As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LPT to USB - Does such a thing exist?

TechBoyTechBoy Registered User regular
I have an old but trusty Xerox Copier/Laser Printer that uses LPT that I want to keep using. The old Thinkpad I was using to hookup with the Xerox has bit the dust.

Is there such a thing as a LPT to USB converter? Google says yes, but has anyone ever used one? I just want to use the Xerox as a (snappy) laser printer.

tf2_sig.png
TechBoy on

• Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    MagitekMagitek Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    TechBoy wrote: »
    I have an old but trusty Xerox Copier/Laser Printer that uses LPT that I want to keep using. The old Thinkpad I was using to hookup with the Xerox has bit the dust.

Is there such a thing as a LPT to USB converter? Google says yes, but has anyone ever used one? I just want to use the Xerox as a (snappy) laser printer.

Check if your motherboard actually has a LPT port, then you can just buy the cable and use LPT. My motherboard (bought less than 3 months ago) sports an ancient LPT connector even still. I had to dig in the mobo manual to find it.

Magitek on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've seen them used in real life. How well it works can vary, especially since all it normally does is create a new parallel port which is then attached via USB. It's not actually a 'converter' per se. So it depends how well it is implemented.

I'd recommend just buying a $5 one and seeing if it works out.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've used a bunch of these of different brands and they all have worked without issue.

It's a really basic device.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, you plug it in, Windows does it's little yellow bubble game for a minute, and then you have an LPT port in your hardware manager. If your motherboard secretly has one or two, you might find that the USB-added one has a number like LPT3 or LPT4, sometimes LPT5. Since everything is abstracted through the OS these days, every program will see it, including the printer setup stuff.

It's pretty much foolproof. Nothing at all like the nightmare hardware adaptors of yesteryear.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    mfroggmfrogg Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I used an USB to LPT - for a thermal STAR printer.. didn't work.

Not to say it won't work for something else, because the STAR printer also is used to open a cash drawer, so maybe some signals got lost. <shrugs>

Damn DELL for not putting LPT ports on some of their computers.

mfrogg on