As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Graphic Violence Presents: Difficult Powers to Draw! NOW WITH POLL! VOTE!

DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
edited September 2009 in Graphic Violence
Welcome to the second Graphic Violence Presents: Create a Super Hero/Villain contest! The first one went well, so let's keep it up!

The Theme is: MY POWER IS AWESOME BUT REALLY HARD TO DRAW. Laser eyes? Simple. Superstrength? Have him lift a car. But your assignment is to come up with a guy whose powers are ridiculously difficult to render in art. Good luck!

HERE ARE YOUR ENTRIES: VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE

The Beard - (Lucascraft)
Revoltra - (Servo)
Babble - (Munch)
Negative Space - (MarkGoodhart)
Merle Nathaniel Johnson - (ManonvonSuperock)
Rice A Ronnie - (TexiKen)
Riffraff - (Hayasa)
Snake Oil - (Golden Yak)
Hydra - (see317)
Π-Man - (Thane)

DJ Eebs on

• Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Query: Are superpowers that theoretically could be drawn, but will likely make the artist curl up in a little ball and cry like a woman considered fair game, or is it just superpowers submissions that are next to impossible to draw?

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It just says "really hard," so go for it. Keep in mind that not meeting the theme will probably cost you votes!

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I keep having really bad ideas that I don't want to use as my official entry.

Geebs can I post bad ideas anonymously?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Nope!

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I guess I'll jump in here and kick this off with a silly idea I had.

HERO SUBMISSION:

The Beard

Jimmy Mayhew is just a normal guy that does normal things. However, his beard is sentient. And telepathic. Jimmy often does what the beard tells him to do, because he knows it is the right thing to do. But Jimmy is just an ordinary man. When he gets into a scrape with a villain, it is the beard that does the grunt work, although you would never be able to tell. Because it is just a beard. On a dude's face.

The_Beard.jpg

Powers: The beard is a strong telepath and has telekinetic abilities which are tied to its telepathy.
    Weaknesses: The beard has no control over Jimmy. It can ask him to do things via telepathic communication, but it does not control him.

A second weakness is that the beard's strength is diminished when Jimmy shaves. Because of this, Jimmy must keep a rather lengthy beard, which, while not a terrible thing, has been known to get him some strange looks from passers-by.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    HERO SUBMISSION

Revoltra

Revoltra (aka Ali Factery) was a simple perfume chemical technician for CosMetrix cosmetics company. She served her company loyally until one fateful day...the day she discovered that her boss, Mark Marcus, had been developing and selling illegal mind-control scents to North Korea, Iran, various terror groups around the world, and high-schools eager to quell rowdy students. When the heretofore meek Ali confronted her boss with her knowledge above the vast, bubbling perfume pits deep in the heart of CosMetrix, he responded by pulling a gun! Half-regretfully, he shot his best chemical technician and rolled her into the perfume vats.

Little did he know that their newest aroma, Luciously Lavenderesque, had been infused with rocks taken from a nearby meteor strike, at the behest of a mysterious investor known only as The Nose. When the space-tainted perfume entered through Ali's bullet wound into her bloodstream, she was...transformed!

Now, as Revoltra, she has the ability to manifest any odor at will. From cookies so enticingly sweet that guards are lured away from their posts just for the chance to taste them, to farts so mind-rottingly foul that even a moment's exposure renders one unconcious for hours, Revoltra can produce it all! She now uses these amazing abilities in the fight against CosMetrix and to gain revenge against Mark Marcus. She is helped from time to time by that same mystery benefactor The Nose, but even Ali is unaware how much she is being helped...and how much she is being manipulated...

revoltra.jpg

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ali Factery - love it.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    dang servo dang

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    What? no love for the beard? Its a telepathic beard, people!

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    What? no love for the beard? Its a telepathic beard, people!
    But telepathy and telekinesis are both fairly common super powers in comics, so it's hardly like they'd be tough to draw, right? The Beard twitches one way, and Jimmy hears voices. The Beard twitches another way and pulls a beer through the air for Jimmy. The beard frizzes out like a pissed off cat and a car goes flying across the road to smash a bankrobber.

Also the way his eyes follow me around the room is creeping me out to much to comment further.

see317 on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    the drawing is golden lucas

golden

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've got one to post this weekend that should be pretty good with a different take on the power. I have it written already, I'm just doodling a bit to see if I can come up with something going beyond my Land phase.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Look. The Beard doesn't twitch. Its just a beard. It cannot twitch unless Jimmy twitches.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ah, so that's how you do an olfactory superpower that's not Daken's.

That was driving me nuts, because the power set was something I've wanted to do (based on years of using it in other fiction).

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thought bubbles positioned lower so they're obviously coming from the beard.

Colored smell-o-vision, similar to DD's radar being shown.

I demand these entries to be mo'betta.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It's a hard topic.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Don't blame me for the topic. I voted for Kodos.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    A humanoid collection of ball bearing-sized super-gizmos.

:/

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Origin: An introverted and withdrawn child, it came as some surprise to her parents when, at age four, Etta Rose demonstrated fluency in the Spanish language. But given their rather diverse neighborhood, comprised largely of second and third generation Hispanics, including her own mother, it was not completely unexpected. It was a bit more startling when young Etta began to incorporate signing into her conversations, following a week-long PBS series on English sign language. By age five she had learned German from the landlord of her family's apartment, and Italian from the old woman that ran the local meatball cart. By six she could speak Portuguese, Mandarin, Hindi, Cantonese, and knew more slang and curse words, English and otherwise, than anyone else in the neighborhood. Eager to develop their young prodigy's talent, her parents supplied her with a steady diet of foreign language books, movies, and television series, which Etta all but devoured. By age ten she was fluent in over one hundred languages.

Upon graduation, Etta would have had no problem finding lucrative work in any in dozens of fields. But having grown up in a low-income, crime-riddled neighborhood had instilled in Etta a desire to use her unique talents to help those who could not help themselves. Of course, those circumstances had also instilled in her a desire to escape her meager origins, and build a better life not just for herself, but for her family as well.

Today Etta functions as something of a freelance troubleshooter, lending her talents to whoever can afford her fee, and some who can't. Often working in conjunction with the local police department, many of the officers have taken to calling Etta by a nickname, Babble, both as an ironic play on her introverted nature, as well as a nod to her unique talents.

Powers and Abilities: Fluent in every known human language, including many that have not been used in decades or centuries. She has even picked up a few alien languages, during her occasional brushes with the paranormal. While many believe Etta's abilities only extend to spoken languages, she actually has many talents that stem from her innate ability to understand languages. She is a genius mathematician, computer programmer, hacker, and musical composer. Additionally, she can read and interpret body language to such a degree that she can instantly detect a person's disposition, tell when they're lying, and even predict their next movement with a fair degree of accuracy.

What Etta lacks, however, are some of the practical skills required to make full use of her abilities. Because while she might be able to perfectly interpret a person's mood and tell them what they need or want to hear, her undeveloped social skills make it difficult for her to have sincere interactions. Likewise, she can compose and read music, but lacks the skill to actually play any instruments. And while she engages in moderate exercise and can predict an opponent's attacks, she herself is a poor combatant.
    I tried to be a bit more brief this time. Art will be forthcoming soon.

Munch on
  • Options
    MarkGoodhartMarkGoodhart Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Origin: if you went to high school with him, you wouldn't remember Gregory Landers. Sure, you sat next to him in geometry. Maybe you passed him on the bus as he walked to school. And yeah, you cut in front of him in line for fish sticks. But despite him being there each and every day, he is the guy in the yearbook who everyone looks at and wonders to themselves, "who?" Gregory wasn't trying to be sneaky or anything. He just was completely unremarkable in each and every way. And he wasn't angry about the whole thing either. Gregory just figured people has more important things to do than pay attention to him.

So as time got by, things continue. His parents move out of town and forget to take him. He can't get a job because no one remembers ever speaking to him. He has no where to go until he simply decides to move in with the people next door. And they don't mind because they don't know he's there. He takes what he needs from stores and simply walks out the door and no one complains.

But hey, hes not a jerk. Gregory knew he had to do something for the stuff he was taking and started doing things for people that needed them done. Mrs. Hort lost her dog? Gregory got the puppy back. The president of the United States about to be assassinated by an international gunman? Gregory stopped him cold. Floxnort the Terrible tries to destroy the world? Gregory keeps his stuff there!

He saves the world and can't get noticed.

He lives in...

NEGATIVE SPACE

Powers: Negative Space is completely unremarkable in every way and does so in such a manner that he often actually fades into the background even when people are looking right at him. Like the vase with the two faces on the side in it except no one (in the comic book world) can see him. Artistically speaking I guess someone could draw that but I'm not sure how :cry: Anyway the point isn't that NS is invisible, but he's naturally in the background and like Sherlock Holmes would trip over him.

MarkGoodhart on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    there's a pretty great larry niven book called "a gift from earth" where a dude discovers he's a mutant who has basically that power. he can make himself so "uninteresting" that he's effectively invisible, even if people are actively searching for him. it also affects their short-term memory of him and towards the end of the book he discovers he can do it in reverse as well and make people super-fascinated by him, literally unable to look away.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Merle Nathaniel Johnson

Merle N. (get it? har har) is a black American born in 2015 and is living backwards in time for what he hopes to be the full century.

Every interaction Merle has is in reverse time, he's learned to control the affliction and tonality of his voice, essentially speaking backwards so the people he interacts with can understand him, and as it's all he knows, he can understand the people that talk to him just fine. Merle searches out crimes, watches them unhappen, and then seeks out those that would be interested, but there's no bazillion branches of timelines here. If his actions prevent something from occurring, then he did not see it occur to prevent those actions.

Representation:
    I could see the sequencing of panels following Merle while everything around him happens in reverse, or following the normal sequence while Merle's interactions are reversed.

The difficulty would come in presenting his interaction with his environment. Could he hold a conversation, because he would only know what someone said to him before he said it and vice versa? How about interaction with physical objects? His timeline is reversed, but how does that affect inanimate objects? If he kicks a ball, does it fly away in reverse time to him or us? Would he even be able to wear clothes, or process oxygen molecules?

Not much to this, but I always thought the "Merlin lives backwards in time" shit was bullshit, and everytime it was mentioned in a King Arthur movie or story, I'd spend the rest of the time trying to logically construct how that'd work.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hero Submission!

Rice A Ronnie!

Ronald Pham is the son of Vietnamese immigrants who came to this country in search of a better life. Growing up, he experienced the merging of Vietnamese and American culture. But this had its problems. Unbeknownst to him, Ronnie was actually the direct descendant of the great Vietnamese hero Lac Long Quan. On the day of his 21st birthday, at 7:08 pm, Ronnie opened a package that came from his father’s hometown in Phan Tiet and found that he now had the ability to control 100 unique pieces of sentient long grain rice, each a representation of the 100 original Vietnamese names. With this odd yet amazing gift, Ronnie uses the resources of the secret CIA organization, Group R (Ronnie is a bit egotistical and wanted his own team of people to help him, see) sets out to defend the world from the evil villains created by the Melancholy Happiness Conglomerate, a women’s clothing manufacturer that is actually a front organization for the combined powers of Sunny Vo, the illegitimate successor to Quan’s legacy, and Stacy Duboir, a French Canadian millionaire obsessed with trying to destroy American society in order for Canada to rape and pillage her natural resources.

Powers: These rice pieces are Ronnie’s to control and form objects with. Anything he can think, they can form. A shield, a sword, anything. The rice is also capable of creating flight, and when all pieces make contact with his skin, they allow Ronnie to have super strength.

Weaknesses: They are only 100 pieces of rice, meaning the objects that can be created are always small in size. One piece must always remain in contact with Ronnie’s skin to channel the power of the king. The catch is that each grain must never be more than 5 cm apart from another piece of rice, lest their link to the ancient king’s power disappears, and they lose their power.

Image (I spent 20 minutes on it!):

RAR3.jpg

Grant Morrison ain’t got nothin’ on me. Great Ten? More like Great Dien Bien Phu, m i rite?

Also, it’s a different interpretation of really hard to draw, as in it can be drawn but it’s really hard to draw it, especially in small panels.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Gregory Landers? More like Moist von Lipwig.
    which means I'll likely be voting for him

Antimatter on
  • Options
    HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hero/Villain submission - more like a Hulk, but not

Riffraff

The son of an eighty year old oil billionaire and his smoking hot trophy wife, Richard Rafferty Jr is the old man's heir-apparent by design.

Having spent years trying to have a son to one day take over the empire, Richard Rafferty Sr persisted in his goal by taking in succession eight beautiful wives who bore him only worthless daughters! Argh! Being a good Catholic, and wishing to ensure that his heir was born in matrimony, the mothers all met unfortunate and untimely deaths.

Richard Rafferty Sr eventually gave up on doing things the natural way, having finally decided that he was perhaps getting a little old to do so, and secretly set about contracting for the services of the `eccentric' and imprisoned biotechnologist, Professor Magnus Motley, who for a significant fee and his carefully arranged freedom, constructed the closest thing possible to a clone of the old man.

From no less than 256 different sources, the Professor composited a single embryo that would reflect the genetic characteristics of R. Rafferty Sr in every way. Once a suitable matching mother/host was found (and mindwiped into being a willing wife to R. Rafferty Sr.) the embryo was implanted and the job done.

Richard Rafferty Jr ("Please, call me Rick") led a privileged childhood, and was groomed to take over the empire, despite never meeting his father's expectations. Regularly Rick would be lectured on lacking the killer instinct to the point that these lectures seemed to stick in his head.

It was when R.R. Senior met his unfortunate end (choked on an olive) that the riffraff first appeared; the stress of the situation triggering Rick's entire form to return to its original fragmented state! Dividing into 256 little Rick Raffertys, each with a will and drive of its own!

Spoilered for long:

Personality:
    Rick is a stereotypical, affable rich guy. He likes yachting, golf and making money. The key to his attitude is that where his father worked for everything he had, Rick hasn’t had to, and in theory is a much nicer fellow for it – or at least, he appears to be. He enjoys helping various charities (not with work, but with money and photo opportunities) and is seen to be a pillar of the community. Rick is only very vaguely aware of what goes on when the Riffraff take over, and does what he can to prevent this.

The riffraff, however, have the same nasty disposition as R.R. Senior; what they want, they will take. They love money, power and status and will be readily led into actions that will see them claim all three. When stuck together as R. R. Junior, they still exercise a certain amount of control over him and are ready to share their capitalist, sleazebag viewpoints on all the issues of the day.

Power: When exceptionally stressed, hungry, or when a special effort is made to do so, Rick splits into 256 little people, each representative of a piece of his original in vitro creation. Each has the strength and toughness of a full-sized human, stands about 4.5 inches high and weighs about 60 grams.

The Riffraff are like little locusts, and are naturally drawn to foodstuffs high in energy; their desire for such is that they can be persuaded to do things in return for a reward of such - at least, if they don't feel they can take such a reward by force.

Weaknesses: The key weakness of the Riffraff is that if they run out of energy, they will naturally revert to being Rick; if one is able to keep them in a space that the strength of 256 humans couldn't breach, this is achievable.

Similarly, keeping Rick calm and on a sensible diet (which he tries to do himself) will keep the Riffraff from emerging for prolonged periods.

Only very few people know that Rick is the Riffraff.

Costume: None. The Riffraff appear as 256 little naked R. Raffertys, adding to the difficulties in drawing them.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm reminded of that 'How to be a Superhero' book illustrated by Steve Dillon, where an argument between a shapechanger who's adopted 'The state of Iowa' as a secret identity and his wife is accompanied by a note from Dillon saying 'Thank you from the bottom of my heart for not asking me to draw this conversation.'

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Snake Oil

snakeoil.jpg

Origin - Snake Oil was once a small-time crook who took a black market super-drug designed to endow the user with super-human abilities. Generally resulting in a temporary boost to strength or speed, or bestowing limited energy projection, a small number of users had an extreme reaction to the drug, developing spectacular and deadly super-powers. Snake Oil was one such user, and quickly established himself as one of the most dangerous.

Powers - Snake Oil can psychically generate a tide of metamorphic black ooze that flows out of the air around himself. This living oil slick invariable shapes itself into hordes of writhing serpents, constantly manifesting out of the slime and being reabsorbed. Their jaws and eyes are lit from inside by an eerie red light. Snake Oil can psychically direct the snakes to attack whatever he wants them to. They can flow through the smallest cracks or form into gigantic creatures capable of crushing armored vehicles.

-

I didn't spend a whole lot of time of the origin story obviously (rates just below X-Factor in terms of originality I know) but I was more focused on creating a unique super-power that was also difficult to draw. And say what you will, drawing thousands of oily writhing snakes bifurcating and recombining every panel would drive any artist mad.

And incidentally, Negative Space is the best.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Good drawing, but visually I'd say it's too similar to the symbiotes to be considered difficult to draw.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Trust me, the only thing that would make powers like this harder to draw would be to substitute black slime snakes for chains. Thousands upon thousands of twisting, interconnected chains. And 'Chain Man' wouldn't have the clever name.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    so far you've listed venom and spawn.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hydra
    Hydra was born in ancient Sparta, and quickly rose to a position of prominence in the military.
    A night of drunken debauchery found him boasting of his courage and skill in the temple of Heracles the night before a battle. Boldly he spoke of the brutality he had inflicted in the past and that he planned to glory in in the coming battle. Predictably, his boasting drew the attention of the Immortal Heracles to witness what would surely be true bravery in combat.

In the coming battle, the Spartan forces found themselves outnumbered by a vast army. Terrified beyond imagining the man who would become Hydra placed himself to the rear of the phalanx formation. As the initial charge of the foes army shattered into and through the heavily armed phalanx, Hydra dropped his shield and spear and retreated from battle. He turned his back on his friends, his brothers, his people and his honor that day.

That night, he was visited by Heracles, who came bearing a reward for his actions...
    This was 1300 years ago.

Powers
    Cursed by the gods for his hubris and cowardice, Hydra's primary ability is regeneration which also provides him with immortality. Like his namesake, Hydra regenerates two of any limb, organ or bodypart that is seperated from his core, unless the wound is immediatly cauterized by fire.

Currently Hydra is restrained to a planning role in his criminal organization, as his mass of limbs is difficult to control in a direct physical fight. Having several brains allows Hydra to devote himself to considering several problems and plots at any time as well as allowing him to discuss his plans to find any potential flaws. However, should enough of his limbs be removed and cauterized to render him near-human again it may be found that he is still a spartan hoplite and quite capable on the battlefield.

Appearence
    Hydra is a freak. His body is a twisted mass of limbs, stumps and ancient burn scars.
    His constant regeneration leaves him in continual agony as any tooth that is broken or knocked out is immediatly replaced by two teeth attempting to grow into the same spot (and with 5 seperate sets of teeth, this occurs frequently) and he is unable to control his multitude of limbs to any effect without a great deal of concentration.
    So, who wants to draw a guy with hundreds of limbs, and gaining more each day unless he lights himself on fire, or is lucky enough to fight a guy with fire powers?

see317 on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Servo wrote: »
    there's a pretty great larry niven book called "a gift from earth" where a dude discovers he's a mutant who has basically that power. he can make himself so "uninteresting" that he's effectively invisible, even if people are actively searching for him. it also affects their short-term memory of him and towards the end of the book he discovers he can do it in reverse as well and make people super-fascinated by him, literally unable to look away.

the legion threeboot did this too with one of the main bad guys

It was innate first and then he learned how to control it so that people would notice him and then he'd wipe any trace of the incident ever occurring from their mind

Me Too! on
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pi_Man_by_thanekats.jpg

Π-Man was blessed by the Gods with the ability to gain monumental mathematical skills and the ability to see life in a Geometrical way, allowing him to solve problems, eerily similar to a certain genius in the marvel universe.
    The catch is that his power and skills are based on how many digits of Π he can recite in a row, and that he sees everything in the form of Geometrical Objects. So say he gets the first 20 digits, his vision is normal but somewhat blurred with mathematical reality. As he gets higher on the scale, the mathematical world slowly takes over, basically gimping him, because he sees everything as cubes, spheres, Ellipses and so on.

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Remember, the deadline for entries is in two days!

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS HAS PASSED

Poll coming shortly.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Poll is open!

DJ Eebs on