As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Odd hardlocking issue

HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
I've been having an issue with my PC lately.

During the boot of windows I started getting a strange repeating pattern of periods all over the screen. It would then give me a CPU overtemp warning. Upon rebooting ang checking in the BIOS my CPU was running 103 celcius. Oh shit.

So I cracked open the case and checked it out an sure enough my heatsink+fan had worked itself loose. I retightened everything and booted it back up. The CPU temp in the BIOS is holding steady at around 60 celcius and when I get into windows and fire up everest to check GPU temp it's running at around 64 celcius. From what I've been able to gather these are both well within normal range.

The thing is the repeating pattern of periods are still there and it's still hardlocking. However safemode seems to work perfectly fine if I boot into that.

This is where I really hope someone tells me my PC didn't cook itself due to my heatsink+fan being shitty and coming loose D:

Card is an Nvidia 9800GTX 512MB

HappylilElf on

• Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What happens when you boot to a Knoppix or Ubuntu live cd and get to a GUI?

travathian on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I have no idea, don't have either handy.

I'm fairly sure I have a couple CDRs laying around somewhere and I can have a friend bring his laptop over to whip one up tomorrow though.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Couldn't get the CD made.

However it's definately not the CPU overheating that is causing the continued issue. My video card has started overheating for some reason. I think the fan in the card is faltering and it's out of warrenty so yeah, new video card time I guess.

On the plus side a new 9800GTX will be $150 less than what I paid for my current one. Of course it's still $130 :(

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ok, in a last ditch effort I reformatted and resinstalled WinXP.

Everything was fine until I installed Nvidia drivers for the video card. Once I did that it started hardlocking again and wouldn't even get past the login screen. After uninstalling the drivers it boots up fine.

If I'm way off base here lemme know, otherwise I guess it's time to go shopping for a new card tomorrow I suppose.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    pollyanna03pollyanna03 __BANNED USERS new member
    edited August 2009
    I have no idea.never come across this kind of situation.someday may come across so today.i come here.

pollyanna03 on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Try installing tweaked drivers, or Windows Update's recommended drivers, or drivers directly from NVidia's website.

It's probably a GPU issue at this point, I guess, but it may not be a hardware issue (hopefully).

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Drivers from Nvidia's website are definately a no go (same issue occurs, very slight graphical glitches followed immediately by a hardlock after which it can't get past the initial loading screen for windows without locking and will only boot in safemode).

Windows update actually can't find drivers for it. Which doesn't really shock me as I've never had it be able to find drivers for some reason.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Tweaked drivers, then. I've used these before (my current laptop has an ATI card instead).

What card is it?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Nvidia 9800GTX 512MB

I'll download those later today and give them a try (with my fingers crossed so hard bones may break :P )

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Just tried two different sets of tweaked drivers.

Exact same thing. Hardlocks and graphical gitches before windows even finishes loading with drivers installed. Able to get into windows fine without them.

Time to go shopping?

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Try an earlier generation of drivers, the tweaked site has them?

Then I'm fresh outta ideas, yes.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Buy a new fan for the graphics card? They can be pretty cheap (and it's already busted, so what have you to lose?).

I imagine the drivers are pushing the card harder than the default XP ones?

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera