As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ultimate Spider-Thread!

• Options
    Blingston HughesBlingston Hughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I thought it was pretty well explained. Tidal wave removed all traces of evidence, or at least enough of it so that it became easier for him to buy his way back in. A lot can happen in 6 months.

Blingston Hughes on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The tidal wave doesn't even have to remove all the evidence. Just enough so that the rest can be bribed away.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If it washed away JJJ's hatred of Spidey, it can mess up a video tape.

Blingston Hughes on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    But it still makes it seem like Kingpin never returned to the country after issue 12, which he did by issue 79 and was arrested for attempted murder and other charges by issue 110, the very last fully drawn Mark Bagley issue btw.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah... either Bendis fucked up, or Kingpin did something else between Ultimatum and now that caused a complete replay of the second arc of USM and Kingpin's return.

Kind of disappointing, agreed... but man, sometimes Bendis sucks at continuity. Just look at how he tried to "repair" the USM video game and Spidey meeting Silver Sable.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There was another continuity gaffe earlier, but now I can't remember what it was.

Well, I can remember one other one. In the second trade, the first Kingpin arc - Spidey's going up against Electro and ridicules him for his one-liners all being food related - "Fry you like an egg"

But part of the setup for that was said by Electro in a different room and Spidey wasn't even there

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It does say something about USM being just so damn well written we can excuse some minor, or even major, continuity gaffs here and there.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    But...but...what if Bendis forgets Uncle Ben is dead?

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    USM needs more hippie Ben.

Blingston Hughes on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aunt May needs lovin' too.

Especially the actually cool, relevant, interesting character Ultimate Aunt May.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Look

The best page of USM hands down

And there is no debating this

Spidey telling fat jokes to the Kingpin

Me Too! on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ok. As someone who puts all of his love into USM and had USM be the reason he is back into comics today, would I like requiem/new number 1?

I have the complete run so far up to 133 but I am just really nervous about picking up three 4$ books at once then just hating them.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You can skip Requiem. All you need to know from that is that Spider-Man didn't die.

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man is good, though.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't know...the first pages of Requiem were powerful... It gave me closure with JJJ.

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I loved Requiem. It almost made Ultimatum worth it.

Almost.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'd have liked Requiem to take place entirely in the present. The Hulk and Iron Man stories kind of felt like a waste of time.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd have liked Requiem to take place entirely in the present. The Hulk and Iron Man stories kind of felt like a waste of time.
    True. It would've been nice to see more people grieving Peter/Spidey.

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ok. As someone who puts all of his love into USM and had USM be the reason he is back into comics today, would I like requiem/new number 1?

I have the complete run so far up to 133 but I am just really nervous about picking up three 4$ books at once then just hating them.

Honestly, I'd recommend skipping Requiem #1. I mean, it's not a bad comic by any stretch, and it was actually kinda cool to see some more Bagley art (didn't realize how much I missed it until I saw it again), but nothing really happens. It just felt like filler that Bendis didn't want to go to waste- #2 does a much better job of wrapping things up.

BostonGangler on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I want to really see what happens with MJ. She was such a major player in USM, if she just fades out in toback ground would make me sad. One of my favorite issuses was all about Mary and why Peter was so special.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I never got the adoration some people harbor towards MJ. I mean yeah, her ultimate counterpart is miles above the other one, but still. She always comes off as just Peter's sidekick, and never a fully realized character, even if they throw in the sucky parents. It may just be me though.
    Hopefully this Gwen/Peter thing will last and Pete will get a haircut and not turn out to be a clone.
    But then i see Bendis getting Parker laid, and then realizing how special it could have been with MaryJane, instead of Carnage.
    Anyway, i'm psyched for three way quips between Kitty/Johnny/Pete, that'll be a good splash page to hover over.

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    She always comes off as just Peter's sidekick, and never a fully realized character, even if they throw in the sucky parents. It may just be me though.

Apart from Alfred and Lois Lane, it's hard for me to think of a better supporting character than 616 MJ.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kitty seemed to worked better for Peter. I hope MJ ends up with Jessica though.

Glyph on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I was reading the article about Ultimate Comics in this months Wizard earlier today, and it didn't have much good info. Bendis does say he's bringing back villains from the 1967 Spider-Man TV show, and that Mysterio is going to be the overall Big Bad for a long time.

It also did have was a quote from Mark Millar saying that the 2nd second arc of Ultimate Avengers is going to be about Ultimate Ghost Rider and the Punisher, and the third will feature Wolverine, Blade, and Dracula. This may be old news, but I haven't read it anywhere. I guess Wolverine won't be staying dead.

Hensler on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    I guess Wolverine won't be staying dead.
    I'm shocked.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It would be cool if he just kept wrecking havoc in the afterlife and Hela decided to just kick him out.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Those storylines sound like quite a departure for the Avengers.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Dracula but not Morbius? Sad. I found Morbius far more interesting then I found Blade.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    Dracula but not Morbius? Sad. I found Morbius far more interesting then I found Blade.

Millar will probably take a few liberties with the characters, either making them better or worse. I seriously doubt he's going to leave Ultimate Punisher's character alone, for instance, considering he's basically just normal Punisher with a vendetta against crooked cops instead. Blade will probably get a bit of a makeover too.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

Millar will probably take a few liberties with the characters, either making them better or worse. I seriously doubt he's going to leave Ultimate Punisher's character alone, for instance, considering he's basically just normal Punisher with a vendetta against crooked cops instead. Blade will probably get a bit of a makeover too.

Yeah. I'll give it a chance. I wonder if we'll be seeing Morbius again in USM. I liked him.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    still saying Wolverine is gonna be Ultimate Ghost Rider

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    What would he ride?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A flaming wolverine.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is Blade still not quite totally vampiric in the Ultimate MU? Putting him and Ultimate Morbius together gives me weird ideas about using Blade to somehow make Ultimate Morbius a vampire with living guy powers (as opposed to 616's living guy with vampire powers).

Of course, there's no way in hell they'd actually do something like that.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    A flaming wolverine.

25so8xy.jpg

Heyo!

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    143999 wrote: »
    Is Blade still not quite totally vampiric in the Ultimate MU? Putting him and Ultimate Morbius together gives me weird ideas about using Blade to somehow make Ultimate Morbius a vampire with living guy powers (as opposed to 616's living guy with vampire powers).

Of course, there's no way in hell they'd actually do something like that.

What are living guy powers?

Hensler on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    143999 wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    A flaming wolverine.

25so8xy.jpg

Heyo!

booo

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    that man can do anything

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ultimate Comics Spider-man #2 preview

Damn, it looks like they did...
    kill off Kingpin
    after all.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Ultimate Ghost Rider and the Punisher

Holy fucking shit

Ultimate Ghost Rider

Yesssssssss

You know what I want to see not in Ultimate but just in general

Is an anthology book about the various Ghost Riders over the years

Think Trail Of Tears but with the Russian one on a fucking bear

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Ultimate Ghost Rider and the Punisher

Holy fucking shit

Ultimate Ghost Rider

Yesssssssss

You know what I want to see not in Ultimate but just in general

Is an anthology book about the various Ghost Riders over the years

Think Trail Of Tears but with the Russian one on a fucking bear

Jason Aaron has said he wants to do a Tales of the Ghost Riders book about this concept, but the ball is in Marvel's court.

Hensler on