As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Window-[Chat]ter (hey Than, check pg 19)

1252627282931»

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    No it wouldn't.

It's kinda depressing to think of that we're probably stuck here.

No we aren't.

In the sense that we'll never have a space empire the way every sci-fi movie and game has.

I get sad thinking about that. I want to believe!

Physics is at least half a century away from being sure of that.

Any FTL is still very farfetched though. It would be incredibly fuckawesome if they announced "hey guys! this shit might actually work!"

I would then devote my life to making sure someone said the words "Warp speed fuck yeah" as soon as possible.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aw shit. I got myself into an argument in the D3 thread as usual. I gotta stop going in there.

urahonky on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    *burp*

Someone touch my tummy.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    No it wouldn't.

No we aren't.

In the sense that we'll never have a space empire the way every sci-fi movie and game has.

Any FTL is still very farfetched though. It would be incredibly fuckawesome if they announced "hey guys! this shit might actually work!"

I would then devote my life to making sure someone said the words "Warp speed fuck yeah" as soon as possible.

No way, Event Horizon FTL is where it's at.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Cinders wrote: »
    No it wouldn't.

No we aren't.

I'd vastly prefer not taking the shortcut through hell.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cinders wrote: »

I'd vastly prefer not taking the shortcut through hell.

It'll be fun!

Cinders on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah everytime I start getting down on advances, I just think of the stuff in the 50s they thought we'd have and no one guessed anything like the internet.

Quite a number of fields have benefited from the sciences and, in general, a more scientific approach in the last 50-75 years as well.

Archeology, as a science, is at best about 100 years old. And prior to WWII there were probably less than a hundred archeologists working in the entire world. Between their work, all of the new dating techniques (and carbon dating is just the first and most famous among many) and the massive leaps in linguistics and the discovering and deciphering of ancient languaes there is so much more fact known about the past today than there ever has been before.

And all of this based on hard work and scientific process. Not secret archives in the Vatican or revealed truths or the machinations of ancient conspiracies.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Haphazard wrote: »
    *burp*

Someone touch my tummy.

*rub. . .rub. . .*

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah everytime I start getting down on advances, I just think of the stuff in the 50s they thought we'd have and no one guessed anything like the internet.

Quite a number of fields have benefited from the sciences and, in general, a more scientific approach in the last 50-75 years as well.

Archeology, as a science, is at best about 100 years old. And prior to WWII there were probably less than a hundred archeologists working in the entire world. Between their work, all of the new dating techniques (and carbon dating is just the first and most famous among many) and the massive leaps in linguistics and the discovering and deciphering of ancient languaes there is so much more fact known about the past today than there ever has been before.

And all of this based on hard work and scientific process. Not secret archives in the Vatican or revealed truths or the machinations of ancient conspiracies.

You're right, well written, but that had nothing to do with what he said. He said that it's incredibly hard to predict the future. The internet was a huge advance and no-one predicted anything like it.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    *burp*

Someone touch my tummy.

*rub. . .rub. . .*

*kabooooom*

And to think some cultures think it a lucky charm...

Haphazard on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This kedgeree is going to be mostly rice because I thought there was more fish than there actually is.

japan on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    soooooooo any threads which make me want to do research for them rather than the research for my thesis.

I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but I think it's going to be fun :D

BobCesca on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    No it wouldn't.

No we aren't.

Hence the "half a century".

The fact is physics today is in a much less settled state than it was 10 years ago. It wasn't long ago that even Stephen Hawking was saying we would likely have a unified theory wrapped up in another decade of work or so.
    Then in 1998 (or was it 99? can't recall) the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the universe began a series of shakeups that are still going on. We live in a time very much comparable to the very late 1800s or late 1920s: right on the verge of a massive revolution in physics. We are currently at the stage of finding more and more freaking weird experimental data that has to be patched onto existing theory (eg: I think the discovery of dark energy will be our Michelson-Morley).

Sometime, maybe next year maybe in 10 years, there will be enough data to allow people to start piecing together a new (good) theory that really works with this.

In any given issue of New Scientist you will find half a dozen articles about people who think they already have. But the data is just not there yet. Anyone telling you right now they have such a theory is at best jumping the gun and is more likely a crackpot.

edit: By which I mean by our current theories FTL is farfetched, but we know our current theories are massively incomplete and won't be around much longer in their current form.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    BobCesca wrote: »
    soooooooo any threads which make me want to do research for them rather than the research for my thesis.

I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but I think it's going to be fun :D

Describing Däniken as anything else but fun wouldn't suit you.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    It looks like my plan to pick up a three day pass at PAX on the starting day has failed miserably.

Curse you, hesitation.

Yeah that was a bad plan, saturday is sold out and friday and sunday are going the same way.

I grabbed a Friday ticket. Sunday isn't really worth it. Saturday is a real loss though.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am singing to my cat, over and over, "You're the besssst, arooooound, nothing's ever gonna keep you down!"

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Are there any French people who frequent the PA forums?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I am singing to my cat, over and over, "You're the besssst, arooooound, nothing's ever gonna keep you down!"

And your cat is thinking "duh, I am the cat."

--

French by blood or French by nationality?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Surely. But the closest we got is Richy.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Icenjucar are you going to buy Champions.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Icenjucar are you going to buy Champions.

I bought the 6 month package.

If I had a job I would have grabbed the life package.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Surely. But the closest we got is Richy.

I'm just curious why, in various forums that I venture off to, there's a smattering of German and Scandinavian and Dutch people, but never any French people.

I also am idly wondering why I have despised every French person I have met, and have generally thought every German person I've met was awesome.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    I forgot to ask Drez what he did with Irene.

EDIT: Loren, the idea that the French have their own secret Internet has been brought up a few times.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2009
    20050919h.jpg

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.