As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MISC] Pre-Pre-PAX Events in Vancouver BC:

• SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    X1Zero wrote: »
    I also had the OP updated as I have one person coming with me.
    So yes, myself and one other are attending and I am supposed to bring something important...but I just can't remember what that was :winky:

As for game suggestions:

X360: Call of Duty 4, CoD World at War, Halo 3, Left 4 Dead
    Wii: Sports (esp. Golf!), Mario Kart, Super Smash Bro, Mario Party

I agree with all those games... SSBB is a must! Not so much for the FPS on consoles, though I'll still play them.
    So how does this thing work? How do we acquire the games? Sign em out I'm assuming?

Oh yeah and Zero, you forgot Rockband!

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • X1ZeroX1Zero Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Serenity wrote: »
    Oh yeah and Zero, you forgot Rockband!

Doh! My bad! Of course Rock Band.

You can throw in Guitar Hero in there too which I like :)

X1Zero on
    - X1Zero
  • SilentDanSilentDan Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    I can make it to the games night.

SilentDan on
  • rythos42rythos42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm thinking about attending...can I be marked down as a "maybe"?

I have an event to go to that afternoon, and if that event turns into "drinking heavily" I'm not coming to meet new people, I'm going to stay safely in the realm of "people who at least tolerate me when drunk" :P

rythos42 on
  • SpiraUnitedSpiraUnited Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hm, put me down as a maybe on the Wing night. Not sure of my work schedule yet.

SpiraUnited on
  • ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    THE FINAL [strike]COUNTDOWN[/strike] GAMING NIGHT UPDATE!

It's almost PAX! Sqeeee!

Tomorrow. Jimz Gamer Lounge. 7pm to 10pm. $20 gets you admission. You'll also get a complimentary hot dog and a bottle of water. Condiments will be provided. We'll start the barbeque right at 7pm.

Food

Everyone is guaranteed 1 hot dog. If we don't get as many stray forum-ers as last year, you might get two. MIGHT. I've also got half-a-dozen veggies dogs for the [strike]pansies[/strike] vegetarians. One bottle of water, but it's the cheap Costco stuff. I, personally, am buying a Monster energy drink. Monster, pop, and candy are for sale at very reasonable prices.

Big Screen Stations

The Lounge has 3 of them, 2 Xbox 360s and 1 Wii. These stations have 1 console, a very large TV, and a couch.

The Wii will no-doubt be popular. There are 4 Wiimotes and 4 Nunchucks. We can change between Mario Kart, Boom Blox, Super Smash Bros, Mario Party, and Wii Sports. All of those titles are on location, no need to bring your discs.

If it's anything like last year, one Xbox will have Rock Band on it most of the evening. If you have a giant collection of DLC songs and an urge to show off your better-than-average skills, feel free to bring your Xbox hard drive!

The other Xbox is up in the air. I'd suggest playing Castle Crashers on it. I've got it on my hard drive. We'll go with the flow, you know?

Individual Stations

There are a lot of these. A few PS3s. Lots and lots of Xbox 360s. Each station has a 32" HDTV and a crazy rumble gaming chair. They are all LANed up. I'd highly recommend a big brawl of Halo 3 like we did last year. There are more than enough copies for everyone, and setting up a LAN game is painless. Because each Xbox does not have a Silver account, it doesn't have the DLC maps which means no Grifball. I'm going to see if I can find (or Forge) a Grifball court onto a different map this evening... I must have my Grifball!

CoD4/CoD5 LAN sounds good too. I'd really like to try Nazi Zombies!

If anyone wants to do some Left 4 Dead, we've only got 3 copies. I'll need 1 other person to bring a copy if possible. Post below if you can.

Honestly, this place has a ton of games. Everyone is free to see the collection and change out their own station at any time. So long as you're having a good time, I'm happy. :D

Things You Should Bring:
    • ~$25 ($20 for admission, $5 for candy and energy drink?)
    • Your Xbox 360 hard drive (if you have one)
    • BUTTONS!
    • A tissue for when I beat you in every video game ever made. (IT'S ON!)

If you've got questions, post 'em. If you'd like my cell phone number, please PM me.

See you tomorrow!

ACC3SS on
  • refragrefrag Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ACC3SS wrote: »
    I've also got half-a-dozen veggies dogs for the [strike]pansies[/strike] vegetarians.

Wow that's very kind of you! Thanks for thinking of us [strike]superior-beings[/strike] vegetarians.

refrag on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I bet refrag will be the only vegetarian.

parabola on
    edited August 2009
    that's ok, I'll eat vegetarian if it means I get more food...

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

damn you, that was *my* plan

tr0tsky on
    edited August 2009
    tr0tsky wrote: »

damn you, that was *my* plan

Lisa: Wait Dad! Good news, everyone! You don't have to eat meat! I've got enough gazpacho for everyone.
    [Crowd murmurs]

refrag on
    edited August 2009
    Heh, I like that episode...
    See you all tomorrow!

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
    edited August 2009
    Hmm...now to decide if I want to drive or transit. Time to find out how long each would take.

Hmm...1:18 vs 0:41. Absinthe, you want a ride out? :P

tr0tsky on
  • AbsintheMindedAbsintheMinded Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sure if you decide to drive.

If not we can meet up at the skytrain and do some DSing on our way out there. :mrgreen:

AbsintheMinded on
    edited August 2009
    I'm gonna drive. I'll give you a call when I'm on my way over, just meet me on the other side of the street again.

tr0tsky on
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I think more people should plan on making the trek all the long long way to abbotsford tomorrow.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
    edited August 2009
    Sumi wrote: »
    So I think more people should plan on making the trek all the long long way to abbotsford tomorrow.
    I've been trying to convince everyone I talk to about PAX to join the raid this Saturday.

No one seems to like Abbotsford.... That or they have tickets to AC/DC.

AbsintheMinded on
    edited August 2009
    They're probably afraid they will become involved in a gang shooting.

Sumi on
  • TherosTheros Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've been trying to convince everyone I talk to about PAX to join the raid this Saturday.

No one seems to like Abbotsford.... That or they have tickets to AC/DC.

...I has tickets to AC/DC I does...

Theros on
    edited August 2009
    I've had just the right amount of beer this afternoon to make me think it might be a good idea to come out and get my ass handed to me at all sorts of video games (except Rock Band, which is cooperative, which I fully support :P).

However, no amount of beer will convince me that it's a good idea to go to Abbotsford tomorrow :P

rythos42 on
    edited August 2009
    4c98a3a35e882862de97dc628e1c5429.jpg

:D

ACC3SS on
    edited August 2009

Haha, well played...
    Well that was fun...
    Thanks for doin' that Access...

See you all on wings night. I was originally not going to go seeing as it's the night before PAX travel day and it's all the way heck in downtown. But apparently Sumi lives in Abby and she's going so I have no excuse living in Maple Ridge :P

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Game night was awesome, makes me want to start playing CODWAW again - even if only for Nazi Zombie mode. Good to get to know the local folks a bit better.

Epic Wings night will be epic.

de4dmeta1 on
    edited August 2009
    See you all on wings night. I was originally not going to go seeing as it's the night before PAX travel day and it's all the way heck in downtown. But apparently Sumi lives in Abby and she's going so I have no excuse living in Maple Ridge :P

Damn right. :P

Sumi on
    edited August 2009
    Thanks folks, I had a great time. Although now I wish I owned a 360 instead of a Wii so I could play Castle Crashers >.>. That game was wicked awesome.

rythos42 on
    edited August 2009

I'm making a note here. Huge Success!

I had an excellent time. And ACC3SS - you were the host with the most. Thank you for working so hard to put this event on and making the effort to ensure everyone was having a good time.

Now did anyone else have nightmares of Zombie Nazis?

refrag on
  • honestDhonestD Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It was great meeting everyone last night at Jimz, thanks a lot for setting this up Acc3ss!

Also, can you put me down for FTWings? I'm always down for some DS, yo. Does everyone know what they're bringing so that I can come prepared (y'know, aside from Mario Kart and Tetris)?

HD
    The lurker with the Hadoken shirt

honestD on
    In Vancouver? Want to meet up and play some Games?
    http://www.meetup.com/Vancouver-Gamers-Group/

Now with Twitter! @HonestoDoragon

Pokemon Black: 4555 9510 3686
  • honestDhonestD Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh, also, was there any plan for a Post Pax Vancouver event yet? If there isn't, we should start planning it now, and if there is, why didn't anyone tell me?

honestD on
    In Vancouver? Want to meet up and play some Games?
    http://www.meetup.com/Vancouver-Gamers-Group/

Now with Twitter! @HonestoDoragon

Pokemon Black: 4555 9510 3686
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There hasn't really been any planning for post-pax stuff yet. There were some suggestions for pre-pax that didn't happen that might fit for post-pax, but we'll have to see.

Wormdundee on
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't know how I'm getting across town this evening, but I'll be there.

b0wser on
    edited August 2009
    refrag wrote: »
    Now did anyone else have nightmares of Zombie Nazis?

Not really - I had one of those awesome 'action movie' style dreams - I think it even had the round counter in the bottom left of the 'screen'. Only thing missing was the awesome surround-sound chair.

de4dmeta1 on
    edited August 2009
    refrag wrote: »
    And ACC3SS - you were the host with the most.

D'awww. :mrgreen:

honestD wrote: »
    Oh, also, was there any plan for a Post Pax Vancouver event yet? If there isn't, we should start planning it now, and if there is, why didn't anyone tell me?

I'm thinking the Saturday Morning Cartoon Party on September 12th would be a good start. To be honest, I'm still trying to do a lot of planning for PAX itself... Post-PAX is definitely on the back-burner right now.

ACC3SS on
    edited August 2009

Post PAX is such a depressing concept as it further points out PAX is over at that time.

Personally I'll be looking to plan some Pre-PAX East events after we get back from Seattle. :winky:

AbsintheMinded on
    edited August 2009

Post PAX is such a depressing concept as it further points out PAX is over at that time.

Personally I'll be looking to plan some Pre-PAX East events after we get back from Seattle. :winky:

This. After this PAX, the concept of 'post-pax' will be all but obsolete. I think it'll last a month, tops.

de4dmeta1 on
  • Nuclear WizardNuclear Wizard Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    I'll be attending FTWings with SmallLady, and bringing two extra friends as well.

Nuclear Wizard on
    edited August 2009
    I'll be attending FTWings with SmallLady, and bringing two extra friends as well.

So were you her already listed +1 or is that three new people? :P

AbsintheMinded on
    edited August 2009
    Eric's not coming anymore, but I'll still be there at 8.

Sumi on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    no

It's Nuclear + 1
    and Me +1

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    edited August 2009
    I'm posting this right when I get home because it was that awesome. I had a ridiculously good time. Yes, that's right, ridiculously.

Sumi on
    edited August 2009
    I'm posting this right when I get home because it was that awesome. I had a ridiculously good time. Yes, that's right, ridiculously.

Yeah it was much better than silly AC/DC.

AbsintheMinded on
This discussion has been closed.