As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Did you ever think...[Graphics]

123457»

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have long since come to terms with the fact that I will probably be playing Starcraft 3 and Diablo 4 before I ever get to play HL2: Episode 3. :(

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Black Ice wrote: »
    I still won't forget Half-Life 2's opening when I took my first step outside. No other game has or will make my jaw drop like that.

It wasn't just the fact that the graphics were amazing - it was the fact that I didn't know graphics could be that great, on top of the fact that I had no idea that my computer (Which couldn't run other games on "High") was capable of rendering such a scene at that framerate. Now that I don't play on my PC, I always hope for Episode 3 to come out for the PS3, but I know Valve has said they aren't even touching the PS3.

I've read that while everything looks real in still images, animation still has a very, very long way to come.

Outside of what? The train?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    august wrote: »
    Doesn't mean they won't hand off Orange Box 2 to someone else to port like they did Orange Box 1.

I know - I'm hoping it'll happen, but after what was the Orange Box on the PS3, I have such low expectations. :(
    I still won't forget Half-Life 2's opening when I took my first step outside. No other game has or will make my jaw drop like that.

It wasn't just the fact that the graphics were amazing - it was the fact that I didn't know graphics could be that great, on top of the fact that I had no idea that my computer (Which couldn't run other games on "High") was capable of rendering such a scene at that framerate. Now that I don't play on my PC, I always hope for Episode 3 to come out for the PS3, but I know Valve has said they aren't even touching the PS3.

I've read that while everything looks real in still images, animation still has a very, very long way to come.

Outside as in, the outdoors - my bad, I should've specified. After that one guard makes you pick up the trash, and you walk past the TV's with the Benefactor speaking.

Black Ice on
  • XaevXaev Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I feel bad, because I own Star Fox for SNES (it was given to me as a gift sometime in the last few years), but I've never gotten around to playing it.

Xaev on
    Steam - Lysus || XBL - Veax || PSN - Lysus || WoW - Lysus (Korgath - US) || Guild Wars - Lysus Yjirkar || Starcraft II - Lysus.781 || League of Legends - Lysus
    Feel free to add me on whatever network, it's always more fun to play with people than alone
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    We've got a ways to go before video game graphics match film CGI quality.

And film CGI quality has a ways to go before it matches photorealism.

So there's still a long way to go, I guess.

It's mostly cost, rather than ability; lots of parts of movies are digital without you even knowing. Sustaining that kind of realism over an entire movie is difficult when you're on a budget, though.

I dunno, Avatar doesn't look photorealistic. Matrix Reloaded and King Kong sure as hell didn't.

Yeah, that's because those are giant special effects blowout masterpieces with a million effects in every single frame. Lots of movies do more subtle CGI stuff that you never even know about because you think it's all real.

IMHO Jurassic Park still holds the crown for best CGI in "giant special effects blowout masterpieces". Maybe that is because they blended CGI with animatronics. Which I think is something movies just don't do anymore. You are right though in that a lot of CGI in most movies are subtle things. Take muzzle flashes from guns for instance.

Because someone brought it up, King Kong was a great movie until the actual parts with King Kong about halfway in. The CGI was some of the least convincing I've seen. Now, assuming it was by the same people as LotR (same director), I'm rather surprised. LotR has some bad CGI (wargs), but overall, its rather well integrated into the movie, and some of it, like the Balrog, is amazing.

Jurassic Park has some great CGI and some dated stuff. Note that the Dinos in the scene they are first introduced look really fake, while the T-Rex in the thuderstorm doesn't.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    august wrote: »
    Doesn't mean they won't hand off Orange Box 2 to someone else to port like they did Orange Box 1.

I know - I'm hoping it'll happen, but after what was the Orange Box on the PS3, I have such low expectations. :(

Outside as in, the outdoors - my bad, I should've specified. After that one guard makes you pick up the trash, and you walk past the TV's with the Benefactor speaking.

Welcome to City 17. It's safer here.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Am I the only one that liked Starfox Command?

No, I liked it fine. I just didn't absolutely love it the way I absolutely love SNES StarFox. And I just don't see why Nintendo or the developers it contracts can't just make another solid on-rails flight combat game. Or why, despite pillaging their NES and SNES classic back catalog in re-releases and remakes, they refuse to acknowledge the existence of one of their very best SNES games.

edit: Also the multiplayer in Command was great fun.

AFIAK no Super FX chip games are on Virtual Console. The chip is difficult to emulate accurately (heck, nobody can emulate the N64 correctly). It also might still be owned by the company that made it. As it stands, I would love to have Starfox, Yoshi's Island, and Stunt Race FX on VC..

FyreWulff on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Portals portals were pretty jawdropping for me because I realised how hard it would be to code. By this I mean seeing through them.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Am I the only one that liked Starfox Command?

No, I liked it fine. I just didn't absolutely love it the way I absolutely love SNES StarFox. And I just don't see why Nintendo or the developers it contracts can't just make another solid on-rails flight combat game. Or why, despite pillaging their NES and SNES classic back catalog in re-releases and remakes, they refuse to acknowledge the existence of one of their very best SNES games.

edit: Also the multiplayer in Command was great fun.

AFIAK no Super FX chip games are on Virtual Console. The chip is difficult to emulate accurately (heck, nobody can emulate the N64 correctly). It also might still be owned by the company that made it. As it stands, I would love to have Starfox, Yoshi's Island, and Stunt Race FX on VC..

I'm not solely talking about the VC. Nintendo has remade and re-released numerous games from its past on a variety of consoles. Not just ports or emulations either, even sometimes full on remakes. I wouldn't mind such a thing for SF SNES, but at the very least, something that glorifies one of the best games in Nintendo's back catalog.

Yoshi's Island uses the Super FX 2 chip. And Nintendo thought that game worthy of a Gameboy Advance Re-release. I mentioned earlier that during the height of Nintendo's "GBA re-release" mania, I hoped and prayed that StarFox SNES would get such treatment but of course that was just a pipedream.*

Also, the SFX chip may have been hard to emulate at one point, but that difficulty was overcome many years ago as there now exists emulation software 100% capable of emulating the SFX chip with perfect accuracy. Does that mean that Nintendo has such software itself, or that it wants to bother creating such an emulator for the VC? Probably not. But in my dream world we would get more than a mere VC re-release anyway. In my never-gonna-happen dream world, we'd get StarFox SNES, exactly as it is, but with the basic improvements while keeping the overall game the same; whatever platform it would potentially come out for.
    * an enterprising third party understood the potential for a starfox-like game on the snes-like gba, and made "Star-X," an obvious homage to the SNES starfox classic both in gameplay and in title. Unfortunatley the game was kind of a piece of crap, at least compared to the game to which it paid its homage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZPB4FNoUS0

slash000 on
    edited August 2009
    Well the other problem is Starfox isn't really one of their flagship (ie, console-pushing) franchises. Starfox (except 64) has always been kind of a mid to late term console game. The SNES version was to answer Sony.

I just wish Rare could have actually finished Starfox Adventures before being bought out by Microsoft. It was always really obvious that there was a gigantic chunk of the game missing. We know for a fact that there's a bunch of unused Krystal dialogue from her cut segment of the game.

I mean it's not like shopping it out to Namco, you know the people that made rail shooters for a living.. their rail levels in Armada were just not that good.

Although as it stands Yoshi's Island GBA is a port and not emulation, so they didn't have to emulate the FX chip since the GBA could do it's tricks natively.

Maybe they can try farming it out again, but for the love of god Namco already had their chance and blew it. Let Sega have a go now.

FyreWulff on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well the other problem is Starfox isn't really one of their flagship (ie, console-pushing) franchises. Starfox (except 64) has always been kind of a mid to late term console game. The SNES version was to answer Sony.

Even so, I believe it has not been given the treatment and respect that it deserves.

Although as it stands Yoshi's Island GBA is a port and not emulation, so they didn't have to emulate the FX chip since the GBA could do it's tricks natively.
    And during those days I'd have killed a man for a GBA iteration of StarFox! Not really but man that'd be awesome to have a portable starfox SNES...
    Maybe they can try farming it out again, but for the love of god Namco already had their chance and blew it. Let Sega have a go now.

I was thinking Treasure could give it a shot. Like, the people who did Sin & Punishment. Speaking of which I'm really looking forward to Sin & Punishment 2.

slash000 on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also, the SFX chip may have been hard to emulate at one point, but that difficulty was overcome many years ago as there now exists emulation software 100% capable of emulating the SFX chip with perfect accuracy.

Just had to pop in to agree with this.

Difficulty of emulating either of those has been a non-issue for a long time.

august on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Portals portals were pretty jawdropping for me because I realised how hard it would be to code. By this I mean seeing through them.

Oh hell yeah

When you put two portals next to each other and run through them

Shit blew my mind

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Falling through an endless loop while looking down.

Or trying to sort out a puzzle with those turrets where without thinking you make a portal in its line of sight on the wall opposite, and suddenly you are being shot from the portal in the floor below because it's seeing you even though youre behind it. So you reflexively look down at the gun and then up at the gun shooting into the wall away from you and then @_@.

There were moments in that game that just broke my head trying to figure out what was going on, I would end up just firing a random portal to break the whole loop.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited August 2009
    I remember the endless stairs in Super Mario 64 being a total mindfuck, which is sad because due to the way they emulate it on VC the effect is killed.

FyreWulff on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I remember the endless stairs in Super Mario 64 being a total mindfuck, which is sad because due to the way they emulate it on VC the effect is killed.

What happens in the VC version?

Impersonator on
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    anytime anyone wonders where graphics CAN go, all they need to do is look to CGI movies. The shit in Wall-E or Final Fantasy VII AC is not possible in real time.

One day, however, it will be.

TheSonicRetard on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    We've got a ways to go before video game graphics match film CGI quality.

And film CGI quality has a ways to go before it matches photorealism.

So there's still a long way to go, I guess.

It's mostly cost, rather than ability; lots of parts of movies are digital without you even knowing. Sustaining that kind of realism over an entire movie is difficult when you're on a budget, though.

I dunno, Avatar doesn't look photorealistic. Matrix Reloaded and King Kong sure as hell didn't.

Yeah, that's because those are giant special effects blowout masterpieces with a million effects in every single frame. Lots of movies do more subtle CGI stuff that you never even know about because you think it's all real.

IMHO Jurassic Park still holds the crown for best CGI in "giant special effects blowout masterpieces". Maybe that is because they blended CGI with animatronics. Which I think is something movies just don't do anymore. You are right though in that a lot of CGI in most movies are subtle things. Take muzzle flashes from guns for instance.

Because someone brought it up, King Kong was a great movie until the actual parts with King Kong about halfway in. The CGI was some of the least convincing I've seen. Now, assuming it was by the same people as LotR (same director), I'm rather surprised. LotR has some bad CGI (wargs), but overall, its rather well integrated into the movie, and some of it, like the Balrog, is amazing.

Jurassic Park has some great CGI and some dated stuff. Note that the Dinos in the scene they are first introduced look really fake, while the T-Rex in the thuderstorm doesn't.

That's because the T-Rex in the thunderstorm wasn't all CGI - there was a lot of it that was traditional FX.

Jurassic Park still holds up well, though (as does T2) which is a testament to just how much of a quantum leap in movie CGI was made in the early 90's.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
    edited August 2009

What happens in the VC version?

The draw distance is too far so you see the top of the stairs 'pop' back every time you hit the reset point.

FyreWulff on