As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

High-end vid cards that aren't massive in size.

LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
So I want to upgrade my video card, currently using a Geforce 8800 GT. I was leaning towards something from the 200 series, but they all seem to be HUGE and I'm really not sure if they'll actually fit in my tower. It's already pretty full as it is.

Are there any solid vid cards that would be a good upgrade and not take up as much room as those monsters?

LockedOnTarget on

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Do you know how much room you have? I think all the cards that would be a decent upgrade for you are pretty big.

A 260 is apparently 26.7 cm
    An ATI 4890 is 24.6 cm

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'll have to do some measurements, I guess. Or just buy one from Future Shop and return it if it doesn't fit.

I wish my PSU didn't have so many friggen cables that I don't need to use. They take up so much space.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It kind of depends. I didn't think my 280GTX would fit in my Antec 900, but a friend of mine snugly fit his in a MICRO ATX case...

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ATI cards tend to be smaller, if that helps.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'll have to do some measurements, I guess. Or just buy one from Future Shop and return it if it doesn't fit.

I wish my PSU didn't have so many friggen cables that I don't need to use. They take up so much space.

Tie those cables up man. It's not that hard.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Basic cable management technique:

cm690image2.jpg

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The Radeon 4850 fits in my cramped-as-hell Antec Sonata III case.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Tying them up doesn't really make them take up less space.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

no, but basic cable management moves them to an area that doesn't matter.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just FYI, if you are looking at video cards online and want to know how big they are, use this handy trick:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=465183#465183

Basically if you can find a straight-on shot of the card (they almost always have one on newegg.com) then you can know how big it is, because the distance from the end of the card that's outside the machine and the end of the PCI-E connector is a standard distance.

Very helpful.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »

no, but basic cable management moves them to an area that doesn't matter.

Actually tying the lose unused cables together and keeping them close to the PSU saves up a fuckload of space. And tying the HD drive cables together also help. So on. So forth.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also, if it isn't urgent, you might want to wait until the next batch of video cards comes out from nVidia/ATi, which is scheduled for late '09/early '010.

Daedalus on