As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Computer choices - Please Help :(

mfroggmfrogg Registered User regular
I want to :
A) Run WoW really well.
B) Run it on my Samsung 42" HDTV via HD cable (or DVI->HD adapter)
C) Convert WMA to ITunes really fast, as I do about 3 hours of audio at a time.

Potential upgrades for the future, may or may not happen - so... ya know - here's my other info:

I'm too ignorant to know better by todays computer standards. On one hand, I read a blue post in WoW Forums say WoW only uses 2 threads, so 4 cores is pointless. Trying to take that into consideration,
and graphics cards, which PC do you think is better? I don't have time to part out and buy each thing, unfortunately, so premade is what I've got access to.

The Asus CG5270-BP003 computer :
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9366633&type=product&id=1218092152998

or the Gateway DX4300-30 computer :
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9361022&type=product&id=1218091194541

or other BestBuy prebuilt you think is more than better but under $700?

What do you think is better for my needs, and why? Hopefully, this is a temporary computer, as I'd like to get a nice powerful Imac when I can drop the 1600$.

mfrogg on

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This computer is better than either and cheaper. Well depending on exactly what a GT 220 is, I guess.

$1600 is the cost of a fucking iMac, these days?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Looks like they just popped in a different processor than the Gateway I currently am.. uh.. (borrowing) from Bestbuy. hmm..

mfrogg on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    mfrogg wrote: »
    I want to :
    A) Run WoW really well.
    B) Run it on my Samsung 42" HDTV via HD cable (or DVI->HD adapter)
    C) Convert WMA to ITunes really fast, as I do about 3 hours of audio at a time.

Potential upgrades for the future, may or may not happen - so... ya know - here's my other info:

I'm too ignorant to know better by todays computer standards. On one hand, I read a blue post in WoW Forums say WoW only uses 2 threads, so 4 cores is pointless. Trying to take that into consideration,
    and graphics cards, which PC do you think is better? I don't have time to part out and buy each thing, unfortunately, so premade is what I've got access to.
    Well, 4 cores isn't entirely pointless. Those cores can execute threads that aren't WoW while the other cores are playing. But really, how well is really well? I could pop a video card in my toaster and run WoW on lowest settings. Any current standard PC (read comes with at least a dual core processer and 1GB RAM) can run WoW on middle to high settings as long as you have a proper video card. I have 70$ video card in my PC that runs WoW with all settings but draw distance turned up in Northrend.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I like LLC's option better than the ones you chose.

The Phenom II is much better than the original Phenom.

Also you can plug in a different graphics card in the future if you want.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    eh - currently, I can't use shadows, because it lags my card I think. But spell particles aren't a problem. I want to be able to do iTunes conversions while I'm playing, and maintain decent control, not slideshow psychic guessing game.

I thought upgrading my card to a NVidia 250 would help, but I ended up shorting something in my box, so - paperweight..yeah.

Too impatient to part search and wait for the arrival - so bestbuy has these two computers vying for attention. Hoping they'll last a few good years through new WoW expansions.

mfrogg on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    After stripping out everything and rebuilding my box, it seems to be working again. MAybe return the computer to Bestbuy and get a new PSU and GP for 300, versus a 699 new thing.

mfrogg on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    This thread is somehow not making me feel needed or useful.

But I'll try some more.

Tell us about the computer you have now. Maybe we can suggest a video card that wouldn't even need a PSU. And for the love of all that is holy don't go to BB to buy either a PSU or a Video Card. Their selection and pricing is terrible.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I have a custom built box, using a 450 though I suspect my PSU is shot.

The board is a gigabyte something or other, that came out near the beginning of SLI. It holds an Athlon AMD X2 64 bit chip, at 3500.

My gpu is an nvidiya 3DFusion 8600 I think. I can't remember.heh. 2 Gigs of ram, DDR-333.

A DVD-Rom, TDK CD-Burner, several Sata and ATA Hdds. It has onboard sound, but I was using a soundblaster Live! card instead of the RealTek drivers. The Soundblaster kept futzin' out, so removed it and stuck with the RealTek for Ventrilo and WOW.

For a couple months, if not over a year my psu (while off) would start making this "bleep" noise, not out of a speaker, but like, the LED's inside were flashing on and off rapidly and kinda pulsing like a machine gun. I'd just switch the thing off (or unplug it) and it'd be fine.

A couple weeks ago, my first Sata drive died. It was a Seagate I think. All this stuff is at home, I'm so helpful, aren't I? I replaced the drive with a 500g Western Digital. My other sata drive is fine.

Occasionally, I'd expereince hard locks, so I thought it was time to replace the Gpu. On a whim, i switch cases last friday, keeping all the components the same, just changing the skin, as it were.

The next day, my computer turns on, beeps, resets during post drive detection, does the mem test again, resets during post drive detection, repeat one more time, then goes on to load windows and is solid for the rest of my gaming hours (however long that may be, like it just had to warm up or something).

So I get a new Gfx card, plug it in, and Nada - no post. Unplug all other peripherals, hdd's, everything. Just can't get my new XLR8 250 to show screen, and I can tell the Mobo isn't doing crap, because the fan's are on, but not blowing like they normally do. I change back to the old card - nothing.

I get freaked, think my box is bricked, pull the cmos, reset it - still nothing.

I take the XLR8 back, grab the Gateway box listed in the OP, and read reviews later saying it's a peice of junk. In my position, it does what I need it to do - it's an upgrade all around, but still, buyer's remorse sets in. I go home the next night, try the old box again, and "beep - post - loading windows" ...wtf? Shut down, did it again, up no problem.

Day later, I decide I'll take the Gateway back since my old box is working. Screw all the stuff back into the case, turn it on.. nothing. Unscrew everything, hold the mobo by non-grounding sections, turn it on, nothing. Keep trying because I'm a glutton for punishment - about the 8th time - it works. post is fine - no hdd's in, so BIOS complains about a change in status.

Set the board delicately back on the screws in the case, maybe it's a grounding problem? Turns on, Posts. PLug in the HD - turns on, loading windows. Shut down, gently screw stuff together - power on - nothing.

Pull the board again - maybe I'll rig a floating set up - void of touching grounded metal for the board. Holding it - in my hands - power on - nothing but black.

So now I'm back to keeping the gateway - as it does what it is supposed too - even though it's not 'the best' - I can deal.

Even tried another PSU - still nothing - switched PCIx slots, nothing. Tried both sticks of mem as individuals in different slots - nothing. Inspected the chip - looks clean, no burn marks or anything. Can't figure it out.

My Needs : play WoW extremely well, with Vent, and iTunes running all the time. Maybe L4D level customizing.

my wants : an iMAc with Windows 7 through Parallels - or - a bad ass cheap machine that'll last me another great couple of years.

TLDR - somethings up with the mobo or the chip - not sure.

mfrogg on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Can you find someone to assemble a computer for you for, say, $50. A local computer shop or a friend you can buy dinner + beers for?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I can build my own...I just don't want to wait for all the parts to fly in from everywhere.

I prefer to build my own - but Madison, Wi doesn't exactly have the best component shops that i've been able to find. If I could, i'd get all the crap tonight and do it.

mfrogg on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I can build my own...I just don't want to wait for all the parts to fly in from everywhere.

I prefer to build my own - but Madison, Wi doesn't exactly have the best component shops that i've been able to find. If I could, i'd get all the crap tonight and do it.

Well, here is the thing. For $700 you can build a kick ass computer or buy a mediocre computer. Even the latter probably requires waiting since you'll likely have to order online to get even that.

IMO, muster some patience and order some parts. Give me a minute to put something together. Do you basically want to spend that $700 or would a computer that met your requirements for less be better?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Less is better - I'll still want an iMac (my wife wants one too, for her gfx design stuff) later.

This computer issue seems like a big deal, only because a bunch of other stuff happened at the same time. heh. Thanks for being patient with me, LLC.

Hdds and CD/DVD roms are still good, btw.

mfrogg on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    What resolution is your monitor?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Samsung HDTV 1080p hopefully via HDMI, but I do have a DVI->HDMI converter.

mfrogg on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hmmm,

Phenom 2 X2 + micro ATX motherboard

OCZ 500W PSU

Powercolor 4870 512 MB video card

4 GB DDR 2 RAM

Total $379 with $30 in Mail in Rebates so $350 assuming they pay out.

For playing games that will be vastly better than the ones at BB.

That's assuming you want to keep your hard drives/DVD/OS/Case.

If you want a new case I suggest the Sonata III w/500W powersupply as the most economic choice for running that video card.

I'm looking into whether cards with built in HDMI are priced reasonably.

[edit]

For playing WoW this 4850 should be fine and has HDMI. In that case I'd go with this PSU.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Will do. Thanks LLC. I appreciate the leg work you did

mfrogg on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ordered - the OCZ link was to the Ram, so I had to search - found one labeled SLI and Crossfire certified about $59.. chose that.

Went with the 4850 card. with shipping, came out to about 416$ all said and done - should get it monday or tuesday.

What's the best way to guage performance? Maybe we make a thread on computers and their scores?

Thanks LlC <3

mfrogg on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have a custom built box, using a 450 though I suspect my PSU is shot.

The board is a gigabyte something or other, that came out near the beginning of SLI. It holds an Athlon AMD X2 64 bit chip, at 3500.

My gpu is an nvidiya 3DFusion 8600 I think. I can't remember.heh. 2 Gigs of ram, DDR-333.

A DVD-Rom, TDK CD-Burner, several Sata and ATA Hdds. It has onboard sound, but I was using a soundblaster Live! card instead of the RealTek drivers. The Soundblaster kept futzin' out, so removed it and stuck with the RealTek for Ventrilo and WOW.

For a couple months, if not over a year my psu (while off) would start making this "bleep" noise, not out of a speaker, but like, the LED's inside were flashing on and off rapidly and kinda pulsing like a machine gun. I'd just switch the thing off (or unplug it) and it'd be fine.

Dude, as soon as a PSU starts acting funny, you replace that sucker. Otherwise you might lose all the other stuff. PSUs are serious biznes.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png