As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cursor flies to the top of screen.

mullymully Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I think the title says it all.

It's not the mouse, it's not the mousepad -- I just had both replaced, and the problems existed prior to and post switch.
Although I guess they're both laser mice ... anyway.
I do have my mousepad on top of my tablet, in case that is of importance.

So what happens is, I'll be mousing around, foruming, TF2ing, whatever -- and suddenly, the mouse cursor will just fly up to the top of the screen. It happens about once an hour, I guess.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

mully on

• LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is your tablet plugged in while your mouse is on it?

Lewisham on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Is your tablet plugged in while your mouse is on it?

Yes, it is.
    Would that affect it?
    Crud, is this going to be one of those "one post thread locked" H/A threads >_<

mully on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, I suggest trying it with the graphics tablet unplugged and seeing if that makes a difference. It's the only input mechanism for the mouse you haven't replaced.

Lewisham on
    edited August 2009
    It's going to be really annoying if I have to constantly plug and unplug it :S I tend to use both at the same time (well, switch back and forth). Wonder if I could just move the tablet...

mully on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You could disable the tablet from inside Windows. Right now we're just trying to find out if the tablet is the culprit.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited August 2009
    H'okay, tested -- isn't my tablet. :/

mully on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You know, this happens to me too. What kind of laptop do you have? I use a dell xps m1530.

Food on
  • I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It sounds like either a memory issue or you are getting crosstalk from them.

if both work seperate from eachother than the only thing left is that they are together

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    I had this happen back in Windows 95 (yes, I actually used a laser mouse with 95.. I kept that computer alive way too long), another time in 98, and another on XP.. the only fix was to replace the mouse. And by that I mean switching brands entirely.

does the mouse do it in other computers?

FyreWulff on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What kind of mousepad are you using? Is it soft and non-reflective, or one of those thin plastic pieces of shit?

Sometimes the plastic ones like to play with the laser and make it think its moving.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    mully wrote: »
    It's going to be really annoying if I have to constantly plug and unplug it :S I tend to use both at the same time (well, switch back and forth). Wonder if I could just move the tablet...

Have you tried the tablet mouse that's probably stuffed in a box or a drawer somewhere in your house?

MKR on
  • MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is it a laptop? If so, turn of the touchpad.

MushroomStick on
    edited August 2009
    It's not a laptop, it's a PC

I switched from a Logitech mouse to a Razer mouse, problem remains

Mousepad is a Razer "Goliathus" (fabricy normal mousepad)

mully on
  • BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mully this same thing happens to me on two PCs and my laptop. I haven't figured out what causes it so I have no useful advice to give. I am just here to commiserate.

Betelgeuse on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Betelgeuse wrote: »
    Mully this same thing happens to me on two PCs and my laptop. I haven't figured out what causes it so I have no useful advice to give. I am just here to commiserate.

It's happened to me too! It makes me motion sick when I'm playing an FPS and suddenly I'm staring up at the sky.

Metalbourne on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Three AC people with the same problem? Creepy.

MKR on
    edited August 2009
    What surface are you using the mice on? Try using them on a blank piece of paper and see if that helps. Sometimes if the surface is too shiny or the mouse doesn't like the pattern on a surface, things mess up like that.

MushroomStick on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    I think the title says it all.

It's not the mouse, it's not the mousepad -- I just had both replaced, and the problems existed prior to and post switch.
    Although I guess they're both laser mice ... anyway.
    I do have my mousepad on top of my tablet, in case that is of importance.

So what happens is, I'll be mousing around, foruming, TF2ing, whatever -- and suddenly, the mouse cursor will just fly up to the top of the screen. It happens about once an hour, I guess.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

How expensive was the original mouse, and how expensive is the replacement? I've found this is an extremely common problem with cheap laser mice.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Also, are you plugging the mouse into a usb or ps2 port? Is there anything close to the plug that might be moving it around? Does it feel like the mouse plugs in solidly, or it feel loose? If its usb, have you tried using a different port?

MushroomStick on
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    New mouse drivers might solve it, especially in the case of the Razer mouse. The Habu I used to have worked quite a bit better with the included software than it did plug-and-play.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Do you have Enhance Pointer Precision on?

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
    edited August 2009
    I am telling you this is probably crosstalk.

edited August 2009
    USB port for my new one, mouse-port for the old one.
    Original mouse came with the machine (but probably a 20$ mouse), new mouse is about 85$ at regular cost.
    I just turned off the enhance pointer precision last night, actually, and it's still doing the same crap.

How do I make the crosstalk stop, if the tablet isnt plugged in? Is there somewhere I can go and uncheck tablet stuff or something?

Above all, thank you betelgeuse, for your empathy.

mully on
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I get this on one of my Dell laptops from work. it almost seems to be something akin to a mouse gesture since it happens more when I go to move the mouse suddenly, but there's no software loaded that has configurations for such a thing. I've never been able to figure it out and it's followed through 2 complete machine rebuilds (wiped the OS and rebuilt from scratch). It may be something funky with the the drivers with no real way to turn it off, I don't know... but it's only that system that does that. My other Dell laptop doesn't do it, the dell desktop doesn't, plus an assortment of other systems.

I know it's not a whole lot of help since I've never been able to figure out a reason for it, but you aren't alone in the behavior at least!

EclecticGroove on
    edited August 2009
    USB port for my new one, mouse-port for the old one.
    Original mouse came with the machine (but probably a 20$ mouse), new mouse is about 85$ at regular cost.
    I just turned off the enhance pointer precision last night, actually, and it's still doing the same crap.

How do I make the crosstalk stop, if the tablet isnt plugged in? Is there somewhere I can go and uncheck tablet stuff or something?

Above all, thank you betelgeuse, for your empathy.
    try unplugging the tablet when using your mouse, it's a pain, but if it's crosstalk it should get rid of it

• losabiolosabio Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Does this notebook have one of the little eraser type pointing sticks between the G and H keys? It might be stuck, try wiggling it around.

losabio on
    edited August 2009
    She said its a desktop.

MushroomStick on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Optical mice do this. Brand and quality don't seem to matter, in my experience. The tablet doesn't make a difference.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited August 2009
    My optical mice don't do this.

MushroomStick on
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

If you are using Windows you can do this in the Device Manager. It should be under Human Interface Devices.

In a related knowledge-base article MS advised to just uninstall everything under mouse or HID and reinstall the necessary drivers. I'd get the newest drivers before doing this, obviously.

Grobian on