As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My car windshield is cracked...

SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
A few months ago a rock from a truck hit my windshield and left a nick in the windshield...I didn't think anything of it until this morning when it turned into a foot long crack on the drivers side.

I know the cost can be between $300-$500. I have a 07 ford focus, but I came here to ask if anyone had any experience in this and some suggestions based on personal experience with it. Should I just ask for a quick fix or should i outright replace it? Wait till it gets REALLY bad or what?

SkyGheNe on

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't think you can repair a crack that big. I know that in the UK companies like Autoglass will resin-fill small cracks for about £20, but I think you're past that now.

Call a windscreen place and ask them how much to replace the screen. Popular models usually aren't all that expensive.

japan on
  • Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Foot long crack is fucked. Replace it. It is dangerously weakened, and if you have an accident in which it was a factor you'd be criminally negligent I expect.

My insurance, and almost all fully-comp insurance in Britain, will repair little chips in your windscreen for free to avoid what you just described. And even if they didn't, next time pay the money to have it done. Much cheaper in the long run. No idea how this applies to other countries, as ever, but someone like auto-glass in other countries must have the same ability.

You know that your insurance might cover windscreen replacement but you'd have to pay an excess? Ringing them and talking to them is the first point of call.

Teslan26 on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Get it fixed or replaced if necessary, safety wise its the best thing to do. It could continue to get worse.

As Japan said, if you get a small nick again, go into an auto glass repair place, they can fill in those little nicks for a very nominal price, which will stop it turning into the situation you have now.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for the info guys. Sheesh I'm an idiot - figured it wouldn't get this bad but I guess experience is the best teacher.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You can also superglue a little shatter or crack to reinforce it. Just cover the affected area. For future reference, you know.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Before you replace it find yourself a Safelite place and take it to them. They can usually fill anything less than a dollar bill in length without a problem and can sometimes do bigger stuff.

Chases Street Demons on
    "Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It shouldn't be $300-400, for one. Call around to windshield repair shops in town, and ask for the price for your '07 Focus.

When I had to get my windshield replaced on my older Focus, it didn't cost much more than $100.

Edit: Ah, insurance may have been involved in that price, I can't remember. Definitely ask your company if they cover cracked windshields.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. I (apparently) got the chip at night, didn't drive for a couple days, and the next thing I knew, I had a 16" crack. I reported it to my insurance company, but my deductable was too high for them to do anything about it.

What they did do, though, was quote me a price to have the windshield replaced, and tell me where I could get it for that price. They quoted me at around $265, IIRC (I'm fixing it this week).

Saddler on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Your comprehensive deductible on your insurance is going to be more than it costs to have the windshield replaced. It most likely cannot be "repaired," especially if either end of the crack reaches the edge of the glass.

When this happened to me, it was free for my insurance to replace it, but that's because I have a $0 deductible clause. Give your company a call and see what your current coverage is and what they recommend.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    in some states, insurance is required to waive your deductible when it comes to windshield replacement. call your insurance co, and find out.

illig on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2009
    You're going to have to get it replaced regardless of what your insurance covers. A foot long crack cannot be repaired and you're putting yourself (and others on the road) in danger by continuing to drive the car.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    wait

if you're in Connecticut your car insurance is required to cover full glass replacement, one of those silly things you don't know about until somebody puts a PA speaker through a window

call your insurance agent and get a list of glass repair people, some of them will even repair your windshield in your own driveway

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Usagi wrote: »
    wait

if you're in Connecticut your car insurance is required to cover full glass replacement, one of those silly things you don't know about until somebody puts a PA speaker through a window

call your insurance agent and get a list of glass repair people, some of them will even repair your windshield in your own driveway

This excites me - I'll have to call this week and see if I can get some of the costs covered. Thanks for this heads up.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    wait

This excites me - I'll have to call this week and see if I can get some of the costs covered. Thanks for this heads up.

hey, no problem

it saved me a hell of a lot of money, hopefully it will do the same for you

Usagi on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2009
    I don't think they will repair a foot long crack though. When I had a crack in the windshield of my jeep they told me that anything longer than a dollar bill would have to be replaced completely.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I don't know how CT car insurance deals with repair

the one I had replaced was a rear fixed window that had been completely smashed and insurance covered the entire cost

Usagi on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If they cover that, then they should cover a cracked windshield. As far as I know, its technically illegal to drive a car with a cracked windshield.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, luckily I can walk to the places where I work as a consultant so I can lay off the car for a while. I'm more worried about what kind of damage it might do to the rest of the car if the windshield functions as kind of a support for the frame (Didn't know this!).

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Corvus wrote: »
    Get it fixed or replaced if necessary, safety wise its the best thing to do. It could continue to get worse.

What's more, it now won't take much for the screen to shatter, meaning the next time a truck kicks up a piece of gravel on his screen suddenly he's going to get a face full of glass.

Like most have said, windscreen repairs are often covered with $0 excess on insurance policies precisely because not getting chipped or cracked windscreens replaced is so darn dangerous.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

What's more, it now won't take much for the screen to shatter, meaning the next time a truck kicks up a piece of gravel on his screen suddenly he's going to get a face full of glass.

Like most have said, windscreen repairs are often covered with $0 excess on insurance policies precisely because not getting chipped or cracked windscreens replaced is so darn dangerous.

safety glass (like what windshields are made out of) does not 'shatter' unless you put a LOT more force against it than a rock from a truck can do.

also, the windshield does not 'support' the frame. all the windshield will do structurally is perhaps reduce vibrations. a frame that bends without a windshield is a frame that would squish flat if the car ever flipped on its roof.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This topic has shown me the way.

I am getting my tiny crack filled ASAP.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

Anyone? Anyone?

John Matrix on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Anyone? Anyone?

You don't think I'm pretty enough? :(

THEPAIN73 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Anyone? Anyone?

I'd have to buy you dinner first

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Anyone? Anyone?

I'd have to buy you dinner first

Damn right, and you better make it special.

Olive Garden mother fucker.

:winky::winky::winky:

THEPAIN73 on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

safety glass (like what windshields are made out of) does not 'shatter' unless you put a LOT more force against it than a rock from a truck can do.

also, the windshield does not 'support' the frame. all the windshield will do structurally is perhaps reduce vibrations. a frame that bends without a windshield is a frame that would squish flat if the car ever flipped on its roof.
    There are two types of safety glass in a car. The windshield is made from laminated glass, which is actually two pieces of glass with a layer of laminate between them. It won't "shatter" in the way that side and rear windows will, as they are made from single sheets of tempered glass, which explodes when broken (albeit mainly into tiny, relatively blunt pieces). Laminated glass is sharp when it breaks, but it would need considerable force in order to break apart and cut anyone.

As for repairs, it's not possible to repair anything much bigger than a quarter, and even then, if it's started to "run", your only option is going to be replacement.
    Some older vehicles -- mainly with flat side or rear windows (e.g. Jeeps and VW Bugs) -- will actually have laminated glass in the doors or rear window, but it's pretty rare to see that nowadays.

naporeon on