As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wall Street 2

ElkiElki get busyModerator, ClubPA mod
edited August 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
A film within a film in Cecil B. Demented is Gump Two, the sequel to Forrest Gump; the idea is pretty funny, and almost makes you want to see such a sequel. I presume Oliver Stone wants to make the idea behind that a reality with a sequel to a film that doesn't really need one (not that any film needs a sequel).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_Street_2

Michael Douglas returns as Gordon Gekko, and Shia LaBeouf (don't make the joke) and Josh Brolin (<3) join as new characters.

Plot outline, lifted from wikipedia:

The film is set 20 years[13] after the first film, in June 2008. Gordon Gekko (Michael Douglas) has just been released from his prison sentence of 20 years. Despite initial attempts of Gekko trying to warn Wall Street of the soon-to-be economy down-fall, stock market crash no one believes him due to his now defaced image in the financial world. Gekko then decided to re-focus his attention to rebuilding a relationship with his now-estranged daughter Winnie (Carey Mulligan). Due to the time apart from Gekko and his daughter (because of his prison sentence), the real for his arrest, and also due to the fact that Gekko caused Winnie's brother Rudy's suicide,[16] Winnie avoids any contact with him.

During this same period in time, young Wall Street trader Jacob's (Shia LaBeouf) mentor un-expectedly dies (Frank Langella), and Jacob suspects his hedge fund manager (Josh Brolin) of being involved in his mentor's death. Jacob, who is Winnie's fiance, wanting to seek revenge, turns to and agrees to teams-up with Gekko for help, in return Jacob agrees to helps Gekko repair his relationship with Winnie.[15]

Despite originally being said that the film takes place 11 years later, it was confirmed that the film takes place 20 years after the time set in the first film. The film is set in June 2008, before the Wall Street stock market crash and federal bail out, and spans throughout the aftermath of the stock market crash.

Variety reported that the film's plot will center on "the modern-day story will again center on Gordon Gekko, who has recently been sprung from prison and re-emerges into a much more tumultuous financial world than the one he once lorded over".[17][18]

LaBeouf has also described the film, as being “a walk and talk money movie” that is both “wordy and heady.”[19] LaBeouf also stated that the film will be "different" also that it will be dealing with the "crime of the century".[20] The film was said to "once again involve a young Wall Street trader" (presumably LaBeouf's character Jacob) and that the plot center's around the recent economic meltdown "spurred by rampant greed and corruption".[21] Douglas's character, Gordon has been described in the beginning of the film as being on the “fringe of the financial community”.[22]
I'm no film purist, but the whole idea seems a hair away from a very bad parody. But as that cast list would tell you, the movie is no joke, and probably had a considerable budget. It's all very bizzare.

Wall Street is a perfectly good film about greed. A sequel with a guy who 'warns of a crash' and with an estranged father/murder revenge plot seems wholly unnecessary.

smCQ5WE.jpg
Elki on

• DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A Forrest Gump sequel was in the works and production had already started, but it got canned after 9/11 for whatever reason.

Daedalus on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I agree with this being bizzare, but I'm not surprised by anything Hollywood does anymore.

I don't know if that's bad or good.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • gigEsmallsgigEsmalls __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    I hadn't seen a Oliver Stone film since Alexander :v: I'll give almost any movie the benefit of the doubt and if Wallstreet 2 has good reviews then I'll see it but most likely on cable :)

gigEsmalls on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, this'll be rent-tastic if only to watch the potential train wreck.

But who knows, maybe it'll be good.

Probably not, though.

mcdermott on
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The whole murder plot thing sounds terrible.

Also, Winnie Gekko? That would just be cruel.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah it looks like they decided to take what was a great movie about the excess of the 80's and retool it for the present financial collapse...only they took out all the fun 80's excess parts and just kept Michael Douglas. It would have been more interesting if Gekko got pardoned in '88/'92 or something and managed to rebuild an empire in the real estate world since he'd have trouble with getting investors thanks to his rap sheet &c. and basically just make it the same original story, just different.

moniker on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    young Wall Street trader Jacob's (Shia LaBeouf) mentor un-expectedly dies (Frank Langella), and Jacob suspects his hedge fund manager (Josh Brolin) of being involved in his mentor's death. Jacob, who is Winnie's fiance, wanting to seek revenge, turns to and agrees to teams-up with Gekko for help, in return Jacob agrees to helps Gekko repair his relationship with Winnie.[15]

no... just no...

Holy fuck, if this film is actually being made with that actual plot, I hereby retroactively nominate 'Boiler Room' for an academy fucking award.

Deebaser on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    D:

That movie sounds terrible. The summary could only have come from MadLibs

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The point is, ladies and gentleman, that sequels -- for lack of a better word -- are good.

Sequels are right.

Sequels work.

Sequels clarify, cut through, and capture the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Sequels, in all of their forms -- sequels for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- have marked the upward surge of mankind.

And sequels -- you mark my words -- will not only save 20th Century Fox, but that other productions company called the USA.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu