As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The One Piece thread : Luffy vs Goku Chess match of the century!

• Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ugh... why would making him say Aaaaamen be good?

If anything I want more Scratchman!

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    fmz65 wrote: »
    Ugh... why would making him say Aaaaamen be good?

If anything I want more Scratchman!

Scratchman Apoo makes James Brown shouts when he's getting funky in battle.

All my love Apoo. All my love.

Godfather on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, I just finished Enies Lobby and I've got some questions.

1. Is there filler in Water 7 after the party? Right now they're helping this girl find a blue-finned yagama and I cannot believe this isn't filler.
    2. So, in the last thread, someone (I think it was Godfather) said that OP does not have a lot of major powerups. I am perfectly willing to call that total bullshit after this arc.
    MERRY NOOOOOOO! :'(
    4. What in the name of sweet Baby Jesus was up with the samurai stuff and the 5 episodes of flashbacking in the fucking middle of Enies Lobby? I was this close to saying OP isn't better than original Naruto and calling it, but the gigantic battle at the end of the arc totally redeemed it.

Also, Monkey D. Garp may be my new favorite character in the show.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The old yagama is filler, as are all the short one-episode character stories.

Glal on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wow that croc arch lasted forever...The finally was awesome but I was way too over it.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Arabasta? Yeah, that one was looooong. It didn't help that when something was happening it was usually the equivalent of Croc kicking Vivi in the stomach repeatedly.

Glal on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The end was worth it but goddamn

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yay for new One Piece thread.

And Kuma is definitely one of the more interesting characters our there right now.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kyou wrote:
    Oh wow holy crap

Supposed One Piece spoilers but nothing about this screams "fake" at me so I'll post it
    695830.jpg696930.jpg

The chapter is flashbacks of Ace saving Little Oars Jr. as well as Doflamingo fucking Oars Jr.'s shit up

Jragghen on
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Archipelago related spoilers:
    I really hope that those other rookies didn't bite it. Apoo, Drake, that magician guy, and kid especially, law's not bad either. I doubt they have, since Oda spent enough time describing them, giving them bounties, and so forth, but the situation on Saboady seemed pretty shitty for em.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kasanagi wrote: »
    Archipelago related spoilers:
    I really hope that those other rookies didn't bite it. Apoo, Drake, that magician guy, and kid especially, law's not bad either. I doubt they have, since Oda spent enough time describing them, giving them bounties, and so forth, but the situation on Saboady seemed pretty shitty for em.
    I imagine that they will have an easy enough time breaking out while anybody worth jack shit is involved in a huge ultimate battle of ultimate destiny.

Couscous on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wow. (Latest spoilers)
    Something appears to be sticking straight through Oars Jr. in that pic. Also, the words are Japanese (and also Chinese, which is why I can understand it) for 'shadow blade'. Given that the thing is also pitch black...

Either Moria's actually the one doing the attacking and Doflamingo is just laughing his sick head off or the Shichibukai are teaming up on the poor guy.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The crew needs a giant crewmember. Come on, it would be awesome.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Since Chopper, the crew members have been getting taller and older...

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm sure others already said similar things last thread, when I was avoiding spoilers, but my idea for crewmates:
    Hancock or Zinbei. Hancock could have the dream of liberating all slaves / marrying luffy, she's got the powers, and she's smokin hot. Zinbei I'm not sure about a dream, but he's pretty awesome, a nice guy, and doesn't really have any other commitments.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm sure others already said similar things last thread, when I was avoiding spoilers, but my idea for crewmates:
    Hancock or Zinbei. Hancock could have the dream of liberating all slaves / marrying luffy, she's got the powers, and she's smokin hot. Zinbei I'm not sure about a dream, but he's pretty awesome, a nice guy, and doesn't really have any other commitments.
    Hancock does not have the powers except for haki. Turning people to stone isn't wacky or useful when your enemies are badass mcbadasses.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    Hancock does not have the powers except for haki. Turning people to stone isn't wacky or useful when your enemies are badass mcbadasses.
    But isn't Haki the great equalizer? The fact that she is one of the strongest Haki characters (possessor of the rare King's Haki, is that right?) in the world probably puts her in the same ballpark as Shanks.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Uhh, the way I see it, with her "warrior princess" history, Haki capabilities, and the petrifying beam, she's at least as combat effective as Robin. Add the fact that all the guys fall for her looks, and she does that silly "looking down on you" thing, and she's both powerful enough and wacky enough for the crew.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Archgarth wrote: »
    But isn't Haki the great equalizer? The fact that she is one of the strongest Haki characters (possessor of the rare King's Haki, is that right?) in the world probably puts her in the same ballpark as Shanks.
    Luffy already has that. Having her on the crew would cause redundancy.

Couscous on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Someone on APforums is taking credit for the spoiler images on the previous page, so probable fakes.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Archgarth wrote: »
    she's boring and mostly evil

NotYou on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So was Robin when she first joined up, didn't stop that from happening did it?

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

If you can't think of a billion interesting things to do with the ability to create body parts on anything, you aren't very imaginative. Robin's power was always pretty interesting.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So her devil fruit is not as interesting, I'll give you that. She could still prove to be very interesting in a fight, what with her snake pet and her Haki. She would at LEAST be as interesting as Zoro or Sanji in a fight.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    umm robin never tried to murder people. Hancock just turned her underlings to stone for being nice, and then laughed about it and said she could do it because she's pretty. Robin saved people by pretending to murder them.

NotYou on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sidetracking the "who should be teh new crewmatezzzz" discussion for a bit-
    What do you guys think will realistically happen to buggy? He has interested me a LOT as the series has progressed...from scary pirate lord (albeit comical and stupid, he was still pretty ruthless) to his digression into essentially Usopp but with a Devil fruit...what does the future hold for our favorite clown?

Also- he is interesting because he has all the tools to be a supernovae (Pretty good devil power, buggy balls, strong crew) but he didn't go anywhere. I REALLY would LOVE if he joined Luffy. If they can forgive Hatchan, they can forgive Buggy, especially with the Impel Down stuff.

Arch on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    NotYou wrote: »
    umm robin never tried to murder people. Hancock just turned her underlings to stone for being nice, and then laughed about it and said she could do it because she's pretty. Robin saved people by pretending to murder them.
    Admittedly, Hancock's personality has changed substantially after spilling her history to Luffy.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    SpectreSpectre Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nevermind...

As for Buggy:
    I doubt he'll join the crew, but his bounty will probably go up alot. It's hard to guess what Oda plans to do with the character.

Spectre on
    gst+spectre.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Becoming stone is reversible not that it matters because the trio she turned to stone had committed a major crime and had to be punished. Notice how nobody complained about it? Her hand was forced. Not only that but her personality is an act much like Robin.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Becoming stone is reversible not that it matters because the trio she turned to stone had committed a major crime and had to be punished. Notice how nobody complained about it? Her hand was forced. Not only that but her personality is an act much like Robin.
    Her hand wasn't forced. They all do exactly as she says because they're all in love with her. That was stated clearly. She could have stabbed her sisters or fucked luffy on the stage for all anyone cares. They still would have been happy bout it.

And they didn't commit a crime, they made a mistake. It's not like they weren't trying to kill luffy. Becoming stone might be reversible, but smashing them to pieces isn't, which is what was about to happen.

She is evil. Being in love with luffy doesn't make her good. It just makes her do what he wants.

NotYou on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Her hand wasn't forced. They all do exactly as she says because they're all in love with her. That was stated clearly. She could have stabbed her sisters or fucked luffy on the stage for all anyone cares. They still would have been happy bout it.

And they didn't commit a crime, they made a mistake. It's not like they weren't trying to kill luffy. Becoming stone might be reversible, but smashing them to pieces isn't, which is what was about to happen.

She is evil. Being in love with luffy doesn't make her good. It just makes her do what he wants.

You're really convinced of this despite massive evidence to the contrary. I could counter your arguments but it's just not worth the effort.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

You're really convinced of this despite massive evidence to the contrary. I could counter your arguments but it's just not worth the effort.

If you have something beyond "tragic past" as your evidence, then please do.

NotYou on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Horray for the new thread.

Any way, about the anime. Now that this current fight is done, there are only a couple episodes until Luffy leaves the island. Anyone think at that time we'll get the awesome filler?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    On Hancock:
    I'm not sure if I'd go so far as to call Hancock "evil" - but to say her hand was forced is not true at all. They didn't commit a crime worthy of that punishment. Hancock isn't irredeemable, but she's lower on the OP ethical scale than Robin was when Robin joined.

But I think Oda has set it up so that her redemption is a possibility. She hasn't turned anyone permanently to stone that the reader has seen, and she shows some signs of goodness (she works for the world government, which she hates, to protect Amazon Lily). The worst thing she's done so far is kick a kitten, a puppy, and a baby seal.

But Oda likes to bait and switch. He set us up for Vivi and gave us Robin, then (kind of) set us up for Paulie and gave us Franky.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Without spoiling what's to come, I would guess there may be at least 1-2 eps of filler, either before or after his arrival at the next location. Manga's not very far ahead. I'm kinda new to this "keeping up with the manga and the anime simultaneously" deal, so I'm probably wrong.

Edit - Yougottawanna, so you're saying he's...
    setting us up for hancock and giving us zinbei? :D

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

More like...
    setting us up for hancock and jinbei and giving us someone else/Perona.

Spectre on
    gst+spectre.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Spectre wrote: »

More like...
    Doflamingo! Now that would be absurd.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

More like...
    Doflamingo! Now that would be awesome.

fixed

Spectre on
    gst+spectre.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

More like...

I would die from lack of bodily fluids.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Early manga spoilers from ap:
    PB3ZY.jpg
    vxCWJ.jpg
    Well, spoiler says the title is 'Returning the favor'

Flashback of Ace encountering and saving Oars Jr. while searching for Blackbeard

Doflamingo laughs like a madman and goes on a rampage bloodying up Oars

Oars tries to reach Ace but collapses

Chapter ends with WB walking to the scene
    So much for Oz (Oars?) Jr. 2nd pic seems to show that he was gutted by a magma attack, T.T

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
This discussion has been closed.