As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX'09 Photo Scavenger Hunt

PunkJrPunkJr Decepticon InfiltratorSeattle, WARegistered User regular
edited November 2009 in PAX Archive
Last year, our very own EvilBadMan came up with the inaugural PAX Photo Scavenger Hunt. He has now passed the mantle on to me, so I’m proud to present to you...
The PAX’09 Photo Scavenger Hunt!!

What's All This?

Scavenger Hunts, by in large, are excursions charged upon unlucky volunteers wishing to demean themselves for the dual rewards of humor and infamy. This one is no different, set in a familiar Achievement and Gamerscore fashion.

What Do I Need To Participate?

A digital camera (or some way to get pictures onto a computer)
An internet connection
An Email address
The willingness to participate in an amusing event during the weekend that costs you nothing to enter other than time

Rules
  • All Pictures MUST take place during the 2009 Penny Arcade Expo, in the Convention Center, unless otherwise noted. If the task requires you to be outside the convention center, a PAX badge MUST be visible on the participant.
  • All pictures MUST have the participant included in them (or if running a team, the TEAM LEADER).
  • Please use restraint and common sense when acquiring pictures needing the assistance of a celebrity or otherwise well known figure, as they are trying to enjoy the Expo as well.
  • The Deadline for Emailing items to PAX09SCAVENGERHUNT@GMAIL.COM with the title PAX Scavenger Hunt is Thursday, September 10th, 2009. Please include links for photographs, or attach them.
  • The Multiplier Rule: 3 Achievements in 1 photo = 2x, 5 Achievements = 3x, 10 Achievements in 1 photo = 4x.

The Prize!!

The winner of our hunt will win 1 (one) 3-Day Pass to PAX 2010, or to PAX East, if they so choose!!

(More of the prize will be posted as we get closer to the start!)

I'll be adding to the official list every day until the Thursday prior to PAX (September 3rd).

Please feel free to post suggestions, critiques, corrections, or anything else awesome.

But first, we'll start with a few original items from last year.

Your Assignments!!
  1. I'm Here, Now What?: Attended PAX 2009. (10 Points)
  2. Prove it: Hug someone with an "I <3 Geeks/Gamers/Nerds/etc" T-Shirt. (20 Points)
  3. Slow Ride: Gave an Enforcer a piggyback to their desired destination. (25 Points)
  4. Chippy: Purchased a cookie from a pin-wearing member of the Cookie Brigade. (20 Points)
  5. Who Watches The Watchmen?: Take a picture with someone wearing a media badge. (10 Points)
  6. Thou Shalt Not Sin To Win: Apologize to a booth babe for EA's Comic Con stunt. (25 Points)
  7. This Was A Triumph: Take a picture with an attendee & their Companion Cube. (20 Points)
  8. Friday Night Lights: Photograph a FRIDAY ONLY Badge. (20 Points)
  9. S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y NIGHT: Photograph a SATURDAY ONLY badge. (25 Points)
  10. Sunday Bloody Sunday: Photograph a SUNDAY ONLY badge. (30 Points)
  11. The Tube Is Civilization!: Safely wielded a Cardboard Tube. (20 Points)
  12. The PWNIE Express: Create a family portrait with yourself, someone from the BYOC contest & their My Little Pony. (25 Points)
  13. It's SO BAD: Find an attendee with a power glove. (25 Points)
  14. NerdCore Rising: Attended a PAX Concert. (10 Points)
  15. Do Not Trust This Man: Coerce EvilBadMan into taking a picture with you. (25 Points)
  16. Parental Units: Find a con-goer attending PAX with their mom or dad. (20 Points, or 40 Points for both parents in the shot)
  17. Keep Your Enemies Closer: Cooperated with another Scavenger Hunt Participant. (30 Points)
  18. Altair's Descendant: Find an attendee playing the Assassins Game. (10 Points)
  19. 15 is the MINIMUM: Take a picture with a Buttoneer with at LEAST 15 pieces of flair, and a terrific smile. (10 Points + 1 Point PER BUTTON over 15 that's easily visible in the picture.)
  20. Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da: Play The Beatles: Rock Band with a bra on your head. Yes, you read that correctly. On you head. (50 Points +16.66 per person in the band with a bra on their head, for a total of 100 points for all 4 members. +25 more for actually playing Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da)
  21. The British Invasion: Find the only Enforcer from the UK and convince him to snap a picture with you. (25 Points)
  22. 'SPLODE!!: Take a picture with 'Splosion Man or one of the Big Science scientists! (20 Points for the first character. +10 per each additional)
  23. How Appropriate, You Fight Like A Cow: Find Guybrush Threepwood! (25 Points)
  24. Munch This: Take a picture with the Munchkin Mascot! (25 Points)
  25. Acquisitions, INC: Take a picture with one of the members of the famous team. (40 Points)
  26. The Force is Strong With This One: Take a picture with a character from the Star Wars Universe. (20 Points)
  27. Yars' Revenge: Take a picture with an Atari 2600 Catridge. (20 Points)
  28. Strip Recreation Redux: Emulated the expressions in panel three with you new overjoyed friend... (30 Points)
  29. Record Breaker: One Photo, at least 10 Nintendo DS or DSi's. (30 Points)
  30. Team Pirate: Take a picture with the Goddamn OmegaPirate and her Crew. (20 Points)
  31. Local Favorite: Take a picture with hometown Omeganaut Eye-Shuh. (20 Points)
  32. Help! Help! I'm Being Repressed!: Photograph of yourself after the someone holding "The Line Ends Here" Sign (or whatever is used for marking the end of the line for panels). (10 Points)
  33. Didn't You Get My Tweets?! I Just Twoted All Over The Place!: Photograph with yourself & someone wearing the official Twitter Shi**er T-Shirt. (25 Points)
  34. Good Morning! How much does that weigh? Ham!: Produce a photograph that makes absolutely no sense but has a minimum of 2 major things going on at once. (20 Points +5 Points per major thing going on.)
  35. Red vs Blue: Take a picture with a member of BOTH the Red and the Blue TF2 Cosplay Group (50 Points)
  36. The Stars At Night Are Big & Bright: Find an attendee from the state of Texas & have them show you how to "Hook'em Horns" or "Gig'em Aggies". Proof in the way of ID is necessary. (20 Points)
  37. It's All Geek to Me: Begrudgingly shook the hand of an attendee wearing a PVP or CAD t-shirt. (15 Points)
  38. Remove the Head or Destroy the Brain: Played Zombies!!! in one of the Tabletop rooms. (20 Points)
  39. LEGO My Eggo!!: Play a LEGO themed game. (15 Points)

40. Efficiency: Completed at least 5 achievements in one photo. (50 Points)

Strip Recreation -
20090603.jpg

Twitter Shirt -
Nothing makes you look more sophisticated then wearing a T-shirt with a toilet on it.
la5b.jpg
Seriously, you should definitely roll into PAX wearing one of these.
280.png
Order now!

daaeZs9.png
PunkJr
Pirate, Stormtrooper, Decepticon
Yes, my middle name really is MEGATRON
Former Ravenclaw Death Eaters Head of House
PunkJr on

• Options
    MagesMages Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    11. I just want to groom her!: Take a picture with Felica Day (20 Points!)
    12. Wil Wheaton was sooooo better!: Take a picture at the keynote (20 points)

While this may be controversial and completely impossible to do if he doesn't show up again,13. False Marketing: Take a picture with Uwe Boll with a sign that points to him and says "His movies are good!" (100 points).

14. I AM OMEGANAUT!: Take a picture at the Omegathon
    15. Blaaaaargh: Take a picture at the RVB Panel
    16. Triforce: Take a picture of a 3day pass
    17. Don't be a dick!: Take a picture of Wil Wheaton
    18. This guy is a dick: Take a picture of someone bothering Wil Wheaton that's not you.

Mages on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rare Sighting!: Photograph with Robert Khoo

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The last thing that Neil Remembers: Take a picture with Sandeep Parikh (20 points)

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I switch tabs and I get another idea, it's getting annoying!

Mages on
  • Options
    BozkoBozko Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Good Damnit Leeroy: take a picture with the leeroy jenkins cosplayer :3 (20 pts)

Watch My hand: take a picture at a TCG tourney ;3

Bozko on
    R.O.A.C.H. 's Aluminum Chef~
    SUPER VILLAINS UNITE!
    JOIN R.O.A.C.H. Today!
    The Destructive Kitchen
    R.O.A.C.H. Home Page
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Nothing you saw was illegal: Take a picture with a giraffe

Mages on
  • Options
    PunkJrPunkJr Decepticon Infiltrator Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Heh, I have an Omegathon themed achievement coming, as well as one that incorporates PAX friendly celebrities. ;)

I'll post a few more in the morning.

PunkJr on
    daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
  • Options
    ikelewisikelewis Awesome Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mages wrote: »
    11. I just want to groom her!: Take a picture with Felicia Day (20 Points!)

I don't think Felicia Day will be at pax09 I'm pretty sure she will be attending DragonCon instead.

ikelewis on
  • Options
    ShigglesShiggles Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Shiggles on
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have a few to suggest:

1) Wear it with pride! - Picture with someone that has the Forum Member badge on.

2) Who's watching the watchers? - Picture with someone that has a media badge (they are bright yellow).

3) A face behind the avatar - Picture of a fellow forum member.

Note, if you take a pic of me, you get all three of the above in one shot. This gets you the efficiency points automatically too!

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    May I suggest...

How Original: Picture with somebody pointing and yelling "I found Waldo!" with Waldo.

And what's the prize (Since I was 5 pictures away from winning last year...)

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Wow, awesome suggestions everyone!!

Updating the OP now with the prize (or part of it, anyway) and a few more Achievements!

PunkJr on
    daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is that your idea of Humor?: Witness the PAX Prank in action (10 pts, 20 if the target is a celebrity)

:p

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I want to try to give an idea... how about:

Early Bird Catches the Worm - Taking a picture with someone at the head of a very long line. (Bonus if you can get everyone in the line to smile)

I'm definitely going to be wandering around PAX with my digital camera. Watch out Arcadians!

Lokiale on
    East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • Options
    MushroomsMushrooms Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    this sounds like fun!! I don't think I could do it though, I don't know enough people :(

Mushrooms on
    All shalt feel the wrath of the all-mighty POINTY KITTY OF DOOOOOM!!
    purrrrrrrrrrrrr*snuggle*
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    D'awwwwww: Snap a picture of Gabe taking his son somewhere in the convention.

Drink It For Me: Take a picture of you with a Fruit Fucker cosplayer.

Don't Quit Your Dayjob: Take a photo of someone embarrassing themselves at Harmonix' booth.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    AverageToasterAverageToaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Now thats what i call a sticky situation!: Stick yourself to the Seattle gum wall (100 points)

AverageToaster on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    As a guideline, stalking celebrities (this includes Gabe Tycho, et al) without their consent is not a good idea. Khoo actually IM and PMed me last year and asked me to nix a change a couple tasks. I impart this knowledge unto you.

I also request to be a picture task, again, for nostaglia. :P

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Foreign Foes: Take a picture of someone cosplaying as a character from a Webcomic *other than* Penny Arcade.

That's so Last Year: Take a picture of someone who brought their Fallout puppet from PAX '08 with them!

This was a triumph: Take a picture of someone who brought a Companion cube. Bonus points if they're cosplaying *as* the Companion cube.

Nerds about town: Take a picture of a group of at least 5 fellow PAX goers in front of a Seattle tourist spot, such as the Space Needle or the Sci-Fi Museum.

Ass 'sassin: "Kill" someone in Assassins, and force them to take a picture of them handing their KillTag to you in bitter defeat.

Ohhh it's Magic, you knoooow: Take a picture of someone using Magic cards as an article of clothing. (I'm hoping the guy with the Magic body armor will bring it back for another round this coming year =) )

It's obviously a Front: Take a picture of a group of PAX goers in the midst of a live action game of Mafia.

Button Maniac: Take a picture of someone who has the majority of their body covered in buttons.

Oh no you didn't: Take a picture of someone who is abusing their privilege to be at PAX by advertising for a rival convention (so that we know who to slap around when we see them =) ).

Isn't it Ironic?: Take a picture of someone wearing a shirt/article of clothing that is ironic for the situation depicted in the picture taken.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    ElgaladwenElgaladwen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This sounds awesome! I might have to try to get a few of these...
    We need a way to identify fellow forum and fellow scavenger hunt people.

Elgaladwen on
    OddishSmallSprite.gif
    Be the very best. Like no one ever was. http://paxpokemonleague.net
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Shiggles wrote: »
    •R) The Evil League of Evil: Photograph of HotSake, proximity, ClickPicTony, and JonnyNero. (90 Points)[/list]

I don't know whether to consider that suggestion awesome, or if I should be fearful of the ginormous amount of people wanting to take my picture with them oin addition to the Doctor Who Fans.

Oh Wait, that gives me an idea!

Don't Blink: Take a picture of a Doctor Who cosplayer

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just a question - Can you complete pictures more than once and get more points or only once?

cocowoushi on
  • Options
    CadynCadyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    cocowoushi wrote: »
    Just a question - Can you complete pictures more than once and get more points or only once?

That's an interesting idea, but if it were allowed, I'd think there would have to be some demonstration of the challenge being completed under different circumstances, on a different day of the show, etc. That way, abuse could be prevented.

Cadyn on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2009
    I think last year people were completing several goals within a single picture (one of the goals may even have been to complete x number of goals in one picture for bonus points)

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aye, there definitely should be point multipliers for hitting multiple in one shot. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    PunkJr wrote: »
    Find an attendee with a power glove.
    thanks alot jack ass . . . i already have to stop every 5 to 10 minutes so people can admire my hat . . . now i have to pose for powerglove pictures too!?!? . . . CHRIST! :P

seriously though, feel free to stop me for pictures and shit. . i don't mind.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    i'm definitely in again! but no more damn "official" pics of duke nukem forever!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aye, there definitely should be point multipliers for hitting multiple in one shot. =)
    seconded, it worked in pokemon snap!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey, no recursing!: Take a photo of someone taking a photo of something else on the list.

Hey (hey, hey), no recursing! (sing! sing!): Take a photo of someone taking a photo of someone taking a photo of something else on the list.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    Kwisatz HaderachKwisatz Haderach Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well hey, this sounds fun - lessee here...

Nobody's Home: Take a picture with the least amount of people sitting at their computers in the BYOC section (50 points)

Om Nom Nom: Picture of a Heavy cosplayer eating a sandwich (100 points, +20 if they make the face)

Gotta Catch 'Em All: Picture of the most Pokemans in a single image (75 points, can be human or plush or stuffed or whatever)

The Alpha: Picture of yourself at the front of a line, any line (10 points)
    The Omega: Picture of yourself at the back of a line, any line (10 points)
    The Alpha and the Omega: You ARE the line (50 points)

You Can't Shut Down The REAL Napster: Picture of someone asleep in the hallway (5 points)

And of course...

OMFG IT'S OVER 9000!!!!: Fulfill every single obligation in one picture (>9000 points)

Kwisatz Haderach on
    Twitter: @Quintonious (new, infrequently post)
    PSN: Quintonious
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'll see what I can do about making the math work for multipliers.

Also, there are a lot of great ideas so far, but a bunch of them are very similar to stuff we had on the list last year. The '08 Hunt was fantastic, and in an effort to make it just as fun, I'm trying to avoid just re-hashing old achievements.

However, there are a bunch that I'm going to tweak when I get home tonight & post in the morning. :)

Thanks for everyone's enthusiasm so far, and yes EBM... You're totally going to be a target again this year. :D

PunkJr on
    daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
  • Options
    atmoraatmora Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just thought you should know that in on of the goals you spelled scavenger savenger.

atmora on
  • Options
    chokoretonekochokoretoneko Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've got one~

Lucky them: Take a picture of a couple wearing matching shirts. (10 points, +5 points if the shirt is geeky/gaming related)

chokoretoneko on
    "I'MA CHARGIN MAH RAZR!"
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    atmora wrote: »
    Just thought you should know that in on of the goals you spelled scavenger savenger.
    Which is a very different and altogether more interesting idea.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Added the following:

The PWNIE Express
    Who Watches The Watchmen?
    Do Not Trust This Man
    This Was A Triumph
    15 Is The MINIMUM.

PunkJr on
    daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
  • Options
    chokoretonekochokoretoneko Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    can the Efficiency one have extra points per additional achievement?

chokoretoneko on
    "I'MA CHARGIN MAH RAZR!"
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    can the Efficiency one have extra points per additional achievement?

I'm working on a way to get that to work. I'll think of something clever, I'm sure. ;)

PunkJr on
    daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The Sharply Dressed Man: Snap a shot of Khoo in pinstripe suit. (Khoo must not be posing for pic, so as not to disturb his activities)

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    @dufflehead: I think you're missing the point to this

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Do you guys have a link to last year's photo scavenger hunt? It might help to know what ideas have already been used.

There's plenty of people coming in from Texas, I wonder if there's a good challenge in that. As an Austinite I'd be more than happy to help with something like that.

Lokiale on
    East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut