As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sen. Ted Kennedy dies at 77

JebusUDJebusUD Adventure!Candy IslandRegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/TedKennedy/story?id=6692022

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/08/26/obit.ted.kennedy/index.html

nm_ted_kennedy_obit_090120_mn.jpg
Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy dead at 77

* Story Highlights
* Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy died Wednesday after cancer battle
* "We've lost the irreplaceable center of our family," family statement says
* Kennedy played major role in civil and voting rights, health care reform
* Kennedy recently sought change in state law to allow for temporary replacement
(CNN) -- Massachusetts Sen. Edward Kennedy, the patriarch of the first family of Democratic politics, died Wednesday at his home in Hyannis Port, Massachusetts, after a lengthy battle with brain cancer. He was 77.

"We've lost the irreplaceable center of our family and joyous light in our lives, but the inspiration of his faith, optimism and perseverance will live on in our hearts forever," a family statement said. "We thank everyone who gave him care and support over this last year, and everyone who stood with him for so many years in his tireless march for progress toward justice."

Kennedy, nicknamed "Ted," was the younger brother of slain President John F. Kennedy and New York Sen. Robert Kennedy, who was gunned down while seeking the White House in 1968. However, his own presidential aspirations were hobbled by the controversy around a 1969 auto accident that left a young woman dead, and a 1980 primary challenge to then-President Jimmy Carter that ended in defeat.

But while the White House eluded his grasp, the longtime Massachusetts senator was considered one of the most effective legislators of the past few decades. Kennedy, who became known as the "Lion of the Senate," played major roles in passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Voting Rights Act of 1965, the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act and the 1993 Family and Medical Leave Act, and was an outspoken liberal standard-bearer during a conservative-dominated era from the 1980s to the early 2000s.

"Senator Ted Kennedy's legacy in the United States Senate is comparable and consistent with the legacy of his entire family for generations," Kennedy's biographer, Ted Sorensen, said.

Kennedy recently urged Massachusetts officials to change a law to allow for an immediate temporary replacement should a vacancy occur for one of his state's two Senate seats. VideoWatch why Kennedy sought change in state law »

Under a 2004 Massachusetts law, a special election must be held 145 to 160 days after a Senate seat becomes vacant. The winner of the election would serve the remainder of a senator's unexpired term.

Kennedy asked Gov. Deval Patrick and state leaders to "amend the law through the normal legislative process to provide for a temporary gubernatorial appointment until the special election occurs," according to the letter, dated July 2. Read Kennedy's letter

Kennedy suffered a seizure in May 2008 at his home on Cape Cod. Shortly after, doctors diagnosed a brain tumor -- a malignant glioma in his left parietal lobe.

Surgeons at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, North Carolina, removed as much of the tumor as possible the following month. Doctors considered the procedure a success, and Kennedy underwent follow-up radiation treatments and chemotherapy.

A few weeks later, he participated in a key vote in the Senate. He also insisted on making a brief but dramatic appearance at the 2008 Democratic convention, a poignant moment that brought the crowd to its feet and tears to many eyes.

"I have come here tonight to stand with you to change America, to restore its future, to rise to our best ideals and to elect Barack Obama president of the United States," Kennedy told fellow Democrats in a strong voice.

Kennedy's early support for Obama was considered a boon for the candidate, then a first-term senator from Illinois locked in a tough primary battle against former first lady Hillary Clinton. Kennedy predicted Obama's victory and pledged to be in Washington in January when Obama assumed office -- and he was, though he was hospitalized briefly after suffering a seizure during a post-inaugural luncheon.

Kennedy was one of only six senators in U.S. history to serve more than 40 years. He was elected to eight full terms to become the second most-senior senator after West Virginia Democrat Robert Byrd.

He launched his political career in 1962, when he was elected to finish the unexpired Senate term of his brother, who became president in 1960. He won his first full term in 1964.

He seemed to have a bright political future, and many Democratic eyes turned to him after the killings of his brothers. But a July 18, 1969, car wreck on Chappaquiddick Island virtually ended his ambitions.

After a party for women who had worked on his brother Robert's presidential campaign, Kennedy drove his car off a bridge on Chappaquiddick, off Cape Cod and across a narrow channel from Martha's Vineyard. While Kennedy managed to escape, his passenger, Mary Jo Kopechne, drowned.

In a coroner's inquest, he denied having been drunk, and said he made "seven or eight" attempts to save Kopechne before exhaustion forced him to shore. Although he sought help from friends at the party, Kennedy did not report the accident to police until the following morning.

Kennedy eventually pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of an accident. In a televised address to residents of his home state, Kennedy called his conduct in the hours following the accident "inexplicable" and called his failure to report the wreck immediately "indefensible."

Despite the dent in his reputation and career, Kennedy remained in American politics and went on to win seven more terms in the Senate. Kennedy championed social causes and was the author of "In Critical Condition: The Crisis in America's Health Care." He served as chairman of the Judiciary and Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions committees and was the ranking Democrat on the Judiciary and Armed Services committees during periods when Republicans controlled the chamber.

Obama named Kennedy as one of 16 recipients of the 2009 Presidential Medal of Freedom, America's highest civilian honor. A White House statement explained that the 2009 honorees "were chosen for their work as agents of change."

"Senator Kennedy has dedicated his career to fighting for equal opportunity, fairness and justice for all Americans. He has worked tirelessly to ensure that every American has access to quality and affordable health care, and has succeeded in doing so for countless children, seniors, and Americans with disabilities. He has called health care reform the "cause of his life."

Born in Boston on February 22, 1932, Edward Moore Kennedy was the last of nine children of Joseph P. Kennedy, a prominent businessman and Democrat, and Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy. Joseph Kennedy served as ambassador to Britain before World War II and pushed his sons to strive for the presidency, a burden "Teddy" bore for much of his life as the only surviving Kennedy son.

His oldest brother, Joe Jr., died in a plane crash during World War II when Kennedy was 12. John was assassinated in Dallas, Texas, in 1963, and Robert was killed the night of the California primary in 1968.

Ted Kennedy delivered Robert's eulogy, urging mourners to remember him as "a good and decent man who saw wrong and tried to right it; who saw suffering and tried to heal it; who saw war and tried to stop it."

The family was plagued with other tragedies as well. One sister, Kathleen, was killed in a plane crash in 1948. Another sister, Rosemary, was born mildly retarded, but was institutionalized after a botched lobotomy in 1941. She died in 1986 after more than 50 years in mental hospitals.

Joseph Kennedy was incapacitated by a stroke in 1961 and died in November 1969, leaving the youngest son as head of the family. He was 37.

"I can't let go," Kennedy once told an aide. "If I let go, Ethel (Robert's widow) will let go, and my mother will let go, and all my sisters."

Kennedy himself survived a 1964 plane crash that killed an aide, suffering a broken back in the accident. But he recovered to lead the seemingly ill-starred clan through a series of other tragedies: Robert Kennedy's son David died of a drug overdose in a Florida hotel in 1984; another of Robert's sons, Michael, was killed in a skiing accident in Colorado in 1997; and John's son John Jr., his wife Carolyn and sister-in-law Lauren Bessette died in a 1999 plane crash off Martha's Vineyard.

In addition, his son Edward Jr. lost a leg to cancer in the 1970s, and daughter Kara survived a bout with the disease in the early 2000s.

Kennedy was forced to testify about a bar-hopping weekend that led to sexual battery charges against his nephew, William Kennedy Smith. Smith was acquitted in 1991 of charges that he raped a woman he met while at a Florida nightclub with the senator and his son Patrick, now a Rhode Island congressman.

Like brothers John and Robert, Edward Kennedy attended Harvard. He studied in the Netherlands before earning a law degree from the University of Virginia Law School, and worked in the district attorney's office in Boston before entering politics.

Kennedy is survived by his second wife, Victoria Ann Reggie Kennedy, whom he married in 1992; his first wife, Joan Bennett; and five children -- Patrick, Kara and Edward Jr. from his first marriage, and Curran and Caroline Raclin from his second.
The Kennedy family releases an official statement.
Edward M. Kennedy -- the husband, father, grandfather, brother and uncle we loved so deeply -- died late Tuesday night at home in Hyannis Port.

"We've lost the irreplaceable center of our family and joyous light in our lives, but the inspiration of his faith, optimism, and perseverance will live on in our hearts forever.

"We thank everyone who gave him care and support over this last year, and everyone who stood with him for so many years in his tireless march for progress toward justice, fairness and opportunity for all.

"He loved this country and devoted his life to serving it.

"He always believed that our best days were still ahead, but it's hard to imagine any of them without him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Kennedy

This thread is one in which to discuss how this is going to affect the political situation in the US senate now that Mass. Senator Ted Kennedy has died of brain cancer.

Will this significantly affect healthcare reform?

As a prominent figure in the senate, and one who has long supported healthcare reform, will this negatively change the healthcare debate, since we are losing his voice and opinions on the matter?

Who do you think will be replacing him?

Sen. Kennedy will be replaced by special election.

...More to come on OP

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
but they're listening to every word I say
JebusUD on

• Options
    Alchemist449Alchemist449 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well this ruined my night.

See ya, Ted. You will be missed.

Alchemist449 on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The Lion of the Senate and a fantastic politician in my book

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    D:

Teddy! Nooooo! You had so many more Republicans to piss off!

This is a grim day, indeed.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Clutch414Clutch414 Dodge Swinger.... ...WHENEVER IT FEELS RIGHT!!!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    JebusUD wrote: »

This thread is one in which to discuss how this is going to affect the political situation in the US senate now that Mass. Senator Ted Kennedy has died of brain cancer.

As a prominent figure in the senate, and one who has long supported healthcare reform, will this negatively change the healthcare debate, since we are losing his voice and opinions on the matter?

Who do you think will be replacing him? I believe he is replaced by the Governor, who is a democrat so this should not change the 60 vote count.

...More to come on OP

Actually, the Governor doesn't choose the successor due to a 2004 law change that Kennedy strongly supported. His successor will be chosen by special election unless the Massachusetts state legislature changes the law back.

Clutch414 on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Clutch414 wrote: »

Who do you think will be replacing him? I believe he is replaced by the Governor, who is a democrat so this should not change the 60 vote count.

...More to come on OP

Actually, the Governor doesn't choose the successor due to a 2004 law change that Kennedy strongly supported. His successor will be chosen by special election unless the Massachusetts state legislature changes the law back.

Thank you. I will roll the first link into the OP.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Jebus, your OP is better than mine, so I suggest we consolidate into this here thread.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Jebus, your OP is better than mine, so I suggest we consolidate into this here thread.

Your thread name is better than mine, maybe I should change it to that.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Your thread name is better than mine, maybe I should change it to that.

Wait til a mod locks mine.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This is terrible
    this is the worst thing

I loved that man

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hachface wrote: »
    This is terrible
    this is the worst thing

I loved that man

Loved? Really? I mean, he was important to the senate, and to politics, but I wouldn't describe his personal shenanigans as lovable.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This is terrible
    this is the worst thing

I loved that man

Loved? Really? I mean, he was important to the senate, and to politics, but I wouldn't describe his personal shenanigans as lovable.

Chappaquiddick was 40 years ago.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    This is terrible
    this is the worst thing

I loved that man

meh, he was a flawed man, like all men

a man's life doesn't need to be about the worst thing he was ever involved in

he did a fantastic amount of good for the country in his time

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    This is terrible
    this is the worst thing

I loved that man

Chappaquiddick was 40 years ago.

Well, there is the womanizing too. Plus the getting red in the face and yelling at people.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, fuck.

Tach on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    This is terrible
    this is the worst thing

I loved that man

Important sure. But I think lovable is a little strong.

edit: anyway, lets not talk too bad about him when he is barely below 98 degrees.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I would absolutely describe him as lovable

and womanizing? that rules out practically all politicians and statistically a hell of a lot of the population as a whole

it's just sex

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This is terrible
    this is the worst thing

I loved that man

Important sure. But I think lovable is a little strong.

For all of his flaws, he believed and fought for government to make our lives better. He was the very definition of what a public servant is meant to be.

DC seems a bit darker today.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Errra, RIP Ted. Errra.

CaptainPeacock on
    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I would absolutely describe him as lovable

and womanizing? that rules out practically all politicians and statistically a hell of a lot of the population as a whole

it's just sex
    You know who had a shitty personal life?

Winston Churchill.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    For all of his flaws, he believed and fought for government to make our lives better. He was the very definition of what a public servant is meant to be.

DC seems a bit darker today.

I can get behind this.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I wonder how Fox News et al. will spin this. I mean, I wouldn't even think it was spinnable, but man, they're wizards at that shit.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So, when this special election rolls around, how do you guys think it will go?

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Magus` wrote: »
    I wonder how Fox News et al. will spin this. I mean, I wouldn't even think it was spinnable, but man, they're wizards at that shit.

I bet this is going to be spun like crazy by everyone. Support health care now for Ted!

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Do you have to ask?

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I suppose that's true.

I know he was joked about as being an alchy, but did that in any way affect his condition? Or was that just sort of an on-going joke?

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Support health care now for Ted!

It is crass but he would have wanted it that way.

I would not be surprised if he took some people aside and said "Exploit my death for all it's worth."

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

god knows, "Is Ted Kennedy in hell?" isn't out of the question

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm sure it will be a hard fought race between Hippie McSmokespot, Commie Von Socialist, and whatever RINO the Republicans can manage to put in front of the firing squad in order to keep up appearances.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I'm sure it will be a hard fought race between Hippie McSmokespot, Commie Von Socialist, and whatever RINO the Republicans can manage to put in front of the firing squad in order to keep up appearances.

Damn. Maybe I should move there.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I suppose that's true.

I know he was joked about as being an alchy, but did that in any way affect his condition? Or was that just sort of an on-going joke?
    He wasn't a drunk, he was just Catholic.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Over/under on Sean Hannity Chappaquiddick mentions tomorrow night?

Anyway, I expect there to be bullshit "Sen. Kennedy would have hated this bill!" vs. crass "The Republicans are exploiting Sen. Kennedy's death to block cloture!" arguments. And it will be fantastic.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Damn. Maybe I should move there.

I know i should have never moved away.

Hachface on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I suppose that's true.

He wasn't a drunk, he was just Catholic.
    Fox spent a lot of time in their obit talking about how he was an alcoholic. Fox wouldn't lie.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

shit dude no sane person would bet against that

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

shit dude no sane person would bet against that

That's why it's an over/under. I'm putting it at 13.5. And I'll take the over.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have no idea who is going to run for senate here. We don't have any apparent rising stars

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well, you know that the Governator will be at his funeral. He really doesn't have a choice in the matter.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's probably for the best. Cancer is a hell of a thing to suffer from under any condition, I can't imagine brain cancer to be particularly better.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I guess I didn't see this coming so soon. I mean, I knew he was sick, but this seems rather sudden. Not even a news lead up to it.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    They gave him like six months a year ago, as I recall.

enlightenedbum on