As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ATI 4870 Problem: AHHH

unpurposedunpurposed Registered User regular
I have a problem with my computer and it is driving me crazy.

I just started using this computer 2 days ago and installed windows updates and things I missed out over the summer. I also updated Left 4 dead and dawn of war 2 on Steam and downloaded the Arkham Asylum demo.

Now the problem is this: whenever I go into Dawn of War 2 or L4D, the image gets all out of whack. What I mean to say is that the image gets all scrunched up to the right side of the screen and the rest is just black.
This doesn't happen in the AA demo. I also tried other games outside of Steam (Fallout 3, XMEN Origins Wolverine) and this doesn't happen in those games.

I verified the data in Steam for both games and ran them again and the problem persists. The very first time this happened, I had doubleclicked on the Catalyst icon in my taskbar and the screen went black for a second or two and my desktop had been scrunched up to the right side of the screen with the rest being black. Also, there is a white line running from the top to the bottom on one side of the screen that disappears whenever the image is fine.

I'm running Windows 7 RC x64 and have an ATI 4870 512MB. Please help, this is driving me crazy.

EDIT: I played DoW2 last night for a couple hours last night and it worked fine. Nothing in my computer is overclocked. I have a Benq v2400HD and it's connected through VGA.

unpurposed on

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    have you tried re-installing the drivers?

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I uninstalled the previous drivers I had and installed the very latest ones and that didn't seem to make any difference.

However, right now I just hooked up my computer through DVI since before I had it hooked up via a DVI-VGA adapter. Now that it's hooked up through DVI the games work fine and display correctly. Am I right in assuming it had something to do with my monitor scaling things? In which case, I still don't understand why, since I've had it hooked up like this since I got it and haven't had any problems. Is my monitor failing?

I forgot to put that I changed the resolution on DoW2 to see what would happen (before I changed the cables and the problem still persisted) and all other resolutions below 1920*1200 worked and displayed correctly. It was only that resolution that acted that way.

unpurposed on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    it could be the VGA cable, it could be the VGA port on the monitor itself.

Really, you should be using DVI anyway. If you have a 4870 it means you were using a DVI-VGA adapter on the card to output to VGA on the monitor. I mean, why do that when you can just go DVI to DVI?

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »
    it could be the VGA cable, it could be the VGA port on the monitor itself.

Really, you should be using DVI anyway. If you have a 4870 it means you were using a DVI-VGA adapter on the card to output to VGA on the monitor. I mean, why do that when you can just go DVI to DVI?

Haha, to be honest, I really have no idea. That was the first thing that came to my mind when I was hooking my computer back up a couple of days ago. It was probably because I didn't have a DVI cable on hand when I first built my computer.

:lol:

Also, Thanks!

unpurposed on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    does 1920x1200 work now that you switched cables? My first thought was it had something to do with you using a non supported resolution, your native should be 1920x1080 on that monitor.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, it works perfectly now. The native resolution on this monitor is 1920*1200, since it's 16:10. I

unpurposed on