As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Minecraft! The last craft you'll ever need!

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man that castle was magnificent.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Marsh's castle? Yeah it was.

Pity it didn't last longer : (

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Whoa hey now what the hell do you mean Marsh's castle? Unless you do mean his marsh statue.

I am talking about the big one, that I designed and spent waay too much time working on. Well, I designed the walls, towers, arboretum and throne room/meeting hall and the balcony in the chapel

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Marsh hosted it : (

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    it was a lot of people's castle

does anyone have it

redfenix on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Marsh hosted the hell out of that castle

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Marsh might have it, I tried saving it myself but it didn't work.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Marsh might have it, I tried saving it myself but it didn't work.

same

redfenix on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I might have that castle saved guys

Let me check

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If it had more time, my trojan mongorian moose would have destroyed your castle

How do you kill things in survival? Channel lava underneath them?

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well, the good news is that Minecraft has sounds and soothing music and shit

The bad news is that any savefiles from the previous version seem to be gone

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    My map in the OP works....

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    No one's copy of the giant castle seems to work

I don't really want to play Minecraft again, anyway. Last time I just ended up really unhappy with a lot of people

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Oh yeah, you couldn't save MP maps on your own account.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fabricate wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I don't like how quickly notch moved from having some fun concept free on the web to trying to turn a profit. Its like Oh snap, people are actually interested! I have 5,000 people log in! Yep! Time to cash in now!

It's more like " a lot of people enjoy this and want me to implement more stuff but that will take a lot of time and effort so it would be nice if I could get compensation" imo

And this is also very true, since a shit ton of pre orders flooded in, notch changed his work schedule and is now dedicating 3 days a week to just working on minecraft.

And there are going to be bows, swords, and armor to help you combat zombies and pigs.

How it would work so far is that you gather ore, and then use it to create your weapons and armor, the type of ore depends on how strong your weapon is.

I'll try to find the post on it.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    And I found the neat block chart, spiffy.
    Blocksandblocks.png

There we go

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh cool, a red x. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Notch wrote: »
    When generating a new level or loading a creative mode level, you also select a difficulty. Difficulty levels will probably vary from “challenging” to “impossible”, since I want the game to be difficult. If it’s not fun to always be challenged, I’ll add easier difficulties.

At the bottom of the game screen, you’ll have an inventory list and a health bar. Selecting things from the inventory list will work pretty much like it does now, you can use the scroll wheel, or press buttons directly.

Construction:

You’ll start out with just a pickaxe in your inventory, and possibly some seeds. Selecting the pickaxe and clicking on a tile will destroy it, but different tiles will take differently long to remove. Stone will be tougher than dirt, and so. Either way, the delay won’t be long. Perhaps one full second for stone.

When you destroy a block, most blocks will release resources. In the case of stone, they will spawn small stone blocks. You can pick these up by walking over them if you’ve got an empty inventory slot, or a slot with the same resource type in it, up to some certain maximum.

To build, just select a slot with a tile resource in it, and click in the world as you do now. There will be no delay on building, only on breaking blocks, but it balances out since you have to get the resouce to be able to build in the first place.

No block tile will produce more than one resource of the same time, as that would allow you to farm a single rock tile over and over. The exception to this is wood, which will produce several plan resources. You can never directly build wood, but if you plant seeds on grass, you get a small plant. After some time, the plant will pop into a large beautiful tree.

Combat and health:

There will be hostile mobs roaming the map. Goblins, trolls, wolves, whatever fits. They will be blocky. ;)

To attack a monster, select a pickaxe or a sword, and simply click the monster like you would a tile. Each click damages the monster (with a minimum time between clicks, perhaps 250 ms), and once the health is gone, it’s dead.

You can also push monsters by walking into them. Both you and the monster will be shoved away from each other. This should let you push goblins into firery lava pits of doom.

Monsters will hurt you and take away from your health.
    The only way to regain health is to eat food.
    You get food from either hunting or from farming.

Tools and equipment:

There will be very basic crafting.
    Two types of swords, two types of armor, two types of helmets. The basic versions require iron. The advanced versions require steel, which you make by combining iron and coal.
    Carrying swords, armor or helmets take up inventory slots, but otherwise have no penalty and work pretty much as you expect (prevent some damage, or cause more damage)

I haven’t fully solved how crafting should work in detail. I’ll do that once I get there in development.

Bows and arrows can be made out of wood. To use it, select the bow from your inventory and make sure you’ve got some arrows. Click in front of you, and an arrow goes flying using real physics.
    To actually HIT something, aim above it.

It'll go a little something like that, and along with LUA scripting, you can modify the game however the fuck you like, want more shit, want shit to be different? go for it.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hmm. What an interesting game.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also, I watched the newest video preview for survival mode and it's coming along nicely. All he needs to do now is implement crafting weapons and such and it will be ready to test drive on Sep. 1st (at least I think so, it wouldn't be fun to play with it without some sort of weapons)

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    You can just fire arrows magically by pressing a button for the Survival test, its more on testing what he has so far to make sure its parcheesy, along with anything added within the week.

But crafting will definitely be in there at some point, so don't worry your creepy fucking head Darmac'n'cheese.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So no multiplayer at the moment? I may just wait on it.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited August 2009
    Dubh wrote: »

There is Multiplayer creator mode, but survival multiplayer wont be up till after september, the pre-order survival test if for 3 weeks in september, starting on the first.

It should still be 50% off [9.95euros] a while after public release of survival and multiplayer.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    No one's copy of the giant castle seems to work

I don't really want to play Minecraft again, anyway. Last time I just ended up really unhappy with a lot of people

Because of the vandalism?

I just don't want to play again because all I did was play it for days. I just played it and sunk so much time into it. so much time. I can't afford to play games that do that to me.

edit:Wait he is going to charge $40 for it at full release? No wonder I was so against paying.

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Dubh wrote: »

There is Multiplayer creator mode, but survival multiplayer wont be up till after september, the pre-order survival test if for 3 weeks in september, starting on the first.

It should still be 50% off [9.95euros] a while after public release of survival and multiplayer.

I was playing the online version. Holy shit, I'm having a lot of fun just building towers and jumping off of them. A good multiplayer building project would rock my socks off.

Jesus, a planned capture the flag mood too. I need to buy this.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm gonna create an MMO about running a fabric store and it's gonna be called CraftCraft.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Mission Accomplished

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Gonna make an mmo about starting a crime organization and running it from rags to riches.

call it Crimecraft

edit: FUCK

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Castle pictures ho:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

lavawaterfall.jpg

edit: These were early construction pictures, we had a lot more work I never recorded. Although someone took at least one more screenshot of a building that was made later

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The Geek wrote: »
    I'm gonna create an MMO about running a fabric store and it's gonna be called CraftCraft.

Then I'm gonna make an MMO about making macaroni and cheese and it's gonna be called KraftCraft.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    holy fuck, Artreus

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited August 2009
    acquisitions.png

WATERWOOOORLD.png

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    We had the raddest fucking lava moat... Man I want to play again now and build another massive SE++ castle.

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Then I'm gonna make an MMO about making macaroni and cheese and it's gonna be called KraftCraft.

Then I'm gonna make an MMO about producing Saturday morning children's programming that prominently features people in full-body puppet costumes and it's gonna be called KrofftCraft.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Artreus wrote: »
    We had the raddest fucking lava moat... Man I want to play again now and build another massive SE++ castle.

We could build a giant dong tower.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited August 2009
    Oh before I broget, when you pre-order you can then customize your skin.

I'm not sure how to make them cause the forum is down, but there are some tutorials out there, just google em.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Artreus wrote: »

If you do, only PM the server information to people, posting it public might allow some shitdick to ruin things.
    Again.

Also: Goddamn that castle. We spent so many days. I wish I had got screenshots of the mostly-finished keep+towers, it was fucking boss.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Then I'm gonna make an MMO about producing Saturday morning children's programming that prominently features people in full-body puppet costumes and it's gonna be called KrofftCraft.

Then I'm gonna make an MMO about forming a teenage hiphop group and wearing your clothing backwards and it's gonna be called KrisKrossCraft

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Fucking christ geek stop

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Then I'm gonna make an MMO about forming a teenage hiphop group and wearing your clothing backwards and it's gonna be called KrisKrossCraft

And then I'm gonna make an MMO about letting Barabbas go free and it's gonna be called ChristCrossCraft

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB