As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sen. Ted Kennedy dies at 77

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ted Kennedy arguably had more political impact over the last 40 years than a good half of our presidents.

He at east had a hand in writing just about every medical and civil rights bill in the last 30 years.

Laura Ingraham has already said today that Democrats will use Kennedy's death to push their priorities through. "Come one, guys, Ted Kennedy is dead. Let's smoothly pass this health care bill in honor of him."

emnmnme on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Ted Kennedy arguably had more political impact over the last 40 years than a good half of our presidents.

He at east had a hand in writing just about every medical and civil rights bill in the last 30 years.

Laura Ingraham has already said today that Democrats will use Kennedy's death to push their priorities through. "Come one, guys, Ted Kennedy is dead. Let's smoothly pass this health care bill in honor of him."
    She's probably right. Let's just hope they don't fuck it up.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I miss you Ted. *handkerchief*

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

This is Ted Kennedy we're talking about.
    His will probably expressly states that all Democrats should exploit his death to their advantage.

Hachface on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hachface wrote: »

His will probably expressly states that all Democrats should exploit his death to their advantage.

His will likely requests he be airlifted into to the senate floor for the health care vote.

kildy on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    kildy wrote: »

His will likely requests he be airlifted into to the senate floor for the health care vote.

As well as the rest of the family, who apparently have a tradition of never letting the body be alone, even going so far as sleeping in the coffin with the body.

What the hell is it with Christians and dead bodies? How can if possibly take so long to dig a hole that you have to pasteurize grandma and replace her organs with wax replicas?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I met the Senator when I was an intern in college. I'd have to go to his office (Jesus, God. Wow.) some times, but I met him in the halls of the building. And the funny thing is that of everyone I saw and met, he was the one who made me awestruck (and this is coming from someone who literally ran into Daniel Patrick Moynihan in the hall--I bounced off him, and nearly ran over Strom Thurmond getting off an elevator).

He was a remarkable, amazing man. I'm sad that he's gone.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ...and nearly ran over Strom Thurmond getting off an elevator).

If only you'd kept going.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    korodullin wrote: »

If only he had been pulling out of a parking lot.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I'm surprised she didn't blame his death on a Obamacare death squad picking him off to save 45 cents

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    korodullin wrote: »

Yeah, yeah. I hear that a lot.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    My company's flag is still at full mast. And I'm in fucking Massachusetts. I hate this company.
    Would this be more or less surprising if you were in Arizona?

... Less?

I mean... Massachusetts is his home state and the state he represented in the Senate.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    My company's flag is still at full mast. And I'm in fucking Massachusetts. I hate this company.

... Less?

I mean... Massachusetts is his home state and the state he represented in the Senate.
    Obviously. Which is why I was confused by the addition of Massachusetts to the list of grievances.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

... Less?

Obviously. Which is why I was confused by the addition of Massachusetts to the list of grievances.

That doesn't make sense. Justin was complaining that the company wasn't demonstrating grief by way of its flag, and them being in Massachusetts only makes it more surprising because of its connection to Kennedy.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

... Less?

That doesn't make sense. Justin was complaining that the company wasn't demonstrating grief by way of its flag, and them being in Massachusetts only makes it more surprising because of its connection to Kennedy.
    Ah, I misread. I thought the flag was at half mast and he was offended by that. Mea culpa.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The loss of Ted Kennedy is a sad day for us. I see the people who obsess on his younger transgressions seem to forget how he fought for the people he represented and not just big money. He fought for civil rights, health care, and the working man. He was a great man, and I hope maybe even in death he will help this country and give the democrats the spine they need and get us a decent health care system.

He will be missed. He was the last of the 4 brothers, each who served this country to their death in the most literal way.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Now there is no one in the Senate who gives you a shit about you.

Except Russ Feingold.

Hachface on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yup, they're all selfish assholes. Sigh.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lots of tributes on the Red Sox broadcast tonight. It's really nice.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Except Russ Feingold.

Dick Durbin's alright. So's Chuck Schumer more or less.

And Byrd loves you, if you live in West Virginia and he can put his name on whatever it is you want.

moniker on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Heartlash wrote: »
    Ginrai wrote:
    Also this might be the best political cartoon about Kennedy.

That made the eyes water a bit.

Wow. I hate political cartoons, but that one was so sad...
    man, I was expecting something stupid and insensitive, but this made me pause

:(

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's gotta be incredibly rough to spend forty years without your brothers.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd imagine it'd be as rough as spending forty years with your brothers.

Goose! on
  • Options
    Grim SqueakerGrim Squeaker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bloody hell, I'm not even American and that cartoon made me almost cry...

Rest in peace, Ted Kennedy...

Rest in peace

Grim Squeaker on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    When I was 19, almost 20, I left my crappy job at CompUSA and got a much better one with CableVision as HSI support as cable internet was first launching in Boston. This was July 2000. In August my intestines became severely ulcerated and I nearly bled to death. Twice. Were it not for COBRA, which Kennedy was a strong proponent of, I would have had to declare bankruptcy over the $120,000+ in uninsured medical bills. And without insurance and the ability to pay, I may have been denied the surgery that I needed. And were it not for FMLA, something else Kennedy strongly believed in, my family would not have been able to take time off from work to care for me, either.

I owe Ted Kennedy a great deal, and I regret I was never able to thank him face to face for everything he has done.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A handful of the crazier right wingers are mad that Kennedy is getting a Catholic wake and burial, considering he supported a woman's right to choose. Some say he should be excommunicated for being pro-abortion.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A handful of the crazier right wingers are mad that Kennedy is getting a Catholic wake and burial, considering he supported a woman's right to choose. Some say he should be excommunicated for being pro-abortion.

Unless the person(s) espousing these opinions are Catholic it's really none of their business what the church will and won't permit.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    moniker wrote: »

Except Russ Feingold.

And Byrd loves you, if you live in West Virginia and he can put his name on whatever it is you want.

Hey, let's not forget Webb, he's good.

psychotix on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The same people would freak the fuck out if the church started excommunicating people who supported the war in Iraq.

Also, if the church excommunicated Ted Kennedy, they may as well just close up shop in Massachusetts.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    gigEsmallsgigEsmalls __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    psychotix wrote: »

Except Russ Feingold.

John McCain, hands down. I'm willing to bet when he dies he'll get just as much coverage as Ted did.

gigEsmalls on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    gigEsmalls wrote: »

Except Russ Feingold.

John McCain, hands down. I'm willing to bet when he dies he'll get just as much coverage as Ted did.

You're right on the second part.

moniker on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    And he'd deserve it, with his vast number of legislative accomplishments...

Oh, right, he only has one.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Most of the accounts of Wyden that I've heard make him out to be a pretty good guy in terms of caring about constituents. In terms of overall effectiveness... ehhhh

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    RedTide wrote: »

Unless the person(s) espousing these opinions are Catholic it's really none of their business what the church will and won't permit.

Dont'cha know? Catholics are not allowed to be sinners.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've been offline for the last couple of days moving my brother into college, and I just found out about this at 1:30 in the morning today (from rerun of E! of all places, some crap about Arnold). As stupid as it sounds, I took this surprisingly hard. He was by no means perfect, but he was an institution and as close to an unvarnished force for good as has existed in congress in my lifetime. It's the first time I can honestly say I was stunned to hear about the death of someone I didn't personally know.

With his loss we're worse off today than we were the day before, and that's the best tribute any of us can hope for when we pass.

werehippy on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Except Russ Feingold.

I get the feeling he really doesn't care about his constituents.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nimble Cat wrote: »

Except Russ Feingold.

I get the feeling he really doesn't care about his constituents.
    Well, that would at least be something we can agree on, since I don't care about his constituents, either.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The funeral mass is occurring right now and two of the readings have been very appropriate.

Response: Justice shall flourish in his time, and fullness of peace for ever.
    O God, with your judgment endow the king,
    and with your justice, the king’s son;
    He shall govern your people with justice
    and your afflicted ones with judgment.
    R. Justice shall flourish in his time, and fullness of peace for ever.
    For he shall rescue the poor when he cries out,
    and the afflicted when he has no one to help him.
    He shall have pity for the lowly and the poor;
    the lives of the poor he shall save.
    Blessed be the LORD, the God of Israel,
    who alone does wondrous deeds.
    And blessed forever be his glorious name;
    may the whole earth be filled with his glory.

The Judgement of Nations
    31"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

44"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

Teddy spent his whole life fighting for the poor and for those who needed help. He fought to feed the hungry, to welcome the stranger (immigrant), visit the prisoner metaphorically in promoting justice and of course, look after the sick.

ed2
    The Funeral can be watched online

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The Judgement of Nations

Nothing about the gays? I'm shocked.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2009
    The judgement of nations is possibly the best biblical reference I have seen as to why the fundamentalists should be 100% behind welfare, social security, and Medicare for everyone.

If society lived up to that standard, the world would be a better place.

And yes, super relevant for Ted Kennedy.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...