As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Game catch-up!

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Crysis is good, and I have played it. There's other shooters I enjoyed more, however.

Crysis does get shit from people who haven't played it or played it for 5 minutes, however. It is actually very open ended, gameplay wise.

Gears of War....is basically a tech demo. The gameplay is fun, but there are so few big gunfights. Most of the game is tiny fights against few or single enemies and codec conversations. I swear, there's nearly as bad a talking vs. playing ratio as a metal gear game.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    But I mean, if you were to get one version of Gears...might as well be the PC version. That's all.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Crysis is good, and I have played it. There's other shooters I enjoyed more, however.

Crysis does get shit from people who haven't played it or played it for 5 minutes, however. It is actually very open ended, gameplay wise.

Gears of War....is basically a tech demo. The gameplay is fun, but there are so few big gunfights. Most of the game is tiny fights against few or single enemies and codec conversations. I swear, there's nearly as bad a talking vs. playing ratio as a metal gear game.

Gears a tech demo? o_O One of the best selling PC games of all time...a tech demo? Were you playing the same game as i was? Cuz that sounds absolutely nothing like Gears. Also the PC version is definately the best one.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd like to suggest Mirror's Edge too. I haven't played anything else like it on PC, It's beautiful and it's cheap. I keep hearing people talk about how frustrating it is, but I don't see it. I beat it pretty handily, and enjoyed every second of it.

Also, Sins of a Solar Empire is great fun. A mix of 4X and RTS. Heavy on the RTS side. And it looks beautiful.

Supreme Commander is good fun and very nice graphically as well. Get this especially if you enjoyed Total Annihilation.

Finally, most people around here seem to be pretty meh towards it, but I love UT3. It cuts a lot of the fat out of what's been going on in the last few iterations (such as adrenaline moves), and with the new Titan pack that was released recently-ish it boasts a good amount of content. I've seen many around here lament the absence of the Assault gametype but the Warfare gametype combines aspects of Assault with 2k4's Onslaught mode. I think it's really nice, some great mods seem to be surfacing and of course, it looks beautiful. Cheap too. The Campaign should definitely be approached tongue firmly in cheek though. I wish they had kept the Tournament structure but whatever, the gametypes are still a blast to play through and the dialogue is great unintentional comedy.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Gears a tech demo? o_O One of the best selling PC games of all time...a tech demo? Were you playing the same game as i was? Cuz that sounds absolutely nothing like Gears. Also the PC version is definately the best one.

Its a port of an xbox 360 game, which I own. The one that was the first game to show off the Unreal Engine 3.

Replay it. Notice the large amount of time listening to unskippable codec conversations, in addition to the regular cutscenes. Also, note the number of real fun firefights. You know, where there's a large area and you are fighting legions of locusts. There's maybe one or two per act.

A problem common to many modern games. I, the player, don't want to watch their shitty movie or listen to their horrid story, I want to shoot aliens with a shotgun and carve them up with a chainsaw. There is to much of the former and not enough of the latter.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    hobokenthobokent Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    king's bounty took a lot of my time
    as did left 4 dead

hobokent on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't know, I found it half-way unplayable with KB+M, mostly because of how stupid putting the sprint key with everything else was, but also because of how ridiculously sluggish it controled. But the reason I put it down and stopped playing after a session or two was that it ate my saves after about 3 or 4 hours, and none of the workarounds or DLed saves I could find would work to get me back to the general part of the game I was at.

And yes, seconding hobokent's KB recomendation. It's like HoMM, but with deeper roleplaying elements.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    As to OP: You might consider Far Cry 2 if you're just looking for something pretty. Personally I found it pretty boring after about 30 minutes.

The original FEAR was what everybody and their mom was talking about a few years ago, but I was pretty lukewarm on the whole thing. Playing a bit of FEAR 2, though, has me really excited to try to finish it. It's more scary, graphically more intense, and more action-packed. It seems pretty linear, but it's intense to say the least.

For something off of the beaten path, there's the Penumbra first-person adventure series. Puzzle solving and creepy ambiance.

In the indie circuit you also have Braid, Aquaria, Trine, World of Goo...

But yes, clearly you should buy Orange Box first thing. It's all anyone could talk about for months after the release.

Skexis on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    He already has the OB. It's in his sig.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I would never recommend FEAR. Many people enjoyed it, but I found it a bore.

While Farcry 2 is a fantastic game, do not buy the PC version unless you run an old fashioned CRT monitor. Get it for xbox. Getting it to run with a modern monitor is a nightmare. It really is a great game, though, if you like cruising and chilling. Kind of like Fallout 3, except you get a car.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    He already has the OB. It's in his sig.

Yes, well...

I was just making doubly sure.

Skexis on
  • Options
    StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    RTS - Company of Heroes
    Horror - Dead Space
    City-building RTS - Anno 1404
    RPG - The Witcher
    Racing - DiRT, Race Driver - GRiD
    Sandbox - Fallout 3, GTAIV
    FPS - Most of them kind of suck, just stick with TF2. If you really want to test your new rig though get FarCry 2, the game-play is mediocre but it has really impressive graphics (better than Crysis).

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I agree with everyone who has recommended Mirror's Edge.

Burnout Paradise is something I'd recommend if you like racing games at all.
    Devil May Cry 4 is a great action game that is filled with crazy cutscenes.
    Street Fighter IV. It's Street Figther. I don't really know what to say.

You might want to get a controller for some of these games. The wired Xbox 360 controller is good.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Streltsy wrote: »
    If you really want to test your new rig though get FarCry 2, the game-play is mediocre but it has really impressive graphics (better than Crysis).

Not even close. Aside from the game-play being very open ended and entertaining, the graphics are certainly not on the same level as Crysis. Though, on the plus side, you can play it with max AA and its a beautiful game.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, the only game I think that looks remotely as good as crysis is probably Mirror's edge, but that's because it has all the bells and whistles, mainly physx, as well as an obscene attention to detail with incredibly high quality textures, which have pre-baked lighting to deal with UE3's lighting shortcomings

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I played both games, FarCry 2 was more impressive.

edit: u mad.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Streltsy wrote: »
    I played both games, FarCry 2 was more impressive.

edit: u mad.

Good for you?
    I like Farcry 2 better than Crysis

Stating that Farcry 2 has better graphics leads me to believe that you played Crysis on something other than high/max settings and Farcry 2 on high/max.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Did someone say Zeno Clash yet?

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Did someone say Zeno Clash yet?

Talking about zeno clash, it's on sale for half off ($7.50) until, well I guess today at D2D. You can just copy the serial to unlock it on your steam account.

http://www.direct2drive.com/7949/product/Buy-Zeno-Clash-Download

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Check out Dark Messiah of Might and Magic if you enjoy having fun at all, though. Its one of those games that reminds you of why you play video games in the first place.

Play through it once and enjoy it. Play through it again but with cheats, giving you powers to turn yourself into a god. Since it's Source, everything is configurable.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    o_O One of the best selling PC games of all time...a tech demo?

Sorry to nitpick, but it's far far from being one of the best selling PC games of all time... but even if it were, sales numbers aren't indicative of quality. A lot of people thought Doom3 was just a tech demo and it sold extremely well, as an example.

I thought Gears of War was an okay-ish game, but I definitely played it after the hype had died down, and honestly I think that while fun and certainly a reasonable recommendation for an action / shooter fan, I don't think it's quite what it was hyped up to be. But that's just one man's opinion.

slash000 on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mount&Blade is the only thing I've been playing for the past several weeks now.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009

While Farcry 2 is a fantastic game, do not buy the PC version unless you run an old fashioned CRT monitor. Get it for xbox. Getting it to run with a modern monitor is a nightmare. It really is a great game, though, if you like cruising and chilling. Kind of like Fallout 3, except you get a car.

Farcry 2 is a nice game and all but the pacing is kind of horrible.

In that you have to travel a lot, and ever human being you meet outside the towns wants to kill you. A 5 minute car ride will probably take 20 minutes because you have to stop and shoot down people at a check-point every minute of actual car-travelling time. It's just a constant grind between the actual missions really.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Honk wrote: »

In that you have to travel a lot, and ever human being you meet outside the towns wants to kill you. A 5 minute car ride will probably take 20 minutes because you have to stop and shoot down people at a check-point every minute of actual car-travelling time. It's just a constant grind between the actual missions really.
    Far Cry 2 was so close to being awesome. All they had to do was ditch the whole "Lol this is a supersecret mission so even our guys will shoot at you have fun!" deal. Make it so you gain loyalty with one of the 2 factions. As you become more loyal they give you bigger/harder but more rewarding missions, and the opposing faction becomes more hostile. Then make it so that you can claim the various checkpoints for your chosen faction, but every now and then said checkpoints come under attack from the enemy and you have to defend/reclaim them.
    And what's all this about Far Cry 2 being a bitch with new monitors? I played it on a 22" LCD and I don't recall any issues.
    Oh and I can't believe I forgot Burnout Paradise. Incredibly fun to play, and the PC port is outstanding.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Cohsae wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »

Far Cry 2 was so close to being awesome. All they had to do was ditch the whole "Lol this is a supersecret mission so even our guys will shoot at you have fun!" deal. Make it so you gain loyalty with one of the 2 factions. As you become more loyal they give you bigger/harder but more rewarding missions, and the opposing faction becomes more hostile. Then make it so that you can claim the various checkpoints for your chosen faction, but every now and then said checkpoints come under attack from the enemy and you have to defend/reclaim them.

This, so much this.

I still admit the game is pretty fun though could've been much better!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    slash000 wrote: »

Sorry to nitpick, but it's far far from being one of the best selling PC games of all time... but even if it were, sales numbers aren't indicative of quality. A lot of people thought Doom3 was just a tech demo and it sold extremely well, as an example.

I thought Gears of War was an okay-ish game, but I definitely played it after the hype had died down, and honestly I think that while fun and certainly a reasonable recommendation for an action / shooter fan, I don't think it's quite what it was hyped up to be. But that's just one man's opinion.

Well see thats more constructive. And yes it is one of the best selling, its probably in the top 20 at the very least. (I wasn't speaking like, #1 here.) But saying it was a silly tech demo was going a little overboard on the critisism. I mean im not gonna say its the best thing ever, because it isn't, but i enjoyed it when it came out, and it certainly never felt like i was playing a tech demo, not once.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh yeah, another shout out for Dead Space, I don't have a particularly good PC and it looks great on mine. Very well designed game too.

LewieP on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Well see thats more constructive. And yes it is one of the best selling, its probably in the top 20 at the very least. (I wasn't speaking like, #1 here.) But saying it was a silly tech demo was going a little overboard on the critisism. I mean im not gonna say its the best thing ever, because it isn't, but i enjoyed it when it came out, and it certainly never felt like i was playing a tech demo, not once.

I know Wikipedia isn't perfect, but Gears of War isn't listed at all on their List of best-selling PC video games. Are you sure you aren't thinking of the original Xbox 360 version of Gears of War? Their generic List of best-selling video games does say that the 5 million sales of Gears of War may include the PC version, but I don't think we have any way of knowing how large a portion of that is PC.

Peewi on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Supreme Commander and Sins of a Solar Empire are both really good strategy games, though vastly different (if either hasn't been mentioned yet).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mirror's Edge is fucking magnificent and goes for something lik $15 bucks these days, easily worth your time. Play it through on easy first, since that makes combat more forgiving, which is good on your first run, and if you're into it you're likely to play through it again for speed at least once. I know it's already been said but dammit it bears repeating.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Peewi wrote: »

I know Wikipedia isn't perfect, but Gears of War isn't listed at all on their List of best-selling PC video games. Are you sure you aren't thinking of the original Xbox 360 version of Gears of War? Their generic List of best-selling video games does say that the 5 million sales of Gears of War may include the PC version, but I don't think we have any way of knowing how large a portion of that is PC.

I'm pretty certain it sold badly. After it got released and didn't sell, CliffyB pretty much threw a hissy fit over piracy and declared he wants to avoid PC games as much as possible from now on. Gears 2 was never even a remote possibility after how badly number 1 did.

You must be thinking of another game, Gears 1 certainly wasn't one of the best selling PC games of all time.

subedii on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Check out Dark Messiah of Might and Magic if you enjoy having fun at all, though. Its one of those games that reminds you of why you play video games in the first place.

Play through it once and enjoy it. Play through it again but with cheats, giving you powers to turn yourself into a god. Since it's Source, everything is configurable.

i tried the demo on steam, but it didn't really click for me. is it just a bad demo, or what? combat with a sword, while better than oblivion, just felt clunky. i mean, i enjoyed kicking baddies into spikes/off cliffs etc. but while the demo is quite fun in that regard, it doesn't feel right to completely ignore weapon combat in a game that's supposed to have it.

or am i just going about it the wrong way? D:

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    i tried the demo on steam, but it didn't really click for me. is it just a bad demo, or what? combat with a sword, while better than oblivion, just felt clunky. i mean, i enjoyed kicking baddies into spikes/off cliffs etc. but while the demo is quite fun in that regard, it doesn't feel right to completely ignore weapon combat in a game that's supposed to have it.

Everything seems to be in order, maybe you are broken :?

LewieP on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Umm I know you said two to three years, but nonetheless:

FPS - Single Player : Deus Ex, Bioshock, Call of Duty 4, Portal, Half Life 2 etc.
    FPS - Multiplayer : Call of Duty 4 or 5, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2
    RTS : Command & Conquer 3, Red Alert 3, Rise of Nations, and the good ole Blizzard RTS's
    TBS : Galactic Civilizations 2 + expansions, Civilization 4 + expansions (GalCiv2 I think is more awesome than Civ4, but it doesn't have multiplayer), Empire: Total War, Europa Universalis 3
    RPG : Fallout 3, Mass Effect... that's all I've got for recent ones.

theSquid on
  • Options
    VahraanVahraan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wow, thanks for all the stellar replies guys! And sorry I haven't been around to address the questions. Well, I'm throwing together an amd phenom II x4 3.2GHz 955 Black edition, 4 gigs of ddr3 memory and, next week, a 4850 or a 4870 ati card of some description.

I do already have the orange box, but I think that it may bear repeating being as awesome as it is.

Once again, thanks for all the awesome recommendations, I'll have to start looking further into the games listed here and deciding which ones I will buy and get running first.

Vahraan on
    PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain it sold badly. After it got released and didn't sell, CliffyB pretty much threw a hissy fit over piracy and declared he wants to avoid PC games as much as possible from now on. Gears 2 was never even a remote possibility after how badly number 1 did.

You must be thinking of another game, Gears 1 certainly wasn't one of the best selling PC games of all time.

Ah yes, I remember that now. Didn't the creators of Crysis do the same thing, despite selling over 1 million copies of a game with very high system reqs? :lol:

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

What
    the
    fuck
    ?

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mirror's Edge.
    Street Fighter 4
    Mass Effect
    Fallout 3

wavecutter on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    subedii wrote: »

Ah yes, I remember that now. Didn't the creators of Crysis do the same thing, despite selling over 1 million copies of a game with very high system reqs? :lol:

It had extremely high system specs, was a brand new IP, single platform only, AND was releasing during the busiest part of the year when mega heavyweight hitters Call of Duty 4, The Orange Box, Bioshock AND Halo 3 were coming out, whilst being a decidedly more complex to get to grips with shooter than most of those. Despite everything it had going against it, the game still somehow managed to rack up sales of over 1 million units (I'm guessing closer to 1.5 by now), which ranks it near games like Dead Space and Mirror's Edge (both multiplatform titles).

Cervat Yerli then declared that it should have actually sold four to five times that number, which for comparison, would put it into Gears of War territory.

Not to dismiss the effects of piracy, but it's utter crap that developers will ignore EVERY OTHER important point surrounding their release and decry that they should have sold five million units but everyone on the PC is a pirate so we never stood a chance, you all suck etc. etc.

I suppose it didn't help that as soon as the game launched all websites were declaring it had flopped straight away because they were only looking at the NPD numbers.

subedii on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lalabox wrote: »

Maybe if you don't enjoy kicking people into spikes and off of cliffs instead of using your sword, you should stop kicking them into spikes and off of cliffs. And instead, use your sword.

That said, Zeno Clash is probably the only game to do first person melee combat better than Dark Messiah. Everyone should own Zeno Clash.

TychoCelchuuu on