As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Want to buy a UPS, what specs do I need?

SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG!Registered User regular
Edit: Changed the title to UPS, we call them No-breaks here.

I live in an old neighborhood, in Mexico, in a commercial area. Transformers blowing up out of the blue isn't a rare thing, so blackouts and brownouts aren't rare either.

What I basically want is something to just let me save my work and turn off my computer in the event of the power going out for a while. My computer is as follows:

E8400 C2D processor @ 3.6ghz
4GB RAM
HD4850 videocard
Corsair TX750 PSU
22" Acer LCD monitor

I've been looking at some, and they state things as "Max 200W", I think my system draws around 350-380W at peak, should I get one that has a 400W max? Those are No-breaks that give me something around 30minutes time, something I'm not interested in, and they cost over $150!

The power doesn't go out for long most of the time, it's usually 2 or 3 seconds, but it's enough to piss me off the whole day if I lose progress on anything I was working on, or worse, if my system files become corrupted.

Any info, is appreciated.

Satsumomo on

• Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh you're looking for a UPS or interruptible power supply. Here's a 450W unit that's a good brand for about $80USD. Anywhere from 2-10 minutes time, which should be enough.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Z80ICM/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=2917186405&ref=pd_sl_262aryy2o_e

Unfortunately Amazon won't ship that to Mexico, try checking local online tech retailers or any U.S. based sites you know that ship internationally.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have my pc and monitor connected to a 400w UPS, with everything else (speakers, mouse charger) plugged into a surge protected, four-plug extender. I live in a relatively new apartment and there are never any problems, but after losing a few motherboards to power surges over the years I'm playing it as safe as I can.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for the replies guys. I can get that APC model down here at my local retailer, but it's $120 :(

I'm not very good with electricity concepts, but, would a 200W unit be able to supply 400W but just half the time? For example, 200W allows 5 minutes, would I be able to pull 400W out of it for 2.5 minutes (Or less..)?

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys. I can get that APC model down here at my local retailer, but it's $120 :(

I'm not very good with electricity concepts, but, would a 200W unit be able to supply 400W but just half the time? For example, 200W allows 5 minutes, would I be able to pull 400W out of it for 2.5 minutes (Or less..)?

I have no idea... but my PSU is a NorthQ 500w "Godzilla" unit and when the power goes out, I will usually get around four minutes out of the 400w UPS - more than enough to save anything I have open and shut down properly.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Satsumomo wrote: »

No.

jackal on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Based on your power usage claim, you probably want at least a 650 VA unit. Should give you 5-15 minutes of runtime.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Damn my computer for being a power whore. I have no interest in long durability when the power goes out, since it's always just a quick thing that lasts for a minute at most, and I just want to be able to shutdown my computer, not continue working on it.

Is VA = Volts * Amperes? That's the same as Watts isn't it?

This is the UPS list of one of my local retailers, and this is the other one.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Based on your power usage claim, you probably want at least a 650 VA unit. Should give you 5-15 minutes of runtime.

And only plug essential devices into the UPS side of the unit. It should be sectioned between UPS coverage outlets and surge protection outlets. Monitor goes in surge, while PC goes in UPS. Your computer should be configured to automatically shut down/hibernate when power falls too low, so the monitor should be unnecessary.

If you plug anything else in, When the UPS fails over to battery, those devices are going to be draining power that your PC could be using.

Essential devices for me would be PC, modem, router.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png