As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] HandHeld Tournies VHAT DO YOU VHANT?!

2»

• Options
    jbillerjbiller Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    I'm very interested in the rules for this tourny, since preperation is 50% of the work for the damn game. This isn't something that can just be made up as we go. EV training and chain breeding isn't something that can be done on site for a tourny with random rules.

I'd highly suggest using PBR so we can easily implement Sleep and Freeze clause, plus people love to watch those Pokemans fight. My ideal rule set would be:

-Level 50 (auto leveling using PBR)
    -Sleep Clause
    -Freeze Clause
    -Evasion Clause
    -Singles, 6v6
    -Double Elimination tourny format, single battles to keep things moving at a quick pace.
    -NO ITEM CLAUSE (Hasn't been a big issue since Advanced when only lefties and a few berries were useful)

Banned List:
    • Arceus
    • Darkrai
    • Deoxys (all forms)
    • Dialga
    • Garchomp
    • Giratina
    • Groudon
    • Ho-oh
    • Kyogre
    • Latias
    • Latios
    • Lugia
    • Manaphy
    • Mew
    • Mewtwo
    • Palkia
    • Rayquaza
    • Rotom Forms
    • Shaymin - Sky Form
    • Wobbuffet

Have people register their team of 6 with their move sets and items and let the battles begin. No team changing between rounds.

My only concern would be with hack checking, specifically IVs and stats of the participating Pokemon. We might need to have people write down the stats of their Pokemon when registering their teams and do a quick check to see if they're legit.

jbiller on
  • Options
    Blackfox138Blackfox138 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You mean you don't already have a team made for past tourneys or just random wifi?

My comments on that last purposed rule set. I hated the VGC one when I was competing, I still hate it now.

PBR almost looks expected now... auto level is very nice, esp since wifi at the con will be VERY spotty (from experience) Will we have multiple TV's/wii's or just one? One may take too long... >.>

I like double elimination, then the five hour tourney makes since :P

Singles, YES. I know doubles is still usable, I just don't like it :P 6v6? YES. 3v3 is way too short, even for double elimination.

I like how your ban list doesn't even use the one from Smogon. Legendary =/= banned. Latias is OU now. I like my Latias D:< I guess it makes since to ban Rotom formes since not everyone has plat. I don't even know if Rotom formes work on PBR... >.> Original Rotom should still be usable... You forgot Giratina-O/Origine forme in the banned list :P

Do you know how much extra work it would be to check EVERY single pokemon on every single entry? 31 in all IV's are doable, annoying to get though. PBR will check to make sure that the stats are possible. Why make more work for the staff/make the tourney take longer to start.

Please include:

OHKO clause
    I know it isn't too common, but to keep the little kiddies from using it.

No "Hax" Items
    - Brightpowder
    - Quick Claw
    - Focus Band
    - King's Rock

Same idea as evasion clause, why turn this into a luck and chance game, hrm?

Self-KO Clause
    This mostly only applies to tournaments. It's used to break ties. If both players are down to their last Pokemon and one uses a move that kills itself, such as Explosion, Self-Destruct, Destiny Bond, or Memento, the trainer who used that move is considered the loser in the match.

As if I really want to redo a match just because it ended as a tie... really now?

Species Clause, why wasn't this mentioned? I do NOT want to see more than one of a pokemon on the same team. If I killed it once, it WILL stay dead, errr... fainted... >.>

Ideas on viewing other battles? It gives a serious advantage to the one player to view the battles of their next opponent: MS, team, items, etc.

Wow... wall of text much? Again, these are just my thoughts on the matter. If the higher ups decide on something else then that's what we have to deal with. :P

I plan on entering TWEWY and MK, but I'm not expecting as much from those from myself as I am with Pokemon XD

Blackfox138 on
  • Options
    FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    PBR almost looks expected now... auto level is very nice, esp since wifi at the con will be VERY spotty (from experience) Will we have multiple TV's/wii's or just one? One may take too long... >.>
    This depends on how many people compete. If we have, say, only ten contestants, then we could probably do fine with just one TV.
    Do you know how much extra work it would be to check EVERY single pokemon on every single entry? 31 in all IV's are doable, annoying to get though. PBR will check to make sure that the stats are possible. Why make more work for the staff/make the tourney take longer to start.
    Agreed. I've gotten some nice 31s (not all IVs, mind you) from breeding (and way too much time on my hands). If it's on PBR, the Bad Egg will show us who the bad egg is.
    No "Hax" Items
    - Brightpowder
    - Quick Claw
    - Focus Band
    - King's Rock

Same idea as evasion clause, why turn this into a luck and chance game, hrm?
    Sorry, but these are lame. In my opinion, part of the fun of battling is the chance and unexpected outcomes. And it's easy to anticipate and counter these strategies if you know what your doing.

Self-KO Clause
    This mostly only applies to tournaments. It's used to break ties. If both players are down to their last Pokemon and one uses a move that kills itself, such as Explosion, Self-Destruct, Destiny Bond, or Memento, the trainer who used that move is considered the loser in the match

As if I really want to redo a match just because it ended as a tie... really now?
    Agreed. We don't need bitter asshats ruining the fun.
    Ideas on viewing other battles? It gives a serious advantage to the one player to view the battles of their next opponent: MS, team, items, etc.
    If it's gonna be on PBR, there's really not much you can do on that front. The only way to make it as equal as possible for everyone is to have your teams signed up on paper first before anyone battles. That way, nobody can make any changes to their teams as they watch battles.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hrm, if you're ok with "hax items" does that mean you're leaving the evasion clause in? I don't mind spamming double team for an entire match, I just hate doing it... no skill = no fun :P It feels more like "Let's flip a coin to find a winner!"

I like how we're making this super complicated even though it's just a for fun tourney XD

I really don't care what the rules are, it'd just be nice to know what to expect... >.>

Blackfox138 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    No evasion clause. There's lots of Pokémon that can learn Aerial Ace or Faint Attack. It's also just as easy to reduce evasion with Sweet Scent or Defog.

Also, I kinda agree that having to mess with rules in the first place is somewhat unecessary. It's like Smash Bros. nerds who like to make you turn off items or prohibit certain battlefields for fighting on. Takes all the fun out of it.

Honestly, all I care about is no duplicate Pokémon/items and that all Pokémon be leveled evenly. I run a little private league at work and we even use legendaries. Frankly, I hate excluding Pokémon. We should be able to use them all regardless of status. Game Freak wouldn't have put them in there if they weren't meant to be used.

But yeah, I'll be happy with whatever we decide on. Just let us know what the rules are within the next two weeks so we have enough time to prepare.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    No evasion clause. There's lots of Pokémon that can learn Aerial Ace or Faint Attack. It's also just as easy to reduce evasion with Sweet Scent or Defog.

Except why would you waste a move on SS or Defog just for a situational purpose, and without them and Evasion Clause off, DT and max out evasion and you've got a horridly long match going on. And what about the ones that don't have AA or Faint Attack? They aren't too common of moves when compared to EQ and Ice Beam. You end up flipping a coin, a weighted one mind you, just to be able to attack.
    Also, I kinda agree that having to mess with rules in the first place is somewhat unecessary. It's like Smash Bros. nerds who like to make you turn off items or prohibit certain battlefields for fighting on. Takes all the fun out of it.

Agree'd, I guess I'm just too used to my own online community and their rules XD and I am one of those people who prohibit certain battlefields and make sure items are off... >.> can't count the number of times Pokefloats or Big Blue have screwed me over... >.>
    Honestly, all I care about is no duplicate Pokémon/items and that all Pokémon be leveled evenly. I run a little private league at work and we even use legendaries. Frankly, I hate excluding Pokémon. We should be able to use them all regardless of status. Game Freak wouldn't have put them in there if they weren't meant to be used.

Except that some pokemon are CLEARLY better than others. If we don't restrict the list, it WILL be the teams with legendaries that will make it to the final round for sure. Their base stats and move pools are much better than almost everything else. That's why most of them are banned in official tourneys.

Again, I will deal with whatever rules are given, I'm just bored and feel like arguing/responding :P I will gladly take this into PM's if it gets too out of hand XD

Blackfox138 on
  • Options
    gridgrid Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am guessing I would like the idea of a "Puzzle Game Bonanza". What was the general concept?

Also, I'm collecting a list of games for the iPhone that can be played multiplayer. Anyone else excited about playing iPhone games?

grid on
    dev blog: http://chesstris.com/
    iPhone game: ActionChess
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Except that some pokemon are CLEARLY better than others. If we don't restrict the list, it WILL be the teams with legendaries that will make it to the final round for sure. Their base stats and move pools are much better than almost everything else. That's why most of them are banned in official tourneys.
    I never said to restrict the list for the PAX competition. I was just giving my opinion on it. And I could split hairs about which Pokémon are "clearly" better, but that's digressing.

Anyway, if someone in charge could lay out the official ground rules, I'd be obliged. I haven't seen anything in this thread that says this is a solid thing yet.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    aside from the fact it's on the schedule?
    yeah, it's going to happen.
    guidelines for all tournaments are being hashed out.

Scoots on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I never said to restrict the list for the PAX competition. I was just giving my opinion on it. And I could split hairs about which Pokémon are "clearly" better, but that's digressing.
    Frankly, I hate excluding Pokémon. We should be able to use them all regardless of status. Game Freak wouldn't have put them in there if they weren't meant to be used.

This is what I was commenting on. I don't know if you're aware, but Smogon, (www.smogon.com) has tiered all pokemon based on base stats, movepools, usefulness, etc. If we ban ubers, then that leaves a much larger selection pool than if we allowed them. The tourney will be more diverse. pokemon wise.

Not arguing... really, I'm not... >.>

Blackfox138 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm well aware of Smogon. But at the same time, I'm also against just depending solely on what a website tells me to use. I realize they've got nightmarish strategies and they have this huge following, but where's the fun in just following directions? I'd rather come up with my own teams and strategies, so I stay away from Smogon. If I make mistakes, I learn from them. If I run up against good players, I can learn from them too. Where's the fun in just copying others?
    Scoots wrote: »
    aside from the fact it's on the schedule?
    yeah, it's going to happen.
    guidelines for all tournaments are being hashed out.
    Cool. Thanks.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I wasn't implying that smogon > life or anything like that. I hardly use it as well; maybe just to see what a pogey excels at and what moves it learns. I don't believe that I was telling you to go look up movesets or anything like that, I was using it as a reference point for what to ban in order to keep the tourney diverse. No on likes to see the same team over and over.

Blackfox138 on
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I know you said 'soon', but can you give us a rough idea what the rules are for the Puzzle Quest tourney? I need to know if I have time to prepare, especially if I need to level up a char before PAX.

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    darren66 wrote: »
    I know you said 'soon', but can you give us a rough idea what the rules are for the Puzzle Quest tourney? I need to know if I have time to prepare, especially if I need to level up a char before PAX.

Seriously, if you tell us 1 week before the tourney that we need a LvL50 char, don't be surprised if no-one shows up.

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
This discussion has been closed.