As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer 40k - Such is the Emperor's will.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    XenoZergie wrote: »
    I've noticed from some of the 'Nid lists posted earlier in the thread that people almost always go with Fleshborers for Gaunts. Is that just to keep the points per model down so you can have a billion of them or is there a really strong advantage over Devourers?

The 2 point strength difference generally makes up for the fewer number of shots, and it's generally better to be in charge range with gaunts. If they're hanging out at 18" they're generally going to get shot up in return. The accepted tactic is to fleet, shoot, then charge and tie a unit up until you bring something nastier in to finish the job.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Doesn't a Fleet move take place instead of shooting?

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    yup.

Gaddez on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wow, in case anyone ever plans a guard army and wants to vary their troops a bit, a word to the wise: a single cadians box will give you more than enough equipment for 4 squads of infantry if you supplement in bodies and legs from another kit.

I originally picked up a box of cadians and empire militia thinking it would get me enough for maybe a 2 or 3 squad infantry platoon. Turns out there are so many extra lasguns and special weapons in this thing that after I assembled everything I've got 32 guardies plus enough extra bodies to squeeze 4 heavy weapon teams out of a single HW team box.

Holy crap.

Jealous Deva on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    Doesn't a Fleet move take place instead of shooting?

Poorly phrased on my part.
    I meant you fleet until you're in range, shoot, then charge.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • XenoZergieXenoZergie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The 2 point strength difference generally makes up for the fewer number of shots, and it's generally better to be in charge range with gaunts. If they're hanging out at 18" they're generally going to get shot up in return. The accepted tactic is to fleet, shoot, then charge and tie a unit up until you bring something nastier in to finish the job.

Ah, okay. Makes sense. Thanks! Any suggestions on the Hive Tyrant while you're at it? Also, is it worth it to toss Adrenal Glands on the Hormagaunts and/or Flesh Hooks on any of the Gaunts or I should keep them lean as possible?

XenoZergie on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I'm on the 2nd Tanith novel. Is it wrong of me now to want all my troop special weapons to be taken up by Flamers and Meltas?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Azrael wrote: »
    Sorry to self-quote, I would really like some thoughts on this:
    Here's a draft of my 1500 pt marine list. Traits are No Mercy, No Respite, Take The Fight To Them, and Eye to Eye.

Master of Sanctity, Terminator Armour, Chainfist
    7 Assault Terminators, Furious Assault
    Land Raider Crusader

Venerable Dreadnought, Lascannon and Dreadnought CCW, Heavy Flamer, Tank Hunter, Extra Armour, smoke launcher

Dreadnought, Assault cannon and Dreadnough CCW, Heavy flamer, extra armour, smoke

10 Marines, BP/CCW, Furious assault, Meltagun, veteran sergeant with power weapon, frag grenades

10 Marines, BP/CCW, Furious assault, Meltagun, veteran sergeant with power weapon, frag grenades

Land speeder Tornado, Multi melta and Heavy flamer

I'm actually a bit over points. Not sure it's too great, I'm aiming for 2000pts and this is the stuff I have so far. 2 Dreads and a Raider might be a bit much for 1500 points.

EDIT: Also, I'm trying to research the old SM dreadnought design. You know, the rogue trader edition ones which looked like bipedal cats or something? Can anyone point me to some pictures of them?

Should I maybe drop an attack on each of the squads for a multi melta? Maybe I wont use it too much, but it could be the end of the odd tank here and there.

Well, off the bat I see some ways to cut some points to get to 1500. Drop the heavy flamer from the ven. dread because you'll be shooting at tanks anyway. You could also drop the smoke launcher because you'll probably always be in range of a tank or something to shoot at. The tank hunter skill seems a bit over kill, but that's just me.

Right now you have 32 models in your army. That seems like a pretty small number for a 1500 point marine force. I can see where you're going with the force, though. Something of a small, heavy hitting assault force, I take it? The one problem with this right now is that 90% of your force is foot slogging across the board. Those 20 tactical marines are going to be pretty much the only non-vehicle units on the board, so they'll probably take a ton of fire even before you reach assault range.

You also have a lot of points tied up in 3 vehicles (~550). I'd recommend maybe dropping one of the dreads and getting some rhinos for your marines. I'd also recommend getting rid of the assault terminators in favor or more regular marines. That way you can drop the crusader, too, and save yourself a ton of points. However, I can understand why you'd want to keep them as they're a seriously killy unit.

But really, the main problem is the foot slogging marines. With so few models, they're bound to get blown away before they get across the board.

Anime Owns on
  • AzraelAzrael Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think it will look better with a 500 point addition of Assault marines and a bulked out landspeeder squadron. Maybe a Vindicator to put the frightners on people and take some fire from the other vehicles. Also there's Codex Apocalypse coming soon.

Azrael on
  • HektorHektor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Gigglio wrote: »
    Here's a draft of my 1500 pt marine list. Traits are No Mercy, No Respite, Take The Fight To Them, and Eye to Eye.

Land Raider Crusader

Venerable Dreadnought, Lascannon and Dreadnought CCW, Heavy Flamer, Tank Hunter, Extra Armour, smoke launcher

Dreadnought, Assault cannon and Dreadnough CCW, Heavy flamer, extra armour, smoke

I'm actually a bit over points. Not sure it's too great, I'm aiming for 2000pts and this is the stuff I have so far. 2 Dreads and a Raider might be a bit much for 1500 points.

EDIT: Also, I'm trying to research the old SM dreadnought design. You know, the rogue trader edition ones which looked like bipedal cats or something? Can anyone point me to some pictures of them?

Should I maybe drop an attack on each of the squads for a multi melta? Maybe I wont use it too much, but it could be the end of the odd tank here and there.

Well, off the bat I see some ways to cut some points to get to 1500. Drop the heavy flamer from the ven. dread because you'll be shooting at tanks anyway. You could also drop the smoke launcher because you'll probably always be in range of a tank or something to shoot at. The tank hunter skill seems a bit over kill, but that's just me.

Right now you have 32 models in your army. That seems like a pretty small number for a 1500 point marine force. I can see where you're going with the force, though. Something of a small, heavy hitting assault force, I take it? The one problem with this right now is that 90% of your force is foot slogging across the board. Those 20 tactical marines are going to be pretty much the only non-vehicle units on the board, so they'll probably take a ton of fire even before you reach assault range.

You also have a lot of points tied up in 3 vehicles (~550). I'd recommend maybe dropping one of the dreads and getting some rhinos for your marines. I'd also recommend getting rid of the assault terminators in favor or more regular marines. That way you can drop the crusader, too, and save yourself a ton of points. However, I can understand why you'd want to keep them as they're a seriously killy unit.

But really, the main problem is the foot slogging marines. With so few models, they're bound to get blown away before they get across the board.

gigglio summed up what i spend five minutes typing then deleting.

you'll face a similar problem to what i have had- your marines can get popped all too easily and your few vehicles will either take out too few models or just be a big expensive target.

More Wounds on the Table = more chaces at having scoring units at the end of the game. I've found that cheap and expendable beats expensive and heavy hitting any day.

though in the end it depends on who you're fighting. those dread's might fly against other marines, but fight just about any one else and their consentrated, high Strength shots will just be wasted.

more six siders, always look to roll more six siders per turn.

Hektor on
    final.gifDG-1.png
    Morskittar wrote:
    With as much gusto and enthusiasm I can muster: fuck tourney-legal! Tournaments are for Magic players, furries, and child molesters.
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I'm on the 2nd Tanith novel. Is it wrong of me now to want all my troop special weapons to be taken up by Flamers and Meltas?

Yes. Guard are so badass in these books.

Until a marine comes along and the you see the guard WEEP in awe.

Then a Chaos marine comes along and the weak cant even stand due to the HORROR and MAJESTY.

Sharp101 on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sharp101 wrote: »

Yes. Guard are so badass in these books.

Until a marine comes along and the you see the guard WEEP in awe.

Then a Chaos marine comes along and the weak cant even stand due to the HORROR and MAJESTY.

And then Gaunt simply cut's the bastard's head off with his chain sword. :)

So I'm seriously just going to take meltas in my SM squads too just because I like the style of the weapon. My experience with Plasmaguns sucks very badly. I always seem to roll a one on the first shot. I know Meltas are very close range but I'll take the chance just for the coolness of the gun.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Meltas are awesome. I never have at least two IG squads without 'em.

Multimeltas, however, I've never been particularly impressed with. Well, vehicle mounts aside.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Ok, from the top:

Land Raider Crusader

Ok first things first, I don't think I'd bother with upgrading to a Master of Sanctity and spending +15 pts for just 1 leadership and 1 wound when a Reclusiarch will do most of the things he does just as well.

Also ditch the chainfist. You absolutely do not want your Chaplain going at 1 I. Just keep the free power weapon and take another one. The reason for this is that if the chaplain goes at I1 he has a very real risk of dieing before anyone can touch him, as he always counts as an independant character. You want him to use that I5 to hopefully kill most of the enemies in base to base contact with him before they get a chance to hit him. Save the power fists for squad leaders who have a whole squad to take close combat wounds for them.

Also are you really planning on walking a chaplain leading a squad of 7 terminators with no anti tank weaponry to speak of up to a tank and banging on the side hatches? Even if you kill it you're using a unit that costs upwards of 400 points to kill one that probably barely cost 150 to 200. If you aren't planning on doing this then why in the world are you taking a chainfist?

Also drop 2 of the assault terminators, you don't really need more than 5 or so in a squad, especially with a chaplain leading them.

Finally, keep that crusader model for when you are doing a 3000 pt battle, but drop it from your 1500-2000 pt list. Deep strike the terminators instead, and spend those points on predators, land speeders, etc. 2 predators, one kitted out for anti-infantry and one kitted out for anti-tank, are a much better investment than one land raider who can only do one role at a time anyway.

Rule 1: every unit should have a role and purpose, and stick to it. Why in the world would you have a ccw and heavy flamer on a dread that's clearly intended for tankbusting? Give it a missile launcher instead and almost double its tank hunting power.

The other Dread looks fine, I'd consider taking drop pods for it to get it up to enemy lines quickly though. Expensive, but not as expensive as having your dread torched by a lascannon 4 feet away from the enemy lines.

Also, I might make the CC dread the venerable one as it's the one that has to be actually out there in the open.

Your current setup is costing 450 pts for 2 squads of marines with no transports

Lets try something else and see if you like it a bit better:

6 marines, BP/CCW, Furious assault, Meltagun, Vet sergeant with power FIST, frag grenades
    6 marines, BP/CCW, Furious assault, Meltagun, Vet sergeant with power FIST, frag grenades

5 points less, 2 less warm bodies, 1 more power fist, 1 more meltagun

Now, lets take the 350 pts or so we saved from dropping 2 assault terminators and a land raider crusader above, and add:

4 rhino transports with smoke launcher, extra armor.

So now you've got 4 more marines, twice as many vet sergeants, twice as many meltaguns, and your marines will actually make it to combat rather than dieing to fire as they walk along the field. Notice the power fists also. Squads like this are where power fists belong, that vet sergeant has 5 wounds the enemy has to punch through before they get to him in cc, the only time he doesn't get a hit in is if the enemy wipes the entire squad first round, unlike an independant char who only needs to drop 2 or 3 wounds to bad rolls before he's out.

Its never that good of an idea to rely on one multimelta to kill tanks in fast units, you should really try to squeeze in another tornado if you're going to use one at all. It'll save you a lot of headaches.

My list for you at 1500 would be as follows, keeping the same general theme and idea:

Reclusiarch: Crozius/PW, Terminator armor - 125 pts
    5 Assault Terminators w/ furious assault - 215 pts

Dread w/ lascannon, missile launcher, smoke, EA - 143 pts
    Venerable dread w/ CCW, Flamer, AssCannon, smoke, EA, drop pods - 173 pts

6 marines, BP/CCW, Furious assault, Meltagun, Vet sergeant with power fist, frag grenades, melta bomb(sergeant only) - 153
    Rhino w/ smoke, EA - 58
    x4

I think that comes out to 1500 exactly.

Jealous Deva on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    So I grabbed one of those new Eldar HQ dealy dudes to paint up and slap on Ebay.

But I dont know anything about eldar. I know I want to paint him up in Red like the Wave Serpent I painted up for a contest I did a while ago, since I'm putting them on Ebay at the same time.

Now, I grabbed the blister that has a Chainsword, Splinter Pistol or Fusion gun, and a Warp Spider backback thing.

Should I just assemble him with the fusion blaster and Warp Spider pack? Do most people use that? Can the Red Eldar peoples use that? (is it Saim-Hann or Altansar, does it matter?)

12" move speed with a fusion gun? Yes, please. That is a good setup.

And yeah, Saim-Hann.

Shorty on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, I field mine with a fusion gun and stick him in a squad of Spiders, if only because I don't to risk losing him if I do a second jump.

So far, he's proven himself to be totally awesome at tankbusting, and having a crapload of S6 Assault shots to back him up makes it so much awesomer.

In three games, he's killed two falcons, a fireprism, a predator, a vindicator and one and a half dreads.

Not to mention that, apparently, he took a hint from the DA codex and always carries a pistol with him, so he can make his full attacks.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited March 2007

Ah, okay. Makes sense. Thanks! Any suggestions on the Hive Tyrant while you're at it? Also, is it worth it to toss Adrenal Glands on the Hormagaunts and/or Flesh Hooks on any of the Gaunts or I should keep them lean as possible?

On gaunts, I give adrenal glands a pass. They're good enough as is for the kinds of targets you should be throwing them at. Flesh hooks are almost always a good idea, because it's a general inevitability that your opponents will be taking up positions in cover.

I'm undecided about the Warp field for the Hive Tyrant at this point. Flying Tyrants are much better CC monsters than shooters, so people tend towards 2x Scything Talons. The next time I play, I'm going to try running my Flyrant with Psychic Scream and Toxic Miasma, and see how it works. The best philosophy for 'nids is keep everything as streamlined as possible. There's a rule for IG that also pretty much applies here too. With the right doctrines and equipment, you can upgrade a Guardsman so they pretty much have a Space Marine statline. However, that's going to make each Guardsman more expensive to field than a marine, and that's bad.

For example, the Tyrant already has an excellent WS, and Initiative, so you can skip the Adrenal Glands. Bioplasma can be a bad idea on Monstrous Creatures, because when you charge in, there's a good chance you'll only be in contact with one model at the start. If Bioplasma kills that one model, then you're going to lose all the rest of your attacks when you reach your regular intiative. A MC already counts for ten models in combat resolution, so Symbiote rippers don't amount to much. Flesh hooks are good on any unit you intend to use for CC, and the extra strength from Toxin sacs is a much better buy for a Tyrant than a carnifex.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Does anyone here actually own one of the Forgeworld Books? I'm really really curious as to what is in them and what the rules are like and if they all have bits of different armies or what.

Someone here must have one.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I want to get a walking Hive Tyrant next with a full contingent of Guards around him.

Before I do, is there any truth to the rumor that they are making new guard models?

Also, what is the best config. for this walking Hive Tyrant in your opinions?

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

edited March 2007
    trentsteel wrote: »
    Does anyone here actually own one of the Forgeworld Books? I'm really really curious as to what is in them and what the rules are like and if they all have bits of different armies or what.

Someone here must have one.

I own 1 & 4, but they're in America and out of my hands for another week.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have electronic copies of Imperial Armor I & II. They have all the rules for Super Heavy Tanks in them. My copies are somewhat outdated though, because for some reason the Wave Serpent is in the Eldar portion.

Shorty on
    edited March 2007
    WHY wrote: »
    Yeah, I field mine with a fusion gun and stick him in a squad of Spiders, if only because I don't to risk losing him if I do a second jump.

So far, he's proven himself to be totally awesome at tankbusting, and having a crapload of S6 Assault shots to back him up makes it so much awesomer.

In three games, he's killed two falcons, a fireprism, a predator, a vindicator and one and a half dreads.

Not to mention that, apparently, he took a hint from the DA codex and always carries a pistol with him, so he can make his full attacks.

Yeah, shuriken pistols are standard wargear on autarchs. That is one of the reasons they are so fucking badass.

"Here, let me just warp all over the damn place melting tanks. Oh, then I'll join this squad of Scorpions and put out a bunch of S4 attacks. It'll be fun."

Shorty on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Out of curiosity, is WH40k:Epic and Battlefleet Gothic something that GW still supports or is new content on the backburner?

Silpheed on
    edited March 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, is WH40k:Epic and Battlefleet Gothic something that GW still supports or is new content on the backburner?

Not sure about Epic but GW just released an updated version of the BFG rule book both for sale and for download from its website. Site
    Definitely worth a check even if you only play a few games with proxies.

Librarian's ghost on

edited March 2007
    Specialist games are no long in current production. They aren't completely ignored, as the new rules for BFG shows, but they aren't a current and supported rule system. Whatever models are available from the GW store (or what you can find on Ebay) is all that there is to have.

And Shorty, what you have the PDF for is the 3rd Edition Imperial Armor books. Ask me around next Sunday, and I'll be able to tell you what the difference is between the 3rd and 4th editions.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Specialist games are no long in current production. They aren't completely ignored, as the new rules for BFG shows, but they aren't a current and supported rule system. Whatever models are available from the GW store (or what you can find on Ebay) is all that there is to have.
    I see. I got my hands on the old BF:G rule book and I know that I'd kill for a computer game version of it.

Silpheed on
  • XenoZergieXenoZergie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Flesh Hooks for Gaunts, but not Adrenal Glands.

2x Scything Talons on Flyrants. Don't know about Warp Field. Psychic Scream and Toxic Miasma may work. Keep 'Nids lean and mean.

No Adrenal Glands on Tyrants. No Bioplasma or Symbiote Rippers on MC's. Flesh Hooks on all your CC, and Toxin Sacs are better on Tyrants than 'Fexes.

That about sums everything up, right?

I was thinking about Scything Talons + Bone Sword on the Flyrant. I know the Bone Sword/Lash Whip combo isn't very good gameplay-wise, but IMO it looks awesome. If I'm going to be seeing my Flyrant every game, I want him to have a little bit of style.

Also, I can't get to my Codex at the moment so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it says that the Catalyst effect from the Bone Sword extends to the entire closest brood. Doesn't the Catalyst ability itself normally only affect one model? That would make the Bone Sword version many times better.

XenoZergie on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hey guys,

I'm thinking of doing a painting blog today on the fourms.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=1134918&posted=1#post1134918

Sharp101 on
  • Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I know I've jerked around a bit before asking about Legos, but one of my friends just inherited the Tyranid half of the Battle for Maccrage box set, and we've arranged for a game to be played. My Lego Space Marines vs his 'nids.

So, I've played a couple times so I have a general understanding of the rules, but I've never so much as seen a Tyranid unit in person before. They're a mass-race right? Mostly close-quarters? What kind of 500pt list should I put together? I can fill in the details if you'd suggest a general theme - rapid fire, assault weapons, etc.

EDIT: I bought the marine codex - so I am putting at least a LITTLE bit of money into the game.

Legoman05 on
  • ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    I see. I got my hands on the old BF:G rule book and I know that I'd kill for a computer game version of it.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=13292

ElderCat on
    DO3O00C.png
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    A BFG computer game would be awesome because you could have simultaneous turns.

Accidental collisions!

SUPERSUGA on
  • Lord BaelzebubLord Baelzebub Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well well well this is where all of the "Cool" 40K players have been hiding!

Lego, first of all do you have the Tyranid Codex or a reasonable facsimile of one?

In the battle of macragge from what I understand there are only genestealer models. if this is teh case I would go with an all genestealer army and convert one genestealer to be a brood lord.
    No guns for you in this army but with the proper upgrades on those 'stealers (Extended Carapace, Toxin Sacs) you will defeat the poor walking Lego Marines...

Trentsteel might have some interesting ideas for you in teh future as well.

Lord Baelzebub on
  • Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hmm, I think I may have mis-typed.

I'll be the one fielding the Lego Space Marine force of Doom. I need a Space Marine list that will tear the 'Nids to peices.

Though, it looks like from the boxed set, it looks like he would only have 10 Termagaunts, 6 Genestealers, and 8 spore mines. I'll have to check if he has enough models to make a 500-point army.

I was thinking one sniper team to pick off a fair number of his cheap dudes a turn - and simultaneously force him to come to me so I didn't have to deal with the spore mines, since they could pick his units off from the other side of the table.

I'd also field two teams with rapid-fire bolters, and then maybe a dread for some AOE goodness.

Legoman05 on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Legoman05 wrote: »
    we've arranged for a game to be played. My Lego Space Marines vs his 'nids.

Just to clarify for Baelzebub.

Yes, Lego, they're a massed race with not too many guns (although Termagaunts will have S4 BS3 weaponry). Adopting shooting-intensive should go well, as they're not terribly tough or armored. Equip some missiles and heavy bolters, grab some open line of sight, focus your fire on eliminating whole squads and keep the genestealers away from charging you.

It'll include 8 Hormagaunts in addition to 6 stealers and 10 termagaunts. I threw in three Warriors and a box of 16 gaunts bought on clearance and had myself a 500-point list. Gets the shit kicked out of it vs my Marines but it was good paint practice.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited March 2007
    God damn work and school. I really want to finish up painting Librarian Bauer for my Dark Angels but I have 9 questions left on my Math homework that's due tomorrow. Some of you would say 9 questions isn't alot, but each question requires about 2 pages of work before and answer is "possibly" reached.

Librarian's ghost on

edited March 2007
    Ah Merci and thank you for the clarification.
    Well I do play Blood Angels Marines myself (To see my Undead Blood Angels in action,I believe that Trentsteel did a battle report with the loser getting socked with a Sega Genesis) so I do know a tad about them.
    I can only give you tactics right now since I do not have my codex with me.

1) Boltguns are your friends :)

2) Watch out for Genestealers.

3) If you are not in cover when the Genestealers charge you see 2)

4) Stay in cover and shoot at the genestealers until they are meat.

Lord Baelzebub on
    edited March 2007
    Flesh Hooks for Gaunts, but not Adrenal Glands.

2x Scything Talons on Flyrants. Don't know about Warp Field. Psychic Scream and Toxic Miasma may work. Keep 'Nids lean and mean.

No Adrenal Glands on Tyrants. No Bioplasma or Symbiote Rippers on MC's. Flesh Hooks on all your CC, and Toxin Sacs are better on Tyrants than 'Fexes.

That about sums everything up, right?

I was thinking about Scything Talons + Bone Sword on the Flyrant. I know the Bone Sword/Lash Whip combo isn't very good gameplay-wise, but IMO it looks awesome. If I'm going to be seeing my Flyrant every game, I want him to have a little bit of style.

Also, I can't get to my Codex at the moment so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it says that the Catalyst effect from the Bone Sword extends to the entire closest brood. Doesn't the Catalyst ability itself normally only affect one model? That would make the Bone Sword version many times better.
    Catalyst affects one unit within 24" of the Tyrant (or whatever is using the power). With the bonesword, if you pass a psychic test at the start of the assault phase, it affects every unit within 6" with the Catalyst power.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • AzraelAzrael Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    With my close-combat marines, does anyone think flamers will be better than meltaguns for them? I guess it's okay if they have a powerfist to commit themselves to charging a vehicle if it survives, or not at all, but maybe the flamer will be more useful. Either fits my army theme (besides being very devout and liking to burn things, their name is the Dragon Saints/Templars)

Azrael on
    edited March 2007
    It greatly depends on your opponent. Flamers work well for weak, tightly-packed units, while Meltas are better suited to tough targets with high toughness and armor. If you were equipping an army with a low BS, I'd say flamers all the way.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited March 2007
    Assault Weapons are a tricky option for Tactical squads I find.
    The way we play around the group is to try and not tailor your army too much to fighting a certain way.
    My favourite all around Squad for my Undead Blood Angels is 6-7 Marines with a Plasma Gun and Vet Sargeant with Power Weapon (sometimes I put them into my land speeder transport but that will be somewhere else). I have been experimenting with this squad and giving the sargeant a MC plasma pistol and putting them in a rhino.
    It gives 3 shots of hot plasma death out the top of the rhino and that can't be bad.
    If the Plasma Gunner dies then heck you got yourself a 5 man squad just begging for Hand to Hand Combat.

Since plasma works well against everyone I prefer this...but I do have the options to have flamers too because I find taht a flmaer is even useful against a squad of marines.

Lord Baelzebub on
This discussion has been closed.