As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Expanding Comic Book Audiences

124»

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Geoff Johns, Warren Ellis, and Garth Ennis have incorporated superheroes falling apart into many superhero fights, to great effect

Munch on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    God, you're just like my parents, always pressuring me to be more like Garth Ennis.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Garth Ennis never complains about being pushed

I bet Garth Ennis remembers Mother's Day too

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Because he probably beat his mom up one Mother's Day.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    nuh uh

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, looking down the list, I also had the camo one, anton arcane, skinman, the transducer playset, and weed killer.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    ScoobaShagScoobaShag Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That's so strange that Swamp Thing was that popular for a time.

ScoobaShag on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You know what kids like these days? Kids like holographic covers. Why did those dry up after the 90s ended?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    You know what kids like these days? Kids like holographic covers. Why did those dry up after the 90s ended?

Turns out that looking at the covers for too long induced retinal cancer.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My problem with buying comic books is that it's $4 for like 3-10mins of reading. It doesn't compute on my $/hr of entertainment. I like the trades more because it feels a little more meaty, but the cost of those seems to have gone up too.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    ScoobaShagScoobaShag Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Odds are they're getting pricier because there's more demand for trades in general, but that's why we were talking about earlier that the monthlies need to go down in price to get more attention from potential readers. Trades should be like movies, and monthlies like tv or radio broadcast to make a sort of analogy.

ScoobaShag on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is that because monthlies also have full page ads and trades don't?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ScoobaShag wrote: »
    Odds are they're getting pricier because there's more demand for trades in general, but that's why we were talking about earlier that the monthlies need to go down in price to get more attention from potential readers. Trades should be like movies, and monthlies like tv or radio broadcast to make a sort of analogy.

They are going up in price to match the price of $3.99 comics. If you can get a trade for six issues for less than $15 ($10 on Amazon), that's a huge savings over 6 x $3.99 and would lead to people just trade waiting everything. If trades go up in relation to the cover prices (most are $19.99 now), that's not nearly as big a savings over getting the books in singles as they come out. It has nothing to do with demand and more with limiting demand/trying to push singles.

KVW on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    KVW wrote: »

They are going up in price to match the price of $3.99 comics. If you can get a trade for six issues for less than $15 ($10 on Amazon), that's a huge savings over 6 x $3.99 and would lead to people just trade waiting everything. If trades go up in relation to the cover prices (most are $19.99 now), that's not nearly as big a savings over getting the books in singles as they come out. It has nothing to do with demand and more with limiting demand/trying to push singles.

Oh hey, it's like they're encouraging me to go almost completely digital in my comics consumption. I'll just wait a few years for the trades to get cheap on Amazon marketplace, and in the meantime I'll put more money in the pockets of forward thinking publishers that embrace the digital market.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, as various books I'm following conclude their arcs, I've dropped them from my pull list, to buy them in TPB later. The only things I'll really be buying monthly soon are various indie books, low-selling books I want to support, and things I just love too much not to buy every month.

If I'm going to pay out the nose either way, I'd rather have a nicely bound book sans advertisements.

Munch on
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    KVW wrote: »

This doesn't seem like a valid argument. Trades come out way later. When I buy a video game 6 months after it came out I may $30 instead of $60. Saying I'm saving a whole bunch of money is true, but the reality is that extra $30 is a premium people pay to read it right way. As someone who doesn't buy comics I'm only going to buy a big trade and only if it's some character I find awesome and there is a good price, either inherently or due to a sale. Now if I got really into this book I will continue purchasing from where the trade left off, until I get to the point where I'm buying the monhtly issues.

My assumption is that they are not really interested in trying to attract new buyers anymore as much as they are trying to tailor their business to getting the most out of their current customers. Nothing wrong with that, but it makes attracting new blood difficult.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    Yeah, as various books I'm following conclude their arcs, I've dropped them from my pull list, to buy them in TPB later. The only things I'll really be buying monthly soon are various indie books, low-selling books I want to support, and things I just love too much not to buy every month.

Same here. I just did this with Nova and GotG and once Blackest Night ends, GL and GLC will be dropped as well. I'm letting most of my Marvel Direct subs lapse as well. By this time next year I figure that every month I'll be buying/subscribing to 4 floppies, buying one trade, and spending $10-15 on digital comics. This will significantly cut down on
    If I'm going to pay out the nose either way, I'd rather have a nicely bound book sans advertisements.

Yeah, I'm turning to Trades and digital more or less because of the readability of trades and the inconvenience of storing floppies.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Likewise.

Wildcat on