As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The First Annual Post-PAX Party Dinner. THANK YOU ALL FOR AN AMAZING PARTY!

• Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    . . . i . . . don't suppose that a January 2000 collectors edition playboy magazine would be appropriate for the raffle . . . i have an extra one of those too.

Who's on the cover?

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    no one is on the cover
    playboy%20january%202000.jpg

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Who's the centerfold?

If there's no centerfold, we're going to have words.

Arco on
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    twins Darlene and carol Bernaola

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Twins? Put it in the raffle.

Arco on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Arco wrote: »
    I don't claim to have an intimate knowledge of raffles or anything, but I figured I'd give each person a ticket along with their bracelet. The raffle tickets are double-sided with matching numbers (example), so I'll have a matching ticket for all the tickets I give out.

Then I'll mix them up, put them in a hat or something, and pull one out for each prize.

Right?

I've got two suggestions, let me know what you think. We do a hat/box for each item so people can choose what to go for ahead of time. Also we give a few tickets to each person. It also lets someone try a little extra if there is something they really have their eye on, such as the twins. And if we don't want 1 person winning multiple items we say that if you win more than 1 item you pick one to keep and we choose another ticket for the rest.

It's different than a traditional raffle, but just how I was thinking about it.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Cronus wrote: »
    I don't claim to have an intimate knowledge of raffles or anything, but I figured I'd give each person a ticket along with their bracelet. The raffle tickets are double-sided with matching numbers (example), so I'll have a matching ticket for all the tickets I give out.

Then I'll mix them up, put them in a hat or something, and pull one out for each prize.

Right?

I've got two suggestions, let me know what you think. We do a hat/box for each item so people can choose what to go for ahead of time. Also we give a few tickets to each person. It also lets someone try a little extra if there is something they really have their eye on, such as the twins. And if we don't want 1 person winning multiple items we say that if you win more than 1 item you pick one to keep and we choose another ticket for the rest.

It's different than a traditional raffle, but just how I was thinking about it.

I'm going to rain all over your parade. Sorry in advance.

I think the first thing would be a little problematic. First of all, keeping the entire thing organized would be hard. I'd have to actually match up the "prize ticket" to the "winner ticket" so that I only put the people who wanted to try and win an item into that specific drawing. That sounds like a headache. I think that would also inject competitiveness into the raffle, which isn't the point. The point is to win free stuff just for showing up; people shouldn't have to strategize, like "I'm going to throw all my tickets at that awesome prize at the end." I don't really want people to have to think about it.

I plan on just putting all the tickets into a hat or bowl or whatever, mixing them up, and drawing tickets for however many prizes we have. That won't take long. In fact, I plan on kind of blowing through it because there are more awesome things to do. If we did what you're suggesting, the raffle would probably end up being an hour long because I would have to have people come up and go through a process every time we did a prize. Remember, we have 100 people. I'm not keen on the idea of trying to get 100 people to do anything on demand; especially on a microphone talking over conversations and video games. Prizes are awesome and the raffle is going to be awesome, but most of these prizes are things that people are going to be putting in their suitcases to enjoy later. So my philosophy is: do the raffle quickly, give out the awesome prizes, and then get back to the party.

To that end, I'm not exactly sure when the raffle is happening. I don't want to do it at the beginning, because that would screw over anybody who doesn't get there right at the start. On the same token if I do it all the way at the end, I might screw people who left early. Most parties do it at the end to encourage people to stay. That's not a bad idea, but I don't necessarily know if I want to coerce people into staying for prizes. I might do it at the end, or I might do it in the middle.

As far as the second thing goes... it doesn't matter. If there are 10 prizes and 100 people, everybody has the exact same shot at a prize whether they have 1 ticket each or 5. If we did your first suggestion this would matter, but I don't think we are. Everybody will get one raffle ticket, and everybody will have the same odds of winning a prize (x/100, x being the number of prizes).

I understand where you're coming from trying to spice up the raffle, but I don't think it's really necessary. But you're awesome for trying. :mrgreen:

Arco on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have GIS'd these twins.

I hope I do not win that prize.

Rius on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ... do I want to know what those initials stand for?

I tried looking it up, but I don't think you meant "Graphic Information System" =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Google Image Search =P

Rius on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    here . .i'll include an image from google for easy reference

10080.jpg

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The one on the left:

raptors.jpg

Arco on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Arco, awesome job with getting all this organized, and hooray for hitting 100 people. But do you think you can find out if the Grilled Beef Tenderloin option can be served, at least some of the trays of it, without blue cheese and horseradish. Or if they can put that on the side?

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also, have we heard what kind of hookups the projectors use yet?

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Just sent an e-mail regarding eelektrik and raiden's questions.

Arco on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The one on the left:

raptors.jpg

ROFL! Yikes, it's true! =)

Also, I'm relieved to know that GIS doesn't mean anything terrible =);)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also, I'm relieved to know that GIS doesn't mean anything terrible =);)

Oh, it can. It can mean things horrible and unspeakable, depending upon the search criteria.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Updates:

1) Lindsay asked me about the menu and there are clear cut winners in both of the current polls, so I gave it to her. Menu is finalized. We will be dining on the following:

Grilled Beef Tenderloin with Blue Cheese and Horseradish on Baguette (note: I asked Lindsay about having the blue cheese/horseradish on the side, and she said it was no problem).
    Caribbean Jerk Chicken Tenders
    Vegetable Gyoza
    Hummus with Pita, olives, and Roquefort Tomatoes Platter
    Assorted Cheeses & Crackers Platter
    Assorted Sushi and Nigiri Platter
    Coffee, Tea, Soda, Water

Lindsay did say I could make changes if I had to, so if there is a serious, major problem with this, let me know. If for some reason the polls do a complete 180 in the next 72 hours or so, I would e-mail Lindsay. But I don't expect that either of these scenarios is likely, based on people's reactions to the menu thus far.

2) I've withdrawn the funds from the PayPal account and in 3-5 business days, I will pay the Taphouse. We will be settled in full with the Taphouse before the party even starts, and barring any disasters, nobody (including me!) is liable for any additional charges. This is a huge load off my mind and an excellent, excellent way to begin the party. Thank you all for contributing and making this a reality.

3) I put (yet) another poll up, this time for video games. How interested are you guys in the retro consoles? I know it sounds cool and TNTrooper is an awesome human being for offering them up, but I don't know if it's worth taking up one of the two screens. So would you guys rather see one projector for retro and one for HD, or both for HD with one being Wii and the other being 360? Go vote please, so I know what to do.

Arco on
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is/can the hummus be on the side too? I fucking hate hummus.

parabola on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm almost positive it's on the side, it sounds like a dipping platter to me. That's how it's almost always served.

How can you hate hummus? It's so delicious.

Arco on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    No... It's not. At all.

parabola on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    You and I are going to have words, sir.

Arco on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh god, the hummus platter made a comeback? That's amazing.

That menu is godly, I love it. I will feast upon appetizers! And hummus!

Om nom nom nom...

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Parabola: the hummus platter is a big bowl of hummus surrounded by tomatoes, olives, and tons of toasted pita bread. You're in the clear.

Also, Lindsay offered to take a picture of the hummus platter because there's an event tonight where it's being served. I asked her if it would be possible for her to take some pictures of the Billiards Lounge for us, also, just to give us an idea of the space.

Arco on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Parabola: the hummus platter is a big bowl of hummus surrounded by tomatoes, olives, and tons of toasted pita bread. You're in the clear.

That's good. It's very surprising and a bit disappointing to see that it made it in the top 3. It does suck that the menu is moving away from all my favorites every time you post an update Arco but it's good to hear that we'll get the horseradish on the side. I didn't think horseradish had such a large percentage following. Good for that less respected condiment.

Also did you put a new poll up Arco? I don't see anything in the OP.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    A new poll regarding what?

Arco on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A new poll regarding what?
    3) I put (yet) another poll up, this time for video games. How interested are you guys in the retro consoles? I know it sounds cool and TNTrooper is an awesome human being for offering them up, but I don't know if it's worth taking up one of the two screens. So would you guys rather see one projector for retro and one for HD, or both for HD with one being Wii and the other being 360? Go vote please, so I know what to do.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Oh, dur. I forgot to link it.

http://postpaxdinner.wordpress.com

Arco on
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Updates:

1) Lindsay asked me about the menu and there are clear cut winners in both of the current polls, so I gave it to her. Menu is finalized. We will be dining on the following:

Grilled Beef Tenderloin with Blue Cheese and Horseradish on Baguette (note: I asked Lindsay about having the blue cheese/horseradish on the side, and she said it was no problem).
    Vegetable Gyoza
    Coffee, Tea, Soda, Water

I find the lack of beer in this list disturbing. . .

o_O

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The beer is not a buffet item?

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Alcohol is separate from the buffet.

Arco on
  • Options
    MoreGreaseMoreGrease Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Everyone is getting:

1) Admission to the party.
    2) Use of everything that's in the room - pool table(s), projectors with our consoles attached, etc.
    3) The all-you-can-eat appetizer buffet, which includes 3 appetizers, 3 platters, coffee, tea, soda, water, etc.
    4) ... for 3 hours.

Alcoholic and/or special drinks are pay-as-you-go for the entire night, as is anything else that isn't on the buffet.

If we want to stay past 3 hours, we need to spend about $300/hr on extra food/drink.

Having to pay for your own alcohol is not a new development. But hey, the buffet menu is looking awesome, even without unlimited booze.

MoreGrease on
    Steam and PSN: FreelancePolice
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    That's only $3 per person, per hour.. We can do this people.

parabola on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    SNES. I find that the SNES is played so much more for local multiplayer at my place than any new console. I think a lot of fun would be had with the older ones. They do have the problem of only 2 players, but I guess you have to trade off the same amount for each.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

If you were responding to me as well, I don't think the sarcasm nearly came off as much as it would have in person looking back at it. :lol: Shoulda used more ?!?

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Infidel wrote: »

If you were responding to me as well, I don't think the sarcasm nearly came off as much as it would have in person looking back at it. :lol: Shoulda used more ?!?

I got a little bit of that, but not enough to convince me that you were being sarcastic. I figured it was about 50/50. Internet sarcasm can be tricky.

Arco on
  • Options
    QapfQapf Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    $3 per person per hour? I Think I can do that per 20 minutes or so.

I like mixed drinks.

Qapf on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Qapf wrote: »
    $3 per person per hour? I Think I can do that per 20 minutes or so.

I like mixed drinks.

I like the cut of your jib sir. I shall see you at the bar.

Of course this being the last day of PAX I don't know if I'll be able to stand up, let alone drink a lot.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Updates:

Vegetable Gyoza
    Coffee, Tea, Soda, Water

Fucking sweet. I am totally going to take cheese from the cheese and cracker platter and toss it on a baguette with some grilled beef tenderloin. Shit will be awesome.

Also, I have never had Jerk Chicken, but have heard good things regarding it. Hopefully it lives up to its reputation.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Jerk is good. It's a very, very flavorful way to season stuff.

Arco on
This discussion has been closed.