As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Swine Flu and PAXSARS

MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
Getting sick sucks, and it's already hard enough to deal with the depression and PPTSD (Post-PAX Traumatic Stress Disorder) WITHOUT getting the flu.

I'm sure the chance of getting Con-SARS (cold/flu in general) is pretty high, but it increases substantially when things like consoles and controllers are shared between tens of thousands of people.

So please, people! Wash your hands often, clean off controllers before/after you use them, use hand sanitizer (shut up, ash!)! And if you're sick, be responsible and don't cough on shit that people will be touching, and try to minimize your germ-spread.

And don't forget about the swine flu!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Just be aware that you can spread germs even if you don't think you're sick or contagious!

Please be careful, drink lots of water and eat vitamins, and don't get the PAXSARS!!!!! because it really sucks.

MetaverseNomad on

• cafeganeshacafeganesha Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Omg yes. I was out for a whole week after last year's PAX, battling through conSARS. Definitely going to eat better, take vitamins and wash my hands more this year ><

cafeganesha on
    @cafeganesha on PAX Twitter
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Don't forget you can only do hand sanitizer (if you use it) three times before washing your hands again to get rid of dead germs lingering at the surface.

I'm sure that there are some folks who will not have the ability to wash themselves in the shower (and it better not be you Forum Kids) but please please please please please wash hands while in the restroom.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I hate hand sanitizer (and over sanitizing things in general). The smell sucks and it dries out my hands so I will not be using it :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Jules@Party934.comJules@Party934.com Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ummm yeah. Please Please do.

Some people's lives may literally depend on other's doing their part to make sure germs spending is down to a minimum.

Crap, now this thread made me even more nervous that normal to travel *sigh*

Jules@Party934.com on
    edited August 2009
    Honestly the best thing you can do is to wash your hands after using the restroom (this should be done always, if you dont then wtf), wash your hands before you eat, dont put strange things in your mouth, dont lick random things, and keep your hands away from your face as much as possible.
    Also make sure to sleep and eat.

You will be fine... unless you spend your entire life in a house away from the public and never go out except for pax... then you are screwed :P

BigRed on
    edited August 2009
    I have Lupus and the smallest thing puts me in the hospital. So for me, its not as simple as washing my hands.

Jules@Party934.com on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2009
    Also, vitamin C works wonders. The more prepared your body is for the onslaught of foreign germs, the better off you, and by extension everybody else, will be. The body's defenses take a hit when traveling for several reasons, so even if you rarely get sick, it's still a good idea to take preventative measures.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fuck hand sanitizer, PLEASE hand out deodorant. Seriously, I'm almost tempted to make little stickers that say "keep back 3 feet, i stink" and just handing them out. It's not only rude but sad when you can't manage your own body like that.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • king3vboking3vbo Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    Last year I got ConSARS and was in bed for a week... it really sucked

king3vbo on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You're all contributing to the supervirus!

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
    edited August 2009
    altmann wrote: »
    Fuck hand sanitizer, PLEASE hand out deodorant. Seriously, I'm almost tempted to make little stickers that say "keep back 3 feet, i stink" and just handing them out. It's not only rude but sad when you can't manage your own body like that.

Yeah MOE you should listen to this guy.

:P

BigRed on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have Lupus and the smallest thing puts me in the hospital. So for me, its not as simple as washing my hands.

I can't speak to things like masks, etc. But as far as hands go, I have a weakened immune system and I shake a lot of hands at PAX.

I carry around antimicrobial foam hand rinse. It doesn't dry out my hands like its gel cousins, and it works fairly well. You can ask your healthcare provider for an extra bottle or you can buy them directly from most medical supply stores.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited August 2009

I can't speak to things like masks, etc. But as far as hands go, I have a weakened immune system and I shake a lot of hands at PAX.

I carry around antimicrobial foam hand rinse. It doesn't dry out my hands like its gel cousins, and it works fairly well. You can ask your healthcare provider for an extra bottle or you can buy them directly from most medical supply stores.

Interviewing people wearing a mask would be silly LOL.

I try not to worry about it too much. If I did, I would never leave my house. I just hope that everyone does their part to try and decrease risks while I do my part to stay as healthy as possible.

Jules@Party934.com on
  • ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    use hand sanitizer (shut up, ash!)!

Woe! Woe unto us when the bugs develop resistance to common sanitizers because you people overused them! WOE. (ps, this is how antibiotic resistance came about. Not just fearmongering here, but whatever.)

That said, I mirror nomad's statements for the most part. WASH YO HANDS (and Wash Yo Ass). Just soap and water will remove a vast majority of the germs that get onto your hands from touching yourself at night (or in the bathroom. I'm sure it's mostly the former for us lot, however :P )

If you are sick, and decide to grace us all with your presence, please try to keep away from people when sneezing/coughing, and cover your mouth/nose when you have to. Keep small packets of tissues with you, etc.

If you aren't, wash your hands regularly, particularly if you just used a freeplay console. The quickest way for you to catch something is to touch someone else's hand when they're contagious, and then touch your face. Wash your hands in between, and you'll be much safer.

ashridah on
  • nikasaurnikasaur Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Use. Deodorant.

2nd PAX, we had bottles of Axe that we sneakily sprayed on the more PUNGENT con-goers. If anyone remembers the first PAX's enclosed console room.... yyyyeah.

nikasaur on
    edited August 2009
    ashridah wrote: »
    use hand sanitizer (shut up, ash!)!

Woe! Woe unto us when the bugs develop resistance to common sanitizers because you people overused them! WOE. (ps, this is how antibiotic resistance came about. Not just fearmongering here, but whatever.)

That said, I mirror nomad's statements for the most part. WASH YO HANDS (and Wash Yo Ass). Just soap and water will remove a vast majority of the germs that get onto your hands from touching yourself at night (or in the bathroom. I'm sure it's mostly the former for us lot, however :P )

If you are sick, and decide to grace us all with your presence, please try to keep away from people when sneezing/coughing, and cover your mouth/nose when you have to. Keep small packets of tissues with you, etc.

If you aren't, wash your hands regularly, particularly if you just used a freeplay console. The quickest way for you to catch something is to touch someone else's hand when they're contagious, and then touch your face. Wash your hands in between, and you'll be much safer.

To add, when coughing and sneezing, DO NOT cough and sneeze into your hand. Cough/sneeze into the inside of your arm at your elbow bend.

Jules@Party934.com on
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's never lupus.

Atlus Parker on
    edited August 2009
    You have no idea how often that line gets quoted to me

Jules@Party934.com on
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You have no idea how often that line gets quoted to me

How often is it quoted to you by a guy who dresses like House?

Atlus Parker on
    edited August 2009
    I think that has to be a first.

Jules@Party934.com on
  • LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    nikasaur wrote: »
    Use. Deodorant.

2nd PAX, we had bottles of Axe that we sneakily sprayed on the more PUNGENT con-goers. If anyone remembers the first PAX's enclosed console room.... yyyyeah.

If you ever sneak Axe some of the more pungent people at this year's PAX you'll be my hero. One of the main reasons I've never gone to any kind of con/expo before is because I have a really strong sense of smell.
    Really? Yes really. I know it's pathetic but christ I can probably tell you what someone is having for dinner from 50 feet away. On a good day I could probably tell you if they're eating off a paper or plastic plate.

So besides washing of hands please wash your bodies. For everyone's sake. Also that helps with disease too!

Guys this thread needs some GI Joe PSA music.

Lokiale on
    East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • PunkJrPunkJr Decepticon Infiltrator Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lokiale wrote: »
    So besides washing of hands please wash your bodies. For everyone's sake. Also that helps with disease too!

Guys this thread needs some GI Joe PSA music.

I SO agree. I love the shirt that says, "Real Gamers Shower".

PunkJr on
    daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
    Pirate, Stormtrooper, Decepticon
    Yes, my middle name really is MEGATRON
    Former Ravenclaw Death Eaters Head of House
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Timmy: What are you doing, Sally?

Sally: Getting ready for a shower!

Timmy: Showers are for nerds. Come out and roll around in these used kleenex!

Random GI Joe: Not true, Timmy!

(GI Joe PSA music, you can guess the rest...)

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
    edited August 2009
    nikasaur wrote: »
    Use. Deodorant.

PLEASE DO NOT SPRAY THINGS ON ATTENDEES
    If staff sees you do it... well... the rules are on the badges now and this qualifies under "Dont be a dick"

Would you like some guy hosing you down with something you may be allergic to?
    Even if some guy smells... well... you are at a convention... its just the nature of the beast. You could ask them nicely to go take a shower but meh... not much you can do about it.

BigRed on
    edited August 2009
    BigRed wrote: »
    well... you are at a convention... its just the nature of the beast.

And this, my friends, is why the terrorists win.

PunkJr on
    daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
  • ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    To add, when coughing and sneezing, DO NOT cough and sneeze into your hand. Cough/sneeze into the inside of your arm at your elbow bend.

Yes, this is why you carry a small packet of tissues. Also, coughing into your elbow makes you look more like dracula, so this is clearly Win!

ashridah on
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    altmann wrote: »

Every year someone goes way out of their way on the boards here to say this, but I've never run into the problem at PAX. It just doesn't seem like a common issue for PAX goers. Oh, I'm sure there might be a very low percentage of people not using deoderant that it would suck to be next to during the concerts, but every year someone on the boards makes it sound like the whole place smells like a sweatsock or something.

Dreamwriter on
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ashridah wrote: »

Yes, this is why you carry a small packet of tissues. Also, coughing into your elbow makes you look more like dracula, so this is clearly Win!

<3<3<3<3<3 that was awesome.

MetaverseNomad on
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've never really had a huge problem with smelly people at PAX either, but, I work with a half-orc who smells like death and the devil, so maybe I just have built up my tolerance, or my ability to ignore lesser smells or something... D:

MetaverseNomad on
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Vicks underneath the nose man.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mentholatum under the nose (on any menthe cream) will take care of the smell problem. This is what people who have to be around decaying corpses--by the way, sorry about that but using it to illustrate my point--use to cope with the smell. You'll still be able to smell things in general, but you won't pick up anything as quite so pungent.

As for the conSARS, it is important to protect yourself and others from disease. Wash your hands, and shower at least once a day if possible. Not only will you be washing away germs, but other people will want to talk to you because you don't smell like week-old feet wrapped in leathery, burnt bacon.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

G.I. JOEEEEE!

P.S. The other half of the battle is violence.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • GranasGranas Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I never noticed any smelly folk there, but I could go on a 5 hour rant about people being pigs in the bean bag chairs.

Granas on
    edited August 2009
    Alazull wrote: »
    As for the conSARS, it is important to protect yourself and others from disease. Wash your hands, and shower at least once a day if possible. Not only will you be washing away germs, but other people will want to talk to you because you don't smell like week-old feet wrapped in leathery, burnt bacon.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

G.I. JOEEEEE!

P.S. The other half of the battle is violence.

This is my favorite post of the week. :D

PunkJr on
    daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
    edited August 2009
    No NO NO!

The other half of the battle is 25% blue lasers and 25% red lasers

SEE!
    Lasers-T.jpg

Closer up
    The-Battle-Shirt.jpg

Jules@Party934.com on
  • KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    No NO NO!

SEE!
    Lasers-T.jpg

Closer up
    The-Battle-Shirt.jpg

I <3 you Jules.

Also: Axe is fucking terrible. TAKE A GODDAMNED SHOWER. Add deodorant. Cologne, body spray, or perfume does NOT take the place of actual hygiene.

General health advice: stay hydrated, get some quality sleep, try not to skip too many meals. Listen to your body.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    No NO NO!

SEE!
    Lasers-T.jpg

Closer up
    The-Battle-Shirt.jpg

I ordered that shirt before the movie came out, and it still has not arrived. According to the shipping email they sent me today, it's at my local US Postal Office. One of my woot t-shirts that I ordered last week arrived today, even though they sent the shipping email today as well. Barring a catastrophe, it will arrive tomorrow so I can wear it to PAX.

And actually, the violence is represented by the lasers, so you're both right.

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
    edited August 2009
    Guard the shirt with your life or it may not return to Californialand with you

Jules@Party934.com on
  • tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    No NO NO!

SEE!
    Lasers-T.jpg

Closer up
    The-Battle-Shirt.jpg

I ordered that shirt before the movie came out, and it still has not arrived. According to the shipping email they sent me today, it's at my local US Postal Office. One of my woot t-shirts that I ordered last week arrived today, even though they sent the shipping email today as well. Barring a catastrophe, it will arrive tomorrow so I can wear it to PAX.

I got that shirt yesterday in the mail =D

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
  • Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    tehnakki wrote: »
    No NO NO!

SEE!
    Lasers-T.jpg

Closer up
    The-Battle-Shirt.jpg

I got that shirt yesterday in the mail =D

I know we are getting a bit off topic, but this is why I won't be wearing any of my nerd shirts to PAX. Don't want to be in a crowd with a hundred people all thinking the same shirt is funny... Except maybe this shirt:
    407p_0c_ZoomB.jpg

Back on topic. I have the worse case of smell of anyone I know... Today I celebrate that fact.

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    NO AXE AT ALL. It's just as bad as BO. If you wear or spray people with Axe, I will literally not like you.

Also, with washing hands, it's just as important to make sure you dry them afterward as it is actually washing them.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.