As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Intel contests for PAX

DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in PAX Archive
UPDATE: I've posted some news on page 4 -- first day of PAX we gave away A LOT of stuff! And just about everyone is wearing one of our "Game on" buttons. No need to match numbers with anybody, no need to get any cards stamped -- just wear a button, get a card from a prize spotter and come get your prize. Enjoy.

Hey all,

I'm a flack and I work with Intel, among other companies. ;) The team I'm a part of was asked by Intel to come up with some contests to hold around certain conferences this year. I'm also a lifelong gamer so I wanted to come up with something that isn't lame :). I'm really happy to say that we've created some cool contests for PAX and I'd like to invite you guys to join up. Please chime in with questions about this here.

What we’re doing for people who can’t go to PAX: Choose a Champion
Anyone 18-years of age or older and living in the United States can enter Choose a Champion. Participants are asked to guess who they think will win this year’s Omegathon tournament. Those who guessed correctly will be entered into a random drawing to receive a Velocity Micro Edge Z30 Desktop (approximate Retail Value: $1,299). http://scoop.intel.com/intelcontests.php to learn more and register. Contest closes September 4, 2009 at 10:00 a.m. PDT.

We just ran this contest for BlizzCon and gave away three ASUS gaming laptops this week.

What we’re doing on the show floor: GAME ON!
Intel will be giving away thousands of prizes, including Corei7 processors and laptops daily, for its Game On: Wear it to Win contest. To participate, PAX attendees can visit the Intel booth during regular show hours to receive a button. If Intel’s Prize Patrol spots the participant wearing or displaying the button during the show, they will be given a game card that can be redeemed at the Intel booth for a prize. Check out some of the pics from BlizzCon: http://www.flickr.com/photos/intelphotos/

At the show floor, we'll be telling people where the prize patrol is periodically through a Twitter feed. Sign up for that here: http://twitter.com/IntelGameOn

Divebommah on

• Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited August 2009
    this is totally cool with us. :)

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    this is totally cool with us. :)

Thats cause Intel rules

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So awesome! I'm going to win one of my friends a computer! No one ever votes for the underdog female Omega! MUAHAHAHA

PS: You should put [PRIME] so people know it's for Seattle PAX

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    TeknotronicTeknotronic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If we wear a button that has AMD being destroyed by a giant Intel robot with lasers of awesome shooting from its eyes, do we win epic prizes? :-)

Teknotronic on
  • Options
    OzzimoOzzimo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm already figuring ways to incorporate that button in my Cosplay..... I think I can do it. :)

Ozzimo on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    So awesome! I'm going to win one of my friends a computer! No one ever votes for the underdog female Omega! MUAHAHAHA

PS: You should put [PRIME] so people know it's for Seattle PAX

Thanks for the tip -- done :)

Divebommah on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If we wear a button that has AMD being destroyed by a giant Intel robot with lasers of awesome shooting from its eyes, do we win epic prizes? :-)

Heheheh, we don't riff on the competition. :) You will be able to win as many times as you want BTW -- just keep getting in front of the prize spotters.

Divebommah on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ozzimo wrote: »
    I'm already figuring ways to incorporate that button in my Cosplay..... I think I can do it. :)

Some people at BlizzCon were literally covered in buttons. You can do this :winky:

Divebommah on
  • Options
    TeknotronicTeknotronic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Divebommah wrote: »

Heheheh, we don't riff on the competition. :) You will be able to win as many times as you want BTW -- just keep getting in front of the prize spotters.

That assumes that there is actually competition ;-)

Teknotronic on
  • Options
    Jules@Party934.comJules@Party934.com Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    May I make a suggestion that I noticed when posting this stuff to my site after Stefanie emailed me earlier today in regards to these contests and other contests Intel is doing that is PAX related for those who cannot attend:

In the future include booth number in the info so it is easier for people to locate instead of having to find it in the huge PAX map.

Just a little suggestion.

And thank you once again people at Intel for giving me the opportunity to help you with your contests for those that are unable to attend PAX.

Jules@Party934.com on
  • Options
    Bob JackassBob Jackass Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Anyone 18-years of age or older and living in the United States can enter Choose a Champion. Participants are asked to guess who they think will win this year’s Omegathon tournament. Those who guessed correctly will be entered into a random drawing to receive a Velocity Micro Edge Z30 Desktop (approximate Retail Value: $1,299). http://scoop.intel.com/intelcontests.php to learn more and register. Contest closes September 4, 2009 at 10:00 a.m. PDT.

Can we play even if we're in the Omegathon? :)

Bob Jackass on
    Check out my actual, real life rock band!

Xbox Live - Bob Jackass || Playstation - Cosby__Sweater || Steam - Bob Jackass

Twitter
  • Options
    SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think I'm going to make a sign that says
    "HERE'S MY INTEL BUTTON
    I
    I
    I
    V"

And walk around with it.

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This is cool. Intel is cool.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    May I make a suggestion that I noticed when posting this stuff to my site after Stefanie emailed me earlier today in regards to these contests and other contests Intel is doing that is PAX related for those who cannot attend:

In the future include booth number in the info so it is easier for people to locate instead of having to find it in the huge PAX map.

And thank you once again people at Intel for giving me the opportunity to help you with your contests for those that are unable to attend PAX.

Jules, you are TOTALLY right -- we totally buggered that up. ;) So we don't actually have a booth number, but you can find us in the South Lobby next to the Main Theater -- 4A on the map, I believe.

Divebommah on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Can we play even if we're in the Omegathon? :)

Of course!

Divebommah on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Jules, you are TOTALLY right -- we totally buggered that up. ;) So we don't actually have a booth number, but you can find us in the South Lobby next to the Main Theater -- 4A on the map, I believe.

Thank you :)

I will update my site accordingly :)

Jules@Party934.com on
  • Options
    trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The button game sounds fun!

But my mom's an Intel employee. So I'm guessing I don't get any PAX Intel love?

...then again they did put dinner on the table for the last 13 years. So that's a win, albeit less glamorous.

trickycoolj on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

...then again they did put dinner on the table for the last 13 years. So that's a win, albeit less glamorous.

Aw bummer :( No, Intel employees and immediate family are not eligible, per usual. I'm pretty bummed because my fellow Canadians aren't allowed in either. Darn legal people...

Divebommah on
  • Options
    DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If Intel’s Prize Patrol spots the participant wearing or displaying the button during the show, they will be given a game card that can be redeemed at the Intel booth for a prize.

With the buttoneers running about, this could turn into a game of where's waldo.

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Aw bummer :( No, Intel employees and immediate family are not eligible, per usual. I'm pretty bummed because my fellow Canadians aren't allowed in either. Darn legal people...

You know what this means don't you?

Intel hates Canada.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    SmallLady wrote: »

Intel hates Canada.

I think it has to do with tax complications. So if we're going to assign blame, let's blame lawyers. :P

Divebommah on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    SmallLady wrote: »

Intel hates Canada.

I think its just the online one for non PAX attendees that is US residents only because of shipping and duty fees etc. Same with the t-shirt one that they asked if I was interested in doing with them.

As for the button one, I am sure that is open to anyone who is on site at PAX since you will be getting the prize at PAX. I could be wrong there, but the media relations person who e-mailed me today about helping them spread the word etc told me even I could participate in the button one and to make sure I got my button.

That is my understanding of it anyway.

Jules@Party934.com on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2009
    I hope those buttons are HUGE

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2009
    So do I.

It will be interesting to see how creative people are displaying them who are also buttoneers.

Jules@Party934.com on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So do I.

It will be interesting to see how creative people are displaying them who are also buttoneers.

There's a video here that shows some fairly creative uses of the buttons. One guy made a skirt with them. Another fellow had a nose ring and hung a button off it.

And here's what the buttons look like -- and this guy is holding one of the fun shrinkwrapped shirts:
    3846806741_9d31982c7d.jpg

Divebommah on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Those buttons are HUGE!

Easy to spot, excellent

Jules@Party934.com on
  • Options
    ToemanToeman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Will wearing my intel shirt increase my chances?

lol

I <3 Intel

Toeman on
  • Options
    algorhythm3.14algorhythm3.14 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Toeman wrote: »

lol

I <3 Intel

Not if I wear mine first.

Daddy needs a second Core i7 CPU to display on my core i7 powered BYOC rig. :mrgreen:

algorhythm3.14 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ToemanToeman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

lol

I <3 Intel

Daddy needs a second Core i7 CPU to display on my core i7 powered BYOC rig. :mrgreen:

fuuu.png

Toeman on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

lol

I <3 Intel

During QuakeCon this one guy totally beat the odds and ended up winning a Core i7 AND a gaming laptop on the same day. He was wearing an AMD shirt at the time and instantly ripped it off and put on one of ours. Kinda bummed no one got that on video. :winky:

Divebommah on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

lol

I <3 Intel

During QuakeCon this one guy totally beat the odds and ended up winning a Core i7 AND a gaming laptop on the same day. He was wearing an AMD shirt at the time and instantly ripped it off and put on one of ours. Kinda bummed no one got that on video. :winky:

Speaking of AMD (I was telling a friend this earlier and since you brought up AMD, I thought I will mention here) I am hardcore AMD fan. I have never owned an Intel for a million different reasons.

HOWEVER the next time I rebuild my system, I may just get me Intel. And this is why. Because Intel took the time out of whatever, found my site and approached me to help spread the word about these contests and offered to give me stuff for my own contest for those people unable to attend PAX but still want Intel PAX related stuff.

Now what I find even more amazing about this is: A lot of the gaming companies have my Party 934 email address due to me being on the list of press member attending PAX. But what Intel did was actually check out my site and email through my contact information on my site and not the address given out by PAX that gets stuck on some mass mailing list. Intel took an extra step.

For that and for the awesome and fun attitude of Stefanie, Intel will be my next choice.

Jules@Party934.com on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    so these two competitions don't sound as bad as that number thing i heard about a few years back.

congrats on the two great contest ideas. currently thinking up ways to attach a button to my head. maybe a sweatband or a bandanna.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I was thinking of attaching it to one of my hair clips, you know the bendy ones that you snap that are also used for pinning a hemline without using pins?

Jules@Party934.com on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Speaking of AMD (I was telling a friend this earlier and since you brought up AMD, I thought I will mention here) I am hardcore AMD fan. I have never owned an Intel for a million different reasons.

HOWEVER the next time I rebuild my system, I may just get me Intel. And this is why. Because Intel took the time out of whatever, found my site and approached me to help spread the word about these contests and offered to give me stuff for my own contest for those people unable to attend PAX but still want Intel PAX related stuff.

Now what I find even more amazing about this is: A lot of the gaming companies have my Party 934 email address due to me being on the list of press member attending PAX. But what Intel did was actually check out my site and email through my contact information on my site and not the address given out by PAX that gets stuck on some mass mailing list. Intel took an extra step.

For that and for the awesome and fun attitude of Stefanie, Intel will be my next choice.

Aw those are nice things to say, thanks! Will pass that on to Stefanie. We'll have a bunch of Core i7 systems at the booth for you to play with, by the way, maybe that will help inform your research for your next rig :)

Divebommah on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    so these two competitions don't sound as bad as that number thing i heard about a few years back.

congrats on the two great contest ideas. currently thinking up ways to attach a button to my head. maybe a sweatband or a bandanna.

Curious, what number thing would that be?

And don't forget to check out the Twitter feed during the show -- we'll (I'll) announce where you can find the prize patrol several times per day. And register for our online contest if you haven't already!:!:

Divebommah on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I totally plan on doing that. Stefanie told me to come by and introduce myself (she will not be there but told me who will be there) and to get my button and play. So I completely plan on doing that.

I am also writing up an article about this, because seriously as a media person and just a regular geek who has a geek site that is related but not to my job (there are obvious cross overs) I really appreciate that I was approached as a geek with a site and not just a faceless media type.

Seriously, that deserves serious Kudos. If only more tech/gaming companies did that instead of just assuming you will want to cover their story or post a generic media release.

I am all about customer service and good media relations and taking that extra step. Intel did that. And because of that, it is making me want to give that bit of extra mention without being asked to.

Jules@Party934.com on
  • Options
    DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

And don't forget to check out the Twitter feed during the show -- we'll (I'll) announce where you can find the prize patrol several times per day. And register for our online contest if you haven't already!:!:

nVIDIA ran a contest where they gave out buttons with numbers... and there were matching pairs of each number... and you, having your number were challenged to find your doppleganger with the same number and then head to the booth together to claim your prize. People carried signs with their numbers prominently displayed. Eventually a kind of message board formed where people wrote down their number and a cell phone number. It was crazy.

DJBreslin on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    DJBreslin wrote: »

nVIDIA ran a contest where they gave out buttons with numbers... and there were matching pairs of each number... and you, having your number were challenged to find your doppleganger with the same number and then head to the booth together to claim your prize. People carried signs with their numbers prominently displayed. Eventually a kind of message board formed where people wrote down their number and a cell phone number. It was crazy.

Oooohhhhh. Right, I think they did something like that at BlizzCon, but everyone complained that it was too dark there to see each others numbers. Seriously, these contests have to be sooooo simple to pull off or a little snag like that will break 'em.

Divebommah on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Intel really has stepped up their game lately in terms of "being cool." I worked there from 1996 to 1999 and it was still "pre-cool" days. I played a lot of Quake II and Painkeep on the official/unofficial Intel servers. We had our characters in bunny suit skins (I still have them) and we were Clan QI (for Quake Inside). I still have the modded Intel Inside logo with two nails thru it. Players would flock to our server to challenge the "Intel newbs," but they'd leave well beaten (except for a player named CuriousG... we learned from him/her). I remember trying to convince higher ups to codify this and turn it into some kind of marketing angle (and fund it). I also presented an idea of making gaming focused parts (all red or all black that could be overclocked... you know, embrace what people were already doing). I didn't make any headway with these ideas, but I can see that Intel has come a long long way since then (Extreme processors, LANfest). And some of my coworkers at that time are now involved with Intel's LANfest and other such endeavors.

I have much love for Intel. Lot of good memories. And they're why I'm in Oregon and I love that too.

I put in my vote for Isha (eyeshuh). Go Omegabat! ;-)

DJBreslin on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    DJBreslin wrote: »

Oooohhhhh. Right, I think they did something like that at BlizzCon, but everyone complained that it was too dark there to see each others numbers. Seriously, these contests have to be sooooo simple to pull off or a little snag like that will break 'em.

Completely agree with you. Was pleasantly suprised at how extremely easy it was to put in my vote for an Omeganaut. Props on that.

DJBreslin on
This discussion has been closed.