As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Gaming (it's been a while) I have questions...

Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
So, after some time using a Macbook and a 360 I am looking at getting some new hardware, having heard that the PC versions of Dragon Age and Borderlands will be > the console ones (and the idea of Diablo 3 this decade) I am looking to make the leap back.

So, controllers on the PC, can you buy a black elite controller and use it on windows? is it ONLY the wired ones that work?

Will it work on games like Splinter Cell: Conviction which would be a pain with the keyboard, I prefer them for FPS will it work on MW2 without me getting capped (I hear mixed things)?

Venkman90 on

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Why would you bother getting the games for PC if you're going to use a 360 controller?

-SPI- on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You're going to play multiplayer FPS on the PC with a controller?

Enjoy staring at the respawn timer.

Alegis on
  • Options
    KylogueKylogue Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Not sure about which games the controller works on... But, what you need is something like this for wireless controllers.

Like the above poster asked though, having a 360... What good is the controller? I hear it works great for champions... But I also hear it works wonders on 360 games.

Kylogue on
    360 GT: Ixtil
    PSN: Kylogue
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Gamepad is pretty nice in SOME cases.

They can be wireless for the PC as well. They just cost a bit more.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wireless 360 controllers require a separate receiver in order to work. I'd just buy the wired version unless you already have a wireless controller you'd like to use.

Gamepad support for games varies. It's more common nowadays, though, and if a game also came out for the Xbox it's safe to assume the PC version will allow you to use the 360 controller without any configuration; if the game is Games for Windows branded then this is virtually guaranteed. The good bulk of games that come out nowadays will probably support the gamepad.

This is not universal, though. For example, Crysis, a PC exclusive, has native bindings for the controller, but the mulitplatform Call of Duty [Insert Subtitle] does not (this is why I'm going to assume MW2 won't let you either). Mass Effect started on the 360, and when the interface was retooled for the PC, controller support was also removed. Dragon Age specifically started as a PC game, and I'd be surprised if the PC version supports a controller.

You can probably get away with controller profiling (i.e. binding button inputs to virtual keyboard and mouse presses using some utility), although this is a little less than ideal depending on the game and quality of the profiler.

Oh, and just FYI, the Splinter Cell games play great with keyboard/mouse.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I assume that he has a 360 controller already, since he asked about the black elite pad specificaly. I've seen the usb dangle to hook up a wireless 360 pad to your pc go pretty cheap online, so if you have the controller already, I'd go that route. I don't use a 360 controller, so I'm not sure how many games directly support it, but it seems to be the standard controller for recent pc games, especially windows live supported games. I use a logitech wireless controller for games that don't feel quite right with m+kb, like Prototype and Street Fight IV, and for games on my mediacenter so I can play from the couch comfortably. Even if a game doesn't support the 360 pad directly, I'd imagine you could use a program like Xpadder to map the keyboard commands to your gamepad anyway.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've certainly heard of people using controllers for certain games. Any action game would probably do fine. RTS / FPS, not so much.

Recent example is that someone in the Champions Online thread reports configuring an xbox 360 controller for it just fine.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I think I have just gotten used the "feel" on the controller, the trigger firing guns etc...

Oh and the 360 is getting sold, my brother wants one, I hardly touch it now.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This might be a good idea for single player games, but if you're serious about making the switch back to PC games you should probably take it all the way and get yourself used to using a keyboard and mouse again. Your "feel" of the 360 controller is not going to do shit against a keyboard user. There's a reason that PS3 version of UT3 included a server-side option for limiting players to the controller (granted the keyboard/mouse never really got working in that anyway)

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I use my 360 controller to play Saints Row 2 on the PC. See, there's this thing about driving....a keyboard isn't analog. Whenever I beat it, I'll probably reinstall Prince of Persia and play that with the controller, too.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    So, after some time using a Macbook and a 360 I am looking at getting some new hardware, having heard that the PC versions of Dragon Age and Borderlands will be > the console ones (and the idea of Diablo 3 this decade) I am looking to make the leap back.

So, controllers on the PC, can you buy a black elite controller and use it on windows? is it ONLY the wired ones that work?

Will it work on games like Splinter Cell: Conviction which would be a pain with the keyboard, I prefer them for FPS will it work on MW2 without me getting capped (I hear mixed things)?

If you play FPS for multiplayer and only want to use a controller then don't buy FPSs. You'll just be wasting your time.

It'll work for singleplayer if you jack the difficulty way down though.

Generally speaking, controllers will work with most modern PC games without too many difficulties, but for some genres (lol RTS) you'd be crazy to consider using it over a mouse. Unless of course you hate fun. Then it would be great.

Docken on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I use my 360 controller to play Saints Row 2 on the PC. See, there's this thing about driving....a keyboard isn't analog. Whenever I beat it, I'll probably reinstall Prince of Persia and play that with the controller, too.

Good point those were the types of games he was talking about right?

Splinter Cell, Modern Warfare 2, Dragons Age, Borderlands, Diablo 3...wait a minute

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I can't count the number of times I've heard people be *shocked* that a certain control scheme is functional when they assume it'll be a huge impediment.

Especially in pub games.

Kinda silly. And some of you are being almost hostile about it.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    I think I have just gotten used the "feel" on the controller, the trigger firing guns etc...

Oh and the 360 is getting sold, my brother wants one, I hardly touch it now.

Then get "unused" to it, dude.

Pads on PCs are great for some platformers (like nuPoP) and racing games, oh and Saints Row 2 and GTAIV too (except for shooting in GTAIV, yeah, I actually drop the pad and pick M+K when the shooting starts). But they totally and utterly SUCK for FPS games.

And Splinter Cell PC plays much better on K+M too.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Scrublet wrote: »

Good point those were the types of games he was talking about right?

Splinter Cell, Modern Warfare 2, Dragons Age, Borderlands, Diablo 3...wait a minute

Yeah...it would be for SC, MW2 IF it worked and then any other action games. That said, I have well and truly been put off the idea, it's keyboard and mouse for moi.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I use a Saitek Cyborg pad. It's like a 360 pad, but the analog and d-pad can be removed and flipped to feel like a PS pad.

For those games that only work with 360 controllers, you can download a decent emulator at http://www.tocaedit.com. It has a controller mapping app, the only problem is you have to remove your pad, run the program, then plug it back in, close the program, and open it up again. That might just be a Windows 7 thing though.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The 360 is a p. boss controller, I love it. It's great for a PC.

Of course, I also have one of these sitting on my desk
    x52.jpg

See that shit? It's got a fucking flap that says "SAFE" on it, beacuse it's such a bad the fuck ass joystick that the button is DANGEROUS.

Robman on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Why would you bother getting the games for PC if you're going to use a 360 controller?

I do this a lot.

Sometimes the PC version is better, but pretty much as long as it's not an FPS or an RTS the 360 pad works better with it. I can't imagine playing, say DMC4 or Prototype or Dead Space with KBAM.

Also, to the OP, there's a 360 receiver you have to get, which should run about $20 if you can find it on its own in the wild. It's a wonderful little thing.

Though for FPSs.... get a comfortable and good mouse(G5 bitches), or in MP you'll get creamed. Actually with a good mouse you'll probably continue to get creamed at the beginning. PC MP in FPSs is some crazy assed shit. Really, you'll get used fast to a KBAM setup for RTS/FPS, even a few cRPG games... most of them have great controls for KBAM, and some(Crysis) just can't fit everything onto a gamepad well.

EDIT: Or just get a joystick with a safety. For all the flight sims that are released. I'm sure you'll use that when you play... HAWX and.....

Khavall on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    HAWX and Evochron Legends and FS:X (learn to fly, motherfucker) and Arma II and Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising and Precursors and Freespace 2 because Freespace 2 is still too good to fuck your sister.

Robman on
  • Options
    ArjanNArjanN Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    -SPI- wrote: »

I do this a lot.

Sometimes the PC version is better, but pretty much as long as it's not an FPS or an RTS the 360 pad works better with it. I can't imagine playing, say DMC4 or Prototype or Dead Space with KBAM.

Also, to the OP, there's a 360 receiver you have to get, which should run about $20 if you can find it on its own in the wild. It's a wonderful little thing.

Though for FPSs.... get a comfortable and good mouse(G5 bitches), or in MP you'll get creamed. Actually with a good mouse you'll probably continue to get creamed at the beginning. PC MP in FPSs is some crazy assed shit. Really, you'll get used fast to a KBAM setup for RTS/FPS, even a few cRPG games... most of them have great controls for KBAM, and some(Crysis) just can't fit everything onto a gamepad well.

EDIT: Or just get a joystick with a safety. For all the flight sims that are released. I'm sure you'll use that when you play... HAWX and.....

Prototype and Dead Space control better with mouse and keyboard IMO. DMC4 should definately be played with a controller though.

ArjanN on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dead space I can see... I did have to use the mouse during the stupid asteroids game stupid dead space.

Prototype I've heard good things about keyboard control, but the 360 controls were also pretty damn awesome.

Khavall on
  • Options
    SherlokSherlok Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was under the impression that console games 'assisted' a bit with aim (whether that means fudging hit boxes or adjusting the players aim a bit), but that could be wrong - the internet told me it.

You listed:

Dragon Age
    Borderlands
    Diablo 3

I'm pretty sure all of those games use numbered hotbars to some extent. Borderlands might not, but I know it has skills. Even if it doesn't, it's still an FPS and so would still benefit from mouse/keyboard. You could probably get away with a controller there, since from what I hear there's not much deathmatching (there's dueling, but you don't have to do it).

As for controller recommendations - I've got none. Those things just frustrate me.

Sherlok on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    Dead space I can see... I did have to use the mouse during the stupid asteroids game stupid dead space.

Prototype I've heard good things about keyboard control, but the 360 controls were also pretty damn awesome.

I loved Dead Space with M+K, but I'm playing Prototype with Pad. It's just so kick ass.

I mean, that's the great advantage of PCs. You can play each genre wit the best possible control scheme. Flight Sims and Space Sims with joystick or HOTAS (for those with money), sports games, platform games and arcade driving games with pad and FPS and RTS with M+K.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Grizzly_AddamsGrizzly_Addams Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    I recently sold my 360 to buy a new video card for my computer and have not regretted it.

I use my KBAM for all games suitable to it. FPS, RTS, etc.

I use my 360 controller for all games suitable to it. Action, Platform, etc.

I am going to be missing out on a few games until I decide to get another 360. Namely, Brutal Legend, Bayonetta, Darksiders, a handful of others.

My one complaint so far, Ghostbusters for the PC, even when using a KBAM to play the game, they kept in the acceleration curve for the crosshair as if you were using a controller. Very disorienting. I actually switched to the controller for that one just bc the mouse control was so unnatural.

Edit: Oh, and as for your question, a very large majority of recently released PC games will support the 360 controller out of the box, with no config necessary to mimic its console counterpart. Most recently for me this has included Prototype, Ghostbusters, Transformers 2.

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I recently sold my 360 to buy a new video card for my computer and have not regretted it.

I am going to be missing out on a few games until I decide to get another 360. Namely, Brutal Legend, Bayonetta, Darksiders, a handful of others.

My one complaint so far, Ghostbusters for the PC, even when using a KBAM to play the game, they kept in the acceleration curve for the crosshair as if you were using a controller. Very disorienting. I actually switched to the controller for that one just bc the mouse control was so unnatural.

Edit: Oh, and as for your question, a very large majority of recently released PC games will support the 360 controller out of the box, with no config necessary to mimic its console counterpart. Most recently for me this has included Prototype, Ghostbusters, Transformers 2.

That's weird, I didn't get that impression. Did you check the options? Did you have the controller plugged in while using M+K?

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Grizzly_AddamsGrizzly_Addams Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009

That's weird, I didn't get that impression. Did you check the options? Did you have the controller plugged in while using M+K?

There is no option for it. And no, no controller plugged in at the same time.

I posted on the Activision forums regarding the problem and several people "confirmed" the issue.

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png