As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD4E]What do you like in a story?

pd771pd771 Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Critical Failures
I have been playing D&D for a limited time, but when we finish with our current quest, I was asked by the group to be the DM (some want to start a new game on another day of the week). I have already been offerred help by our veteran D&D players to help me out with some of the duties, but part of the reason they asked me to DM was to help make up a fun and unique story.

I'm an ok writer, and have some ideas, but I want to make sure that the story will be enjoyable to a wide range of players. So, what do you each like in a D&D story? What is the most enjoyable part to you? What do you hate? What kinds of creatures are your favorites to battle (for low levels, as everyone is making a new character for the game)?

Any help is much appreciated.

pd771 on

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The thing that has always made my games both bad or good was the ability of the DM to keep the story moving. One of the worst things in either of my gaming groups (in 2 RL games currently) is when the GM gives us the clues to the hook but we either over think it or get stumped. Game grinds to a halt and every stops having fun. I'm not saying make a story that leads everyone around by the nose. But brickwalling in an adventure just sucks.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    MegazverMegazver Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Put the screws to them.

Megazver on
    Chief Tyrol. Academician Megazver of the Jol-Nar Universities
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I can't give too much advice on monsters and such, but for a good story I like a Hero's Journey. Now I'm fascinated by epics in general, so maybe it's just me, but these iconic symbols do seem to resonate with a large number of people, especially those who would have the predisposition to play D&D.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    MegazverMegazver Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Megazver on
    Chief Tyrol. Academician Megazver of the Jol-Nar Universities
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    pd771 wrote: »
    I'm an ok writer, and have some ideas, but I want to make sure that the story will be enjoyable to a wide range of players.

I'm gonna preface my response by saying that it may be more applicable to your gaming group if you ask your players these questions.
    So, what do you each like in a D&D story?

I personally prefer cartoonish "evil for the fun of it" villains. If I wanted moral ambiguity I'd play another game.

However, the plots shouldn't be too simple. I'm preparing to run Thunderspire Labyrinth, and I didn't care for the "find and rescue all the slaves" plot. Instead, I'm expanding a certain drow character from "find an item for me" to "I framed you and tricked a rival gang of slavers into kidnapping someone that was supposed to be left alone, so if you don't want to get slaughtered by the authorities you better do what they say and punish those slavers."
    What is the most enjoyable part to you?

Encountering unique features in combat encounters. This can really spice up fights. For example, a crypt could contain a font of necrotic energy that heals undead within a certain area. In addition to defeating the undead the PCs also have to keep them out of that specific area.
    What do you hate?

Following a pre-written script. There's always some of this in an adventure, but ideally the players should have an impact on what they do and how other characters react. It's helpful to come up with some basic ideas that you can fall back on should the players do something completely unexpected.
    What kinds of (low-level) creatures are your favorites to battle?

Goblins, myconids, bullywugs, kruthiks, and skeletons.

Hexmage-PA on