As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] Morning runs

hdctambienhdctambien Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
Is anyone else coming to PAX also a runner? I'm training for a marathon in October, and I'd rather not miss out on 4-5 days of training, so I'm going to try to get up early a few mornings before the doors open and bang out a couple miles. It would be pretty cool to get a group of people to run with, and it seems like a pretty scenic city to run through.

I'd like to get 4 - 8 miles in on Friday and Saturday, at any pace (7-8min pace is my comfort zone, but with good company I can run at any pace ... probably not too much faster than 6:30's though).

Any one interested in forming a make-shift running group for the weekend?

hdctambien on

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm training for a marathon in October as well. I have two runs I need to make during my time out there. 8 and 12 miles.

I typically run around a 9 minute pace.

If you want company, I'd be happy to join you. I'm out in Seattle on Wednesday afternoon and I'm there through Monday morning.

Ardor on
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm a amateur triathlete. I tried to do this last year. I'm told that the trail along the waterfront is a nice running trail.

"Told" because I severely under-estimated the amount of time that PAX would suck out of our visit to Seattle. Or if you prefer, I OVER-estimated the amount of "free" time I would have. Either way, staying out until 2-3 AM every night was not exactly conducive to getting up at 7AM for an early morning jog! (Although the weather was -perfect- for running.) Our days went like this: get up, eat, go to PAX (time passes), go back to the hotel, pass out, repeat.

It may hurt to miss 4-5 days of training, and you probably don't want to hear it but unless you really want to miss a lot of PAX goodness, you're probably going to have to simply suck it up and miss the training. If you're training for a marathon in October you should have plenty of time to pick up from a few missed training runs. Call it a recovery week(end) and be done with it.

I'm not even going bother bringing my shoes this year.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    OzzimoOzzimo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I want you to know I read the topic as "Morning Runs: How to deal with being hungover at PAX" Guess I know where my mind is at.

Ozzimo on
  • Options
    TeknotronicTeknotronic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ozzimo wrote: »
    I want you to know I read the topic as "Morning Runs: How to deal with being hungover at PAX" Guess I know where my mind is at.

You aren't alone, I usually get the morning runs after a tall cup of Jo.

Commend those gamers that actually have the time and energy to do things like this, I only run if I am being chased.

Teknotronic on
  • Options
    The DermThe Derm Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    From experience last year, I will attest that the run along the water (down to the piers from Queen Anne district and then north along the path) was quite nice.

I expect to run Saturday, but unlikely for Sunday, but will be in the Pike Market area for my starting point.

Last year I saw a seal eating its breakfast (salmon!)

The Derm on
    Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position
    Such a heavy burden now to be the one
    Born to bare and read to all the details of our ending
    To write it down for all the world to see
    But I forgot my pen...
  • Options
    refragrefrag Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The Derm wrote: »
    From experience last year, I will attest that the run along the water (down to the piers from Queen Anne district and then north along the path) was quite nice.

The pier boardwalk is definitely a nice route. I tried to keep going to find Discovery Park in when I was in Seattle in July, but got lost at Smith Cove Park. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/8684377

I too am training for a marathon in October. Though I've almost conceded I wont be running while at PAX. Just too much going on.

I did my first 20miler this past weekend. I'll throw in another long run this coming weekend. PAX weekend will be a rest weekend. I'll run on the Wednesday before I leave, and the Monday after I get back. Not ideal, but it'll have to do. I just can't see myself getting any decent training in during PAX.

With that said - I'm also a sucker for peer pressure. ;)

refrag on
  • Options
    ReverendJynxedReverendJynxed Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ozzimo wrote: »

You aren't alone, I usually get the morning runs after a tall cup of Jo.

Commend those gamers that actually have the time and energy to do things like this, I only run if I am being chased.

I just stand still and shoot. Running takes more effort than pulling a trigger :P

ReverendJynxed on
  • Options
    hdctambienhdctambien Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think I'm going to run Friday and Saturday morning at 7:00. The route along the ocean looks promising. I'll start just outside the convention center, everyone should be able to find that, right!

I'll be there rain or shine, so if you find yourself awake that early, or just haven't stumbled home yet and want to try to run yourself sober you know where to find me.

hdctambien on
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This sounds like fun, I just started running again after breaking my foot so I wouldn't be able to keep up with alot of you, but I have been getting in 4 mile runs @ 8-9min pace, 4-6 times a week for the past couple weeks. I might try this jog to down by the waterfront. I bet the hills of seattle are good for training. :)

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Options
    murtemurte Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What I'd like to know is where. Up north is flat and much easier for me but downtown and most of seattle is.. rough. hrm waterfront. So many hills kill me fast.

murte on
    PAX Prime 2011
    (+) PAX Prime 3-day - In my hands!
    (+) PAX Dev 2-day - READY
    (+) BYOC - READY
    (+) Hotel - READY
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    This my run last year (as well as I can remember it)
    2008 pre-pax run

Will likely try something similar this year, but starting from the Westin (on 5th)

The Derm on
    But I forgot my pen...
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I will also be starting from the Westin. Thats a cool site, I've been using google maps for that for a couple years, but I didn't know there was a site like that.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Neither did I until this morning :)

I don't arrive until Friday noon, and will be heading straight for PAX.
    How do you feel about a Saturday AM run?

The Derm on
    But I forgot my pen...
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I will try to be there, but can make no promises. Depending on time and what's going on, my buddy and I might just use the Sheraton fitness center instead.

Ardor on
This discussion has been closed.