As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[New FF7 engine] New thread for the new forums.

halkunhalkun Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
The new frorums won't allow me to change the title, so it's a little difficult to make updates. Because so much has advanced, I decided update the thread from the beginning with new screenshots, and new troops to command...

For those of you not in the know, for the last 7 years and some change, I've been reverse engineering Final Fantasy 7 with a small band of international cohorts. Very recently, we have decided to re-create the FF7 engine for newer computers. This goal is almost the same as ScummVM, which is an engine to play old SCUMM games on new platforms.

Progress has been going well. I'll present a small FAQ of common questions and then go on to the new screenshots and technologies we have found...

What is this Q-gears thing you keep posting about?
Q-gears is an attempt to make a clone of Squaresoft's Final Fantasy 7 game engine. It is designed to be cross-platform and run on modern operating systems such as Win32 and Linux. In the future this is to serve as a framework for compatibility with other Square games. Many games after this were created with the same same code base and design philosophy. Written in C++, it uses cross-platform graphics libraries (SDL and OpenGL) along with GCC, a cross platform C/C++ compiler. It is named after "Gears" which is a wholly inaccurate and incredibly incomplete reference for the original FF7 engine. The "Q" means nothing, other than it's a cool letter to differentiate between the document and the program.

Hey, isn't this illegal? I mean, this sounds kind of like Chrono Trigger Resurrection, and that was shut down by Square.
No, because at the core of it all, Q-gears is just a virtual machine that does nothing without external game data, which is not included. The creation of virtual machines to play games is nothing new. Others exist, such as ScummVM, FreeSCI, Sarien, and Fortz. Making an implementation isn't illegal or else Linux (an implementation of UNIX) wouldn't be around right now.

Are you sure you can talk about this here?
The mods have been generous and have given permission, (though it was tenuous for a bit).

When can I get more information?
Q-gears has a homepage now. It's http://q-gears.sourceforge.net
Stop by the forums if you want to say "Hi"

New screenshots...

The old thread shows so pretty bad shots with not-so good layering being shown. The big thing is that we actually have 3D avatars walking on the field background now.

q-gears.0.11b_6.jpg
I would first like to thank Squagesoft for leaving in the debug rooms. Those rooms have proven to be so incredably valueable to the development of Q-gears. It actually gives us access to play with the kernel functions, and to test the original engine. From this we can then re-implement the kernel on our new engine. The screen shot above a slightly modded debug room running on our engine. You can talk the the entities and "start" the game.
Do you want to know how far you can get in Q-gears? The following below is a screen of that...
q-gears.0.11b_7.jpg
You can get all the way to the bottom of the first reactor. We have only implemented enough of the fieldscript system to get cloud down there, but the game is still far from playable. The blue-green box is the entity rootpoint, and the red/white lines are the walkmesh the enttiy can walk on. the white box will be the actual screen boundry. As I have said before, for now, we are not going to be running the game in resolutions that it wasn't originally designed in. This means it will be running in 320x240x16 until we get it stable.
Also, we have broken the movie format. The screenshot below is a tool that one of my programmers have to work on it.

Linked for H-Scroll

This the moive, frame-by-frame. The .bs files contain the extracted camera data that was imbedded in the moive.

All in all, much progress has been made.

Any comments?

halkun on

• EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Halkun, aren't you Sony's Eleven Million Dollar Man?

I will always love you for that.

I'm one of those guys who think that FFVII wasn't that great of a game (I know, I know), but I think what you guys are doing is awesome.

Einhander on
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Einhander wrote: »

I'm one of those guys who think that FFVII wasn't that great of a game (I know, I know), but I think what you guys are doing is awesome.

All I said was I didn't want to talk to Sony's lawyers. They didn't have to go and buy the company you know.... ^_^

halkun on
    edited February 2007
    I'm going to do a social no-no and bump the thread.

I enjoy the comments about how the progress of this program. Are the updates to ho-hum? Do they strike a chord? Is this thread to be pushed off to a bocklogged wasteland?

halkun on
  • TheBosZTheBosZ Wut? Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I for one love to read up on your progress. This project is very interesting and I look forward to each new thing.

I know doing this is pretty hard and I'm pulling for you and your team.

With that said, I love the updates, especially on something that is shown in a screenshot.

Keep it up!

TheBosZ on
    3DS Friend Code - 4468-1117-6397
    Let me know if you add me, and I'll add you back. (I'm also on the Roster)
    edited March 2007
    New update and new screenshots guys....

We have movies and the beginnings of sound YAY! Also we have a real properly sized viewport!

q-gears.0.11b_9.jpg

Movie Overlays!
    q-gears.0.11b_14.jpg

This screen below is just a test shot of a movie and the polygon overlay. (Doesn't the movie look sweet!)
    EDIT: Spoiler'ed for etiquette's sake. It's a 10 year old program people.... LET IT GO!!!!! (^_^)
    q-gears.0.11b_13.jpg

halkun on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This is very cool, but I've only come across the PC version of FFVII once in my lifetime. I'd be all over this if I had it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited March 2007
    This is very cool, but I've only come across the PC version of FFVII once in my lifetime. I'd be all over this if I had it.

This actually uses the PSX discs for data...

halkun on
  • icebergiceberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't know if this would be possible or not, or perhaps push the project into the subject of legality, but could it be possible to replace the 3D models? I know it'd be extra work, but it would make it so much cooler in the end. You would still need the discs and whatnot for everything else, just swap the models out for something at least a tad newer?

iceberg on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    halkun wrote: »

Damn! I actually have the PC version.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Woah really? Sick. Now if I could find them...

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hey, whats happening to aeries in that shot? Did something happen to her?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited March 2007

Damn! I actually have the PC version.

PC supprt will come later. We are using the PSX data first because there are a crapton more copies that exist in the wild. In the end the engine will take three different formats. PSX, PC, and user-created XML. The user XML data, however, isn't compatible with the actual FF7 game. You have to make your own game if you want to add your own content.

halkun on
  • IllyriaIllyria __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007

All I said was I didn't want to talk to Sony's lawyers. They didn't have to go and buy the company you know.... ^_^
    I didn't follow the backstory, but what happened with you and Sony then? (hope you don't mind me asking, just curious)

Illyria on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] alley.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Illyria wrote: »

I didn't follow the backstory, but what happened with you and Sony then? (hope you don't mind me asking, just curious)

I was involved with the Sony v. Connectix lawsuit. Sony was claiming that PSX emulators were illigeal because they used Sony's trade secrets. A few years previous, I wrote a document that documented about 75% of the PSX's internals without signing a NDA with Sony. I was going to be a rebuttal witness saying that Sony's claim of Trade Secrets were bunk because the information was available online.

Near the end of discovery, I was approached by Sony's lawyers for an interview. I lied and told them I had a lawyer, and that I wasn't supposed to talk to them.

The very next day, Sony bought the Gamestation Division of Connectix to kill the lawsuit.

What made it so vindicating was the reason why I wrote my document two years previous...

I was pissed at Sony for killing Bleem.

Now that same document cost them $11 million dollars (^_^)

halkun on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    agoaj wrote: »
    Aeries lives in Advent Children

JAEF on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    JAEF wrote: »
    That depends on your definition of 'alive'.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm interested, like the rest of these guys. I think more indepth updates, going into details of problems you had to face and how you got around them, and that stuff, would be really interesting.

Kind of get us involved in the development process?

Centipeed on
  • NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't know if it's typical around the states, but one of my local used games shops is selling copies of FFVII for $65. (They're even the greatest hits versions, ffs!) I went into that same mall not two years ago and bought a copy new for $20.

Is this game becoming rare, despite the fact that nearly everyone has a copy or two lying around?

NofrikinfuN on
  • mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    shim shally dilly dally!

Did anyone actually understand wtf was going on in that movie?

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    shim shally dilly dally!

Did anyone actually understand wtf was going on in that movie?
    there was some fighting

Zek on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Err, 'Aeries' (depending on your spelling) is the God of War. Aeris is a flower girl.

Magus` on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    Err, 'Aeries' (depending on your spelling) is the God of War. Aeris is a flower girl.

Ares.

Fencingsax on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    OMG IT'S AERITH YOU FAGG0T

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No guys, that's the secret that no one understood from FFVII. Aeris IS the god of war!

Centipeed on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    They shared the same fate.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't know if it's typical around the states, but one of my local used games shops is selling copies of FFVII for $65. (They're even the greatest hits versions, ffs!) I went into that same mall not two years ago and bought a copy new for $20.

Is this game becoming rare, despite the fact that nearly everyone has a copy or two lying around?

Yes. eBay prices have gone through the Goddamn roof. Also, it's now a big scam item. I tried buying a copy and got ripped off for about $40.

By the way, thanks, Paypal, for charging a $25 "processing fee" on my $38 fraud claim. Fucking wonderful. It's great to have $40 practically stolen from my pocket and then get $12 back.

Daedalus on
  • We_Be_1337We_Be_1337 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    Err, 'Aeres' (depending on your spelling) is the God of War. Aeris is a flower girl.

Where have you been? Kratos is the God of War now. ;)

Oh and
    Both the 'old' god of war Ares, and the flower girl (for sake of people not biting my head off over spelling) both died by swords, interesting, no?

We_Be_1337 on
    Sunset.jpg
  • JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Illyria wrote: »

I was involved with the Sony v. Connectix lawsuit. Sony was claiming that PSX emulators were illigeal because they used Sony's trade secrets. A few years previous, I wrote a document that documented about 75% of the PSX's internals without signing a NDA with Sony. I was going to be a rebuttal witness saying that Sony's claim of Trade Secrets were bunk because the information was available online.

Near the end of discovery, I was approached by Sony's lawyers for an interview. I lied and told them I had a lawyer, and that I wasn't supposed to talk to them.

The very next day, Sony bought the Gamestation Division of Connectix to kill the lawsuit.

What made it so vindicating was the reason why I wrote my document two years previous...

I was pissed at Sony for killing Bleem.

Now that same document cost them $11 million dollars (^_^)

Bleem was so cool. It's how I got my PS fix back in the day. Good job!

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Yes. eBay prices have gone through the Goddamn roof. Also, it's now a big scam item. I tried buying a copy and got ripped off for about $40.

By the way, thanks, Paypal, for charging a $25 "processing fee" on my $38 fraud claim. Fucking wonderful. It's great to have $40 practically stolen from my pocket and then get $12 back.

Wow, I'm glad I was on a collecting binge at the time. I picked up FFVII, VIII and IX at the same time. (I also found a copy of Tactics for $10.) Too bad I never got around to the anthologies. Maybe I'll just pick up IV, V and VI on the GBA instead... Then I'll be covered up to X, which I believe is where my Final Fantasy collection will end. (Unless the new Crystal Chronicles stuff delivers...)

Final Fantasy contains a wealth of my favorite gaming memories, but the more recent entries make me feel like I'm trying to bludgeon fun out of them.

Back on topic, I think this project looks cool. Is there some kind of issue with the models showing up in cinemas, though?

NofrikinfuN on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Centipeed wrote: »
    No guys, that's the secret that no one understood from FFVII. Aeris IS the god of war!

Cursed to live as a flower girl...

Yeah, that sounds like something Zeus would do. He is kind of a dick.

HappylilElf on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think I could dig up my PSX discs somewhere or other, but I wonder if I even still have 'em (I haven't turned my playstation on in a very long time). However, if the models were replaced (Ala JDoom), I would totally tear my place apart to find them.

Nova_C on
  • Warder45Warder45 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I think I could dig up my PSX discs somewhere or other, but I wonder if I even still have 'em (I haven't turned my playstation on in a very long time). However, if the models were replaced (Ala JDoom), I would totally tear my place apart to find them.

There is already a mod that replaces the models in the PC FFVII with models similar in style to FFVIII. Perhaps that will be compatible.

Warder45 on
    edited March 2007
    More screenshots! ^_^

Here is the debug room, slightly re-coded to for our deveopment purposes...
    q-gears.0.12_1.jpg

Below is another movie overlay showing the camera pans with the movie. As you can see, brown was the "new real" a long time ago...
    q-gears.0.12_2.jpg

The picture below shows off the entity collision ranges. You will notice there are two. One is the actual bounding area of the model, and the other, larger one, is a bounding area that you can set with the internal scripting language.
    q-gears.0.12_3.jpg

The final picture is showing the bounding area and the walkmesh that the charater and items are placed on. Here you can see the outer bound is expanded and "runs along" the edge of the walkmesh to keep Cloud from walking where he isn't supposed to.
    q-gears.0.12_4.jpg

You guys have any technical questions for me? I can answer them for you.

halkun on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    First. I love you for doing this. I have wanted FF7 on my PC for sometime now.

Second. You kicked sony in the balls.

Third. Buy me car.

All in all, I approve of everything you do in life.

projectmayhem on
    edited March 2007
    History of Q-Gears in screenshots....

http://omake.ru/bakari/q-gears/index.htm

You can see how the program is slowly forming....

halkun on
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Halkun: I can't find anything on Google, but surely there have been FFVII single-disc modifications in the past right? Like, with stipping out FMV and such...

CZroe on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Why is Yuffie's face in a lot of those model tests? :lol:

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    q-gears.0.13_4.jpg

My god, it's full of Clouds.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    I like seeing these threads, halkun.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    They certainly are a change of pace. You know, actual content and all that.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる