As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box

• Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Alphabet puzzle? The only one I remember really stumping me was the one with the aliens trying to identify the device that puts a hole in paper. Fuck that puzzle right to hell and back.

Anyway, sign me up for some more Layton. Probably a day one, or at least a day after paycheck if nothing else.
    Christ, yes, that's the one. Everyone and their mother was completily riled up on it back when the first game was fresh. Just stupidly obtuse and archaic. :x

Oh god, I had forgotten about the alien puzzle. Fucking hell that puzzle was shitty. I knew what the object was and I couldn't remember the name of it, so I just went with a guess of what I thought I remembered it being and it worked. That isn't fair for little kids who haven't used that device in school yet. They won't know what it is, what it really does, or what it's called.

Gilder on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You people crazy. That puzzle was E-Z.

Now, that bullshit apple slide puzzle, that can go to hell. I think I finally solved it by closing my eyes and just dragging a fuckload times.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bollocks, the answer text is all-but-completily disassociated in modern media and mentality with the kind of tool that they're drawing out in the question.
    It sounds like he's using a Sextent or something like that. When's the last time anyone generally referred to a compass in its form as a device that isn't a magnetically-directed needle on a spindle inside of a small case? And the wording itself is just so fucking vague: "How strange. The Earthling is opening a hole in a sheet of paper and marking it with a line to show the other Earthlings where the hole is. I've never seen anything like it!"

At the least we could have gotten a diagram instead of just the two dudes chatting it up.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bollocks, the answer text is all-but-completily disassociated in modern media and mentality with the kind of tool that they're drawing out in the question.
    It sounds like he's using a Sextent or something like that. When's the last time anyone generally referred to a compass in its form as a device that isn't a magnetically-directed needle on a spindle inside of a small case? And the wording itself is just so fucking vague: "How strange. The Earthling is opening a hole in a sheet of paper and marking it with a line to show the other Earthlings where the hole is. I've never seen anything like it!"

At the least we could have gotten a diagram instead of just the two dudes chatting it up.

Right. A circle is not a line. They could've mentioned twisting, or the fact that the hole and line were being done simultaneously.

Still I can't imagine another word for that device. In my mind it's fairly mundane, you use it in school and see it in pirate/treasure hunt movies.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Alphabet puzzle? The only one I remember really stumping me was the one with the aliens trying to identify the device that puts a hole in paper. Fuck that puzzle right to hell and back.

Anyway, sign me up for some more Layton. Probably a day one, or at least a day after paycheck if nothing else.
    Christ, yes, that's the one. Everyone and their mother was completily riled up on it back when the first game was fresh. Just stupidly obtuse and archaic. :x

Oh god, I had forgotten about the alien puzzle. Fucking hell that puzzle was shitty. I knew what the object was and I couldn't remember the name of it, so I just went with a guess of what I thought I remembered it being and it worked. That isn't fair for little kids who haven't used that device in school yet. They won't know what it is, what it really does, or what it's called.

I don't think the game is aimed at little kids. I'd say it's way too fucking hard for anyone younger than their mid to late teens.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    well the guy whos responsible for them said he remembered these puzzles from the time he was a kid from some magazine so... maybe japanese kids are different ;)

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    He's also a college professor with like a Masters in Logic, so he's also got something of an unfair advantage over the average joe.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I quite liked the 'hole and line' riddle. Yes, it was a little out of place being a riddle rather than a logic puzzle but I managed to get it in the end and felt pretty good when I did. I guess the issue is that it requires a spark of inspiration and that otherwise there's no way to work it out.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wait...

Wait wait wait...

Doesn't this come out Monday?

It does, right?

Earlier, this thread said it comes out Monday...Wikipedia says the same...

WHY AREN'T WE TALKING ABOUT THIS, GUYS?

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I went to gamestop yesterday and he told me I could pick it up Wednesday, but they were only getting like 4 copies. So I pre-ordered that shit then and there.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh man, I want this sooooo hard.

My mum is going to be doing a painting from this game too.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Gamestop is charging $5 more for this game for no reason just so everyone knows. I'm debating picking this up at wal-mart now. Either way though, I will be picking this up to the extreme. I have been waiting so long for this.

Also it should be in monday Raiden333. I'd try another store if I were you. Nintendo loves having their stuff arrive sunday so they can sell it on monday.

Gilder on
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I went to gamestop yesterday and he told me I could pick it up Wednesday, but they were only getting like 4 copies. So I pre-ordered that shit then and there.

Odd, our local GameCrazy actually had a table-top display out, so I figured it was big enough to not worry about pre-ordering. May have to ask about it next time I'm up there.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The hardest part about this game is going to be saving most of the puzzles for when I'm waiting in lines at PAX.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    man i loved the original when it came out and now im gonna love this one when it comes out!

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Congratulations, you're part of the problem. I'll waltz right into Toys R Us and find it easily without stooping to the BS pre-order song-and-dance. TRU is doing a Buy 1, Get 1 Half Off on Wii and DS games, too.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well! I hope to waltz into the local Exchange and pick it up this week. Hopefully my discovery of this store while in a drunken stupor was not a hallucination!

Arminas on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Do I import or wait a month?
    Decisions.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Decisions.

I'm in the same boat. I think its safe to say it will be massively popular in the UK, given the original is still in the top 10 each week. So if you were thinking of holding back to support the local release then I wouldn't bother.

I think if Grainer Games get the US version in before the official release I'll get it.

Cullen on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm getting this game as soon as I can find it, which will likely be Wednesday. Can't wait. My DS hasn't gotten enough love lately.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cullen wrote: »
    Decisions.

I'm in the same boat. I think its safe to say it will be massively popular in the UK, given the original is still in the top 10 each week. So if you were thinking of holding back to support the local release then I wouldn't bother.

I think if Grainer Games get the US version in before the official release I'll get it.

They seem to have got a lot less good on US imports lately, though.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh shit, this is out this week? In the U.S., Toys R Us this week has a Buy 1, get 1 50 percent off on all Wii and DS games. So if you're buying Layton, you can pick up another DS game at half off. I don't know if you can mix and match Wii and DS games, but it might be possible.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    Oh shit, this is out this week? In the U.S., Toys R Us this week has a Buy 1, get 1 50 percent off on all Wii and DS games. So if you're buying Layton, you can pick up another DS game at half off. I don't know if you can mix and match Wii and DS games, but it might be possible.

Which would be convenient for anyone also picking up Metroid Prime Trilogy...

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Which would be convenient for anyone also picking up Metroid Prime Trilogy...

CAG is reporting the deal does work with Wii and DS games on Toys R Us's website, but it hasn't been confirmed in-store yet. The only other sucky part is that the TRU by me has a completely abysmal DS selection; they'll have Layton, assured, but I don't know if they'll have anything else worth buying.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Decisions.

I say you should import because the European version of the first game gave Luke a terrible voice. Just terrible.

Actually, would the code for unlocking the vault in the first game work between the US and European version? If it doesn't then that would probably be the biggest deciding factor.

Gilder on
  • Options
    sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The only other sucky part is that the TRU by me has a completely abysmal DS selection; they'll have Layton, assured, but I don't know if they'll have anything else worth buying.

I was hoping to use this deal with Devil Survivor, but I was in there yesterday, and it didn't look like they carried it.

sir_pinch-a-loaf on
  • Options
    s_86s_86 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    -

s_86 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Vegan wrote: »

Congratulations, you're part of the problem. I'll waltz right into Toys R Us and find it easily without stooping to the BS pre-order song-and-dance. TRU is doing a Buy 1, Get 1 Half Off on Wii and DS games, too.

Hey, fuck you. When you buy my games for me you can tell me where to buy them. I don't drive and the nearest non-gamestop game store would require me to make a separate bus trip.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Great, the last Prof. Layton game ate away at my mind and my life. Now this one is coming out while I am in the middle of Shadow Complex. This may have to wait, but I will definitely have to buy it right off the bat. The makers deserve all of my monies and the more Layton games that come out, the better.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    s_86 wrote: »
    Here is a sample puzzle from Diabolical Box to get your taste buds tingling!!
    The puzzle reads:
    "Train stations are an especially good place for dramatic farewells, aren't they?
    Below is a picture of a man and woman bidding each other a tearful good-bye. Somewhere within this picture is a single unrealistic detail."
    dsc00197x.jpg
    It's pretty blurry yes, but I will admit it was pretty darn blurry on the DS too. The blurryness shouldn't affect being able to solve it though!
    Answer:
    The man is holding up a window that can't possibly have enough room to slide up without going through the roof!

That's awful. What a stupid puzzle.
    Maybe it's on runners that take it along a diagonal path like a garage door. Maybe his window is split in half unlike the one next to it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    -

s_86 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    My enormous bucket of pickarats says I'm not.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm currently playing the first one, about 45 puzzles in. I'm not doing too bad so far, maybe my brain hasn't atrophied after college as much as I thought. I've only had to resort to gamefaqs once though... that goddamn slidling tile puzzle of the apple. Never could do those things.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    -

s_86 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    s_86 wrote: »
    My enormous bucket of pickarats says I'm not.

A gentleman always stays modest... expecially in the presence of a lady.

That was being modest. And your title says you're a guy. Even if you are a woman, a true lady would never pretend to be a man in such a way.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    -

s_86 on
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This game makes me nerd-happy in a way I can't describe.

I feel so stupidly accomplished when I can figure out a logic puzzle in under ten seconds, and the hour-long head scratchers are just as rewarding.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    gentlemanlydiscussionby.jpg
    "Gentlemanly Discussion" by Setzeri, found on tinycartridge.net

Lunker on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Probably one of my favourite of my Mum's paintings:

proflaytonfinishedta2qd4.jpg

Quote please?

LewieP on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    Probably one of my favourite of my Mum's paintings:

proflaytonfinishedta2qd.jpg

Quote please?

Done, sir.

*Edit* Though I'm having trouble loading it.
    *Edit2* Updated with Link the Second.

Houn on