As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flash Drives and Games: Looking for suggestions

citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizenI'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
Okay, so...for various reasons I'm not going to be doing a lot of gaming on my primary PC at home for a while.

I'm an addict, however, and I need my pixel fix.

My only recourse for now is going to be my wife's laptop. Certainly not a gaming-friendly piece...2GHz single-core celeron, 1GB RAM and no real video power to speak of.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on games that I can run that fit these criteria:

1. Freeware/Open source (I'm broke)
2. Low-end requirements (slow computer)
3. Can run from a USB flash drive (technically not MY computer so I want to keep my stuff off of it)

Genre doesn't really matter, I'm open to just about anything. I just need some suggestions on games that won't leave any kind of footprint on my wife's computer, will actually RUN on it, and won't cost me a dime.

Thus, I come here, to the vast repository of gaming knowledge that is the PA G&T forum.

citizen059 on

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you're into Roguelikes, I've put quite a few hours into Moria - abandon/shareware dungeoncrawl based mostly on D&D mechanics, with randomly generated dungeons and a town level.

KalTorak on
  • darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cave Story comes to mind.

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • KogareruKogareru Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I suggest GTA 2 I keep it on my usb drive as an emergency fix. :)

Kogareru on
    GW2: mKoga-Ultra
    steam_sig.png
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm not sure how the installer works (in or out of Steam), but Plants Vs. Zombies should be light enough on resources for that.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The Ur-Quan Masters is both awesome and free. . . it's Freesome!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    If you're into Roguelikes, I've put quite a few hours into Moria - abandon/shareware dungeoncrawl based mostly on D&D mechanics, with randomly generated dungeons and a town level.

I think Angband supplanted Moria years and years ago. There hasn't been a new version of Moria since 1994, when I think someone made a Windows 3.11 port.

Some broad suggestions:

Roguelikes of all kinds
    Star Control II
    Text adventures
    Online Flash games
    Dwarf Fortress

I'm not sure if Steel Panthers: World at War will run off a flash drive or not, but it's free.

Orogogus on
  • MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was hopelessly addicted to Souptoys for the longest time. The only reason I stopped playing it is because flash drives are no longer allowed on computers at work.

http://www.souptoys.com/

It's basically a desktop toybox that you can build your own stuff out of. There is a bunch of user submitted "playsets" that show off various things you can do, but there are a lot of that bunch that are total crap. The makers feature playsets that they enjoy on the front page, so that might make it easier to find something to spark the imagination.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You could try the Marathon games. I think they'll work from a thumbdrive since all you're doing is unzipping them and running an exe.

Dartboy on
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've got Master of Magic and DOSBox on a USB drive.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Orogogus wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »

I think Angband supplanted Moria years and years ago. There hasn't been a new version of Moria since 1994, when I think someone made a Windows 3.11 port.

Some broad suggestions:

Roguelikes of all kinds
    Star Control II
    Text adventures
    Online Flash games
    Dwarf Fortress

I'm not sure if Steel Panthers: World at War will run off a flash drive or not, but it's free.

Probably true - I just play Moria because of the nostalgia factor.

KalTorak on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for the ideas, I'll have to check some of these out.

The DOSBox thing gives me an idea as well, I have a copy of GP2 floating around somewhere...hmm :P

citizen059 on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kogareru wrote: »
    I suggest GTA 2 I keep it on my usb drive as an emergency fix. :)

THANK YOU! I have been looking for that site forever!

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • The Big LevinskyThe Big Levinsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you can find it, the original Dominions demo. Dominions 2 and 3 demos have a 50 turn limit, but you can play a whole game on the original demo. You just can't do high level magic research and some military units are disabled.

The Big Levinsky on
  • KogareruKogareru Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    THANK YOU! I have been looking for that site forever!

No problem!

also for the OP another good one (although you would have to buy it :( ) would be this.

Kogareru on
    GW2: mKoga-Ultra
    steam_sig.png
  • OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've had a diablo install on a flash drive of mine for a while which would probably work

Ohtsam on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you've got the disc(s) Fallout 1/2 are good because they can both fit on a decent sized Flash drive (both came on a single CD each, ergo less then a gig. Maybe even total.) Just install the game to the flash drive, then copy over rest of the files from the CD onto the drive then edit an ini file. Just make a shortcut to the exe and you can play it anywhere.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    System Shock Portable is great, and pretty much designed for running off a flash drive.

Dehumanized on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    N would work, right? I think it doesn't require an install.

jothki on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Spelunky! Awesome game. Not sure if there's a newer version out? Does anyone know?

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=4017.0

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • NebulousQNebulousQ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Moorening wrote: »
    I was hopelessly addicted to Souptoys for the longest time. The only reason I stopped playing it is because flash drives are no longer allowed on computers at work.

Really? May I ask where you work? I am guessing the government?

Edit: And I also recommend The Urquan masters. Even if the main game gets a little tedious, you can run the combat simulator and that is pretty fun to full around with.

NebulousQ on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I keep one or two Touhou Project games on my thumb drive <3

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767