As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotW 8-26-09: Too Close to Home

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There was a new Deadpool today? Bastards didn't put that in my pile.

Hensler on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    They're not in public. They're in Norman's private compound.

He seems to be wearing an X uniform which would lead me to believe that somebody thought he might be a visible part of the team. Which, knowing it's Osborn and HAMMER, is probably par for the crazy course.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    smokmnky wrote: »
    Anyone reading Runaways still? Could you tell me what the hell is happening in this story line? I'm thinking that Immonen's story just isn't making any sense with me.
    Some rocket hits the Malibu place, Old Lace dies. Klara flips out. Chase's Uncle and some military dudes goes to check the place. Everyone is an asshole to each other. They find the leapfrog reserve. Chase seems to kill his uncle for whatever reason, and they split as the house starts burning down.

Chase puts is in perspective when he says they're right back where they started. Nothing of value has happened in this storyline so far.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Chase and Nico kissed again, and it seemed like it hinted at them having done so more often than that one time in Vaughn's run

Runaways is completely skipable now.

TexiKen on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Green Lantern was great, thinking we'll finally see Indigo next month, and Larfleeze was just such a great moment

Nova was also rad as fuck

The Metamorpho page of WC was amazing

And Doctor Pyg was genuinely fucking terrifying in B+R

Oh oh oh and Flash Rebirth, while I wasn't sure about this revelation at first, is kinda growing on me. It's cementing Barry's status as "greatest Flash ever"

Me Too! on
    edited August 2009
    And the Jimmy Olsen Special this week:
    Codename: Assassin "kills" Jimmy, shoots him in the chest twice, he falls into a river a keeps falling down, and Mon-El can't save him because in Superman #691 he was beat up underneath the Metroplolis sewers and Lane's group had them collapse the system on him.

Maybe Krypto or Superman or Superboy will save him.

TexiKen on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ringo wrote: »
    Faynor wrote: »
    They're not in public. They're in Norman's private compound.

He seems to be wearing an X uniform which would lead me to believe that somebody thought he might be a visible part of the team. Which, knowing it's Osborn and HAMMER, is probably par for the crazy course.

Oh, yeah, that reminds me. The Dark X-Men oneshot.
    Norman decided he wanted Northstar's sister on the team so built this contraption that would block her main conciousness so one of her split personalities (which are far more devious) would help him. The split personality was all, thanks but no thanks bye and then he pressed a button and it super shocked her.

In a pretty cool couple of scenes which I'm too lazy to scan, she keeps cycling between different personalities with thought bubbles like "I like this, this, and this" everytime the machine pins down her thought patterns. She ends up getting cornered by Osborn with a gun but managed to knock it away and this happens.

img036.jpg

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh and a little thing about Flash Rebirth I just noticed
    On the last page, with them all charging into battle

Look at Bart

Just so goddamn happy that Max is back

Brings a tear to my eye

Me Too! on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dark Wolverine #77 - I've really enjoyed how Way and Liu have used this arc to set Daken up as a Machiavellian schemer that doesn't need to rely on his physical abilities. This issue ends the arc with a nice little monologue that allows the reader inside Daken's head for a moment, clarifying his motives and intent.
    5ow0wj.jpg

2r79ev9.jpg

Secret Warriors #7 - This issue kicks off a new arc, with Baron Strucker requesting Norman Osborn's assistance it curtailing Fury's activities. There's not a lot in the way of action outside the opening bank robbery, but I'm really enjoying the characterization of the Secret Warriors, most notably Phobos and Hellfire, who play well off each other. I'm also really digging the art for this issue. The linework is reminiscent of a grittier Jim Cheung, with the colors giving the whole package a kind of soft, European watercolor look.
    2rrqfd4.jpg

Munch on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This Deadpool arc has been really awesome so far. This last issue was great.

The raddest pirate ever.

Sharp101 on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man.

So many awesome things going on.

I hope someone didn't steal my mail. If I'm lucky, I'll have last week's books tomorrow, and this week's books on tuesday.

HadjiQuest on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Gotta go with Guardians of the Galaxy gissue geventeen. I mean, issue seventeen.
    The giant Lovecraftian entity attack on Attilan, the Groot/Maximus patter, Warlock rushing to the rescue backed by the Universal Church... it was full of great moments. And that finale!

I don't know how many people are familiar with the origin of the first Magus, but this was a huuuge 'oh shit' moment for me. I can only pray that the horror that is the Magus 'fro does not come to pass.

And here I was thinking that the cosmic stuff was going to slow down...

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    OMG, Initiative. I only wish it showed if the daughter actually got the diary.

DarkWarrior on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Flash Rebirth #4 was pretty good. A ton of stuff happened this issue. In fact, I would say Johns needed to correct the pacing of this arc a bit, and move some of the action to the earlier issues which were kind of slow. Issue 4 was basically the first major action of the arc.

Lucascraft on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My moment of the week was seeing Dark Beast getting stabbed repeatedly in the chest, because he's lame.

desc on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Runaways is completely skipable now.

Yeah I'm getting that feeling as well. It sucks because besides U. Spider-Man Runaways is what got me into comics and now I just couldn't care less. Oh well guess it's time to drop it.

smokmnky on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    After reading the summary for 13, it seems like Immonen is doing her best to burn down everything that Whedon and Moore did on Runaways and pretend that she came on right after Vaughn left. Shame, I liked her Hellcat mini.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    desc wrote: »
    My moment of the week was seeing Dark Beast getting stabbed repeatedly in the chest, because he's lame.

I too grinned at that point. I just need him alive long enough to bring X-Man back and then he can cease to exsist for all I care.

Caveman Paws on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    After reading the summary for 13, it seems like Immonen is doing her best to burn down everything that Whedon and Moore did on Runaways and pretend that she came on right after Vaughn left. Shame, I liked her Hellcat mini.

Uhh...

I'm not seeing the bad there.

Bloods End on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bloods End wrote: »

Uhh...

I'm not seeing the bad there.

Whedon's stuff was actually interesting if you read it all at once. The delays really hurt his story but he set a lot of cool stuff up that no one has looked at. As for Moore's eh I don't know that wasn't all that great.

smokmnky on
  • KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My MOTW was Hickman on FANTASTIC FOUR. Millar's run couldn't end fast enough for me.

KidDork on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    New FF writer? Wheeeeeee

I try to keep the hate to respectable level since Millar is definitely better than average and sometimes brilliant but holy shit I wanted to gouge out his eyes every time I read FF.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited August 2009
    I love Mark Millar, but I have to admit that Hickman's first issue was better than 90% of Millar's FF run.

Hensler on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, I saw the cover to this week's Teen Titans online somewhere.

Good grief, who is it this time?

TeaSpoon on
    edited August 2009
    Kid Devil

TexiKen on
    edited August 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Kid Devil

*Sigh* Goddamnit, McKeever.

TeaSpoon on
    edited August 2009
    This is just going to lead him to making a fresh deal with the Devil(s) and getting his powers back.

Hensler on
    edited August 2009
    McKeever isn't writing it anymore I think, it's someone else. JT Krul or some chick.

TexiKen on
    edited August 2009
    It's Bryan Miller writing it now.

Hensler on
    edited August 2009
    So, is Bryan Miller better than McKeever? Or at least not depending on cheap shock value?

Teen Titans used to be one of my favorite books. The rather tasteless cover of this week's TT doesn't bode well, but I'm willing to believe it's part of a greater plot.

TeaSpoon on
    edited August 2009
    It's better than McKeever, but the book has still been tying up loose ends, and the last arc used a lot of D-List villains. But the new arc starts next issue, and will have the full new roster - including Bart and Connor, so that might be a good new place to give the book a real assessment.

Hensler on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    To be fair, the character that died off sucked.

Fencingsax on
    edited August 2009
    He did, but the way he died was really stupid.
    Setting a nuke off above a city? Yeah, that's just going to double the effect of the explosion, not save the city. Heroes made the same mistake a while ago

But killing him off, and giving Ravager her own backup feature to go stink up, means that they are trying to make the Teen Titans have an interesting roster. On paper at least.

Hensler on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, Beta Ray Bill Godhunter had a good ending
    Galactus' death would kill trillions and trillions of lives, so Bill decides to let him feed, and then protects him from the I'than Dominion. After talking to Bill, Galactus is able to bring back on Korbonite for Bill to protect, a lady Korbonite. His selflessness made him worthy of Stormbreaker once more.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Galactus' death would kill trillions and trillions of lives, so Bill decides to let him feed, and then protects him from the I'than Dominion. After talking to Bill, Galactus is able to bring back on Korbonite for Bill to protect, a lady Korbonite. His selflessness made him worthy of Stormbreaker once more.

Lol Deus Ex Machina endings.

Synthetic Orange on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Not really, not really at all

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    so daken seems like he may be written as an interesting character. Unfortunately the fact that he looks like he should be at a Black Flag concert will probably keep me from ever caring.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    so daken seems like he may be written as an interesting character. Unfortunately the fact that he looks like he should be at a Black Flag concert will probably keep me from ever caring.

Who's going to tell him to get a haircut? His dad?

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    An entire issue dedicated to Wolverine fighting Daken in order to style his hair would be amazing.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Ugh, I don't think you know what that means.

It's well, WELL established that Galactus death would have horrible and cataclysmic (literally) effects on the rest of the universe. Even beyond the trillions that would be killed in the nearby radius, his death would release a far more destructive force of consumption into the universe. Bill's entire quest was insane and irrational. He should have realized this as soon as he couldn't lift Stormbreaker, instead of arming himself with a fool's armory.

mattharvest on