As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gameworks or Axis & Allies on Thursday night???

RedwingedblackbirdRedwingedblackbird Seattle, WARegistered User regular
edited August 2009 in PAX Archive
I know there is a Pre-PAX dinner on the 3rd... But is anyone interested in going to gameworks or getting a game of Axix & Allies going. I have the Original Axis & Allies, Axis & Allies: Pacific, and Axis & Allies: Cold War. Gameworks is 2 blocks from the convention center and Axis and Allies can easily be played in any hotel. Anyone who is interested, message me back, so I know which A & A to bring or we can organize a time for gameworks... You can also reach me on hotmail at enterprise_nx_01@hotmail.com.

PS. I also have Star Fleet Battles and will probably bring that as well, in case anyone want to play that...

Redwingedblackbird on

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2009
    Gameworks is actually across the street from the Convention Center, not two blocks away.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2009
    I thought it was right accross the street, but isn't the entrance around the corner? I figured I'd play it safe and not risk telling people it was closer than it actually is :)

Redwingedblackbird on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2009
    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2009
    nice... I just checked their website and they have an unlimited play special on Thursdays from 9PM to closing... For only $10!!!

Redwingedblackbird on
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thursday night is the normal night when Gameworks is packed with locals, due to the special. And undoubtedly with the PAXers arriving, it'll be far worse this time. But hey, that could be fun :)

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It may be packed... but it could still be fun. You can't beat unlimitted play for $10... If gameworks is a little too packed, Axis & Allies is my other idea. As I said, I've got 3 versions of it. I'm also up for Star Fleet Battles, in the unlikely event anyone else on the planet plays that, lol.

Redwingedblackbird on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The selection at Gameworks is a little underwhelming for me. Lots of rhythm, shooting, and driving games, but only a few pinball games in poor condition (what else is new) and little in the way of other kinds of games.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    OgrebeefOgrebeef Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    One of the reasons I am going to pax is to have at least one awesome game of Axis and Allies. I have the big new version where you can play Italy.

I am so very interested in this.

Ogrebeef on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Arco wrote: »
    The selection at Gameworks is a little underwhelming for me. Lots of rhythm, shooting, and driving games, but only a few pinball games in poor condition (what else is new) and little in the way of other kinds of games.

Drinking + driving games = so fun.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    mavrick88mavrick88 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is it bad I have never heard of Axis and Allies?

mavrick88 on
    I was driving some out-of-towner friends around, and I kept complaining about being blinded. They responded with "You see, where we come from, people tend to wear Sunglasses." I retorted with a simple "You people tend to have sun."
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Drinking + driving games = so fun.

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I haven't played the new one where you can be Italy yet... I'm still hoping to play the East vs West version, where you fight a war between the soviets and the West. Which I have, but haven't played yet...

It's kinda like risk, but far better, and more complicated. You fight WW2 playing as one of the Axis or Allied nations. managing not just armies, navies, and air forces, but economics as well.

Redwingedblackbird on
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

You just listed most of the arcade game genres that come out anymore :) To do well in an arcade, a game generally has to be an experience you can't get at home. Thus we see lots of big sit-down racing games, huge rhythm games, light-gun shooters with large screens, unique guns, and sometimes touchscreens. Not much else comes out. But Gameworks does have other games - they have lots of fighting games (they recently got Street Fighter 4, Tekken 6, and some other one...I think Capcom characters?), some classic early 80's games, skee-ball, and the occasional vertical shooter.

They took down their big 3-story game/ride, though :(

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    OgrebeefOgrebeef Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The new version where you can play Italy is pretty good. Italy is a good country for someone new to play as. They are small, but can seriously help in Africa, and defend Germany while there are out galavanting about.

Ogrebeef on
  • Options
    MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This is also when the pub crawl is, so a decent share of people are going to be doing that. I think atlus parker said at last count is was over 250 people going. If I weren't already spoken for, for that, I'd be in for this though.

MeeOk on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I was looking at the rules for Axis and Allies: East & West... It uses most of the same units from the original game, but had a different map, and has other organizations, that can be swayed to a Western Power or the USSR... This adds addition economic support to either side. I also have Axis & Allies Pacific, which has more specialized units with attributes specific to each Nation.

Redwingedblackbird on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd certainly like to play Axis and Allies and I haven't gotten the chance to play the latest one yet, but I'm not going to be able to Thursday night. If there is a late-night/after hours game some other time I'd be up for it then.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm pushing for Thursday just because PAX is not on that night... but other nights are still a possibility. Especially Sunday night, since PAX closes at 7PM that night.

Redwingedblackbird on
This discussion has been closed.