few of us are looking to go out on Thursday night, and here is what I am able to piece together:

Sushiland: Rotational sushi, on conveyor belt, prob not best for sit down dinner
    Blue C Sushi: More traditional restaurant.

I also see a lot of stuff on yelp, anyone have any other recommendations? http://www.yelp.com/search?find_loc=Downtown,+Seattle,+WA&cflt=#find_desc=sushi&attrs=

Thanks,
    deveric

FORTHELOVEOFGODANDALLTHATISHOLY please don't eat at Sushiland. It is the worst food I have ever had anywhere ever, let alone the worst sushi.

BlueC is also a conveyor-belt restaurant, it is slightly better than Shittyland, but not by a wide margin. Although I've heard that the Downtown and Fremont ones aren't too terrible.

My recommendation is Umi Sake House , which is HERE. One of my favorite sushi places in Seattle, and definitely the best one within reach of the WSCTC/Downtown. And my absolute favorite thing about Umi's is that it is pretty awesomely cheap during their Happy Hour.

I also think Red Fin is pretty good. But please, don't go to Sushiland!!!

MetaverseNomad on
  • PunkJrPunkJr Decepticon Infiltrator Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm also a fan of Hana up on Broadway in Capitol Hill for sushi.

It's a bit of a hike from the Con, but well worth it in my opinion. :)

PunkJr on
    daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
    Pirate, Stormtrooper, Decepticon
    Yes, my middle name really is MEGATRON
    Former Ravenclaw Death Eaters Head of House
  • BerylliumBeryllium Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Has anyone posted the Online Bus Planner yet?

http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/cgi-bin/itin_page.pl

Indispensable tool for getting around Seattle.

Keep in mind that we have a ride free area (no charge for bus fare) around the convention center. Routes can be found here: http://transit.metrokc.gov/tops/bus/area_maps/seattle_cbdroutes.html

MetroDowntownMap_preview.gif

Beryllium on
  • RedwingedblackbirdRedwingedblackbird Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    For anyone flying in SeaTac airport, there is a Seattle Downtown shuttle that runs from SeaTac to the Downtown hotels. There is also a new light rail that runs from Tukwila, just north of the airport, to Seattle. It has several stops in downtown and ends at Westlake Center, which is just a couple blocks from the convention center. The lightrail hasn't been completed to SeaTac yet, but there is a shuttle that takes you from Bay 2 to the Tukwila Station, which in only a couple minutes away. The lightrail is cheaper, faster, has more runs than the shuttle. But the shuttle may stop at your specific hotel. Here's the links to the shuttle and lightrail:

http://www.graylineseattle.com/airportexpress1.cfm

http://www.soundtransit.org/Riding-Sound-Transit/Schedules-and-Facilities/Central-Link-Light-Rail.xml

Redwingedblackbird on
  • thetelevisi0nthetelevisi0n Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is light rail going to be crowded since its Labor Day/PAX/Bumpershoot weekend?

I'm kinda apprehensive about taking light rail since its pretty new and they haven't worked out all of the kinks in the ticket machine.

thetelevisi0n on
    edited August 2009
    It may be crowded... but I can't see allot of people flying in for bumpershoot... I've never been to it, but it seems to be more of a local seattle/washington thing... kinda like like a fair. You'll probably see more people flying in for PAX than Bumpershoot. The rail also runs more frequently than the shuttle. And even if the train is crowded, it is still cheaper and faster than the shuttle. But check the link for the shuttle, and see if it stops at, or closer to your hotel than the lightrail...

Redwingedblackbird on
    edited August 2009
    I stayed the night in Seattle a coupel days ago and took the lightrail... the machines worked fine, taking cash or card. I doubt there will be that many problems with the machines as to stop or even slow you down with travel.

Redwingedblackbird on
  • CadynCadyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    On the more general subject of travel between the SeaTac Airport and the convention center, how safe is the area around the airport? I'm staying near there this year rather than downtown, relying on public transportation to get to and from the convention. Is this a reasonably safe option?

Cadyn on
  • drale03drale03 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cadyn wrote: »
    On the more general subject of travel between the SeaTac Airport and the convention center, how safe is the area around the airport? I'm staying near there this year rather than downtown, relying on public transportation to get to and from the convention. Is this a reasonably safe option?

Diddo for me. I'm staying in Tukwila and saw a review on Orbits for my hotel naming it "The Ho and Pimp Hotel".

drale03 on
  • AliBiteAliBite Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm hoping someone could help answer a question for me. My fiance and little brother in law are coming with me to PAX and we're traveling so we're going to stop by The Melting Pot in Portland but it'd be nice if we could find a nicer place to have dinner in Seattle or on our way back through Portland. I'm looking for somewhere a suite and tie wouldn't be out of the ordinary.
    Thanks

AliBite on
    Staff Captain - All those gold bars are blinding huh?
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    That's pretty damn vague. There are plenty of nicer restaurants in Seattle that are more upscale. Maybe if you gave us something to go on other than the dress code.

Otherwise just look on citysearch I guess.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Beryllium wrote: »
    Has anyone posted the Online Bus Planner yet?

http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/cgi-bin/itin_page.pl

Indispensable tool for getting around Seattle.

Keep in mind that we have a ride free area (no charge for bus fare) around the convention center. Routes can be found here: http://transit.metrokc.gov/tops/bus/area_maps/seattle_cbdroutes.html
    very important note about the free ride area is that it's only free from 6 am to 7 pm and of course, only if you enter and exit the bus within the free ride zone

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • KyoutekiKyouteki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I did this last year (wife got us a nearly-free room at an airport hotel through the company she worked for). It was pretty safe, I never felt endangered (except for one incident on the bus at 1am), but using the bus to get to and from Downtown Seattle was a pain. In. The. Ass. Bus rides were about 45 minutes, and if you don't get back early enough, you could stand around waiting for that long (or longer) for a bus to come by to take you back to your apartment.

This year, I'm splitting a hotel room with a bunch of folks. The room won't be as private/comfortable, but it will be SO much easier.

Kyouteki on
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    AliBite wrote: »
    I'm hoping someone could help answer a question for me. My fiance and little brother in law are coming with me to PAX and we're traveling so we're going to stop by The Melting Pot in Portland but it'd be nice if we could find a nicer place to have dinner in Seattle or on our way back through Portland. I'm looking for somewhere a suite and tie wouldn't be out of the ordinary.
    Thanks

Yeah, we might be able to give you a better recommendation if you have any other specific interests, but, the first thing I thought of was Purple, it always seems so fancy. Although I've never actually eaten there, so I can't officially recommend it. Wild Ginger (and, by extension the Triple Door) is very good.

I'd also recommend staying away from the chain places like McCormick and Schmick's and Rock Bottom. Because, they're pretty good, but why go to a chain place while you can go somewhere really nice and actually local?!

MetaverseNomad on
  • causaboncausabon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kyouteki wrote: »
    I did this last year (wife got us a nearly-free room at an airport hotel through the company she worked for). It was pretty safe, I never felt endangered (except for one incident on the bus at 1am), but using the bus to get to and from Downtown Seattle was a pain. In. The. Ass. Bus rides were about 45 minutes, and if you don't get back early enough, you could stand around waiting for that long (or longer) for a bus to come by to take you back to your apartment.

Yeah, if you have to do this (and it is a pain in the ass), remember the important distinction between the buses:

Route 194 - Express to the airport (30 minutes total), no other stops in Tukwila, some stops south of the airport. Last southbound bus leaves Seattle at 9:45 PM on Saturday!
    Route 174 - Local service all the way down (45-50 minutes total), stops in Tukwila and everywhere else, but does run late at night.

If you're stuck in Tukwila no matter what, see if you're close to the Tukwila light rail station. Nicer, faster ride, and the last trains are pretty late. If you're actually staying at the airport, though, the 194 bus is usually a few minutes faster because of the temporary rail shuttle.

causabon on
  • AliBiteAliBite Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, we might be able to give you a better recommendation if you have any other specific interests, but, the first thing I thought of was Purple, it always seems so fancy. Although I've never actually eaten there, so I can't officially recommend it. Wild Ginger (and, by extension the Triple Door) is very good.

I'd also recommend staying away from the chain places like McCormick and Schmick's and Rock Bottom. Because, they're pretty good, but why go to a chain place while you can go somewhere really nice and actually local?![/QUOTE]

Sorry the reason it was so vague is because I really don't know what I want, just somewhere upscale and different. We've narrowed it down to either Crush or Canlis. Thanks guys.

AliBite on
    Staff Captain - All those gold bars are blinding huh?
    edited August 2009
    For people looking for inexpensive transportation from the airport to downtown, I'd recommend taking the light rail instead of one of the buses.

The light rail will end up connecting all the way to the airport later this year, but currently the last stop is near the airport. However, there's a shuttle specifically for the light rail from the airport.
    Here's the information on where to catch the shuttle at the airport and the schedule (in case you're flying in late, make sure the shuttle and the train run at that time).
    The fare for the light rail from the Tukwila station (near the airport) to downtown is $2.50 and the trip (after you take the shuttle to the Tukwila station) is about 35 min.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • I3ladeDragonI3ladeDragon Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    AliBite wrote: »

I'd also recommend staying away from the chain places like McCormick and Schmick's and Rock Bottom. Because, they're pretty good, but why go to a chain place while you can go somewhere really nice and actually local?!

Sorry the reason it was so vague is because I really don't know what I want, just somewhere upscale and different. We've narrowed it down to either Crush or Canlis. Thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

I've been to Canlis. Very very nice place! Come expecting around 5 courses. They have 2 starting dishes, the main course, a side, and desert.

The Canlis Steak Tartare is VERY good as one of the two starting courses. American Wagyu Tenderloin was the main dish I had and I have got to say, it is the best steak I have ever had in my life. Tender enough to cut with a fork and PACKED with flavor! And finally my personal favorite desert, the Creme Brulee brought a nice, yet light, closure to the meal.

HOWEVER: Make note that I don't dine at high-end classy restaurants often and as such, don't come to a hasty conclusion.

That said, if you want to take in the Seattle/North-West theme at a classy resteraunt with the best view in the house, I would highly recommend the Space Needle Restaurant. It is located at the top. As you dine, you can watch as the scenery changes (the restaurant slowly rotates 360 degrees as you dine.)
    http://www.spaceneedle.com/restaurant/menu.html

I3ladeDragon on
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

That said, if you want to take in the Seattle/North-West theme at a classy resteraunt with the best view in the house, I would highly recommend the Space Needle Restaurant. It is located at the top. As you dine, you can watch as the scenery changes (the restaurant slowly rotates 360 degrees as you dine.)
    http://www.spaceneedle.com/restaurant/menu.html

I've been to a few 'needle' restaurants in different cities and they've all been good. Will have to check this one out too.

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • aragorn18aragorn18 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    drale03 wrote: »

Diddo for me. I'm staying in Tukwila and saw a review on Orbits for my hotel naming it "The Ho and Pimp Hotel".
    I won't lie to you, most of the prostitution in the city happens near the airport in the hotels there. But, I don't think there's any serious problem with violent crime. Just leave the hookers alone and they'll leave you alone.

aragorn18 on
    edited August 2009
    aragorn18 wrote: »
    drale03 wrote: »

I won't lie to you, most of the prostitution in the city happens near the airport in the hotels there. But, I don't think there's any serious problem with violent crime. Just leave the hookers alone and they'll leave you alone.

The bad areas of Greenlake can be kinda sketchy, and I wouldn't want to be at 3rd and Jackson after sundown, but the area where the Convention Center is? Pretty safe.

Just use your instincts. If there are sketchy-looking people hanging around, go somewhere else.

Beryllium on
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I heard some of the homeless people are really friendly and sometimes hilarious...
    Sorry, a little off topic.

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
    edited August 2009
    Serenity wrote: »
    I heard some of the homeless people are really friendly and sometimes hilarious...

You're right in that. Seattle seems to have a disproportionately colorful hobo population... approaching them, however, is not advised. Some of them throw a mean temper tantrum and others will corner you into long and awkward conversations that will scar you for life.

There's druggies and small-time gang violence in various pockets of Seattle (like any city), but hardly anything to be frightened of in the Downtown corridor. Use common sense: don't make eye contact, don't give them money, keep walking.

Beryllium on
  • ZarcathZarcath Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Quick question but I remember a while ago there used to be a Wizards of the Coast Game Center near UW. Google Maps Street View doesn't show it at the location it's unverified listing is at. Does it still exist or was it shut down?

Zarcath on
  • causaboncausabon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zarcath wrote: »
    Quick question but I remember a while ago there used to be a Wizards of the Coast Game Center near UW. Google Maps Street View doesn't show it at the location it's unverified listing is at. Does it still exist or was it shut down?

If you're thinking of the one on University Way at 45th St., it shut down about eight years ago.

causabon on
  • ZarcathZarcath Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    causabon wrote: »
    Zarcath wrote: »

If you're thinking of the one on University Way at 45th St., it shut down about eight years ago.

wow that's a bummer. I went to the game camp thing a long time ass time ago. I think the camp got shut down shortly after too because a kid had seizures in the mech warrior pod.

Zarcath on
    edited August 2009
    that store front was a money pit for Hasbro (parent company of WotC)
    it just kept losing money

it was cool from a customer perspective, but simply impractical from a business perspective

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think what I am going to do when I head in from the airport is hit up Uwajimaya and the Pink Godzilla. Then, I am going to make my way over to Nintendo US in the Redmond and also look around Digpen.

Krathoon on
  • Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You're right in that. Seattle seems to have a disproportionately colorful hobo population... approaching them, however, is not advised. Some of them throw a mean temper tantrum and others will corner you into long and awkward conversations that will scar you for life.

Last time I was in Seattle, walking North after a football game, there was homeless man standing in the street yelling at the entire crowd walking away from the game. Screaming and cussing them out for walking through his house, and about how he doesn't come walk through our living room...

This was not done in a sarcastic or funny manner. It was done with full on rage and insanity.

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    They can't all be colorful and benign.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    edited August 2009

Last time I was in Seattle, walking North after a football game, there was homeless man standing in the street yelling at the entire crowd walking away from the game. Screaming and cussing them out for walking through his house, and about how he doesn't come walk through our living room...

This was not done in a sarcastic or funny manner. It was done with full on rage and insanity.
    homeless people with mental health issues? who'd of thunk it?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Legions Of AntsLegions Of Ants Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, what exactly is the bar hopping area near downtown? So far, I've checked and it looks like Post Alley is the place to go for Friday/Saturday night shenanigans. But where's everyone from the convention be going out? I missed out on my chance for Friday badges, so now I gotta spend my time getting my drink on.

Legions Of Ants on
    Sonar signals singing back at me.
  • RaymanRayman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ok, looks like the Dragonfish Asian Cafe is right by our hotel, so I am looking for unbiased opinions on the food. My kids and I love sushi and we are digging the fact that its so close to our hotel. Is the food/atmosphere good? Is there a better sushi place close by? Thanks.
    r

Rayman on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rayman wrote: »
    Ok, looks like the Dragonfish Asian Cafe is right by our hotel, so I am looking for unbiased opinions on the food. My kids and I love sushi and we are digging the fact that its so close to our hotel. Is the food/atmosphere good? Is there a better sushi place close by? Thanks.
    r

I ate there last year and it was pretty good, but I didn't have the sushi so I can't speak to that.

SlickShughes on
  • RaymanRayman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    r

I ate there last year and it was pretty good, but I didn't have the sushi so I can't speak to that.

So what did you have? We are all about eating at local places that we CANNOT get at home, we love to support local, great restaurants. VIVA PAX!!

Rayman on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    All I can remember clearly is the caramel ginger chicken. I really liked it, but then I like sickly sweet food stuffs. If you like sesame or orange chicken from run of the mill fast food places, it's a classy version of that. Not full on syrupy, but in that realm.

I had some kind of noodle dish too. It was tasty as well.

SlickShughes on
  • DMmagicDMmagic PAX East Enforcer Springfield, MO, USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This is amazing! Many, many thanks. We suddenly have to attend a funeral today and tomorrow, ratcheting up my stress for PAX as I'm going to lose out on a lot of the prep-time I had counted on. This helps a lot.

DMmagic on
  • I3ladeDragonI3ladeDragon Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    r

So what did you have? We are all about eating at local places that we CANNOT get at home, we love to support local, great restaurants. VIVA PAX!!

I am a a local, so I can recommend a few places. Anyone who is looking for a specific type of place or food, just send me a PM and I can most likely hook you up with a good spot to dine. Here is a small list of tasty places.

Over on 1st and Cherry is a place called Zaina. Good Mediterranean food there. Even better if you continue going down 1st. at Pioneer square is a place called Mediterranean Mix. They sell cream-cheese hot dogs which sounds strange but is AMAZING!!!!

Go down a "secret" set of stairs at Pike Place and you will find an amazing authentic hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant with delicious food.

Really close to the fish market segment is a place you can go called Lowell's that has amazing breakfast! It has a scenic overlook of the water too!!!

If you happen to find Pan Africa along Pike Place it has amazing tea.

Piroshky Piroshky has smoked salmon piroshky's. Which are a must have.

OH! For souvenirs I highly recommend Best of Seattle (no not the coffee shop which is named Seattles Best) My mother works there!

Also, we have a Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe down by the water near Pioneer square. It's like walking into a Ripley's Believe it or Not place a little.

I3ladeDragon on
    edited September 2009
    the directions to the unnamed mystery mexican place are incredibly vague

I'm going to assume you mean El Puerco Lloron and actually provide some useful information so people can actually find it. It is indeed good, authentic Mexican food. No frills, reasonably priced, tortillas made by hand daily.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Go down a "secret" set of stairs at Pike Place and you will find an amazing authentic hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant with delicious food.

Do you mean the hill climb behind the market, or some stairs in the market to the down under? I work at 3rd and Seneca so I'm always scouting new lunch spots.

trickycoolj on
This discussion has been closed.