As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cross-Country Supertrip 2009: There and Back Again

• Nunderw00bNunderw00b Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My brother in law is driving in from the twin cities, we are meeting in Fargo.

Nunderw00b on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text <3 Moe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1970.jpg
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2009
    Then you might want to either take a bus up to Fargo or drive to the Twin Cities, because personally, I wouldn't leave my car in some random place in some other state for a week.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2009
    That would be great and fine, except it's 4 hours in the wrong direction.

And what do the people joining the Supertrip do with their vehicles if they meet up with you in Fargo?

Nunderw00b on
    edited August 2009
    They drive them.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm meeting up with the Supertrip in South Bend, IN. I live 45 mins away in MI. I was orginally going to take the train into Chicago and then take a light rail commuter train out to South Bend.

Now, I'm getting a friend to drive me.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited August 2009
    a bus would be a great idea, except the closest one for me is an hour south, and fargo is 3 hours North. And not everyone joining the supertrip is driving their own vehicles. But never mind, I can already see I'm not going to find any help here.

Nunderw00b on
    edited August 2009
    Sometimes you have to take extra steps for things to work. The people on the CCST who aren't driving their own vehicles either live in the same area as the vehicle they are driving, take another form of transport to get to the vehicle they are with, or they drive to the city their group is starting from and park their car at the home of one of their group members. NOBODY drives to a waypoint and abandons their car in order to join up with another car.

Honestly, that's just rediculous. Either take the hour drive south to get on the bus or drive to your brother's house. Complain all you want about it being out of the way, but it's sure as hell better than abandoning your car for a week in another state where it's likely to get towed, stolen or broken into.

edit: also, you're driving across four states for over a day, what's an extra hour or three of driving to make sure your car is secure?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This might be a good time to point everyone over to my website, and specifically Episode 20, where wise words were spoken (and backed up)

"We know what we are doing, and you don't. This is why you should listen to us. 5 years of doing this has taught us a lot."

JonnyNero on
  • DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm taking a greyhound bus to meet up with Moe and crew. Just sayin'

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, I had a pair of routers that I thought I could use at least one of for this DD-WRT thing, and as it turns out they're both poor choices. Something about too little onboard RAM for all of DD-WRT's features.

I'll be taking a trip to Microcenter this weekend to try and find a decent one for cheap, as well as an antenna.

Rius on
  • Bob JackassBob Jackass Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rius wrote: »
    So, I had a pair of routers that I thought I could use at least one of for this DD-WRT thing, and as it turns out they're both poor choices. Something about too little onboard RAM for all of DD-WRT's features.

I'll be taking a trip to Microcenter this weekend to try and find a decent one for cheap, as well as an antenna.

I'm also gonna try and snag a Sprint aircard. I'm sure the reception will be spotty in the more remote areas, but it'd be kinda cool to try and share the internet throughout all the cars, provided it's not a distraction to the driver.

The only thing I have to make sure of is that usage isn't tracked. It's a company-provided air card and I don't wanna get busted for people checking out 2 girls 1 cup. ;)

Bob Jackass on
    Check out my actual, real life rock band!

Xbox Live - Bob Jackass || Playstation - Cosby__Sweater || Steam - Bob Jackass

Twitter
    edited August 2009
    I am able to tether my phone to my lappy which is going to be the one running our attenna. It's untracked Internet so if there's a way to send it out over the network please start spitballing

6 days, AHHHHHHH!!!!!

JonnyNero on
    edited August 2009
    I think (think) that if you plugged the laptop into the router's internet port and shared the laptop's internet connection over the network it should work. But if I'm not mistaken, your laptop wouldn't be able to do anything else on the network if that is the case.

Do we have any network people out there paying attention?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I think (think) that if you plugged the laptop into the router's internet port and shared the laptop's internet connection over the network it should work. But if I'm not mistaken, your laptop wouldn't be able to do anything else on the network if that is the case.

Do we have any network people out there paying attention?

Indeed you do, and indeed you are correct. We'd have to get a spare laptop (which I can probably snag from work) to act as a router. I haven't tried ICS over wireless, though, so I'm not 100% sure. I sit around the corner from some networking gurus, so I'll ask them.

Bob Jackass on

Twitter
    edited August 2009
    Bob, is it possible that you have a router we could use for this, before I set about buying one? Hehe.

Rius on
    edited August 2009
    I only have one. I can ask around and see if I can snag one though. One co-worker was excited about the idea of a mobile lan and offered to let us use his repeater.

As far as using an aircard in conjunction, it should be pretty simple. As long as we're all on the network and can do file & print sharing, the lappy with the aircard just has to enable internet sharing to other machines.

Bob Jackass on

Twitter
    edited August 2009
    Well fantastic. Although I imagine people will need to stay away from doing anything too bandwidth-heavy. I might want to commandeer the signal during stops to upload some time lapse footage to youtube.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2009
    Rius wrote: »
    Bob, is it possible that you have a router we could use for this, before I set about buying one? Hehe.

Hold off on it buying one. I'm pretty sure I can get my hands on one.

Bob Jackass on

Twitter
    edited August 2009
    Bob, if you manage to get two of these working, do me a favor and test them out for me. I've only got one router I can play with over here, which makes testing impossible.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2009
    Will do. Just curious, has this been done on previous CCST's? I'm just wondering how many routers will need, and how to bridge them.

Bob Jackass on

Twitter
    edited August 2009
    It's been attempted to varying degrees of success. I'd say a minimum of three, a maximum of five. The 3rd Ground Fleet joining us in Ellensburg probably won't be jumping on the network (although our increased size may put us out of range to maintain the network for that last leg of the trip.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2009
    I think I'm the second to last car to join before the long haul between Fargo and Seattle. If that's the case and there's only 5 cars, I think the best setup would be to have the router and aircard in car 3 and put a repeater in cars 2 and 4 so cars 1 and 5 can reach the signal without fear of losing connectivity. Antennae on cars 1 and 5 should be sufficient. Of course, that's best case scenario. I'd say, depending on the equipment brought, alternate the placement of routers and we can put the repeater wherever it's needed. I'll have the repeater tomorrow, and try to get two routers, but I can't guarantee if they'll be A/B/G/N.

Bob Jackass on

Twitter
  • teh1337ninj4teh1337ninj4 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Car Madgod will most likely not be able to join us due to circumstances of employment. However this is not 100% confirmed but I will find out before the day of when we are meeting you.

teh1337ninj4 on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    It's been attempted to varying degrees of success. I'd say a minimum of three, a maximum of five. The 3rd Ground Fleet joining us in Ellensburg probably won't be jumping on the network (although our increased size may put us out of range to maintain the network for that last leg of the trip.

Moe this is my router:
    http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-G-Broadband-Router-WRT54GX2/dp/B000AXU76E

Would it be of any use to you? I don't have any other networking stuff though besides cables.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
    edited August 2009
    No, that router does not support DD-WRT. All routers in use must support and have DD-WRT installed to work for this (they also need to support repeater mode).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2009
    Moe, do you have an idea of how many routers we might have? I don't think I can get anything other than a repeater, but if we're close to having enough, I might go buy one. I'm sure my home one could use an upgrade after PAX.

Bob Jackass on

Twitter
    edited August 2009
    Best I can figure is we've got my router, your repeater and another one coming from Texas in the Epic Default car.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2009
    If it becomes necessary to buy one for our car, Bob, I'll definitely split it. Might be able to get a cheap DD-WRT compatible one from craigslist.

Rius on
    edited August 2009
    Okay. I'm waiting to hear back from someone about borrowing one. If I don't have one in my hands by tomorrow, I vote we just buy one. We'll still need time to configure it.

Also, I found out that my company's aircard gets 5gb/month, so I don't think that's a viable option. I'll probably jailbreak my iphone and tether it.

Bob Jackass on

Twitter
  • YobgalYobgal Registered User new member
    edited November 2011
    deleted

Yobgal on
    edited August 2009
    There are no available seats going though that region. In order to join you would need a car and at least one other driver to keep up with our schedule without falling asleep at the wheel.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2009

I'll probably jailbreak my iphone and tether it.

Like I'm doing? Is there a way to have both on the network at the same time. Does 3g + 3g = 6g? Or just less down time since there is two ways onto the web web

JonnyNero on
    edited August 2009
    Yobgal wrote: »
    Two guys looking for a last minute ride. We failed monumentally on booking transportation when we registered for PAX, and a friend of mine pointed me here for help. Two mid twenties guys would love to join the caravan in Foristell, MO. We could bring a vehicle, but being the only two guys in the car kind of defeats the purpose of posting and asking for a ride. We're looking for any available seats in the caravan, starting from Foristell, MO. We'll split gas, food, etc. Also, we don't mind being split up; we'd just be happy to find seats. One of us (the other guy) can drive stick. I may or may not be able to get up to 5th without stalling, but once I'm on highway I'm obviously good to keep going.

Also, he's got table-top experience, I have TCG experience. We can both follow conversations in most topics of general geekdom. We both love video games. And long walks on the beach at sunset.

If you can find another driver, please let us know as soon as possible...since...we're the only people coming through there

JonnyNero on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A brief storage appeal...

... I have a costume that I need to bring for a certain secret project. I can fit it all inside of its main piece (a 22" plastic toolbox), but I need room in one of the cars to put it in. I know Moe was saying that space may potentially be tight in the van... is there a chance that I could ride with it on my lap or something until we meet up with someone who has extra trunk space, and then I could put it in there? I - and the secret project which shall go unnamed - would be grateful! =)

EDIT: If it helps, here's the preview:

2009-08-29223814.jpg

It should all fit in that toolbox fairly nicely, except for the clothes which I'll put in my normal bag. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • geekgrrlgeekgrrl Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    dammit, VT...guess PAX will be populated with blue engies this year. i'm going as one too. i think we even picked up the same kneepads :D unfortunately our car's gonna be tight for space, so can't help you there.

geekgrrl on
    edited August 2009
    Sorry geekgrrl! I had to at the last minute for a secret project! But we can be an engineer tag team! =)=)

VThornheart on
  • DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My bags are packed! In a little over 5 hours I will be departing to meet Moe in Cleveland to embark upon this epic journey. Though, for me, it has already begun.

I should probably get some sleep now.

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
    edited August 2009
    Let the CCST BEGIN!

My journey begins now! I'll see you all in Ohio, Wii and 4 controllers/nunchuks in hand for the awesome van! =) (They were indeed at the office Moe! =) ) See you guys soon!

VThornheart on
    edited August 2009
    Woooo! See you guys in Madison tomorrow night. Hopefully by then we'll have a mobile IRC server.

Bob Jackass on

Twitter
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    God speed, everyone. I'll see you on Friday.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
This discussion has been closed.